Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

One reason a person might be an atheist...

Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:00:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

nope. Not an appropriate conclusion.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:22:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Of course atheists tend to be more intelligent. The VAST majority of the world is heavily religious, atheists almost always were told to believe a certain religion that they thought about and left. Virtually all atheists are among the population that thinks about and questions their beliefs. This does not, however, mean that a rational mind does not accept theism.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:23:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:22:36 PM, thett3 wrote:
Of course atheists tend to be more intelligent. The VAST majority of the world is heavily religious, atheists almost always were told to believe a certain religion that they thought about and left. Virtually all atheists are among the population that thinks about and questions their beliefs. This does not, however, mean that a rational mind cannot accept theism.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:39:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.

Oh, I thought you were a Christian.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:50:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:00:39 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

nope. Not an appropriate conclusion.

LOL; nice
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 6:58:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:39:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.

Oh, I thought you were a Christian.


Lol, no you thought i was you 'idea' of a christian.

I recognize Christ as my savior because i was given faith in him.

i have faith in him because i am unable to live a righteous life.

get it str8 bustah!
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 7:08:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:50:16 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:39 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

nope. Not an appropriate conclusion.

LOL; nice
Oh, never mind. I thought you said, "nope. But an appropriate conclusion.". Jokes on me :)
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 7:33:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 7:08:54 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:50:16 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:39 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

nope. Not an appropriate conclusion.

LOL; nice
Oh, never mind. I thought you said, "nope. But an appropriate conclusion.". Jokes on me :)

hahah! awesome.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 7:41:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 7:08:54 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:50:16 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:39 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

nope. Not an appropriate conclusion.

LOL; nice
Oh, never mind. I thought you said, "nope. But an appropriate conclusion.". Jokes on me :)

You have no idea...lol
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 7:55:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:58:08 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:39:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.

Oh, I thought you were a Christian.


Lol, no you thought i was you 'idea' of a christian.

I recognize Christ as my savior because i was given faith in him.

i have faith in him because i am unable to live a righteous life.

get it str8 bustah!

^ fundy-lingo
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 8:08:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 7:55:07 PM, CrazyPerson wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:58:08 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:39:45 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.

Oh, I thought you were a Christian.


Lol, no you thought i was you 'idea' of a christian.

I recognize Christ as my savior because i was given faith in him.

i have faith in him because i am unable to live a righteous life.

get it str8 bustah!

^ fundy-lingo


^ Cracky lingo
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Tlhedglin
Posts: 119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 9:41:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Are you trolling, or do you seriously believe gullibility is due to a lack of analytical thinking?
Tlhedglin
Posts: 119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2012 9:45:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.

So you neither believe that Jesus(a man that died in bronze age Palestine) is your personal lord and savior, nor that you will go to heaven after you die(have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently)?

Then how ARE you a Christian?
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:50:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 9:45:03 PM, Tlhedglin wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.

So you neither believe that Jesus(a man that died in bronze age Palestine) is your personal lord and savior, nor that you will go to heaven after you die(have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently)?

Then how ARE you a Christian?


No.

I don't believe i have super-natural real estate in heaven after my mortal flesh and i part.

I belive Christ died for my sins - because God gave me that belief.

I believe i need Christ because i am unrighteous.

I deserve Hell, but merely wish to be rid of my evil.

heaven will be awesome, but that is only the place - i long to be in his presence.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Tlhedglin
Posts: 119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:59:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 3:50:56 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
No.

Okay.

I don't believe i have super-natural real estate in heaven after my mortal flesh and i part.

So there is no place in heaven for you, okay.

I belive Christ died for my sins - because God gave me that belief.

So he "saved" you from yourself, no?

I believe i need Christ because i am unrighteous.

To "save" you from yourself?

I deserve Hell, but merely wish to be rid of my evil.

You need Christ to "save" you from your evil nature, no?

heaven will be awesome, but that is only the place - i long to be in his presence.

So you are going to heaven? But one of the first things you said was that you weren't!

Okay, either I am confused or you are, we should get people to vote on which.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:10:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 3:50:56 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 9:45:03 PM, Tlhedglin wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:37:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 6:00:21 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 5:09:18 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...


So in other words, us theists are just gullible a$$holes.

b*tch plz..

Do you believe the claim that you have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently, if you accept that a man who died in bronze age Palestine thousands of years ago is your personal Savoir?


No.

So you neither believe that Jesus(a man that died in bronze age Palestine) is your personal lord and savior, nor that you will go to heaven after you die(have supernatural real estate waiting for you after your vital organs shut down permanently)?

Then how ARE you a Christian?


No.

I don't believe i have super-natural real estate in heaven after my mortal flesh and i part.

I belive Christ died for my sins - because God gave me that belief.

I believe i need Christ because i am unrighteous.

I deserve Hell, but merely wish to be rid of my evil.

heaven will be awesome, but that is only the place - i long to be in his presence.

Read the bolded. Either you intentionally contradicted yourself, or you need to go back to the drawing board...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:23:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

Well then you would certainly realize, Mr. Genius, that your own personal intellectual superiority is only that - personal.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:26:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:23:32 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

Well then you would certainly realize, Mr. Genius, that your own personal intellectual superiority is only that - personal.

