Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Was Man Created In Gods Image -Or Vice Versa?

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:05:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Women are subject to monthly periods which are both physically and emotionally painful. They are also fated to endure the pain of childbirth, which up until the last hundred years was a far more common cause of death than it is now. It was exceedingly more painful as well, without the manmade advances in the field of medicine such as spinal anesthesia (that God was not so kind to point out in any of his holy books, curiously enough). The God of the Bible justifies condemning all women to such pain, and all men to toil and labor, because of the sins of Adam and Eve; God has absolutely no problem punishing humans for that which they did not do, a fact corroborated by Exodus 20:5 and Deuteronomy 28: 58-59 in which God promises vengeance in the form of awful plagues and punishment upon the descendants of those who worship another God. But these verses pale in comparison to Deuteronomy 25:19 in which God commands the Israelites to "blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven", and it follows, all their descendants ad inifitum. God would admonish King Saul hundreds of years later for daring not to slaughter every single one of Amalek's doubtlessly guiltless animals.

So wrong is this heinous and stupid idea, and in so many ways, that I honestly don't know where to begin in pointing them out. For one, any decent person living today should appreciate the blatant immorality of punishing people for that which their ancestors did and they did not – much less committing genocide against them. For another, how could any decent person possibly justify the way in which God swears he will exact this cruel vengeance upon the descendants of idol worshipers, with great plagues and diseases? Surely this line of thinking is something to be associated with totalitarian dictators, not the most morally perfect and all loving entity as is possible in all of existence. Further, this commandment-threat is clearly indicative of God's "jealous" nature; as he states in the Bible, "the Lord thy God is a jealous God." But if you are omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, eternal, and the creator of all that exists, of whom or what could you possibly be jealous?

One must ask themselves the question: Is it really likely that the omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent creator of the entire universe is indeed a jealous God who picks and chooses "favorites" among mankind, revealing himself occasionally to primitive brutes thousands of years ago in the middle of the desert where most people were illiterate, thought the world was flat and that heaven was "up there somewhere", firmly believed in slavery, treated women as property, and so on and so forth? Or is it just a tad more likely that ancient man made God in his own primitive, racist, sexist, scientifically ignorant, morally reprehensible image, and not the other way around?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 9:13:01 PM
At 4/11/2012 11:05:34 AM, jat93 wrote:
. . . . (that God was not so kind to point out in any of his holy books, curiously enough).
Tried to PM this but you BLOCKED that Option.

I am NO bible supporter but in fairness Gen. 2:21 disagrees with your comment!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 9:43:52 PM
I wish I had been as smart as you are, when I was seventeen; it would of saved me from a lot of grief. Religion kept me bullheaded and "right", but knowledge has a way of softening the heart and adding a little humility to one's life.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:23:15 PM
At 4/11/2012 9:13:01 PM, Composer wrote:
At 4/11/2012 11:05:34 AM, jat93 wrote:
. . . . (that God was not so kind to point out in any of his holy books, curiously enough).
Tried to PM this but you BLOCKED that Option.

I am NO bible supporter but in fairness Gen. 2:21 disagrees with your comment!

I didn't block anything, at least not that I know of... Sorry, guess that's just the default setting.

So, care to elaborate? My point was that God could have spared much pain and death if he had simply pointed out modern medicine now used to make childbirth easier. And furthermore, before the Industrial Revolution, most children died before reaching the age of 5. So great was the pre-modern loss of children's lives that anthropologists claim to have found groups that do not name children until they have survived a year. Of this, I simply ask God: why?

Why was he not more helpful is he is omnipotent (so he can help) omniscient (he knows they'll need help) and omnibenevolent (so he wants to help)? Why let literally countless women and their babies die of childbirth given those three characteristics? It does not seem to me that such massive suffering on such a massive scale is compatible with that God.