Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Reason Rally

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:11:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I wasn't sure whether or not to put this here or in Personal...

Is anyone going to the Reason Rally? It's an event sponsored by many of the country's largest and most influential secular organizations. It will be free to attend and will take place in Washington D.C. on March 24th, 2012 from 10:00AM – 6:00PM at the National Mall. There will be music, comedy, speakers and more. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I'm going and was just wondering if anyone else was considering it or heard anything about it.

http://www.reasonrally.org...
President of DDO
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:37:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 8:11:08 AM, Danielle wrote:
I wasn't sure whether or not to put this here or in Personal...

Is anyone going to the Reason Rally? It's an event sponsored by many of the country's largest and most influential secular organizations. It will be free to attend and will take place in Washington D.C. on March 24th, 2012 from 10:00AM – 6:00PM at the National Mall. There will be music, comedy, speakers and more. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I'm going and was just wondering if anyone else was considering it or heard anything about it.

http://www.reasonrally.org...

Thanks for reminding me. Yes, I was planning on going. It seems like it'll be an interesting event. If not, I'll go look at some dinosaur bones.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:42:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I might just go there, JUST for Adam Savage.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:51:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 8:11:08 AM, Danielle wrote:
I wasn't sure whether or not to put this here or in Personal...

Is anyone going to the Reason Rally? It's an event sponsored by many of the country's largest and most influential secular organizations. It will be free to attend and will take place in Washington D.C. on March 24th, 2012 from 10:00AM – 6:00PM at the National Mall. There will be music, comedy, speakers and more. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I'm going and was just wondering if anyone else was considering it or heard anything about it.

http://www.reasonrally.org...

Who are the sponsors?
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 3:50:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why couldn't this be in Florida? Nothing fun ever happens down here.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 3:53:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 3:50:15 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Why couldn't this be in Florida? Nothing fun ever happens down here.

*caugh* Disneyworld, Universal Studeos ect.

Now Indiana, we have it boring. But, I like it that way.

Corn > Everything else
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 3:56:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Meh... seems kind of like an unnecessary jerk-off session to me. I don't really need Dawkins or Harris to reinforce how retarded I think organized religion is. The nutjob theists do that for me already!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 3:59:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
someone said animals..
Washington DC.. Home of the Washington Zoo!

mmm.. My girlfriend's been bugging me to take her to the washington zoo.
And it seems the rally's on a saturday.. maybe go to the zoo sunday :)

But, :/ I'm sure it'd be packed

and it'd require me taking off work on the weekend :/
So.. Sounds like it'd be good but I dunno.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 4:06:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 3:56:18 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Meh... seems kind of like an unnecessary jerk-off session to me. I don't really need Dawkins or Harris to reinforce how retarded I think organized religion is. The nutjob theists do that for me already!

yeah, but I almost feel as though I should go..

People are ridiculous.. so it probably won't be all that I could hope for... But I know I want politics to become more secular.. and based upon reasonable, non-religious, sentiments/arguments...

It's kind of a Put up or Shut up kinda thing... I know I'd care for it to be that way.. but I don't actually do too much to make it that way. Doing things to make it that way would be good.

Now sure, my going might not really do much :/

But, well.. I'm a pretty reasonable person :) and I might make it just a tad bit less ridiculous 8)

plus it'd be fun probably
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 4:11:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 3:56:18 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Meh... seems kind of like an unnecessary jerk-off session to me. I don't really need Dawkins or Harris to reinforce how retarded I think organized religion is. The nutjob theists do that for me already!
But we need Dawkins and Harris to do it for the world at large. Sure, you might already see through religious nonsense, but most don't. These guys are challenging people, sparking debate, and generating thought.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 4:22:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 4:11:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/12/2012 3:56:18 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Meh... seems kind of like an unnecessary jerk-off session to me. I don't really need Dawkins or Harris to reinforce how retarded I think organized religion is. The nutjob theists do that for me already!
But we need Dawkins and Harris to do it for the world at large. Sure, you might already see through religious nonsense, but most don't. These guys are challenging people, sparking debate, and generating thought.:

I don't agree with Harris or Dawkins approach to the debate. I find it counterproductive and needlesly inflammatory. Plus there's no way in hell I'm gonna fly to D.C. to go to something like that. But if I had the day off and lived in the D.C. area, I'd probably go.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 4:55:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 4:22:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I don't agree with Harris or Dawkins approach to the debate. I find it counterproductive and needlesly inflammatory. Plus there's no way in hell I'm gonna fly to D.C. to go to something like that. But if I had the day off and lived in the D.C. area, I'd probably go.

