Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Are Sermon Jams effective for Evangelism?

GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sermon Jam- An edited sermon, designed to broadcast major highlights of the preaching, accompanied by music.

The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 3:39:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
These seem more targeted to Christians or backsliden cultural Christians, specifically and definitively Carter Conlan (i think that is how it is spelled).

That man is a powerful preacher and I love listening to him. Very inspiring man.

I believe this does work to evangelize the cultural christian but not the emotional or intellectual atheist/agnostic.

Just some thoughts.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 5:23:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:


The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.

The nonsense preached aside....looks like new age revival to me.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 6:17:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ehh.. nothing wrong with it i suppose. I didn't listen to them all.. but i generally like to seperate my entertainment from the time i dedicate to hearing the word.

when i'm in church, i want to here the word preached and taught.. i really don't need to hear all worship with no discernable message.

Most of the contemporary worship music i hear isn't even remotely biblical or beneficial to anyone.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 6:48:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 6:17:37 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Ehh.. nothing wrong with it i suppose. I didn't listen to them all.. but i generally like to seperate my entertainment from the time i dedicate to hearing the word.

when i'm in church, i want to here the word preached and taught.. i really don't need to hear all worship with no discernable message.

Most of the contemporary worship music i hear isn't even remotely biblical or beneficial to anyone.

I see your point, however, this isn't worship music. It's a mini-sermon with added atmosphere. There is genuine preaching going on, at the cost of detail.
I understand your point though.
How about a Sermon jam with a deeper, more fundamental message?
(See Video by Pastor Matt Chandler)
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 6:51:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 5:23:30 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:


The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.


The nonsense preached aside....looks like new age revival to me.

Fair enough. Can you point out some of the nonsense? You're a Catholic, so outside of doctrinal differences, what else did you dislike about the message details?
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 7:01:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Absolutely sermon jams are effective... this one is responsible for my conversion...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2012 7:06:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 7:01:24 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Absolutely sermon jams are effective... this one is responsible for my conversion...




Lol, this explains your dizzy disposition.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 8:28:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/15/2012 5:23:30 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:


The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.


The nonsense preached aside....looks like new age revival to me.

"No one has ever been able to bear the preaching of the Gospel" The very first statement is pure nonsense. The dichotomy preached is an us them bunch of nonsense which misses the entire point of the Gospel. The point is, Jesus is the Christ who dignified all of creation by and through the incarnation. Thus, the basic premise above is anti-gospel.
GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 1:42:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 8:28:16 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 5:23:30 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:


The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.


The nonsense preached aside....looks like new age revival to me.


"No one has ever been able to bear the preaching of the Gospel" The very first statement is pure nonsense. The dichotomy preached is an us them bunch of nonsense which misses the entire point of the Gospel. The point is, Jesus is the Christ who dignified all of creation by and through the incarnation. Thus, the basic premise above is anti-gospel.

1Corinthians 1:22For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

If you aren't converted, you will regard it as a stumbling block. I have never seen anyone be genuinely unaffected by the Gospel. They either rage against it or accept it. Let's face it, the Gospel presumes to tell you that you are sinful and need God. That's pretty offensive, but it happens to be true. Not everyone understands the latter part.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:21:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 1:42:00 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
At 3/16/2012 8:28:16 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 5:23:30 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:


The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.


The nonsense preached aside....looks like new age revival to me.


"No one has ever been able to bear the preaching of the Gospel" The very first statement is pure nonsense. The dichotomy preached is an us them bunch of nonsense which misses the entire point of the Gospel. The point is, Jesus is the Christ who dignified all of creation by and through the incarnation. Thus, the basic premise above is anti-gospel.

1Corinthians 1:22For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

If you aren't converted, you will regard it as a stumbling block. I have never seen anyone be genuinely unaffected by the Gospel. They either rage against it or accept it. Let's face it, the Gospel presumes to tell you that you are sinful and need God. That's pretty offensive, but it happens to be true. Not everyone understands the latter part.

WOW...so when the words in the bible aint good enough just change um. gtw, Corinthians is not a gospel and was written to a port full of sailors ane the attending businesses. So you agree,,,,No One actually is nonsense. Thanks

The Gospel does not tell you you are sinful....The Gospel is the Jesus is the Christ. The Gospels, tell this story, and it is clear Jesus cares little about the sins you think others commit, in fact the thief did not even repent he just acknowledged that Jesus did no crime. I seem to recall something about a speck in otheers eye and a beam in your own, maybe that was the synics.
GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 3:15:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 2:21:35 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/16/2012 1:42:00 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
At 3/16/2012 8:28:16 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 5:23:30 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:


The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.


