Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Muhammad split the Moon?

KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,754
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:42:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.

Response: Why do you need to see such a passgae? What's the purpose?
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:51:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:42:22 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.

Response: Why do you need to see such a passgae? What's the purpose?
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:52:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.

Splitting of moon is not mentioned in Quran. It is not an article of faith for Muslims.

It is mentioned in several Ahadith. Check it out.
http://www.searchtruth.com...

http://www.searchtruth.com...

I am not sure whether the moon actually split, or it appeared to split. If it really did split in two parts, there should be some scientific evidence. Some people have claimed some evidence, however personally I am not comfortable with it.

The splitting of moon is related to an interesting piece of history in India. King Cheraman of Malabar, observed the moon splitting. He consulted his priests who told him about Prophet Muhammad (Piece on Him). He appointed his son to the throne and set out for Makkah. He met Prophet Muhammad (Peace on Him), accepted Islam and started back for India. However he died while coming back. Some companions of the prophet who were coming back with him came to Malabar and spread the message of Islam. Thus India became the first place outside Arab where people accepted Islam. Cheraman mosque which is our oldest mosque is located there.

(South India is also close to Jesus (Peace on Him). St. Thomas came to India to preach Christianity)
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 12:11:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:52:01 AM, baggins wrote:

Splitting of moon is not mentioned in Quran. It is not an article of faith for Muslims.

It is mentioned in several Ahadith. Check it out.
http://www.searchtruth.com...

http://www.searchtruth.com...

I am not sure whether the moon actually split, or it appeared to split. If it really did split in two parts, there should be some scientific evidence. Some people have claimed some evidence, however personally I am not comfortable with it.

The splitting of moon is related to an interesting piece of history in India. King Cheraman of Malabar, observed the moon splitting. He consulted his priests who told him about Prophet Muhammad (Piece on Him). He appointed his son to the throne and set out for Makkah. He met Prophet Muhammad (Peace on Him), accepted Islam and started back for India. However he died while coming back. Some companions of the prophet who were coming back with him came to Malabar and spread the message of Islam. Thus India became the first place outside Arab where people accepted Islam. Cheraman mosque which is our oldest mosque is located there.

(South India is also close to Jesus (Peace on Him). St. Thomas came to India to preach Christianity)

The splitting of the moon is mentioned in the Quran Baggins.

==Surah Al Qamar Chapter 54 Verse 1==
"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder."
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 12:22:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 12:11:25 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:52:01 AM, baggins wrote:

Splitting of moon is not mentioned in Quran. It is not an article of faith for Muslims.

The splitting of the moon is mentioned in the Quran Baggins.

==Surah Al Qamar Chapter 54 Verse 1==
"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder."

My mistake.

On other hand, as far as I can see, this verse is related to the hour of judgement. I will recheck anyway, Insha Allah.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 12:33:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 12:22:51 PM, baggins wrote:
At 4/21/2012 12:11:25 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:52:01 AM, baggins wrote:

Splitting of moon is not mentioned in Quran. It is not an article of faith for Muslims.

The splitting of the moon is mentioned in the Quran Baggins.

==Surah Al Qamar Chapter 54 Verse 1==
"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder."

My mistake.

On other hand, as far as I can see, this verse is related to the hour of judgement. I will recheck anyway, Insha Allah.

I'm pretty sure that the context is about Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)

==Surah Al Qamar Chapter 54 Verses 1-6==

"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder.
But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, "This is (but) transient magic."
They reject (the warning) and follow their (own) lusts but every matter has its appointed time.
There have already come to them Recitals wherein there is (enough) to check (them).
Mature wisdom;- but (the preaching of) Warners profits them not.
Therefore, (O Prophet,) turn away from them. The Day that the Caller will call (them) to a terrible affair."

I'm pretty sure that this is when Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) split the moon to try to show a sign to the Quraysh that he is a true prophet but they still rejected him. If you still think I'm wrong (which I might be) explain why.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 2:54:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There are many interpretations of this verse. The first thing to have in mind is that the Quran is rhythmic and poetic, which can make a lot of non-command verses not mean what they actually say, and thus require deep analysis.

