Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 10:51:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/2/2012 10:48:31 AM, yoda878 wrote:
At 3/2/2012 10:39:51 AM, fishing_007 wrote:
I am here Yoda.
Ok what scripture would you like to start with?

Love one another as I have loved you...Love your neighbor as yourself
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 10:57:05 AM
At 3/2/2012 10:51:56 AM, fishing_007 wrote:
I will let you choose.

ok I didn't get thorough all your arguments. so I'll just start with this one.

Matthew 3:13
"Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him."

Jesus went out of His way to John the Baptist to be baptized and said it was necessary for us fulfill all righteousness. Are we better than Jesus that we don't need baptism? And some people believe baptism isn't necessary? I'm thinking Jesus would highly disagree.
Me
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 10:58:44 AM
At 3/2/2012 10:51:29 AM, logicrules wrote:
I am here Yoda.

The pure love of Christ is what we all must try to master.
Me
fishing_007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 11:11:59 AM
Yoda,

Maybe I have misunderstood you. Are you for or against immersion is essential for salvation? From your post, it seems that you are arguing for it. First, we must remember that Jesus desired to do the will of His Father always. Thus, He was to fulfill all righteousness (obeying God's commands) - Ps. 119:172. To obey God's commands is to be righteous in God's sight. Jesus' situation is different from our situation in that He had no sin (1 Pet. 2:21,22). We are sinful beings (Rom. 3:23). Therefore, we are in need of salvation. As I have argued in the debate, there are certain steps of faith and obedience that one must do in order to have access to Christ's blood which is able to cleanse us from our sins which is by God's grace.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 11:21:11 AM
At 3/2/2012 11:11:59 AM, fishing_007 wrote:
Yoda,

Maybe I have misunderstood you. Are you for or against immersion is essential for salvation? From your post, it seems that you are arguing for it. First, we must remember that Jesus desired to do the will of His Father always. Thus, He was to fulfill all righteousness (obeying God's commands) - Ps. 119:172. To obey God's commands is to be righteous in God's sight. Jesus' situation is different from our situation in that He had no sin (1 Pet. 2:21,22). We are sinful beings (Rom. 3:23). Therefore, we are in need of salvation. As I have argued in the debate, there are certain steps of faith and obedience that one must do in order to have access to Christ's blood which is able to cleanse us from our sins which is by God's grace.

I am for, I'm sorry I didn't fully read your debate. I just thought you might do better in here and break down your arguments. I didn't think people would take such long debates, I could be wrong about that. But I am against your first debate.
Me
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 12:30:26 PM
At 3/2/2012 10:58:44 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I am here Yoda.

No water needed.....but there is if you hold to the transignificatioin of Judaism. My guess is you do not.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 1:29:57 PM
At 3/2/2012 12:30:26 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/2/2012 10:58:44 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I am here Yoda.

No water needed.....but there is if you hold to the transignificatioin of Judaism. My guess is you do not.

What do you have that supports not water needed?
Me
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 3:28:14 PM

Was Jesus Christ not baptized by water(immersion)?
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 3:33:42 PM
At 3/2/2012 3:28:14 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Was Jesus Christ not baptized by water(immersion)?
yes, I was asking logic what he was talking about. He said no water needed so i was confused I thought all Christians used water. I know some don't always do immersion though.
I agree with the OP that it must me immersion.... Just encase i didn't make myself clear im doing alot of that today. I should probably get off this site for the rest of the day.
Me
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 3:40:56 PM
Yoda,

The sacraments are a gift - unearned.

I've heard this before - but it doesn't make sense that we would require a savior if we were able to aquire our salvation on our own.

Please provide scripture for these step we need to take?

the scripture you referenced(rom. 3:23) goes on to tell us more:

"21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

So if this was freely given to us, what steps would there need be?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 4:03:51 PM
At 3/2/2012 3:40:56 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Yoda,

I've heard this before - but it doesn't make sense that we would require a savior if we were able to aquire our salvation on our own.

"21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

Wow...Sacraments are those things of earth given a new significance through the incarnatioin....ie A Bath...w/o JC it is just a bath
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 4:11:29 PM
At 3/2/2012 4:03:51 PM, logicrules wrote:
Yoda,

Wow...Sacraments are those things of earth given a new significance through the incarnatioin....ie A Bath...w/o JC it is just a bath

so do you not believe in baptism?
Me
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 4:21:52 PM
At 3/2/2012 4:11:29 PM, yoda878 wrote:
Yoda,

Let us get a few things straight...Belief is that which transcends proof. Thus, I believe in God and as part of that Faith have other beliefs based on theological understanding. Knowledge is based on fact. Inasmuch as people are baptized it is not a question of 'believe in". Next....Baptism is, in orthodox traditions, A SACRAMENT, as such see above. If a theology holds it not to be a sacrament it serves no purpose but to make the individual feel good. I suggest your mothers cooking....it will probably work better.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 4:33:37 PM
At 3/2/2012 4:21:52 PM, logicrules wrote:
Yoda,

Let us get a few things straight...Belief is that which transcends proof. Thus, I believe in God and as part of that Faith have other beliefs based on theological understanding. Knowledge is based on fact. Inasmuch as people are baptized it is not a question of 'believe in". Next....Baptism is, in orthodox traditions, A SACRAMENT, as such see above. If a theology holds it not to be a sacrament it serves no purpose but to make the individual feel good. I suggest your mothers cooking....it will probably work better.