Well yes, I understand that. But critical thinking has given me a stronger faith not weaker so I'm saying it can go both ways.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:34:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

So exceptions don't exist is what you are saying? I guess Oskar Schindler puts a huge hole in the theory that the Nazis were evil then according to your logic.

You obviously fail to realize that most religious people have never heard of the Kalam Cosmological Argument or William Lane Craig, and aren't sophisticated theologians.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:35:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:34:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

So exceptions don't exist is what you are saying? I guess Oskar Schindler puts a huge hole in the theory that the Nazis were evil then according to your logic.

You obviously fail to realize that most religious people have never heard of the Kalam Cosmological Argument or William Lane Craig, and aren't sophisticated theologians.


What does that have to do with anything? How does that set me apart from them because I have heard of these things?
airmax1227
Posts: 13,224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:39:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:35:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:34:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

So exceptions don't exist is what you are saying? I guess Oskar Schindler puts a huge hole in the theory that the Nazis were evil then according to your logic.

You obviously fail to realize that most religious people have never heard of the Kalam Cosmological Argument or William Lane Craig, and aren't sophisticated theologians.


What does that have to do with anything? How does that set me apart from them because I have heard of these things?

The point is, that personalizing an argument against a scientific study is not logical. Perhaps you are an exception, but without addressing the study itself, pointing to yourself as a rebuttal is essentially meaningless...
Debate.org Moderator
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:42:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:39:43 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:35:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:34:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

So exceptions don't exist is what you are saying? I guess Oskar Schindler puts a huge hole in the theory that the Nazis were evil then according to your logic.

You obviously fail to realize that most religious people have never heard of the Kalam Cosmological Argument or William Lane Craig, and aren't sophisticated theologians.


What does that have to do with anything? How does that set me apart from them because I have heard of these things?

The point is, that personalizing an argument against a scientific study is not logical. Perhaps you are an exception, but without addressing the study itself, pointing to yourself as a rebuttal is essentially meaningless...

I wasn't trying to refute the study. I started with "I". It was a personal statement from the get-go.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:48:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:42:22 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:39:43 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:35:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:34:19 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it. I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

So exceptions don't exist is what you are saying? I guess Oskar Schindler puts a huge hole in the theory that the Nazis were evil then according to your logic.

You obviously fail to realize that most religious people have never heard of the Kalam Cosmological Argument or William Lane Craig, and aren't sophisticated theologians.


What does that have to do with anything? How does that set me apart from them because I have heard of these things?

The point is, that personalizing an argument against a scientific study is not logical. Perhaps you are an exception, but without addressing the study itself, pointing to yourself as a rebuttal is essentially meaningless...

I wasn't trying to refute the study. I started with "I". It was a personal statement from the get-go.

You actually started with "eh". Dismissing the study because it doesn't apply to you. You also don't buy it because it doesn't apply to you.

I'm simply replying to your question, and didn't actually look at the study. But your basis for not accepting the study isn't a logical one, but an emotional one.
Debate.org Moderator
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:52:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it.

Conclusion: The study lacks reason to believe in it.
Automatic truth: The study suggests that those with better analytic skills are prone to be atheists.

I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

Premise: An individual (namely, yourself) breaks the trend.
Predicated Premise: If an individual is a theist with good analytic skills, there's no reason to believe the study.
(interestingly a necessary axiom): Assuming the predicated premise is true, then If an individual is an atheist with bad analytic skills, then there's no reason to believe the study.

In a syllogism:

If an individual is a theist with good analytic skills, there's no reason to believe the study.
You have good analytic skills and are theistic.
Therefore, there's no reason to believe the study.

If we make the near-certain assumption (that is, the assumption that is near-certainly true, and would be foolish to think otherwise) that the study involved more than one individual, then:

Person, A, B, C, ... X, Y All fit the trend
Person Z does not fit the trend.
Therefore, the trend is inexistent.

Which breaks the rules of the scientific method

I hope (parts of) that made sense.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:54:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/28/2012 4:52:57 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:18:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 4/27/2012 4:03:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
They're more prone to analytical thinking.

http://www.sciencemag.org...

Eh. I don't buy it.

Conclusion: The study lacks reason to believe in it.
Automatic truth: The study suggests that those with better analytic skills are prone to be atheists.

I've scored top marks on every analytic, IQ and critical thinking test I've ever been subject to and I am a strong theist.

Premise: An individual (namely, yourself) breaks the trend.
Predicated Premise: If an individual is a theist with good analytic skills, there's no reason to believe the study.
(interestingly a necessary axiom): Assuming the predicated premise is true, then If an individual is an atheist with bad analytic skills, then there's no reason to believe the study.

In a syllogism:

If an individual is a theist with good analytic skills, there's no reason to believe the study.
You have good analytic skills and are theistic.
Therefore, there's no reason to believe the study.

If we make the near-certain assumption (that is, the assumption that is near-certainly true, and would be foolish to think otherwise) that the study involved more than one individual, then:

Person, A, B, C, ... X, Y All fit the trend
Person Z does not fit the trend.
Therefore, the trend is inexistent.

Which breaks the rules of the scientific method

I hope (parts of) that made sense.

It did make sense.