Total Posts:116|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A Question for Theists

ianspigler
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."
thisisnottom
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:58:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ooooh! Interesting question. I don't have an answer though because god's not real :D
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:13:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here's another question for theists:

Why has no amputee in the history of humans ever experienced a miracle which cured them of their affliction?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:23:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:13:25 PM, Oryus wrote:
Here's another question for theists:

Why has no amputee in the history of humans ever experienced a miracle which cured them of their affliction?

"A starfish's body automatically knows that it should have a certain number of rays, and if one is missing, a new ray will start to grow right where the old one was. A few starfish can even grow entirely new bodies from just a single limb." - http://www.whyzz.com...

The answer to your question is simple my friend, God likes starfish better.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:27:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

God is omnipotent in the sense that he can go anything that is possible within the limits of the Universe. God can create the universe and life, but he cannot make a d!ck so big he cannot suck it.

This argument is clever, but it's been refuted.
http://www.debate.org...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:30:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:27:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

God is omnipotent in the sense that he can go anything that is possible within the limits of the Universe. God can create the universe and life, but he cannot make a d!ck so big he cannot suck it.

This argument is clever, but it's been refuted.
http://www.debate.org...

What about miracles?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:30:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:23:55 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:13:25 PM, Oryus wrote:
Here's another question for theists:

Why has no amputee in the history of humans ever experienced a miracle which cured them of their affliction?

"A starfish's body automatically knows that it should have a certain number of rays, and if one is missing, a new ray will start to grow right where the old one was. A few starfish can even grow entirely new bodies from just a single limb." - http://www.whyzz.com...

The answer to your question is simple my friend, God likes starfish better.

hahahaha >.< he certainly does, doesn't he?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:41:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:30:13 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:27:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

God is omnipotent in the sense that he can go anything that is possible within the limits of the Universe. God can create the universe and life, but he cannot make a d!ck so big he cannot suck it.

This argument is clever, but it's been refuted.
http://www.debate.org...

What about miracles?

Don't ask me, I think it's all bullshyt; just giving you the typical Theist response to this particular paradox.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:42:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

The question is meaningless because it's logically incoherent. It's like saying that unless God make a round square, he can't be omnipotent. These paradox's are all the rage today, but they're old arguments against a false conception of God.
WxGeo
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:49:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

P1a: According to most religious scholars, the Omnipotence paradox has been refuted with the maximally omnipotent versus logically omnipotent response.
P1b: It then follows that the God worshipped by such people is only logically omnipotent, not maximally omnipotent.
P2: It is logically impossible for Jesus to walk on water, multiply loaves and fishes, turn water into wine, heal the sick by spitting on them, rise from the dead and lead a zombie army around for 30 days.
Ca: Jesus couldn't perform any miracles.
Cb: The Bible reports that Jesus performed some of the above miracles.
Cc: The Bible is false.

I'm probably missing some critical point here which refutes my whole argument.
Interested to see what it is.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:50:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

The conclusion doesn't follow, suppose God creates a self-sustaining universe and never interacts with it.

I don't believe that, but just if I grant the truth of all your premises, the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow.

But now suppose God had sufficient reason for allowing amputees to remain as they are. The trouble with negating this is you immediately, and falsely, place yourself in elevated epistemic position (eP). Such a burden can't be carried.
WxGeo
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:49:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

P1a: According to most religious scholars, the Omnipotence paradox has been refuted with the maximally omnipotent versus logically omnipotent response.
P1b: It then follows that the God worshipped by such people is only logically omnipotent, not maximally omnipotent.
P2: It is logically impossible for Jesus to walk on water, multiply loaves and fishes, turn water into wine, heal the sick by spitting on them, rise from the dead and lead a zombie army around for 30 days.
Ca: Jesus couldn't perform any miracles.
Cb: The Bible reports that Jesus performed some of the above miracles.
Cc: The Bible is false.

I'm probably missing some critical point here which refutes my whole argument.
Interested to see what it is.

Your're right, the premises are false. It's not that Jesus's walking on water is logically false, rather it's 'physically' false. There seems to be no logical incoherence with someone breaking physical regularities and walking upon water.

