Jump to topic:

Convince me

Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 10:34:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am An Atheist and i like the idea of god and would love to believe it but i don't. so sell me. please.
Slimy yet satisfying"
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 10:42:50 AM
At 4/24/2012 10:34:03 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
I am An Atheist and i like the idea of god and would love to believe it but i don't. so sell me. please.

What would it take to convince you that a God does exist?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 10:53:38 AM

I can't sell faulty products. You aren't labelled an atheist, you believe in atheism, you are a human being, not an atheist in that sense. To believe in something requires a measure of faith, sometimes it is reasonable faith and other times it is irrational faith. By saying I would love to believe in God, but just can't is implying that a belief does not carry a measure of faith, but instead a inability or a disability. I would love to be able to run for my country, but I am enable to carry the task out.

Right now, you believe in atheism because you like it more that theism, it is just that your type of atheism can tolerate your desire to want to believe. A circle with a circle, atheism in your case being the outer, more dominating circle.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 10:54:34 AM
At 4/24/2012 10:51:16 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
well if i knew that i wouldn't be here would I?

How could you expect us to convince you if you don't even know what evidence would convince you?
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 11:03:04 AM
I certainly don't like that we are simply animals destined to an eternity unconscious non-existence after death. that sucks. I would love to be able to feel the love an reach of an omnipotent being greater than myself, that will walk with me in eternal bliss. I like that a lot better than what I believe... but I can't believe something just because I like it so, I would like to be convinced.
Slimy yet satisfying"
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 11:08:01 AM

There are no proofs that exist. You believe whatever you decide to condition yourself to believe. If you want to believe in the powers of theistic religions, you have to put effort into it. It is not something that can be learned through reading a convincing passage. You must pray to a decidedly theistic being everyday, and after a while you will begin to see the direct correlation between your prayers and what is actually manifesting in your life. After this connection is made - attribute it to your theistic being, and then using conditioning, make connections between the being and all other aspects of life and begin to attribute everything you experience to the being. It starts out as an experiment, but if you force it for long enough and put real effort into it you will begin to see 'the light'. Simple. It doesn't mean it's true or not, so don't get lost in that kind of thinking, the important part is that the experiences of a divine source CAN happen.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 11:17:19 AM
At 4/24/2012 11:15:00 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
well i don't know about this whole "Effort" thing...

A very convincing argument - "you don't know about the 'thing'"
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 11:25:40 AM
At 4/24/2012 11:22:00 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
apparently sarcasm is not a language in which you are fluent haha.

My bad. I've explained in another thread how to realize the reality of any religious idea. It is absolutely factual that one cannot instantly believe something.
- - - Watts
- - - Watts