Jump to topic:

Does the mind = the soul to the Theist?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2012 11:48:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm just wondering, is the mind, soul, and body three separate things to most Theists? Or, are the mind and soul the same thing?
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 12:34:22 PM
At 4/7/2012 11:48:59 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I'm just wondering, is the mind, soul, and body three separate things to most Theists? Or, are the mind and soul the same thing?

How do you define mind and soul?
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 1:03:16 PM

Depends on the religion too... To Jainists, the mind attempts to liberate the soul from the body. To Christians, the body is just as sacred as the soul or the mind in that it is created by God. It really depends on the religion.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2012 6:02:58 PM

It probably depends on who you ask. Theists differ on some issues. I haven't done a whole lot of study on the soul or on resurrection. But as far as I understand the Scriptures, the soul is separate from the body, just inhabiting it. While the soul inhabits the body it is alive and we can utilize all the functions of the body, including the mind.

When we die, the soul is temporarily separated and we live on in Heaven (and unbelievers in Hell, or some kind of holding place awaiting judgement -- not entirely clear on this point). Once Jesus returns (i.e. the second coming), those of us who have died will be resurrected and the soul with either inhabit the body again or we will inhabit new, glorified bodies (again, unclear on this point), so our souls will be inhabiting a body again but one that is indestructible, as opposed to the one we're inhabiting now.

So once we are separated, we will still have something akin to a mind because from what I understand, while the soul is separated we will have a conscious experience of the next life.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:13:02 AM

At the Time of the bible Mind and soul were the synonymous, and they were in the heart..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 4:46:01 PM

I believe that they are currently considered separate things for Christians. However, I think that the soul & mind might be one and the same. Problem is, once the brain goes so goes the mind! Or maybe not?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 4:53:36 PM
At 4/10/2012 4:46:01 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

I believe that they are currently considered separate things for Christians. However, I think that the soul & mind might be one and the same. Problem is, once the brain goes so goes the mind! Or maybe not?

The Fool: If we lose more and more mental faculties the more damage that is made to the brain, its makes no sense to say that when the brain is totally none functional everthing suddenly everything come back. lol.

I can make an argument for the soul though. That could survive.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 5:02:08 PM
At 4/10/2012 4:53:36 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Do tell...
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 5:27:27 PM
At 4/10/2012 5:02:08 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:53:36 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Do tell...

not here. lol Theologins would go banana's with it.