Ok no need to get mad I didn't know some Christians didn't do Baptism
Me
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 4:46:21 PM
At 3/2/2012 4:33:37 PM, yoda878 wrote:
Yoda,

1. Not mad, or even angry
2. I believe in "Baptism for the remission of sin(s)" (the quote are important)
3. Believe in Baptism is an incorrect use of two terms.
4. Many who claim to be Christian are not
5. For a list of essential Christian beliefs see the Nicean Creed, Apostles Creed, etc. these contain the basics.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 4:55:39 PM
At 3/2/2012 4:46:21 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/2/2012 4:33:37 PM, yoda878 wrote:
Yoda,

1. Not mad, or even angry
2. I believe in "Baptism for the remission of sin(s)" (the quote are important)
3. Believe in Baptism is an incorrect use of two terms.
4. Many who claim to be Christian are not
5. For a list of essential Christian beliefs see the Nicean Creed, Apostles Creed, etc. these contain the basics.

ok so you do believe in "baptism for the remission of sins" but you said no water needed on one of the comments and I thought Catholics used water, maybe not immersion. But I think you were talking about sacraments?
Me
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 5:13:30 PM
At 3/2/2012 4:55:39 PM, yoda878 wrote:
ok so you do believe in "baptism for the remission of sins" but you said no water needed on one of the comments and I thought Catholics used water, maybe not immersion. But I think you were talking about sacraments?

Now, the questions here are many....Simple answer....you can get to heaven without baptism...see thief on the cross, Complex answer....without the Christ there is no salvation. There are volumes written on this topic and most on DDO lack the theological understanding or knowledge to have an informed opinion.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 5:28:01 PM
At 3/2/2012 5:13:30 PM, logicrules wrote:

Now, the questions here are many....Simple answer....you can get to heaven without baptism...see thief on the cross, Complex answer....without the Christ there is no salvation. There are volumes written on this topic and most on DDO lack the theological understanding or knowledge to have an informed opinion.

I completely agree with you..

All those creed you listed earlier, we read them frequently.

As for your post to me a page back - was that to me? or in general, because so far all you've said i agree with. Nothing i said was in conflict with any of what you just said..

Do you know what reformed theology is? or perhaps its cousin, lutheran theology?
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 5:35:44 PM
At 3/2/2012 5:28:01 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

As for your post to me a page back - was that to me? or in general, because so far all you've said i agree with. Nothing i said was in conflict with any of what you just said..

Do you know what reformed theology is? or perhaps its cousin, lutheran theology?

Yes...if you mean reformation theology. I am familiar with the theology of Luther. It is one of the reasons we are currently having problems here in the US. Luther's theology is a dependent theology. It depends on the State having the theology of Luther. They all sound nice til people are free.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 5:45:47 PM
At 3/2/2012 5:35:44 PM, logicrules wrote:

Yes...if you mean reformation theology. I am familiar with the theology of Luther. It is one of the reasons we are currently having problems here in the US. Luther's theology is a dependent theology. It depends on the State having the theology of Luther. They all sound nice til people are free.

Logicrules, was Jesus not baptized by water?
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 5:47:28 PM
At 3/2/2012 5:45:47 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Logicrules, was Jesus not baptized by water?

There is a story of John the Baptist initiating Jesus into the Essenes, is that what you men?
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 5:51:05 PM
There is a story of John the Baptist initiating Jesus into the Essenes, is that what you men?

Your beliefs seem to contradict each other. How is it possible that the Bible is infallible, yet also includes Jesus getting baptized by water, but you don't believe in that? Correct me if I am wrong...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 5:54:51 PM
At 3/2/2012 5:51:05 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Your beliefs seem to contradict each other. How is it possible that the Bible is infallible, yet also includes Jesus getting baptized by water, but you don't believe in that? Correct me if I am wrong...

Who told you the bible was infallible? Who told you I believed that? Are you avoiding the question or do you fancy yourself socrates?
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 6:25:01 PM

So in other words 'No" you don't know about his theology..

I like a lot of your posts, but sometimes it seem you just argue for the sake of arguing..

As for that last remark about sounding nice til people are free... please explain.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 6:43:53 PM
At 3/2/2012 6:25:01 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I like a lot of your posts, but sometimes it seem you just argue for the sake of arguing..

As for that last remark about sounding nice til people are free... please explain.

A theology dependent on the King will hit the skids when the King has no theology. Lutheran theology has no Moral Theology or Sacrament. The Law of society is their moral code. See the problem in places like the US? Gay "marriage"? Abortion? etc That is a dependent theology.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 7:07:20 PM
At 3/2/2012 6:43:53 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/2/2012 6:25:01 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

A theology dependent on the King will hit the skids when the King has no theology. Lutheran theology has no Moral Theology or Sacrament. The Law of society is their moral code. See the problem in places like the US? Gay "marriage"? Abortion? etc That is a dependent theology.

You do know there were all kinds of people who wanted to kill Luther right?

He does have a moral theology - he just doesn't believe our salvation is dependant upon it. He says very clearly that with the good works we commit, must come the love of what we are doing.. we may be able to obey the physical commandments - but inside we loathe it.

it's called 'CHRIST' centered. The more we look at ourselves, the less we acknowledge what Christ has done. King or no king.. No lutheran or reformed Christian supports gay marriage or abortions.. but we also don't think you go to hell if you do either..

I can explain further, but i want to hear what you have to say first.