You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.
WxGeo
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:53:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:49:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

P1a: According to most religious scholars, the Omnipotence paradox has been refuted with the maximally omnipotent versus logically omnipotent response.
P1b: It then follows that the God worshipped by such people is only logically omnipotent, not maximally omnipotent.
P2: It is logically impossible for Jesus to walk on water, multiply loaves and fishes, turn water into wine, heal the sick by spitting on them, rise from the dead and lead a zombie army around for 30 days.
Ca: Jesus couldn't perform any miracles.
Cb: The Bible reports that Jesus performed some of the above miracles.
Cc: The Bible is false.

I'm probably missing some critical point here which refutes my whole argument.
Interested to see what it is.

yeah. Pretty much. Either miracles are not supernatural or miracles never happened. That's what you have to accept to accept that god is only omnipotent within the range of what is possible in the universe.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:55:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

I've heard people say, "Yes, God could make a rock so big that he couldn't lift it. And then proceed to lift it"
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:55:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:13:25 PM, Oryus wrote:
Here's another question for theists:

Why has no amputee in the history of humans ever experienced a miracle which cured them of their affliction?

Your question presupposes that no amputee has ever had his limb regrown.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:57:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM, WxGeo wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:49:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

P1a: According to most religious scholars, the Omnipotence paradox has been refuted with the maximally omnipotent versus logically omnipotent response.
P1b: It then follows that the God worshipped by such people is only logically omnipotent, not maximally omnipotent.
P2: It is logically impossible for Jesus to walk on water, multiply loaves and fishes, turn water into wine, heal the sick by spitting on them, rise from the dead and lead a zombie army around for 30 days.
Ca: Jesus couldn't perform any miracles.
Cb: The Bible reports that Jesus performed some of the above miracles.
Cc: The Bible is false.

I'm probably missing some critical point here which refutes my whole argument.
Interested to see what it is.

Your're right, the premises are false. It's not that Jesus's walking on water is logically false, rather it's 'physically' false. There seems to be no logical incoherence with someone breaking physical regularities and walking upon water.

You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.

This.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:59:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:50:06 PM, WxGeo wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

The conclusion doesn't follow, suppose God creates a self-sustaining universe and never interacts with it.

I don't believe that, but just if I grant the truth of all your premises, the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow.

But now suppose God had sufficient reason for allowing amputees to remain as they are. The trouble with negating this is you immediately, and falsely, place yourself in elevated epistemic position (eP). Such a burden can't be carried.

Hehe, I agree. I wrote that in a very sarcastic and facetious manner.
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:01:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:53:36 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:49:02 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

P1a: According to most religious scholars, the Omnipotence paradox has been refuted with the maximally omnipotent versus logically omnipotent response.
P1b: It then follows that the God worshipped by such people is only logically omnipotent, not maximally omnipotent.
P2: It is logically impossible for Jesus to walk on water, multiply loaves and fishes, turn water into wine, heal the sick by spitting on them, rise from the dead and lead a zombie army around for 30 days.
Ca: Jesus couldn't perform any miracles.
Cb: The Bible reports that Jesus performed some of the above miracles.
Cc: The Bible is false.

I'm probably missing some critical point here which refutes my whole argument.
Interested to see what it is.

yeah. Pretty much. Either miracles are not supernatural or miracles never happened. That's what you have to accept to accept that god is only omnipotent within the range of what is possible in the universe.

This dilemma is false, suppose miracles are supernatural.
WxGeo
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:01:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

Though I think the question has already been answered, I'll answer it simply:

Omnipotence is being defined as doing anything logically possible. Therefore no, he can't create a rock so big he couldn't lift it, but that's because that'd be logically impossible. If you re-word the argument it supports the idea that God is omnipotent in that:

"God can not create a rock so big he can't lift it"

becomes

"There is no rock God can not lift"

Therefore answering "no" supports the idea that God is omnipotent.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:02:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM, WxGeo wrote:
You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.

Ahhhh, so the supernatural is logical possible.
Which of us is making the outrageous claim?
Me thinks it's you.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:02:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:59:39 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:50:06 PM, WxGeo wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:37:01 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
So, a recap:

1. God apparently hasn't healed any amputees yet

2. God hasn't ever committed the logically impossible (create a stone so large He cannot pick it up)

3. Miracles

4. Starfish

C. Therefore, God does not exist.

The conclusion doesn't follow, suppose God creates a self-sustaining universe and never interacts with it.

I don't believe that, but just if I grant the truth of all your premises, the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow.

