Meditation.

CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 7:22:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is it a religious practice?
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 7:27:18 PM
At 4/16/2012 7:22:47 PM, CrazyPerson wrote:

No. Mainstream psychology recognizes its reality as a legit practice with real benefits.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 7:30:27 PM
At 4/16/2012 7:27:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No. Mainstream psychology recognizes its reality as a legit practice with real benefits.

I suppose the fact that it's legit doesn't mean it's not religious, but it is a real practice that can be practiced in a secular setting and doesn't require religious belief to be attached to it unlike prayer.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 7:39:31 PM
At 4/16/2012 7:30:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/16/2012 7:27:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I suppose the fact that it's legit doesn't mean it's not religious, but it is a real practice that can be practiced in a secular setting and doesn't require religious belief to be attached to it unlike prayer.

I think prayer can be secular as well if you address it to the subconscious.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 7:43:03 PM
Anything that lowers stress is good and meditation does that.
Stress is a killer.

Meditation isn't exclusively religious. It's essentially an attempt at calmness.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 7:46:03 PM
Only if you're not meditating while you're doing it.
THE CHOSEN ONE
THE GRAND POOBAH OF DDO
THE BOOGIE MAN
THE REAL LIFE SANTA CLAUSE
THE PARADOXICAL ZEBRA PRANCING THROUGH THE GRASSY PLANES YOUR COGNITIVE EXPERIENCE
THE REINCARNATION OF THE DEAD DREAMS OF HUMANITY
THE DISH WHO RAN AWAY WITH THE SPOON
Your friend.