Jump to topic:

Question for Atheist

stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 6:12:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I want to know what is the main cause for atheism. Is it the believed to be lack of evidence or is it as Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle, That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

I know this may create a false dichotomy, but just generally speaking it would be great to get some opinions. I also realize this is a debate site so many intellectual people will be answering and probably saying the supposed lack of evidence, but I want to see if there was also atheist that agreed with Brennan Manning.

Thank you to anyone who responds.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 6:38:44 PM
This is an interesting topic subject to a lot of misconceptions. For instance, Theists often consider Atheism to be analogous to a religion for instance they might ask if you are a Christian, Muslim, Jew, or Atheist. That analogy doesn't work because Atheism isn't a belief in anything. Rather, people who do not follow any religion or do not buy into the concept of "god" are commonly labelled as Atheists. Reason for not believing varies. I don't believe in any religion or any god because not only do they all lack sufficient scientific proof but often contradict what we already know about the world such as the Big Bang Theory, The theory of evolution etc.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 6:57:44 PM
At 4/10/2012 6:38:44 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
This is an interesting topic subject to a lot of misconceptions. For instance, Theists often consider Atheism to be analogous to a religion for instance they might ask if you are a Christian, Muslim, Jew, or Atheist. That analogy doesn't work because Atheism isn't a belief in anything. Rather, people who do not follow any religion or do not buy into the concept of "god" are commonly labelled as Atheists. Reason for not believing varies. I don't believe in any religion or any god because not only do they all lack sufficient scientific proof but often contradict what we already know about the world such as the Big Bang Theory, The theory of evolution etc.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think Christianity contradicts things such as the Big Bang Theory, or the Theory of Evolution?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:00:24 PM
At 4/10/2012 6:12:40 PM, stubs wrote:
I want to know what is the main cause for atheism.

Being born.

Is it the believed to be lack of evidence or is it as Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle, That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

I know this may create a false dichotomy, but just generally speaking it would be great to get some opinions. I also realize this is a debate site so many intellectual people will be answering and probably saying the supposed lack of evidence, but I want to see if there was also atheist that agreed with Brennan Manning.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:16:38 PM
At 4/10/2012 7:05:25 PM, stubs wrote:
At 4/10: : At 4/10/2012/2012 7:00:24 PM, drafterman wrote:

Being born.

Could you please expand?

I was born an atheist and I have yet to be exposed to anything that has swayed me from this position.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:30:27 PM
At 4/10/2012 7:26:53 PM, tkubok wrote:
Lack of evidence.

Thats why im an atheist.

Thanks for the reply. good to hear from you again man.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:55:30 PM
At 4/10/2012 6:57:44 PM, stubs wrote:
At 4/10/2012 6:38:44 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Do you think Christianity contradicts things such as the Big Bang Theory, or the Theory of Evolution?

Creationism contradicts evolution. I don't know a lot about Christianity but a quick search shows that some Christians accept creationism as true.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

This link also shows the various types of biblical creationism.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:59:07 PM
At 4/10/2012 7:55:30 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Creationism contradicts evolution. I don't know a lot about Christianity but a quick search shows that some Christians accept creationism as true.

7 Day creationism does contradict evolution but that is only one type of interpretation of Genesis 1. There are many Christians who believe the world is 13.7 billion years old and who accept biological evolution.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:00:30 PM
I want to know what is the main cause for atheism. Is it the believed to be lack of evidence or is it as Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle, That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

I've only heard about God from others humans, and the way this God figure is described sounds conveniently like a human with all our petty emotions. Either man created God with his mind or God created man with his mind, so based on the principle of Occam's Razor, I eliminated the assumption of existence (Humans existing isn't an assumption of existence, it's a fact we exist).

Basically, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the concept of God was most likely man made (I have better reasons to justify my Atheism now though).
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:01:34 PM
At 4/10/2012 7:59:07 PM, stubs wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:55:30 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

7 Day creationism does contradict evolution but that is only one type of interpretation of Genesis 1. There are many Christians who believe the world is 13.7 billion years old and who accept biological evolution.

Do you believe we have souls?
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:05:08 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:00:30 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

I've only heard about God from others humans, and the way this God figure is described sounds conveniently like a human with all our petty emotions. Either man created God with his mind or God created man with his mind, so based on the principle of Occam's Razor, I eliminated the assumption of existence (Humans existing isn't an assumption of existence, it's a fact we exist).

Basically, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the concept of God was most likely man made (I have better reasons to justify my Atheism now though).

It would be great if I would be able to talk to you about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. If you want to just friend and msg me. If not that's fine too
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:06:18 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:05:45 PM, stubs wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:01:34 PM, drafterman wrote:

How do you define souls?

Ok... do you believe in something that you consider to be a soul?
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:09:10 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:06:18 PM, drafterman wrote:

How do you define souls?

Are you asking what the bible means by soul?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:11:12 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:09:10 PM, stubs wrote:

How do you define souls?

No. I'm asking if you believe in something that you consider to be a soul.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:13:54 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:11:12 PM, drafterman wrote:

How do you define souls?

I'm not really sure how to answer that if we haven't defined soul yet.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:17:53 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:13:54 PM, stubs wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:11:12 PM, drafterman wrote:

How do you define souls?

I'm not really sure how to answer that if we haven't defined soul yet.

If I asked you if you owned a car, would you require me to define what a car is, first?

Either you believe you have something you consider to be a soul or you don't. If "soul" is a meaningless, undefined concept to you, then the answer is "No." I'm not asking if you believe you have something that *I* consider to be a soul, I'm asking if you have something that *you* consider to be a soul.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:23:28 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:17:53 PM, drafterman wrote:

If I asked you if you owned a car, would you require me to define what a car is, first?

Either you believe you have something you consider to be a soul or you don't. If "soul" is a meaningless, undefined concept to you, then the answer is "No." I'm not asking if you believe you have something that *I* consider to be a soul, I'm asking if you have something that *you* consider to be a soul.

If I was unclear about what you meant by car yes I would ask you to define what it is. Nevertheless I will try to do my best to answer your question. I do believe the bible to be true and the hebrew word for soul is pronounced nay-fesh which literally means a breathing creature, is variously translated as soul, life, person, mind, heart, creature, body, himself, yourselves, dead, will, desire, man, themselves and appetite. The Greek word for soul pronounced psoo-kay, which literally means life's breath or breathing, is variously translated as soul, life, mind and heart. I am not a bible scholar but I think that according to the bible a soul is a living, breathing creature.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:33:24 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:23:28 PM, stubs wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:17:53 PM, drafterman wrote:

If I was unclear about what you meant by car yes I would ask you to define what it is. Nevertheless I will try to do my best to answer your question. I do believe the bible to be true and the hebrew word for soul is pronounced nay-fesh which literally means a breathing creature, is variously translated as soul, life, person, mind, heart, creature, body, himself, yourselves, dead, will, desire, man, themselves and appetite. The Greek word for soul pronounced psoo-kay, which literally means life's breath or breathing, is variously translated as soul, life, mind and heart. I am not a bible scholar but I think that according to the bible a soul is a living, breathing creature.

But you're not sure. So, the Bible is unclear on what a soul is?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:35:07 PM

If I was pretending to be Izbo, I'd answer the question "what is the main cause for atheism?" with "logic."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:47:24 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:33:24 PM, drafterman wrote:

I don't think it's so much the bible is unclear as the fact that I am not smart enough to figure it all out. I admittedly do not fully understand what the soul exactly is, but I wouldn't say that's the bibles fault. I simply haven't studied it enough and it is also hard because I cannot read a lot of hebrew or greek. It is also hard to read it in the context that the author would be writing it in rather than the context I am reading it in.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:02:13 PM
At 4/10/2012 8:47:24 PM, stubs wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:33:24 PM, drafterman wrote:

I don't think it's so much the bible is unclear as the fact that I am not smart enough to figure it all out. I admittedly do not fully understand what the soul exactly is, but I wouldn't say that's the bibles fault. I simply haven't studied it enough and it is also hard because I cannot read a lot of hebrew or greek. It is also hard to read it in the context that the author would be writing it in rather than the context I am reading it in.

So, the content of the Bible is only fully accessible to scholars capable of reading ancient languages? That, frankly, is preposterous, especially given in light of the claim that I risk eternal punishment for failing to accept it.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:07:40 PM
At 4/10/2012 9:02:13 PM, drafterman wrote:

So, the content of the Bible is only fully accessible to scholars capable of reading ancient languages? That, frankly, is preposterous, especially given in light of the claim that I risk eternal punishment for failing to accept it.

I never said that. The bible does not teach that if you don't understand what the soul is there is eternal punishment. The bible only teaches that if someone does not believe in Jesus as their savior they will suffer eternal punishment, and I do not think that someone needs to be a bible scholar to understand that.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:25:43 PM
At 4/10/2012 9:07:40 PM, stubs wrote:

I never said that. The bible does not teach that if you don't understand what the soul is there is eternal punishment. The bible only teaches that if someone does not believe in Jesus as their savior they will suffer eternal punishment, and I do not think that someone needs to be a bible scholar to understand that.

Ah. So what a soul is utterly confounds you, but not the requirements for eternal salvation?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:31:20 PM
Lack of evidence, and just a feeling too.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:58:24 PM
At 4/10/2012 9:25:43 PM, drafterman wrote:

Ah. So what a soul is utterly confounds you, but not the requirements for eternal salvation?

I wouldn't say that it "utterly confounds" me, but I would say I am not completely sure about what it is. And I would also not say that the requirements for eternal salvation "utterly confounds" me.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 12:59:01 AM
I want to know what is the main cause for atheism.

We are all atheists when we're born. We shouldn't change that without good grounds.

Is it the believed to be lack of evidence or is it as Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle, That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

It's that we can't see the difference between the bible and Mother Goose. You need a plausible story, if you want people to believe it. Talking snakes, contradictory gods, worldwide floods, those aren't plausible. They are presumptively false.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 1:12:03 AM
At 4/10/2012 9:07:40 PM, stubs wrote:

Rev. 21:4 KJV Story book refutes the notion of eternal punishment and states that ' the former things ' shall cease! -

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death , neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Rev. 21:4) KJV Story book

Hence the claim of ' eternal suffering ' is just another christian BS claim even according to their own preferred Story book!

I don't think only a bible scholar is capable of discerning and understanding that!

Next!