Jump to topic:

Is Prevenient Grace Biblical?

joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2012 10:19:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Matt Slick has a debate on the topic on the 14th. I was hoping maybe we could discuss it here.

I understand prevenient grace to be: that grace which God has bestowed equally upon all men so that when the gospel message is given the effects of original sin are negated allowing the person to freely choose or deny the message. I do not know if prevenient grace is effectual only during the gospel presentation or throughout the life of the person. Also known as the sick man theory.

On the other hand the reformers held the doctrine of regeneration. Regeneration is the grace the God bestows unto certain individuals that effectively negates the effects of Original sin so that the individual ultimately and inevitably will come to faith in Christ. Also known as the dead man theory.

When I listen to Catholic soteriology I often hear Arminianism or some form of Pelagianism. Would any Catholic mind posting how they view Prevenient Grace/Regeneration and their understanding of predestination? That would be nice :)

Now, just like predestination everyone believes in regeneration. The difference is how those terms are defined. Would someone mind posting the Arminian and Catholic positions on Regeneration as well?

Thanks!
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2012 6:27:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/2/2012 10:19:23 PM, joneszj wrote:
Matt Slick has a debate on the topic on the 14th. I was hoping maybe we could discuss it here.

I understand prevenient grace to be: that grace which God has bestowed equally upon all men so that when the gospel message is given the effects of original sin are negated allowing the person to freely choose or deny the message. I do not know if prevenient grace is effectual only during the gospel presentation or throughout the life of the person. Also known as the sick man theory.

On the other hand the reformers held the doctrine of regeneration. Regeneration is the grace the God bestows unto certain individuals that effectively negates the effects of Original sin so that the individual ultimately and inevitably will come to faith in Christ. Also known as the dead man theory.

When I listen to Catholic soteriology I often hear Arminianism or some form of Pelagianism. Would any Catholic mind posting how they view Prevenient Grace/Regeneration and their understanding of predestination? That would be nice :)

Now, just like predestination everyone believes in regeneration. The difference is how those terms are defined. Would someone mind posting the Arminian and Catholic positions on Regeneration as well?

Thanks!

First, subjectivism (see your post) can not be counteered because your preferred connotative understanding is impenitrable. First, you seem not to know what grace is. Second, you ignore etymology. Third, you havent stated your problem.

God gives to us because he is Love. That gift is Grace, from the Latin Gratia, meaning thanks. The gifts of God are of God and aas with the Word are with God from the beginning. (See John) Human act is not the determiner of the gift...ergo, acceptance is irrelevant as that conditions God. Some ignorance is immutable. (even that does not restrict God)