Jump to topic:

Does anyone want to explain...

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 9:54:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
... why the three largest religions in the world are all Middle Eastern in origin? How is that explained? What is it about these three particular religions that not only allowed them to beat any others, but also meant that they have stayed attractive today? It's just a discussion. I don't necessarily want bashing of the three or anything, but what are the social and mental factors that attributed to this?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 10:04:58 PM
The monotheistic quality plays a large role, as well as the fact that those religions were propelled with the use of massive armies.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 10:12:56 PM
monotheistic religions provided a better palate for mind manipulation than polytheistic or more naturalistic paths, and humans of those faiths were able to make power plays sooner.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 2:32:46 AM
I don't think the top 3 are from the Middle East. Judaism isn't top 3.

1. Christianity
2. Islam
3. Hinduism
4. Buddhism
5. Judaism
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 5:19:17 AM
I think it's well explained by the religious choices made by the civilisations which have since risen led to our current configuration of cultural epicentres. (Alliteration for the win).

Check this out: http://www.mapsofwar.com...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 5:26:01 AM
At 4/16/2012 5:19:17 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I think it's well explained by the religious choices made by the civilisations which have since risen to lead to our current configuration of cultural epicentres. (Alliteration for the win).

Check this out: http://www.mapsofwar.com...

Muh threads
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 5:41:34 AM
At 4/16/2012 2:32:46 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't think the top 3 are from the Middle East. Judaism isn't top 3.

1. Christianity
2. Islam
3. Hinduism
4. Buddhism
5. Judaism

OK. From East then.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 5:56:13 AM
At 4/15/2012 9:54:27 PM, M.Torres wrote:
... why the three largest religions in the world are all Middle Eastern in origin? How is that explained? What is it about these three particular religions that not only allowed them to beat any others, but also meant that they have stayed attractive today? It's just a discussion. I don't necessarily want bashing of the three or anything, but what are the social and mental factors that attributed to this?

I am just providing the religious answer.

Prophet Ibrahim (Peace on Him) made several sacrifices for the sake of his faith. God tested him in many ways, and he passed all of the tests. Finally he prayed to Allah make him and his children as the leaders of mankind and standard-bearers of faith. This prayer was accepted but the with the condition that the promise was not applicable to wicked people among his descendents.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam trace there roots to Prophet Ibrahim (Peace on Him). More that half of the world's population accepts him as our commander. The major prophets like Prophet Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (Peace on Them) are descendents of Prophet Ibrahim (Peace on Him).

Since he lived in middle east, these religions are also related to middle east.

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 6:09:56 AM
At 4/16/2012 5:56:13 AM, baggins wrote:

Prophet Ibrahim (Peace on Him) made several sacrifices for the sake of his faith. God tested him in many ways, and he passed all of the tests. Finally he prayed to Allah make him and his children as the leaders of mankind and standard-bearers of faith. This prayer was accepted but the with the condition that the promise was not applicable to wicked people among his descendents.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam trace there roots to Prophet Ibrahim (Peace on Him). More that half of the world's population accepts him as our commander. The major prophets like Prophet Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (Peace on Them) are descendents of Prophet Ibrahim (Peace on Him).

Why haven't Buddhism or Hinduism shown any sign of going anywhere in all this time if "Finally he prayed to Allah make him and his children as the leaders of mankind and standard-bearers of faith." is a real prophesy?

Muh threads
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 6:38:47 AM
At 4/16/2012 6:09:56 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/16/2012 5:56:13 AM, baggins wrote:

Why haven't Buddhism or Hinduism shown any sign of going anywhere in all this time if "Finally he prayed to Allah make him and his children as the leaders of mankind and standard-bearers of faith." is a real prophesy?

Probably because the promise is not that all earlier religions will be destroyed.

BTW, the words I have are my own and not accurate words of the promise. The way you are quoting it, makes it look a bit weird. Here is the more accurate version:

The Holy Quran
2:124 (Y. Ali) And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an Imam to the Nations." He pleaded: "And also (Imams) from my offspring!" He answered: "But My Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers."

Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 12:52:07 AM

Deception, deception, and deception. Simple answer communism (control) let no one else have the freedom to think otherwise or else! But not always.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 12:58:28 AM
At 4/19/2012 12:52:07 AM, Suqua wrote:

Deception, deception, and deception. Simple answer communism (control) let no one else have the freedom to think otherwise or else! But not always.

?

The lack of free thinking? Got it. That is why all of those religions have so many different sects and denominations right?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 1:34:18 AM
At 4/19/2012 12:58:28 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

?

The lack of free thinking? Got it. That is why all of those religions have so many different sects and denominations right?

Big deal, one wears green pants the other shorts, their not so different, they can work with that . But that which is foreign and not immoral, which ones will allow
that in the same country to thrive with the same rights?
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 1:49:22 AM
At 4/19/2012 1:34:18 AM, Suqua wrote:

?

Big deal, one wears green pants the other shorts, their not so different, they can work with that . But that which is foreign and not immoral, which ones will allow

Really? They are not so different despite many of these denominations have vastly different opinions on social issues and their teachings? Some denominations of Christianity believe that homosexuality is acceptable and others do not. Some (not many) believe abortion is a woman's right.

Getting into theology, some don't think free will exists while others do. Some do not believe in hell or purgatory. Some do not hold the Eucharist to be the body and blood of Christ. They have different traditions and practiices. They have integrated themselves into society in different ways. All the differences I have stated are substantial.

And clarify what you meant in your last statement. It is incoherent.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Tlhedglin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 3:13:34 AM

1. They were spread widely at the point of a sword.

2. They have beliefs that are easily ingrained and indoctrinated into the pre-adolescent mind.

3. They have an active framework of communal reinforcement, recrimination, and recruiting.

4. They give people warm and fuzzy feelings in their tender nethers.
Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:50:58 AM
At 4/19/2012 1:49:22 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 4/19/2012 1:34:18 AM, Suqua wrote:

?

Really? They are not so different despite many of these denominations have vastly different opinions on social issues and their teachings? Some denominations of Christianity believe that homosexuality is acceptable and others do not. Some (not many) believe abortion is a woman's right.

Getting into theology, some don't think free will exists while others do. Some do not believe in hell or purgatory. Some do not hold the Eucharist to be the body and blood of Christ. They have different traditions and practiices. They have integrated themselves into society in different ways. All the differences I have stated are substantial.

And clarify what you meant in your last statement. It is incoherent.

It seems you're getting ahead of yourself. Explain what are the 3 largest religions in the world that come from the east. Then we can move forward, because it will be about what is the 3 largest. We could very well be on the same page.
cork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 10:38:14 AM
... why the three largest religions in the world are all Middle Eastern in origin?
(I am assuming you mean Judaism which is by far not one of the largest at 11-15 mill.)
How is that explained?
The ans. is bec. they all come from Judaism the original monotheistic religion

What is it about these three particular religions that not only allowed them to beat any others, but also meant that they have stayed attractive today?

The 1st question is an excellent question that I've had for years, but it doesn't apply to all 3.
Judaism has almost always been on the receiving end, (until perhaps 50 yr. ago, but that's complicated and debatable.)
Adding to the question is that 2 of them consider themselves "religions of peace and tolerance".

For the 2nd question:
2,000 yr. and 1500 yr. aren't so long considering that they had large #'s and countries.
The question is more valid on Judaism which is; much older, smaller, and has been scattered in exile for 1'000's of yrs. I don't have a "rational/ scientific" ans.
In fact in the Jewish world this is used as a piece of evidence, for Judaism.

It's just a discussion. I don't necessarily want bashing of the three or anything, but what are the social and mental factors that attributed to this?