Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

my 72 virgins

gr33k_fr33k5
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 6:49:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have heard that if a Muslim commits an act of suicide by strapping explosives to him and then setting the explosives off in a highly dense populated area, he is given 72 virgins in heaven. Why else would these 'extremists' commit such acts of terror?
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 6:53:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:49:52 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have heard that if a Muslim commits an act of suicide by strapping explosives to him and then setting the explosives off in a highly dense populated area, he is given 72 virgins in heaven. Why else would these 'extremists' commit such acts of terror?

Response: They do so because they are apparently demented and will do whatever it takes to gain influence in advocating their political agenda, even at the cost of doing extreme and unjust acts with the promise of gaining a reward.
gr33k_fr33k5
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 6:57:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

good to know, so what is the Islamic version of heaven?
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 7:04:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:57:33 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

good to know, so what is the Islamic version of heaven?

Response: Heaven, or Paradise, will be a garden of bliss where righteous muslims will enjoy the fruits and food and company of each other.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 7:16:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:53:33 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:49:52 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have heard that if a Muslim commits an act of suicide by strapping explosives to him and then setting the explosives off in a highly dense populated area, he is given 72 virgins in heaven. Why else would these 'extremists' commit such acts of terror?

Response: They do so because they are apparently demented and will do whatever it takes to gain influence in advocating their political agenda, even at the cost of doing extreme and unjust acts with the promise of gaining a reward.

In Islamic theology, do they get that reward of 72 virgins, or for that matter any reward at all? If neither, what is their fate?
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 7:20:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 7:16:10 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:53:33 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:49:52 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have heard that if a Muslim commits an act of suicide by strapping explosives to him and then setting the explosives off in a highly dense populated area, he is given 72 virgins in heaven. Why else would these 'extremists' commit such acts of terror?

Response: They do so because they are apparently demented and will do whatever it takes to gain influence in advocating their political agenda, even at the cost of doing extreme and unjust acts with the promise of gaining a reward.

In Islamic theology, do they get that reward of 72 virgins, or for that matter any reward at all? If neither, what is their fate?

Response: There is no reward of 72 virgins in Paradise. The reward of Paradise in islam is to live eternally in bliss in a beautiful Garden of great food with fellow righteous muslims.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 7:28:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 7:20:08 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:16:10 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:53:33 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:49:52 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have heard that if a Muslim commits an act of suicide by strapping explosives to him and then setting the explosives off in a highly dense populated area, he is given 72 virgins in heaven. Why else would these 'extremists' commit such acts of terror?

Response: They do so because they are apparently demented and will do whatever it takes to gain influence in advocating their political agenda, even at the cost of doing extreme and unjust acts with the promise of gaining a reward.

In Islamic theology, do they get that reward of 72 virgins, or for that matter any reward at all? If neither, what is their fate?

Response: There is no reward of 72 virgins in Paradise. The reward of Paradise in islam is to live eternally in bliss in a beautiful Garden of great food with fellow righteous muslims.

What if my version of eternal bliss is banging 72 virgins?
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 7:29:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 7:28:00 PM, tkubok wrote:


What if my version of eternal bliss is banging 72 virgins?

Response: Then you would have a different version.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 10:11:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?
No, the Quran doesn't mention 72 virgins, and no authentic hadith does either. The idea isn't widely adapted, and I've heard very few people claim that it is true. The media has made Islam the most misunderstood religion in the world. Concepts like Jihad, which has nothing to do with holy war, are also often wrecked in their original meanings.
gr33k_fr33k5
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 10:35:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
i saw an entire 60 minutes on the idea of "72 virgins" and Jihad . . . and you say it isn't widespread? . . . They had what seemed to be knowledgeable Islamic scholars commenting on this idea claiming that "72" was a number representing infinite rather than a set amount and the like.

Now, I may be wrong but if you ask an average American what the reward muslims will get for believing they will say "72 virgins" . . . just like if you ask them what a Christian gets they'll say "f*ck if I care."

These stereotypes are exactly the things that every religion battles regardless of what their views of eternity are. . . I guess this is all to say that its only "lawlz" to ignorant pricks. . .

Back to the 60 minutes thing, Imams seemed to be backing this belief, just saying.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
bobington
Posts: 76
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 10:49:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

But there is a promise of little virgin boys in heaven for males

SURA LII:24

"And there shall wait on them [the Muslim men] young boys of their own, as fair as virgin pearls."
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 11:09:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 7:29:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:28:00 PM, tkubok wrote:


What if my version of eternal bliss is banging 72 virgins?