I dont see how theyre inflammatory and counter productive. Dawkins has a British accent, it's not his fault he sounds arrogant. He's rather kind. He doesnt straight up say religious people are stupid. And Harris is even more mild. He has a rather calm demeaner and gets his point across nicely without insulting people.

Also, how can it be counter productive? Look how they ignited the Atheist movement, made it grow, inform people, sell books, bring the debate to an international audience, deconvert thousands. It seems theyve done quite well.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 6:33:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 4:55:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/12/2012 4:22:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I don't agree with Harris or Dawkins approach to the debate. I find it counterproductive and needlesly inflammatory. Plus there's no way in hell I'm gonna fly to D.C. to go to something like that. But if I had the day off and lived in the D.C. area, I'd probably go.

I dont see how theyre inflammatory and counter productive. Dawkins has a British accent, it's not his fault he sounds arrogant. He's rather kind. He doesnt straight up say religious people are stupid. And Harris is even more mild. He has a rather calm demeaner and gets his point across nicely without insulting people.

Also, how can it be counter productive? Look how they ignited the Atheist movement, made it grow, inform people, sell books, bring the debate to an international audience, deconvert thousands. It seems theyve done quite well.

+1

I'd go but I won't be able to afford it (I live in Arizona). I hope it gets a good turn out though.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 7:29:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Danielle, I'll go if you come pick me up ;)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 7:40:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I will be there.

http://rally.truereason.org...

I love this. True Reason will be handing out Reason REALLY pamphlets to the rally attendees. Great pun and a sharp hit to the atheist claim of actual use of reason, which the speakers are devoid of using.

I would love if they invite communist speakers to bring their 'non belief' full circle.
Phoenix.Wright
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 7:22:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Secularists should stop trying to make atheism synonymous with reason and logic. There are logical theists and illogical theists and there are illogical and logical atheists too.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 7:35:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/14/2012 7:22:26 PM, Phoenix.Wright wrote:
Secularists should stop trying to make atheism synonymous with reason and logic. There are logical theists and illogical theists and there are illogical and logical atheists too.

Theists should stop trying to make religion synonymous with charities. There are charitable theists and uncharitable theists. So... no more religious charities now, ya hear?
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 8:51:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/14/2012 7:35:49 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 3/14/2012 7:22:26 PM, Phoenix.Wright wrote:
Secularists should stop trying to make atheism synonymous with reason and logic. There are logical theists and illogical theists and there are illogical and logical atheists too.

Theists should stop trying to make religion synonymous with charities. There are charitable theists and uncharitable theists. So... no more religious charities now, ya hear?

Your last sentence was non sequitor and did not address what he said. What were you meaning to reply to him with?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2012 9:17:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/14/2012 8:51:27 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 3/14/2012 7:35:49 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 3/14/2012 7:22:26 PM, Phoenix.Wright wrote:
Secularists should stop trying to make atheism synonymous with reason and logic. There are logical theists and illogical theists and there are illogical and logical atheists too.

Theists should stop trying to make religion synonymous with charities. There are charitable theists and uncharitable theists. So... no more religious charities now, ya hear?

Your last sentence was non sequitor and did not address what he said. What were you meaning to reply to him with?

Sure it did. And yes I did. I don't see anything different between one organization trying to associate itself with reason and another that associates itself with charity.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 6:50:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 3:56:18 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Meh... seems kind of like an unnecessary jerk-off session to me. I don't really need Dawkins or Harris to reinforce how retarded I think organized religion is. The nutjob theists do that for me already!

The Fool: why, how come you don;t like him. ?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL