Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Why are you an Athiest?

wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2012 11:47:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/12/2012 10:06:31 PM, Sans_the_Ander wrote:
What is/are your reason(s) for being an athiest?

We're born atheist. We shouldn't change that without good reason. But there aren't good reasons to change. The theistic arguments are all bogus.
Sans_the_Ander
Posts: 133
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 1:51:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 1:43:56 AM, FREEDO wrote:
God appeared to me in a dream and told me he doesn't exist.

If you're an athiest God wouldn't have appeared to you in the first place
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 1:52:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 1:43:56 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Everybody want the good, we are just more or less ignorance about how to get it' Socrates.

Everybody would like the answer to life to come easy, we all would like some powerful being watching over us with a promise of a happy eternal afterlife. It's a difference in a standard of knowledge, and a standard of morals. Thirdly, a standard of progress.

It's completely irrational to think if we just believe something it becomes true. It doesn't make any sense in any other form, and there is no special reason we should think it does in any supernatural sense. As for logic, there is nothing logical about it, if it was we would all believe it. Throughout all of history there has only been evil that has come out of it. And I am not talking about the "word" evil in as in the bible. But the actual, pain, lies, murdering and suffering, it has caused. Now someone may say that it's not all religious people. But it's the religion itself is still responsible.

Nobody is able to justify their interpretation over anybody else's, everyone thing that they have the right one. The word interpretation should not even be related to a bible context, if it was from such a God. There shouldn't even be a book.
Nobody who is theist seems to know their own history, they know what the book said, but nobody tells them how bad, things have been, and would be the very same tomorrow, if it was let run wild. And no interpretation or reading is more special then the next.

Every single progress we have had has been based on having to defy the church in some manner. It was so hard to even get science going; some people had to sacrifice for it. Religion makes our children dumb, and turns people minds into mush. Its stops progress of humanity. The People that have had religion as part of their government are suffering. And that would be our fate too, if it didn't get put out. All there has been is pain and suffering by such monotheist religions.
But nobody hates the people it's the evil that it has and remains to cause people to do. Regardless if it's not all people it's still the source of those causes. Nobody deserves any special pleading in that they have the right interpretation. Even the fact that the world interpretation has to be use at all in relation to any such text, is a declaration of uncertainty, there shouldn't be any interpretation, nothing fits in with such works as being related to a perfect being, what so ever. There wouldn't even be books, if that made sense.

It tells people they are evil in nature and they need God to fix this, this causes people to actually become evil, and enabling to do atrocious things, and it's okay because they are sinners by nature and all they have to do is ask God's forgiveness. It makes people hate others. People end up of hating people of other religions, its the cause of the majority of all wars. There deceeption hasn't changed. The big bang theory had been purposely misinterpreted. Logic and supernatural, have never mix. Lastly, People need their own morals; to be Moral or else they end up doing just because God said so, and not for the good in itself. That is not being moral.

It's not the same to say atheist do such things. The totality of evil is overwhelmingly on one side, there are no teams, an atheist may do something for some believe but it not for the sake of atheism, that they act out of. Where the religious hate for reasons that cannot even be rationality justified, supernatural Hate.

It's the Achilles heel of humanity.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 1:52:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Long live the Good!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 1:54:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 1:51:35 AM, Sans_the_Ander wrote:
At 4/13/2012 1:43:56 AM, FREEDO wrote:
God appeared to me in a dream and told me he doesn't exist.

If you're an athiest God wouldn't have appeared to you in the first place

That's what he wants you to think.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 2:32:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Didnt you already ask this, like a dozen times?

Most of us here are atheist because of lack of evidence, that we have not been convinced and cannot be until sufficient evidence is presented.

Why do you keep asking us this?
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 3:28:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/12/2012 10:06:31 PM, Sans_the_Ander wrote:
This is a question for the athiests on DDO. What is/are your reason(s) for being an athiest?

I'm just curious :p

Because why not?
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 6:32:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/12/2012 10:06:31 PM, Sans_the_Ander wrote:
This is a question for the athiests on DDO. What is/are your reason(s) for being an athiest?

I'm just curious :p

Banter
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 7:19:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/12/2012 10:06:31 PM, Sans_the_Ander wrote:
This is a question for the athiests on DDO. What is/are your reason(s) for being an athiest?

I'm just curious :p

Ok. I've given the long-winded answer:
http://www.debate.org...

I've given the short-winded answer:
http://www.debate.org...

Now for the troll answer:
Me being a theist would require a level of cognitive dissonance that I cannot currently have without a magnitude of head trauma that would more than likely kill me.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:07:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 10:06:06 AM, jat93 wrote:
Refer to this post as to why I am an atheist: http://www.debate.org...

Or if you don't want to read the whole thing...

Is it really likely that the omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent creator of the entire universe is indeed a jealous God who picks and chooses "favorites" among mankind, revealing himself occasionally to primitive brutes thousands of years ago in the middle of the desert where most people were illiterate, thought the world was flat and that heaven was "up there somewhere", firmly believed in slavery, treated women as property, and so on and so forth? Or is it just a tad more likely that ancient man made God in his own primitive, racist, sexist, scientifically ignorant, morally reprehensible image, and not the other way around?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:27:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have a cat who is (obviously) an atheist. Frankly, I found his arguments more convincing and well thought out than those of theists.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:52:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
i'm not an atheist.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:53:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 1:43:56 AM, FREEDO wrote:
God appeared to me in a dream and told me he doesn't exist.

HAHAHAHAH!!!!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Sans_the_Ander
Posts: 133
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:54:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 2:32:29 AM, tkubok wrote:
Didnt you already ask this, like a dozen times?

Most of us here are atheist because of lack of evidence, that we have not been convinced and cannot be until sufficient evidence is presented.

Why do you keep asking us this?

Ummmmm... no? You might have me confused with someone else this is the first time I've ever asked it
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2012 10:57:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/13/2012 10:27:04 AM, vbaculum wrote:
I have a cat who is (obviously) an atheist. Frankly, I found his arguments more convincing and well thought out than those of theists.

+1

For the OP-
Lack of evidence.

Did you know there are some people in the world who believe in fairies? Why don't you believe in fairies?

There are also some people in the world who don't believe in the Christian god but instead believe in Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesh, etc. Why don't you believe in those gods? They have just as much evidence for their gods as you have for yours.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.