Response: Then you would have a different version.
A version of heaven containing 72 virgins?
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 7:26:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 10:35:02 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
i saw an entire 60 minutes on the idea of "72 virgins" and Jihad . . . and you say it isn't widespread? . . . They had what seemed to be knowledgeable Islamic scholars commenting on this idea claiming that "72" was a number representing infinite rather than a set amount and the like.

Now, I may be wrong but if you ask an average American what the reward muslims will get for believing they will say "72 virgins" . . . just like if you ask them what a Christian gets they'll say "f*ck if I care."

These stereotypes are exactly the things that every religion battles regardless of what their views of eternity are. . . I guess this is all to say that its only "lawlz" to ignorant pricks. . .

Back to the 60 minutes thing, Imams seemed to be backing this belief, just saying.

Response: Yet the fact that the claim of 72 virgins is mentioned no where in the qur'an or sunnah demonstrates that any Imam claiming that it is true is clearly wrong. The teachings of islam are derived from the Qur'an and Sunnah, not the words of Imams.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 7:29:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 10:49:10 PM, bobington wrote:


But there is a promise of little virgin boys in heaven for males

SURA LII:24

"And there shall wait on them [the Muslim men] young boys of their own, as fair as virgin pearls."

Response: The verse actually says that there will be youths in paradise, not young virgin boys for males. You must have a bad translation or google provided a bad one.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 7:31:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 11:09:34 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:29:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:28:00 PM, tkubok wrote:


What if my version of eternal bliss is banging 72 virgins?

Response: Then you would have a different version.
A version of heaven containing 72 virgins?

Response: Yes. A hypothetical paradise of 72 virgins will naturally have hypothetically, 72 virgins.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 7:13:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/6/2012 7:31:18 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 11:09:34 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:29:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:28:00 PM, tkubok wrote:


What if my version of eternal bliss is banging 72 virgins?

Response: Then you would have a different version.
A version of heaven containing 72 virgins?

Response: Yes. A hypothetical paradise of 72 virgins will naturally have hypothetically, 72 virgins.

Kool, so there is a heaven where you get 72 virgins?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 7:20:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 6:49:52 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:42:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?

Response: There is no promise of 72 virgins in islam.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have heard that if a Muslim commits an act of suicide by strapping explosives to him and then setting the explosives off in a highly dense populated area, he is given 72 virgins in heaven. Why else would these 'extremists' commit such acts of terror?:

Because of poor translation. He's right, there is no promise of 72 virgins in Islam.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Fatihah
Posts: 7,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 10:07:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/6/2012 7:13:26 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/6/2012 7:31:18 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 11:09:34 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:29:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 7:28:00 PM, tkubok wrote:


What if my version of eternal bliss is banging 72 virgins?

Response: Then you would have a different version.
A version of heaven containing 72 virgins?

Response: Yes. A hypothetical paradise of 72 virgins will naturally have hypothetically, 72 virgins.

Kool, so there is a heaven where you get 72 virgins?

Response: Not in reality.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 10:17:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 10:11:45 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 4/5/2012 6:22:09 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
In Islam is this a promise to be taken literally? Or figuratively as in "banging 72 virgins would be the most awesome thing our sexist, hedonist, society can think of so this must be what heaven is like!"

also is this as widely accepted as it is popularized?
No, the Quran doesn't mention 72 virgins, and no authentic hadith does either.
Who dictates ' what/which ' hadiths are authentic?

Can I have a definitive List of the alleged ' authentic ones ' and a list of those who ' authenticated them and upon what criteria they were ' authenticated? '.

Cheers!
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 10:20:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sorry to throw a wrench in a serious discussion, but wouldn't you rather have 72 beautiful women who know what they're doing, as opposed to 72 women awkwardly fumbling around?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 10:20:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/6/2012 7:29:03 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/5/2012 10:49:10 PM, bobington wrote:


But there is a promise of little virgin boys in heaven for males

SURA LII:24

"And there shall wait on them [the Muslim men] young boys of their own, as fair as virgin pearls."

Response: The verse actually says that there will be youths in paradise, not young virgin boys for males. You must have a bad translation or google provided a bad one.
052.024
YUSUFALI: Round about them will serve, (devoted) to them, young male servants (handsome) as Pearls well-guarded.
PICKTHAL: And there go round, waiting on them menservants of their own, as they were hidden pearls.
SHAKIR: And round them shall go boys of theirs as if they were hidden pearls.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2012 10:58:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If it were true that suicide bombers went to heaven and got 72 virgins that would mean little Muslim girls who died as virgins go tho hell. Like any of them would want to have sex with some smelly toothless guy.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%