Total Posts:62|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

It's a harsh world for atheists

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 9:35:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
78.4% of American adults are Christian. 98.4% are non-atheist....1.6% are atheist. (http://religions.pewforum.org...)

How often do you here someone on tv say anything attacking religion or at least denying the existence of God? Its rare. All our presidents have been Christian. Then we have those obnoxious displays of religiosity in public, like Tim Teebow. If an atheist held up an anti-bible sign as often as Teebow "prayed" ...I think that man would be murdered by some religious sheep.

Then, the most aggravating part of this ordeal is that some Christians actually feel persecuted! Add to the fact that we make our children say "under god" and we write "in god we trust" on our currency. Something is terribly awry.

America is bitterly anti-atheist, and there is no real channel for an atheist to publicly speak his mind, lest he be the number 1 most unpopular figure in the nation.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 9:50:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Australia wins in that regard. All my friends are Atheists and everyone I work with is an Atheist. Religion is dying here... Nobody cares.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 9:57:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 9:50:01 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Australia wins in that regard. All my friends are Atheists and everyone I work with is an Atheist. Religion is dying here... Nobody cares.

Australia sounds awesome. My 5th grade teacher once said, "I don't care if you're muslim, jewish, or christian, as long as you have a religion. People who don't have a religion are just ignorant." and then in middle school a lesbian couple came in to speak to the 6th grade class about tolerance for different sexual orientations, and our band teacher, right after (a devout christian), told us not to listen to anything they said, and that it was wrong.

This country is wrought with religiosity and bigotry.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:05:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree. I also hate that people associate religion with "family values" and atheism as being anti "family values." Is it part of family values to teach your children to believe things out of blind faith?
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:10:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 9:57:05 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/4/2012 9:50:01 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Australia wins in that regard. All my friends are Atheists and everyone I work with is an Atheist. Religion is dying here... Nobody cares.

Australia sounds awesome. My 5th grade teacher once said, "I don't care if you're muslim, jewish, or christian, as long as you have a religion. People who don't have a religion are just ignorant." and then in middle school a lesbian couple came in to speak to the 6th grade class about tolerance for different sexual orientations, and our band teacher, right after (a devout christian), told us not to listen to anything they said, and that it was wrong.

This country is wrought with religiosity and bigotry.

well I believe they should be accepted.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
joneszj
Posts: 1,202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:22:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 9:35:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
78.4% of American adults are Christian. 98.4% are non-atheist....1.6% are atheist. (http://religions.pewforum.org...)

How often do you here someone on tv say anything attacking religion or at least denying the existence of God? Its rare. All our presidents have been Christian. Then we have those obnoxious displays of religiosity in public, like Tim Teebow. If an atheist held up an anti-bible sign as often as Teebow "prayed" ...I think that man would be murdered by some religious sheep.

I suppose I should be seeing Richard Dawkins, Daniel C. Dennett, and Sam Harris each murdered by a religious sheep? America may be religious on a statistical level but it is far from being religious on any other level. Or, perhaps its because I live in the city that I view America as being for the most part non-religious.

Then, the most aggravating part of this ordeal is that some Christians actually feel persecuted! Add to the fact that we make our children say "under god" and we write "in god we trust" on our currency. Something is terribly awry.

Yea, the latter seems very unconstitutional to me. As for the persecution part, to a degree. It really depends on how conservative ones theology and orthopraxy is. But to be brutally honest, it's usually the Christians fault. For example, alot of Christians want to have Creationism (or ID) taught along side evolution and cry persecution. But that does bring up a interesting point: if the nation is 78.4% Christian why aren't Christian values legalized? I understand the Lemon vs Kuyzman case (http://en.wikipedia.org...) but that outcome apparently would not reflect the majority of the peoples values ergo not a true democracy.

America is bitterly anti-atheist, and there is no real channel for an atheist to publicly speak his mind, lest he be the number 1 most unpopular figure in the nation.

There always has been. Books, internet, school, work, even church (lolz). Nothing prevents the Atheist from speaking but themselves.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:55:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Oh really? And the fact that children are sued for praying in school is not persecution? Or the fact that when I did go to public school the teacher called the Bible a pack of lies and then threw my $70 Bible in the trash and then sent me to the office when I got it out of the trash. Is that not anti-religious? I think the persecution is going both ways.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:57:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 10:55:48 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Oh really? And the fact that children are sued for praying in school is not persecution? Or the fact that when I did go to public school the teacher called the Bible a pack of lies and then threw my $70 Bible in the trash and then sent me to the office when I got it out of the trash. Is that not anti-religious? I think the persecution is going both ways.