It could be that the Prophet made it appear to the Quraysh as if the moon split, which means that whether it actually did or not doesn't mean anything, because the miracle was for a particular people, not for all of humankind. Or, we can read the verse as exclusively describing the Day of Judgement, since it clearly mentions the close approach of that day. Consider this verse:

[Quran 75:10] He questions: "When is the Day of Resurrection?" At length, when the sight is dazed and the moon is buried in darkness, and the sun and moon are joined together that Day will Man say; "Where is the refuge?"

It's most likely that the verse speaks of the Day of Judgement.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 2:55:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 2:54:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
[Quran 75:6-10] He questions: "When is the Day of Resurrection?" At length, when the sight is dazed and the moon is buried in darkness, and the sun and moon are joined together that Day will Man say; "Where is the refuge?"
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 5:18:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Like a bawse?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 6:26:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 12:33:46 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/21/2012 12:22:51 PM, baggins wrote:
At 4/21/2012 12:11:25 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:52:01 AM, baggins wrote:

Splitting of moon is not mentioned in Quran. It is not an article of faith for Muslims.

The splitting of the moon is mentioned in the Quran Baggins.

==Surah Al Qamar Chapter 54 Verse 1==
"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder."

My mistake.

On other hand, as far as I can see, this verse is related to the hour of judgement. I will recheck anyway, Insha Allah.

I'm pretty sure that the context is about Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)

==Surah Al Qamar Chapter 54 Verses 1-6==

"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder.
But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, "This is (but) transient magic."
They reject (the warning) and follow their (own) lusts but every matter has its appointed time.
There have already come to them Recitals wherein there is (enough) to check (them).
Mature wisdom;- but (the preaching of) Warners profits them not.
Therefore, (O Prophet,) turn away from them. The Day that the Caller will call (them) to a terrible affair."

I'm pretty sure that this is when Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) split the moon to try to show a sign to the Quraysh that he is a true prophet but they still rejected him. If you still think I'm wrong (which I might be) explain why.

I think you are correct and the verse does refer to splitting of moon at time of Prophet Muhammad (Peace on Him).

Actually the verse can be (and has been) interpreted both ways. It can refer to splitting of moon which has happened. Or it can refer to a very certain event of splitting of moon in future. However, based on the context, the first interpretation appears to be more suitable. If we choose the latter meaning, the first verse stands apart from the message of rest of the verses. (If we read the verses a few times, this will be clear).

It should be mentioned that several scholars disagree with the first interpretation, even though it looks quite strong to me now.

An interesting aspect is, if we accept the first meaning, then splitting of moon must have been a fact and not an appearance, as I earlier mentioned. This is clear from the language of Quran.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 6:34:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 2:54:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
There are many interpretations of this verse. The first thing to have in mind is that the Quran is rhythmic and poetic, which can make a lot of non-command verses not mean what they actually say, and thus require deep analysis.

It could be that the Prophet made it appear to the Quraysh as if the moon split, which means that whether it actually did or not doesn't mean anything, because the miracle was for a particular people, not for all of humankind...

This is partially true. The real miracle of Islam lies in it's message and not 'supernatural signs'. On other had different people have different approach to faith. It is possible that this will be better evidence for some people.

...Or, we can read the verse as exclusively describing the Day of Judgement, since it clearly mentions the close approach of that day. Consider this verse:

[Quran 75:10] He questions: "When is the Day of Resurrection?" At length, when the sight is dazed and the moon is buried in darkness, and the sun and moon are joined together that Day will Man say; "Where is the refuge?"

It's most likely that the verse speaks of the Day of Judgement.

It is obvious that Quran 75:10 is talking about the day of judgement. However, I don't see any link between this verse and 54:1.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 6:37:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.

Our apologies for being unable to give you a single answer. However it is possible that we have done a bit of research for you.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,754
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 7:59:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:51:20 AM, Rusty wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:42:22 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.

Response: Why do you need to see such a passgae? What's the purpose?

Response: That's not an explanation of the purpose. It simply states why the person wants the information and not how it will be used for their reply.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:30:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:42:22 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.

Response: Why do you need to see such a passgae? What's the purpose?

