Jump to topic:

Creation and the image of God via Man

ruff82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:09:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There are many beliefs on how we came to be. Oftentimes, religion and science are seen to be at odds with one another. In all too many cases, it is because individuals attempt to take an absolutist approach. I, however, challenge that. Why can the Big Bang Theory, Creation, and Evolution not co-exist?

According to the Bible, man was made in God's image. That said, what was meant by God's image? Does it mean God's asthetic image? God's spritual image?

If you use the spiritual image, then it very much may coincide with evolution. Just as the sculptor does not take a block of marble and suddenly a sculpture appears, it is likely that God did not take a thought and suddenly make man appear. Why could God's image not truly represent the soul? If this was the case, and God is viewed as the artist, evolution would be the process by which God created His art.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 11:58:33 PM
At 3/12/2012 8:09:43 PM, ruff82 wrote:
There are many beliefs on how we came to be. Oftentimes, religion and science are seen to be at odds with one another. In all too many cases, it is because individuals attempt to take an absolutist approach. I, however, challenge that. Why can the Big Bang Theory, Creation, and Evolution not co-exist?

According to the Bible, man was made in God's image. That said, what was meant by God's image? Does it mean God's asthetic image? God's spritual image?

If you use the spiritual image, then it very much may coincide with evolution. Just as the sculptor does not take a block of marble and suddenly a sculpture appears, it is likely that God did not take a thought and suddenly make man appear. Why could God's image not truly represent the soul? If this was the case, and God is viewed as the artist, evolution would be the process by which God created His art.

I agree with you! I am also a theistic evolutionist.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Riza_Rosette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 2:54:52 AM
Yes, when you interpret passages to mean what you want them to mean, you can bend reality to be anything you want it to be in your imagination.

That said, while a deity could have created evolution and the Big Bang, there is no reason to believe this is so, nor to even believe that a deity exists. Also, according to the Bible's genealogies, the Earth is only about 10,000 years old, which is patently false.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 3:51:41 PM
At 3/13/2012 2:54:52 AM, Riza_Rosette wrote:
Yes, when you interpret passages to mean what you want them to mean, you can bend reality to be anything you want it to be in your imagination.

That said, while a deity could have created evolution and the Big Bang, there is no reason to believe this is so, nor to even believe that a deity exists. Also, according to the Bible's genealogies, the Earth is only about 10,000 years old, which is patently false.

I really want to know, where did you get that number from?
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.