lmao something tells me that's not how it happened....and who in nonGod's name would buy a $70 dollar bible? Would you pay $70 for a fairytale pop-up book?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 10:59:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 10:57:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:55:48 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Oh really? And the fact that children are sued for praying in school is not persecution? Or the fact that when I did go to public school the teacher called the Bible a pack of lies and then threw my $70 Bible in the trash and then sent me to the office when I got it out of the trash. Is that not anti-religious? I think the persecution is going both ways.

lmao something tells me that's not how it happened....and who in nonGod's name would buy a $70 dollar bible? Would you pay $70 for a fairytale pop-up book?
It was...it's the chief reason why now I go to a Christian school..and the Bible was gift from my grandmother..
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:03:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think everyone should quit complaining about how persecuted they feel. That is part of the problem with society. Everyone tries to cast themselves as the victim.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:06:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 9:35:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
78.4% of American adults are Christian. 98.4% are non-atheist....1.6% are atheist. (http://religions.pewforum.org...)

How often do you here someone on tv say anything attacking religion or at least denying the existence of God?

HAHAHAH!! Are you kidding me? let me list a few:

Family Guy
South Park
Real time with Bill Maher
Comedy Central (almost entirely)
Easy A
Paul
Big Bang Theory(sitcom)
Oprah(the lisa ling documentaries)
I now pronounce you chuck and larry

I can go on and on.. but these few should suffice since they are the most recent. Yea it's rare.

Its rare. All our presidents have been Christian.

No, but most have claimed to be. Like the statistic you cited above - they are politicians and will portray whatever image the populous demands.

Then we have those obnoxious displays of religiosity in public, like Tim Teebow. If an atheist held up an anti-bible sign as often as Teebow "prayed" ...I think that man would be murdered by some religious sheep.

Haha, you are upset because a guy prays? this is not a very good position to take if you want people to acknowledge your argument. Trust me, I run into way more atheists in a day then Christians; All of my co-workers are atheist, and though i like em all a lot, they rag on my beliefs, unprovoked, all day... just spontaneous "hey Joe, did God make my coffee good today or what?" or "Joe pray that i get laid tonight"

Then, the most aggravating part of this ordeal is that some Christians actually feel persecuted! Add to the fact that we make our children say "under god" and we write "in god we trust" on our currency. Something is terribly awry.

To some degree i feel it's coming. Now do i? not really, but i definitely gotta watch when i talk about God in public or i might offend someone..

America is bitterly anti-atheist, and there is no real channel for an atheist to publicly speak his mind, lest he be the number 1 most unpopular figure in the nation.

You're on crack.. I never see anything but secularism on TV.. any mention of God is immediately cut short. No real channel? do you watch TV???

I'd like some examples of the religious agenda being so harshly pushed on to you.. other then our old a$$ pledges and constitutions. something current please.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:07:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 10:59:17 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:57:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:55:48 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Oh really? And the fact that children are sued for praying in school is not persecution? Or the fact that when I did go to public school the teacher called the Bible a pack of lies and then threw my $70 Bible in the trash and then sent me to the office when I got it out of the trash. Is that not anti-religious? I think the persecution is going both ways.

lmao something tells me that's not how it happened....and who in nonGod's name would buy a $70 dollar bible? Would you pay $70 for a fairytale pop-up book?
It was...it's the chief reason why now I go to a Christian school..and the Bible was gift from my grandmother..

. :(
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:08:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:07:11 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:59:17 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:57:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:55:48 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Oh really? And the fact that children are sued for praying in school is not persecution? Or the fact that when I did go to public school the teacher called the Bible a pack of lies and then threw my $70 Bible in the trash and then sent me to the office when I got it out of the trash. Is that not anti-religious? I think the persecution is going both ways.

lmao something tells me that's not how it happened....and who in nonGod's name would buy a $70 dollar bible? Would you pay $70 for a fairytale pop-up book?
It was...it's the chief reason why now I go to a Christian school..and the Bible was gift from my grandmother..

. :(

why the frown
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:11:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 10:57:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:55:48 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Oh really? And the fact that children are sued for praying in school is not persecution? Or the fact that when I did go to public school the teacher called the Bible a pack of lies and then threw my $70 Bible in the trash and then sent me to the office when I got it out of the trash. Is that not anti-religious? I think the persecution is going both ways.

lmao something tells me that's not how it happened....and who in nonGod's name would buy a $70 dollar bible? Would you pay $70 for a fairytale pop-up book?

Check this a$$hole out.. You talk about us not being targeted, and right after that brush the intolerance of one of us aside, with a joke like that?

Man i wish someone would have the balls to talk like to me in person..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:13:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:11:43 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:57:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:55:48 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 3/4/2012 10:35:56 PM, nonentity wrote:
It's so infuriating that Christians act like they are the ones being persecuted, or like atheists are the ones attacking them. At work, I am forever bombarded by religious nuts who seem to think my religious affiliation is their business. I found out 2 days ago I can't even purchase car insurance without being bombarded by a religious nut. After a crap load of questions and her judgmental attitude I finally had to be like "is this an appropriate conversation to be having right now?" I wanted to call to complain but I work for the same company >.<
Oh really? And the fact that children are sued for praying in school is not persecution? Or the fact that when I did go to public school the teacher called the Bible a pack of lies and then threw my $70 Bible in the trash and then sent me to the office when I got it out of the trash. Is that not anti-religious? I think the persecution is going both ways.

lmao something tells me that's not how it happened....and who in nonGod's name would buy a $70 dollar bible? Would you pay $70 for a fairytale pop-up book?

Check this a$$hole out.. You talk about us not being targeted, and right after that brush the intolerance of one of us aside, with a joke like that?

Man i wish someone would have the balls to talk like to me in person..

I thought it was hypocritical too.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:17:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
i have to ask. are you guys joking? i mean seriously you cant live in the united states. maybe in the hardcore deep south, but i doubt that since you have access to computers.

about tv, which channels do you watch? i watch tosh and south park on comedy central, fam guy and simpsons on fox and they are pretty merciless when it comes to making fun of religion. and these are just shows i watch im sure there are plenty of others.

you claim you get irritated when you hear about christians claiming to be persecuted, then you come on here and bitch about being persecuted. neither christians or athiests are persecuted in this country. any christian or athiest who claims that is a pvssy.

you say your teacher said the gays were lying, well i had a teacher that forced students to put a dollar in the offering basket at the front of the class if they said god bless you to someone who sneezed, then snickered at them for being religious. so now theres at least two pointless anecdotes for people to point at and say well that confirms what i thought.

ive been christian, agnostic, and athiest. the most out of place if felt was when i was christian. your 72% stat is a bvllshit also, cause if you look at it only 10% of that 72% said they had strong belief in their faith, which imo means that this country has a max 10% christian population.

lol just right now on tv i see a taco bell commercial played a song int he background saying god is good but i am great.

i dont know exactly why im reacting so strongly to your stupidity, im usually a pretty apathetic person who isnt offended by morons. i think it might be people who have a need to make themselves out to be victims. they need to feel like their being persecuted. your like the white girl in an interracial couple who points out everyone who has a dirtly look on their face as says ugh look at this discrimination we have to put up with, when they mostly likely have a dirty look cause of crap going on in their own lives.

its not a harsh world for athiests, at least not in the first world. get over yourselves
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:26:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
lol you beat me to it paradox, ive met athiests like this in real life, they are attention seeking drama queens and no one religious or otherwise takes them too seriously thank god ;)
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:35:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:26:06 PM, kogline wrote:
lol you beat me to it paradox, ive met athiests like this in real life, they are attention seeking drama queens and no one religious or otherwise takes them too seriously thank god ;)

Theists do it too
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:39:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:26:06 PM, kogline wrote:
lol you beat me to it paradox, ive met athiests like this in real life, they are attention seeking drama queens and no one religious or otherwise takes them too seriously thank god ;)

Lol, tell me about it. I almost choked on my beer when i read this..

I wanna point out he 10% stat that you cited though.. very true. It's pretty evident though, that more people are turning from the church due to this reason. Check out crossexamined.org I don't agree with their theology too much, but they pretty much got it down with why things like this are happening.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:45:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:35:51 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 3/4/2012 11:26:06 PM, kogline wrote:
lol you beat me to it paradox, ive met athiests like this in real life, they are attention seeking drama queens and no one religious or otherwise takes them too seriously thank god ;)

Theists do it too

They do, but honestly.. do you think they have no reason?

There is more examples of intolerance from atheists than the 10%. I was defending my belief the other day when getting bombarded by some atheists and another person (whom i thought was a theist) was actually mocking me! it was crazy! The higher percentage of people claiming to believe buckle when questioned, and deny their beliefs.

we aren't being persecuted - the Christians in ancient rome were.

you the ones who were tied to poles in the arena; the father was given a sword and they released lions on them? just to see how long they could last.

Or when they dressed the children of Christians in sheep fur and released hunting dogs on them.

that is persecution... jokes are not.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:56:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:26:06 PM, kogline wrote:
lol you beat me to it paradox, ive met athiests like this in real life, they are attention seeking drama queens and no one religious or otherwise takes them too seriously thank god ;)

You point out the sawdust, but you're oblivious to the plank my friend.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2012 11:59:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/4/2012 11:45:16 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
I was defending my belief the other day when getting bombarded by some atheists and another person (whom i thought was a theist) was actually mocking me! it was crazy! The higher percentage of people claiming to believe buckle when questioned, and deny their beliefs.


lol yea i see this happens too. im talking about the christian on christian not the first part.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:20:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Actually, I think it can be really difficult to be a public, open atheist in many places and I'm unsure as why some seem offended at the very thought that it happens. I've read many, many stories wherein which someone who openly declare their atheism - and no, I don't mean in a "Dawkins, aggressive, religious ppl are stoopit!" type way - who have been very severly socially ostracized (even beaten up) for doing so.

Of course, that really isn't the whole story. It mostly depends on the setting. A lot of areas academia that are secular tend to be relentlessley not only atheistic but anti-theistic. I know from personal experience having been like one of the only (openly) religious person when I was doing philosophy in college. There was so much ridiculously unwarranted arrogance and scorn in that department. One my philosophy teachers was very open how about his dislike for religion and "religionists". I always gave as good as I got, so it never so much offended me as amused me that they had such overblown confidence in their terrible arguments, but I disgress. My sister tells me the same thing happens (she's getting her doctorate in psychology right now) in that part of academia as well. These stories can be multiplied althroughout how the academic world.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:24:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:20:01 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Actually, I think it can be really difficult to be a public, open atheist in many places and I'm unsure as why some seem offended at the very thought that it happens. I've read many, many stories wherein which someone who openly declare their atheism - and no, I don't mean in a "Dawkins, aggressive, religious ppl are stoopit!" type way - who have been very severly socially ostracized (even beaten up) for doing so.

Of course, that really isn't the whole story. It mostly depends on the setting. A lot of areas academia that are secular tend to be relentlessley not only atheistic but anti-theistic. I know from personal experience having been like one of the only (openly) religious person when I was doing philosophy in college. There was so much ridiculously unwarranted arrogance and scorn in that department. One my philosophy teachers was very open how about his dislike for religion and "religionists". I always gave as good as I got, so it never so much offended me as amused me that they had such overblown confidence in their terrible arguments, but I disgress. My sister tells me the same thing happens (she's getting her doctorate in psychology right now) in that part of academia as well. These stories can be multiplied althroughout how the academic world.

You're not a regular theist pooka. You're like... supertheist or something. I still like the "Can God create a rock too heavy for himself to lift?" argument, herpaderp.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:35:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok, I love the fact that each side wants to make themselves the most victim. I am sure you can find murder and torture examples on both sides.

But I guess the question is, who is being "persecuted" in today modern society. And no, some one dis agree with you and arguing with you is not persecution.

I do get the impression, at least in some area's, there is a more greater risk of being a vocal atheist as say a vocal christian. Then again, maybe in some area's a vocal muslim might be most of risk at all.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:43:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/5/2012 12:35:42 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Ok, I love the fact that each side wants to make themselves the most victim. I am sure you can find murder and torture examples on both sides.

But I guess the question is, who is being "persecuted" in today modern society. And no, some one dis agree with you and arguing with you is not persecution.

I do get the impression, at least in some area's, there is a more greater risk of being a vocal atheist as say a vocal christian. Then again, maybe in some area's a vocal muslim might be most of risk at all.

Read my earlier post
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 12:59:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It honestly depends on the location and group. However I have seen no evidence that suggests that atheists as a whole are discriminated against. Statistics prove my point.

According to the FBI, atheists and agnostic bias was the cause of 0.5% of hate crimes in 2010. Catholicism accounted for 4.2% and Protestantism accounted for 3%.

The vast majority of people who suffer from hate crimes in the U.S. are Jewish (over 50%!!!), with crimes against Muslim people in a distant second.

Now this does not include crimes that weren't reported, but it gives up a pretty good assessment of hate crime statistics. I could not find anything as it relates to discrimination, however I imagine the statistics would not be that much different. I think it adequately refutes how harsh ike perceives the country to be for atheists.

I just hate how everyone tries to victimize themselves...

http://www.fbi.gov...
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 7:09:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Among all the outspoken American atheists and Christians who appear(ed) on television, I have no doubt that atheists were the far most rude ones. Christians often speaks of how wrong others are and things like that. Atheists spit nonsense about how theists have mental defects. Bill Maher is a good example of such a person.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2012 8:59:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Atheists being persecuted? Since when?

Can you give some examples? Like, several? And none of them can contain some random nut.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-