Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Priest Exposes Religion: Speaks Bare Truth

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 2:04:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
High priest exposes religion but speaks the truth in this revealing interview. I feel that what he's saying should resonate with believers and nonbelievers alike.

He's not some heathen priest, or an ex-Christian, or someone who just does it for money, nor is he a luke-warm Christian that takes things metaphorically, he understands the profound truth.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 2:35:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 2:04:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
High priest exposes religion but speaks the truth in this revealing interview. I feel that what he's saying should resonate with believers and nonbelievers alike.

He's not some heathen priest, or an ex-Christian, or someone who just does it for money, nor is he a luke-warm Christian that takes things metaphorically, he understands the profound truth.



I doubt it. He is not saying anything new. And Catholic priests if anyone should not be talking about religion. Waste of time.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:08:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 2:04:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
High priest exposes religion but speaks the truth in this revealing interview. I feel that what he's saying should resonate with believers and nonbelievers alike.

He's not some heathen priest, or an ex-Christian, or someone who just does it for money, nor is he a luke-warm Christian that takes things metaphorically, he understands the profound truth.:

He sounds like an inquisitive man, but I'm not sure he's unequivocally stating that all religion is bullsh*t, rather that it would be beneficial if every individual attempted to go beyond mere traditions. But it is refreshing to hear a priest speak of these things.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:21:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I didn't watch the video, but if it's the one I think it is I've already seen it. is it the one where he's talking about the church using hell as a tool to control the masses? If so, hat is j.d. crossan he takes a lot of stuff metaphorically, so I guess by geo's standards he's a lukewarm believer...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:29:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't disagree with anything that he said. Once you figure what is man made dogma and what is a true spiritual concept you begin to see things differently, and understand how much in organized religion is about coercion, and so much a part of man's own character not God's.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:32:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 3:21:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I didn't watch the video, but if it's the one I think it is I've already seen it. is it the one where he's talking about the church using hell as a tool to control the masses? If so, hat is j.d. crossan he takes a lot of stuff metaphorically, so I guess by geo's standards he's a lukewarm believer...:

You see where this is going though, I hope... Geo is suggesting that religion is a tool for groups like the Templars, Freemasons, Illuminati, etc, that nefariously control all aspects of Christianity to enslave people.

It's not merely that religion has a tendency to control by its very nature, but that it was designed that way... at least in his mind.

I don't think that is at all what this man was suggesting.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:32:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 3:21:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I didn't watch the video, but if it's the one I think it is I've already seen it. is it the one where he's talking about the church using hell as a tool to control the masses?

There's two videos that include that. The popular one is about 50 seconds, this is the extended one that includes much more than Hell as a tool for control.

If so, hat is j.d. crossan he takes a lot of stuff metaphorically, so I guess by geo's standards he's a lukewarm believer...

Watch the video and you'll see what I mean. For example, what he said about Salvation. He doesn't soften doctrine or turn it metaphorical, he sees through the deeper meaning of the text.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:36:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 3:32:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

You see where this is going though, I hope... Geo is suggesting that religion is a tool for groups like the Templars, Freemasons, Illuminati, etc, that nefariously control all aspects of Christianity to enslave people.

It's not merely that religion has a tendency to control by its very nature, but that it was designed that way... at least in his mind.

I don't think that is at all what this man was suggesting.

Actually, conspiracy was not on my mind when making this thread. I am looking at this strictly from a religio-philosophical perspective with a hint of hermaneutics.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:42:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Actually, conspiracy was not on my mind when making this thread. I am looking at this strictly from a religio-philosophical perspective with a hint of hermaneutics.:

Then I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

The role of Hell in Judeo-Christian doctrine has evolved over time. Looking through the Tanakh, there is no mention of hell. The role of Satan also changed over time. Satan went from being a helper for YHWH (the role of devil's advocate) to the evil, pernicious beast that we see in later manuscripts.

Jesus was actually the first one to really perpetuate it, and Paul took it to another level. The Catholic Church took it even further.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 3:46:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Geo, read his bio on wiki. You'll know exactly what i mean when i say that he takes a lot of christianity very metaphorically.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 4:01:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 3:46:13 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Geo, read his bio on wiki. You'll know exactly what i mean when i say that he takes a lot of christianity very metaphorically.

Thats a completely different guy. I saw J.D. Crossan's picture in the Wiki article and its not the same guy in the video.

The priest in the video blatantly contradicts common understanding of certain Christian doctrines rather than morph them into metaphors.

"You are Christians; find out what is true and false in Christianity - and you will then find out what is true."
-- J. Krishnamurti

I believe thats what the priest has done.

.
.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 4:07:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 4:01:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/6/2012 3:46:13 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Geo, read his bio on wiki. You'll know exactly what i mean when i say that he takes a lot of christianity very metaphorically.

Thats a completely different guy. I saw J.D. Crossan's picture in the Wiki article and its not the same guy in the video.

The priest in the video blatantly contradicts common understanding of certain Christian doctrines rather than morph them into metaphors.

"You are Christians; find out what is true and false in Christianity - and you will then find out what is true."
-- J. Krishnamurti

I believe thats what the priest has done.

I'll check it when I get home. I may have gotten my people mixed up.




.
.
.
.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 6:32:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My bad. I got the people mixed up. It's actually John Shelby Spong. He's (mostly_ pretty far out too and metaphorizes a lot of things as well. He's one of the most Christian atheists I know of. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2012 6:32:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 6:32:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
My bad. I got the people mixed up. It's actually John Shelby Spong. He's (mostly) pretty far out too and metaphorizes a lot of things as well. He's one of the most Christian atheists I know of. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Fixed.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 3:39:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: Agreeing is irrelavenent to the matter of fact. Nore is his wiki Bio which made of other random people relavent. These are some really sad sad, exuses.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 3:49:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I liked what he had to say, but I just don't believe in an afterlife. The only way to continue to exist when you die is in the memories you leave behind.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 3:05:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 3:49:38 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I liked what he had to say, but I just don't believe in an afterlife. The only way to continue to exist when you die is in the memories you leave behind.

That's a pretty narrow view on the matter. Have you researched and concluded that all forms of an afterlife are not true?

What about stream of consciousness theories, multidimensional parallel existence, monopsychism, quantum theory afterlife, dream world hypothesis, etc.?

I don't believe in the Christian afterlife, but theres many other more plausible theories that exist.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2012 3:38:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 3:05:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 3:49:38 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I liked what he had to say, but I just don't believe in an afterlife. The only way to continue to exist when you die is in the memories you leave behind.

That's a pretty narrow view on the matter. Have you researched and concluded that all forms of an afterlife are not true?

What about stream of consciousness theories, multidimensional parallel existence, monopsychism, quantum theory afterlife, dream world hypothesis, etc.?

I don't believe in the Christian afterlife, but theres many other more plausible theories that exist.

Because the default position of zero knowlede is zero. This claim are motivated as are I think religions because to the fact that we don't really want to die. But not of them are sound. and quantume theory anything could never give a final answer about anything only hints.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Suqua
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2012 9:53:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/6/2012 2:04:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
High priest exposes religion but speaks the truth in this revealing interview. I feel that what he's saying should resonate with believers and nonbelievers alike.

He's not some heathen priest, or an ex-Christian, or someone who just does it for money, nor is he a luke-warm Christian that takes things metaphorically, he understands the profound truth.



Very true about his religious affiliation with the Catholic Church, that's what he's talking on, not Christianity, not that profound if you know about that Church's history.
You should read Fox's book of martyrs.