The purpose is as I stated. It came up in a debate. I need to research it so I don't misrepresent the Muslims when I talk about Muhammad splitting the Moon. Essentially, I need to see it in context so I can see how reliable the account is.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 10:35:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 2:54:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
There are many interpretations of this verse. The first thing to have in mind is that the Quran is rhythmic and poetic, which can make a lot of non-command verses not mean what they actually say, and thus require deep analysis.

It could be that the Prophet made it appear to the Quraysh as if the moon split, which means that whether it actually did or not doesn't mean anything, because the miracle was for a particular people, not for all of humankind. Or, we can read the verse as exclusively describing the Day of Judgement, since it clearly mentions the close approach of that day. Consider this verse:

[Quran 75:10] He questions: "When is the Day of Resurrection?" At length, when the sight is dazed and the moon is buried in darkness, and the sun and moon are joined together that Day will Man say; "Where is the refuge?"

It's most likely that the verse speaks of the Day of Judgement.

This was actually going to be my next verse, as to interpretation. It doesn't say that Muhammad actually split the Moon. So couldn't this be interpreted as poetic, as a metaphor?
Fatihah
Posts: 7,754
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:01:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 7:59:22 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:51:20 AM, Rusty wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:42:22 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:12:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
This is a question for all the Muslims. Please be mature. No haters. This is an honest question.

This has come up in a debate so I need to research this before I reply. Can any Muslims here point me to the relevant passage in the Qu'ran in which Muhammad is said to have split the Moon?

Thanks.

Response: Why do you need to see such a passgae? What's the purpose?

Response: That's not an explanation of the purpose. It simply states why the person wants the information and not how it will be used for their reply.

Response: Fair enough. I was more interested in your motives and intent, which is why I asked. For I don't like to provide islamic cources if they are going to be used for one's own propaganda. So the purpose ws necessary, and it appears that other muslims have already provided you with an answer anyway.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:08:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's not simply a metaphor or poetic. There are a couple of sayings in the hadith which say Muhammad split the moon for the Quraysh and it says so in the Quran in context. At the very least Mirza or anyone else who wants a different interpretation and is somewhat skeptical must say something like it appeared to the Quraysh only etc etc. As a muslim one cannot deny it altogether and call it metaphorical or poetic (meaning it didn't happen). They cannot.

I believe it actually happened (unless someone can show unanimously in the Quran or hadith otherwise). Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) with a gesture of his hand literally split the physical moon in half momentarily in the middle of the night possibly during an eclipse. I think there was an indian king who witnessed it so I think that lends some historical credence to it. However, I haven't looked this up so it might be weak evidence.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:13:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:01:38 PM, Fatihah wrote:
Response: Fair enough. I was more interested in your motives and intent, which is why I asked. For I don't like to provide islamic cources if they are going to be used for one's own propaganda. So the purpose ws necessary, and it appears that other muslims have already provided you with an answer anyway.

You shouldn't be so skeptical. Even if you think his intent is bad, you should always give him the proper Islamic information.

For example someone asks you does Islam cut off one's hand if they steal. You simply say yes. That is the truth. Similarly if he asks do muslims believe Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) split the moon. We say yes.

We answer with the truth (which is just and right) without an ounce of shame or paranoia.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:13:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I believe it actually happened (unless someone can show unanimously in the Quran or hadith otherwise). Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) with a gesture of his hand literally split the physical moon in half momentarily in the middle of the night possibly during an eclipse. I think there was an indian king who witnessed it so I think that lends some historical credence to it. However, I haven't looked this up so it might be weak evidence.

There's something a little funny, but also very scary about this view.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:16:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:13:06 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

There's something a little funny, but also very scary about this view.

Can you maybe expand on this?
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:22:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:16:30 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:13:06 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

There's something a little funny, but also very scary about this view.

Can you maybe expand on this?

You've obviously bought so far into the ideology that you're willing to believe anything, however unlikely, if it's in the text. God forbid someone interpret the text in a way that promotes killing infidels. You'd be on the front lines.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:30:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:22:48 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
You've obviously bought so far into the ideology that you're willing to believe anything, however unlikely, if it's in the text. God forbid someone interpret the text in a way that promotes killing infidels. You'd be on the front lines.