But now suppose God had sufficient reason for allowing amputees to remain as they are. The trouble with negating this is you immediately, and falsely, place yourself in elevated epistemic position (eP). Such a burden can't be carried.


Hehe, I agree. I wrote that in a very sarcastic and facetious manner.

That's good for you, but not your case.
WxGeo
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:05:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 7:01:48 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."

Though I think the question has already been answered, I'll answer it simply:

Omnipotence is being defined as doing anything logically possible. Therefore no, he can't create a rock so big he couldn't lift it, but that's because that'd be logically impossible. If you re-word the argument it supports the idea that God is omnipotent in that:

"God can not create a rock so big he can't lift it"

becomes

"There is no rock God can not lift"

Therefore answering "no" supports the idea that God is omnipotent.

God's omnipotence has always had trouble being defined. Rather Scholars just agree that God has the ability to actualize broadly logical states of affairs.
WxGeo
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:07:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 7:02:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM, WxGeo wrote:
You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.

Ahhhh, so the supernatural is logical possible.
Which of us is making the outrageous claim?
Me thinks it's you.

Of course it's logically possible. Me thinks you have a bad concept of what logical possibility is. Many things are logically possible.
WxGeo
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:07:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."


You'll never get the answer you are looking for because the question is designed to neglect the true nature of God; it is a false dilema.

God is limited only by his perfection. He cannot sin, he cannot be trivial, and he cannot stop being God. (creating a rock to large for him to lift is utterly pointless and would violate his benevolent nature). God can only be righteous and benevolent.

This all comes down to language and our inability to describe things outside of our world. We can comprehend bits and pieces - but cannot fully grasp the entire concept.

In the paradox context - God is not omnipotent.

In the context of perfection - God is omnipotent.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:13:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 6:55:47 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:13:25 PM, Oryus wrote:
Here's another question for theists:

Why has no amputee in the history of humans ever experienced a miracle which cured them of their affliction?

Your question presupposes that no amputee has ever had his limb regrown.

Indeed. It is an example of a logically possible/physically impossible thing which hasn't happened. It's just one example though.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:15:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 7:02:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM, WxGeo wrote:
You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.

Ahhhh, so the supernatural is logical possible.
Which of us is making the outrageous claim?
Me thinks it's you.

Just ask yourself:

Why would an omnipotent God who created space-time and all its contents not be able to command them at will?
WxGeo
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:15:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 7:07:43 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/19/2012 5:57:34 PM, ianspigler wrote:
This question is for anyone that believes in a God: Can God make a rock so large that he can't move it? Be careful how you answer, if you say he can make the rock (and thus acknowledge he can't move it) You say he can't do anything he wants.(For if he wanted to move it but can't because it's too big for him he obviously isn't all-powerful) If you say no he can't make the rock then you claim God can't do anyting (for he should be able to make whatever he wants). Give me a good answer and not: "Well, God can do whatever he wants."


You'll never get the answer you are looking for because the question is designed to neglect the true nature of God; it is a false dilema.

God is limited only by his perfection. He cannot sin, he cannot be trivial, and he cannot stop being God. (creating a rock to large for him to lift is utterly pointless and would violate his benevolent nature). God can only be righteous and benevolent.

This all comes down to language and our inability to describe things outside of our world. We can comprehend bits and pieces - but cannot fully grasp the entire concept.

In the paradox context - God is not omnipotent.

In the context of perfection - God is omnipotent.

This is getting there but to make it more statable, ("perfection" is not easily understood), God is maximally great in every possible world.
WxGeo
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:19:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 7:07:12 PM, WxGeo wrote:
At 4/19/2012 7:02:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM, WxGeo wrote:
You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.

Ahhhh, so the supernatural is logical possible.
Which of us is making the outrageous claim?
Me thinks it's you.

Of course it's logically possible. Me thinks you have a bad concept of what logical possibility is. Many things are logically possible.

I think your concept of logical possibility is warped by your religious beliefs.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:20:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 7:15:21 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 4/19/2012 7:02:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 4/19/2012 6:53:27 PM, WxGeo wrote:
You elevate natural law to logical law. This is false.

Ahhhh, so the supernatural is logical possible.
Which of us is making the outrageous claim?
Me thinks it's you.

Just ask yourself:

Why would an omnipotent God who created space-time and all its contents not be able to command them at will?

Just ask yourself:
Why would an omnipotent God create such a crappy planet for his favourite creation to exist on?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...