Jump to topic:

A Question for Theists

ianspigler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."
thisisnottom
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:58:24 PM
Ooooh! Interesting question. I don't have an answer though because god's not real :D
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:13:25 PM
Here's another question for theists:

Why has no amputee in the history of humans ever experienced a miracle which cured them of their affliction?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:23:55 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:13:25 PM, Oryus wrote:

Why has no amputee in the history of humans ever experienced a miracle which cured them of their affliction?

"A starfish's body automatically knows that it should have a certain number of rays, and if one is missing, a new ray will start to grow right where the old one was. A few starfish can even grow entirely new bodies from just a single limb." - http://www.whyzz.com...

The answer to your question is simple my friend, God likes starfish better.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:27:21 PM
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

God is omnipotent in the sense that he can go anything that is possible within the limits of the Universe. God can create the universe and life, but he cannot make a d!ck so big he cannot suck it.

This argument is clever, but it's been refuted.
http://www.debate.org...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:30:13 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:27:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:

God is omnipotent in the sense that he can go anything that is possible within the limits of the Universe. God can create the universe and life, but he cannot make a d!ck so big he cannot suck it.

What about miracles?
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:30:38 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:23:55 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

"A starfish's body automatically knows that it should have a certain number of rays, and if one is missing, a new ray will start to grow right where the old one was. A few starfish can even grow entirely new bodies from just a single limb." - http://www.whyzz.com...

The answer to your question is simple my friend, God likes starfish better.

hahahaha >.< he certainly does, doesn't he?
:
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:41:51 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:30:13 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:27:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:

What about miracles?

Don't ask me, I think it's all bullshyt; just giving you the typical Theist response to this particular paradox.

Muh threads
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:42:04 PM

The question is meaningless because it's logically incoherent. It's like saying that unless God make a round square, he can't be omnipotent. These paradox's are all the rage today, but they're old arguments against a false conception of God.
WxGeo
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:49:02 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

P1a: According to most religious scholars, the Omnipotence paradox has been refuted with the maximally omnipotent versus logically omnipotent response.
P1b: It then follows that the God worshipped by such people is only logically omnipotent, not maximally omnipotent.
P2: It is logically impossible for Jesus to walk on water, multiply loaves and fishes, turn water into wine, heal the sick by spitting on them, rise from the dead and lead a zombie army around for 30 days.
Ca: Jesus couldn't perform any miracles.
Cb: The Bible reports that Jesus performed some of the above miracles.
Cc: The Bible is false.

I'm probably missing some critical point here which refutes my whole argument.
Interested to see what it is.

Muh threads
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:50:06 PM
So, a recap:

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

The conclusion doesn't follow, suppose God creates a self-sustaining universe and never interacts with it.

I don't believe that, but just if I grant the truth of all your premises, the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow.

But now suppose God had sufficient reason for allowing amputees to remain as they are. The trouble with negating this is you immediately, and falsely, place yourself in elevated epistemic position (eP). Such a burden can't be carried.
WxGeo
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:49:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
So, a recap:

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

P1a: According to most religious scholars, the Omnipotence paradox has been refuted with the maximally omnipotent versus logically omnipotent response.
P1b: It then follows that the God worshipped by such people is only logically omnipotent, not maximally omnipotent.
P2: It is logically impossible for Jesus to walk on water, multiply loaves and fishes, turn water into wine, heal the sick by spitting on them, rise from the dead and lead a zombie army around for 30 days.

Your're right, the premises are false. It's not that Jesus's walking on water is logically false, rather it's 'physically' false. There seems to be no logical incoherence with someone breaking physical regularities and walking upon water.

You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.
WxGeo
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:53:36 PM
So, a recap:

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

yeah. Pretty much. Either miracles are not supernatural or miracles never happened. That's what you have to accept to accept that god is only omnipotent within the range of what is possible in the universe.
:
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:55:44 PM

I've heard people say, "Yes, God could make a rock so big that he couldn't lift it. And then proceed to lift it"
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:55:47 PM

Your question presupposes that no amputee has ever had his limb regrown.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:57:53 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM, WxGeo wrote:
So, a recap:

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

Your're right, the premises are false. It's not that Jesus's walking on water is logically false, rather it's 'physically' false. There seems to be no logical incoherence with someone breaking physical regularities and walking upon water.

This.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:59:39 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:50:06 PM, WxGeo wrote:
So, a recap:

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

The conclusion doesn't follow, suppose God creates a self-sustaining universe and never interacts with it.

I don't believe that, but just if I grant the truth of all your premises, the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow.

But now suppose God had sufficient reason for allowing amputees to remain as they are. The trouble with negating this is you immediately, and falsely, place yourself in elevated epistemic position (eP). Such a burden can't be carried.

Hehe, I agree. I wrote that in a very sarcastic and facetious manner.
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:01:08 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:53:36 PM, Oryus wrote:
So, a recap:

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

yeah. Pretty much. Either miracles are not supernatural or miracles never happened. That's what you have to accept to accept that god is only omnipotent within the range of what is possible in the universe.

This dilemma is false, suppose miracles are supernatural.
WxGeo
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:01:48 PM

Though I think the question has already been answered, I'll answer it simply:

Omnipotence is being defined as doing anything logically possible. Therefore no, he can't create a rock so big he couldn't lift it, but that's because that'd be logically impossible. If you re-word the argument it supports the idea that God is omnipotent in that:

"God can not create a rock so big he can't lift it"

becomes

"There is no rock God can not lift"

Therefore answering "no" supports the idea that God is omnipotent.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:02:13 PM

Ahhhh, so the supernatural is logical possible.
Which of us is making the outrageous claim?
Me thinks it's you.

Muh threads
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:02:19 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:59:39 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:50:06 PM, WxGeo wrote:
So, a recap:

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

Hehe, I agree. I wrote that in a very sarcastic and facetious manner.

That's good for you, but not your case.
WxGeo
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:05:55 PM
At 4/19/2012 7:01:48 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:

Though I think the question has already been answered, I'll answer it simply:

Omnipotence is being defined as doing anything logically possible. Therefore no, he can't create a rock so big he couldn't lift it, but that's because that'd be logically impossible. If you re-word the argument it supports the idea that God is omnipotent in that:

"God can not create a rock so big he can't lift it"

becomes

"There is no rock God can not lift"

Therefore answering "no" supports the idea that God is omnipotent.

God's omnipotence has always had trouble being defined. Rather Scholars just agree that God has the ability to actualize broadly logical states of affairs.
WxGeo
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:07:12 PM
At 4/19/2012 7:02:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Me thinks it's you.

Of course it's logically possible. Me thinks you have a bad concept of what logical possibility is. Many things are logically possible.
WxGeo
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:07:43 PM

You'll never get the answer you are looking for because the question is designed to neglect the true nature of God; it is a false dilema.

God is limited only by his perfection. He cannot sin, he cannot be trivial, and he cannot stop being God. (creating a rock to large for him to lift is utterly pointless and would violate his benevolent nature). God can only be righteous and benevolent.

This all comes down to language and our inability to describe things outside of our world. We can comprehend bits and pieces - but cannot fully grasp the entire concept.

In the paradox context - God is not omnipotent.

In the context of perfection - God is omnipotent.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:13:23 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:55:47 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:

Your question presupposes that no amputee has ever had his limb regrown.

Indeed. It is an example of a logically possible/physically impossible thing which hasn't happened. It's just one example though.
:
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:15:21 PM

Me thinks it's you.

Just ask yourself:

Why would an omnipotent God who created space-time and all its contents not be able to command them at will?
WxGeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:15:29 PM
At 4/19/2012 7:07:43 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

You'll never get the answer you are looking for because the question is designed to neglect the true nature of God; it is a false dilema.

God is limited only by his perfection. He cannot sin, he cannot be trivial, and he cannot stop being God. (creating a rock to large for him to lift is utterly pointless and would violate his benevolent nature). God can only be righteous and benevolent.

This all comes down to language and our inability to describe things outside of our world. We can comprehend bits and pieces - but cannot fully grasp the entire concept.

In the paradox context - God is not omnipotent.

In the context of perfection - God is omnipotent.

This is getting there but to make it more statable, ("perfection" is not easily understood), God is maximally great in every possible world.
WxGeo
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:19:09 PM
At 4/19/2012 7:07:12 PM, WxGeo wrote:

Me thinks it's you.

Of course it's logically possible. Me thinks you have a bad concept of what logical possibility is. Many things are logically possible.

I think your concept of logical possibility is warped by your religious beliefs.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:20:29 PM
At 4/19/2012 7:15:21 PM, SovereignDream wrote:

Me thinks it's you.

Just ask yourself:

Why would an omnipotent God who created space-time and all its contents not be able to command them at will?

Just ask yourself:
Why would an omnipotent God create such a crappy planet for his favourite creation to exist on?

Muh threads