How is this unlikely? If the proposition of Muhammad (peace and blessings and be upon him) being a prophet is not unlikely (which is actually very likely), how is a miracle being attributed to him anything but likely? It should be expected. The message which Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) was brought is full of miracles and precisions which could not have been attributed to him or any of the people during his time. It is actually unlikely to believe Muhammad message (Quran) was simply a book that could have been written by anyone. See my debate in progress, what do you think of my arguments?
http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:38:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just say Ahmed, if your argument that not anyone could have written that book makes him an automatic prophet, then there are MANY prophets in this world, some claiming far more power and stuff like that than Mohammed.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2012 11:42:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:38:38 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Just say Ahmed, if your argument that not anyone could have written that book makes him an automatic prophet, then there are MANY prophets in this world, some claiming far more power and stuff like that than Mohammed.

Explain the books. If a book surpasses all the intelligence, capabilities and knowledge of everyone in various fields then where did that book come from is the question that is begged.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,754
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 12:32:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/21/2012 11:13:04 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/21/2012 11:01:38 PM, Fatihah wrote:
Response: Fair enough. I was more interested in your motives and intent, which is why I asked. For I don't like to provide islamic cources if they are going to be used for one's own propaganda. So the purpose ws necessary, and it appears that other muslims have already provided you with an answer anyway.

You shouldn't be so skeptical. Even if you think his intent is bad, you should always give him the proper Islamic information.

For example someone asks you does Islam cut off one's hand if they steal. You simply say yes. That is the truth. Similarly if he asks do muslims believe Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) split the moon. We say yes.

We answer with the truth (which is just and right) without an ounce of shame or paranoia.

Response: There's not a single hadith from the sunnah or a verse from the Qur'an that says that a muslim is obligated or is condoned to give dawah according to Ahmed M., nor any that states that a muslim should not be skeptical, thus your point is pointless and has no merit. Furthermore, the question concerning the splitting of the moon was not as to whether it was true or not, but where exactly it was stated in islamic sources, thus making your whole point as to whether one should reply and not be skeptical more feeble. Simply put, your own inabilty to support anything from the qur'an or sunnah itself to support your claim refutes you.

We give dawah according to one's intent and the sunnah, not to serve the ego of another muslim.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 1:10:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ahmed, You didn't understand my post. I said it could be that the miracle only appeared to the Quraysh.

If this event happened in a true sense, i.e., that the moon actually split and appeared to everyone, then witnesses would probably not be too many. If the event took place 2-3 hours before midnight in Saudi Arabian time, then it would be somewhat lighted-up in the West, and dark in the East, which means that (a) the moon was not very noticeable in the West, and (b) people were asleep in the East (or it was dawn), not noticing any changes to the moon.

Nonetheless, there's nothing which suggests that the splitting wasn't merely an illusion made for the people of Quraysh, so that only they could see the miracle.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 9:46:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 1:10:50 AM, Mirza wrote:
Nonetheless, there's nothing which suggests that the splitting wasn't merely an illusion made for the people of Quraysh, so that only they could see the miracle.

I agree with you. I was just saying that a muslim cannot deny it altogether and say it is a simile or metaphor etc. I'm sorry if I made it seem that I said that the only interpretation is a full literal account. It's either literal or the appearance only to Quraysh if I'm not mistaken.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2012 10:01:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/22/2012 12:32:14 AM, Fatihah wrote:
Response: There's not a single hadith from the sunnah or a verse from the Qur'an that says that a muslim is obligated or is condoned to give dawah according to Ahmed M., nor any that states that a muslim should not be skeptical, thus your point is pointless and has no merit. Furthermore, the question concerning the splitting of the moon was not as to whether it was true or not, but where exactly it was stated in islamic sources, thus making your whole point as to whether one should reply and not be skeptical more feeble. Simply put, your own inabilty to support anything from the qur'an or sunnah itself to support your claim refutes you.

We give dawah according to one's intent and the sunnah, not to serve the ego of another muslim.

I didn't mean to be hostile when I responded to you. If it looked like I was putting you down or anything, I apologize. I was just trying to give you some advice. We are both muslims, we should be supporting each other and trying to make one another a better person. That is all I was trying to do.

I'm pretty sure that a muslim is condoned to give Dawah if there aren't many others doing it (correct me if I'm wrong). There is a verse in the Quran.

==Surah An Nahl Chapter 16 Verse 125==
"Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance."