Jump to topic:

reincarnation

Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:49:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well I've been reading up on this Ian Stevenson fellow. A biochemist for the university of Virginia. so he went around India, Africa, south America and other places investigating the correlation between young children claiming to have memories that aren't theres and local records of deaths and similar. his strongest evidence was children who had bizarre birthmarks that matched or were strikingly similar to the post mortem wounds of the deceased they claim to be. Dr. Stevenson used proper scientific process to determine the odds of actual reincarnation occurring.
I just thought that this was some interesting brain food worth looking into... thoughts?
Slimy yet satisfying"
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 9:54:52 AM
Yeah, the only relevant correlation is the fact that incidence of stories of reincarnation correlates with the prominance of reincarnation as an excepted phenomenon within that local community.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:00:35 AM
At 4/26/2012 9:49:45 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
Dr. Stevenson used proper scientific process to determine the odds of actual reincarnation occurring.

Uh huh.
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:04:13 AM
At 4/26/2012 10:00:35 AM, wiploc wrote:
At 4/26/2012 9:49:45 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
Dr. Stevenson used proper scientific process to determine the odds of actual reincarnation occurring.

Uh huh.

if that is sarcasm its misplaced he really did, if there was a serious chance that the interview was botch he would discredit it.
Slimy yet satisfying"
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:06:40 AM
Ok. I'll bite. What are the actual odds of reincarnation occurring?

You know what, you don't even have to provide that. I'll settle for the prior probability of reincarnation occurring.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:08:58 AM
his strongest evidence was children who had bizarre birthmarks that matched or were strikingly similar to the post mortem wounds of the deceased they claim to be. Dr. Stevenson used proper scientific process to determine the odds of actual reincarnation occurring.:

If the evidence (which happens to be anecdotal) was so strong, there would be near universal scientific consensus, and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now because it would be so self-evident.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:15:39 AM
Here this should explain some things
Disclaimer: i do not necesarily beleive these findings just find them interesting.
Slimy yet satisfying"
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:27:51 AM
At 4/26/2012 10:15:39 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:

Here this should explain some things
Disclaimer: i do not necesarily beleive these findings just find them interesting.

15 minutes.

Is there even an answer to my quesiton in this video?
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:38:06 AM
IDK I didn't watch the whole thing who's got time for that crap lol...but seriously I remember reading something about his percentile but I think it was like 61% of the kids weren't full of BS but I'm not sure at all I read it over a year ago and I'm having trouble finding it so I'm opting for my guess in favor of a speedy response.
Slimy yet satisfying"
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 10:40:10 AM
At 4/26/2012 10:08:58 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
his strongest evidence was children who had bizarre birthmarks that matched or were strikingly similar to the post mortem wounds of the deceased they claim to be. Dr. Stevenson used proper scientific process to determine the odds of actual reincarnation occurring.:

If the evidence (which happens to be anecdotal) was so strong, there would be near universal scientific consensus, and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now because it would be so self-evident.

everyone ridiculed an laughed at Copernicus then after he died it turns out he was right. how often do scientists unanimously agree...NEVER.
Slimy yet satisfying"
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 11:56:40 AM
At 4/26/2012 10:40:10 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
At 4/26/2012 10:08:58 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

everyone ridiculed an laughed at Copernicus then after he died it turns out he was right. how often do scientists unanimously agree...NEVER.

Shall I point out that the only people to ridicule Copernicus was the puritans, and even then, only a few, and he was hailed as the greatest astronomer in his time?

Also, scientists do not unanimously agree because they are HUMANS. Find me any topic where everyone unanimously agrees on an idea, and I will find someone to whom it would surprise.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:37:07 AM
you can choose to interpret it as you wish.

btw- are you sure that Copernicus was revered I really feel like he wasn't acknowledged until after his death but don't know for sure.
Slimy yet satisfying"