The nonsense preached aside....looks like new age revival to me.


"No one has ever been able to bear the preaching of the Gospel" The very first statement is pure nonsense. The dichotomy preached is an us them bunch of nonsense which misses the entire point of the Gospel. The point is, Jesus is the Christ who dignified all of creation by and through the incarnation. Thus, the basic premise above is anti-gospel.

1Corinthians 1:22For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

If you aren't converted, you will regard it as a stumbling block. I have never seen anyone be genuinely unaffected by the Gospel. They either rage against it or accept it. Let's face it, the Gospel presumes to tell you that you are sinful and need God. That's pretty offensive, but it happens to be true. Not everyone understands the latter part.

WOW...so when the words in the bible aint good enough just change um. gtw, Corinthians is not a gospel and was written to a port full of sailors ane the attending businesses. So you agree,,,,No One actually is nonsense. Thanks
What?......English please.

The Gospel does not tell you you are sinful....The Gospel is the Jesus is the Christ. The Gospels, tell this story, and it is clear Jesus cares little about the sins you think others commit, in fact the thief did not even repent he just acknowledged that Jesus did no crime. I seem to recall something about a speck in otheers eye and a beam in your own, maybe that was the synics.

Can you please give me a detailed rundown of the Gospel? What is the Gospel as you understand it? Now remember, don't mention sin.

I'm not judging others. I already told you, I have no judgement for the state of any man or woman. We are discussing the Bible's view on Homosexuality, not my judgement. If I said:"Homosexuals are dirty and deserve no mercy." Then I would be judging. What I said was: I don't judge their state.
My entire argument is how does the Bible regard this specific sin.
The whole reason I made this forum, is because I'm quite sick and tired of Pseudo-Christians running around with signs, declaring judgement on the gay person.
It's one thing to oppose the act of homosexual relationships, it's another to hate the homosexual. I get it....you don't see the difference.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
GenesisCreation
Posts: 496
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 3:16:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/16/2012 3:15:51 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
At 3/16/2012 2:21:35 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/16/2012 1:42:00 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:
At 3/16/2012 8:28:16 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 5:23:30 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 3/15/2012 3:18:37 PM, GenesisCreation wrote:


The quality and quantity of Sermon jams is increasing in quality and quantity. Are they an effective tool for Evangelism, or do they miss the mark by reducing the impact of the Sermon?

Here are some examples.


The nonsense preached aside....looks like new age revival to me.


"No one has ever been able to bear the preaching of the Gospel" The very first statement is pure nonsense. The dichotomy preached is an us them bunch of nonsense which misses the entire point of the Gospel. The point is, Jesus is the Christ who dignified all of creation by and through the incarnation. Thus, the basic premise above is anti-gospel.

1Corinthians 1:22For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

If you aren't converted, you will regard it as a stumbling block. I have never seen anyone be genuinely unaffected by the Gospel. They either rage against it or accept it. Let's face it, the Gospel presumes to tell you that you are sinful and need God. That's pretty offensive, but it happens to be true. Not everyone understands the latter part.

WOW...so when the words in the bible aint good enough just change um. gtw, Corinthians is not a gospel and was written to a port full of sailors ane the attending businesses. So you agree,,,,No One actually is nonsense. Thanks
What?......English please.

The Gospel does not tell you you are sinful....The Gospel is the Jesus is the Christ. The Gospels, tell this story, and it is clear Jesus cares little about the sins you think others commit, in fact the thief did not even repent he just acknowledged that Jesus did no crime. I seem to recall something about a speck in otheers eye and a beam in your own, maybe that was the synics.

Can you please give me a detailed rundown of the Gospel? What is the Gospel as you understand it? Now remember, don't mention sin.

I'm not judging others. I already told you, I have no judgement for the state of any man or woman. We are discussing the Bible's view on Homosexuality, not my judgement. If I said:"Homosexuals are dirty and deserve no mercy." Then I would be judging. What I said was: I don't judge their state.
My entire argument is how does the Bible regard this specific sin.
The whole reason I made this forum, is because I'm quite sick and tired of Pseudo-Christians running around with signs, declaring judgement on the gay person.
It's one thing to oppose the act of homosexual relationships, it's another to hate the homosexual. I get it....you don't see the difference.

Whoops...wrong thread. I think I just combined both my forums. Appologize for the confusion.
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson