Jump to topic:

Agnosticism

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:26:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am sick of being classified as an agnostic. I am not Atheist, nor am I any other religion.

People keep calling me an agnostic.

So my question of the day is:

What does it mean to be an agnostic?

"Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown or unknowable."

To me this implies that I must be actively believing that there is no way of knowing that there is either religion, or their isn't. But what if I strictly don't care?
What am I then? People keep teeling me I am still an agnostic.

Agnosticism is a religion in and of itself, that implies people in it must actively believe something. I don't believe in something. So I am not a religous person. Atheists, are religious though, because they actively believe and push for the existence of no god, thus creating a religion opposing religions.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:30:48 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:26:27 PM, TUF wrote:
I am sick of being classified as an agnostic. I am not Atheist, nor am I any other religion.

"Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown or unknowable."

To me this implies that I must be actively believing that there is no way of knowing that there is either religion, or their isn't. But what if I strictly don't care?

Agnosticism is a religion in and of itself, that implies people in it must actively believe something. I don't believe in something. So I am not a religous person. Atheists, are religious though, because they actively believe and push for the existence of no god, thus creating a religion opposing religions.

Agnosticism means you don't know. You should become a muslim, that would clear your doubts.

Embrace Islam because Allah will reward you.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:31:55 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:30:48 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:

Agnosticism means you don't know. You should become a muslim, that would clear your doubts.

You's trollin'?
yang.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:32:08 PM

Atheism is a lack of belief in deities.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:32:51 PM
Anosticism means you don't know. You should become a muslim, that would clear your doubts.

LOL

So your reason to join a religion is that you will be rewarded. LOL, that's just nonsense.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:35:43 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:32:51 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Anosticism means you don't know. You should become a muslim, that would clear your doubts.

LOL

So your reason to join a religion is that you will be rewarded. LOL, that's just nonsense.

Mohammed created Islam as a way to conquer Arabia... that way he could kill all the pagans in the name of his new found religion. And it worked (surprise, surprise).
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:36:54 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:32:08 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Actually no, that just leaves you with agnosticism. You simply don't have a strong belief in God. As TUF said:

"Atheists, are religious though, because they actively believe and push for the existence of no god, thus creating a religion opposing religions."

Atheism means: "God does not exist and believing in that"
Agnosticism means: "I don't know, I don't have strong belief that god exists or that he doesn't exist"
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:46:16 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:35:43 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

LOL

Mohammed created Islam as a way to conquer Arabia... that way he could kill all the pagans in the name of his new found religion. And it worked (surprise, surprise).

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) was after no material wealth, any kind of glory, any of the possesions of this world nothing. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) truly wanted to spread the message of Islam and save the people from the fire of hell.

The pagans offered him most of their money and wanted to make him a king if he would stop preaching. What did Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) do? he rejected their offer and kept spreading Islam and became severly persecuted.

If Muhammad was after power, why didn't he stop here? The reason is because he wasn't after power but was truly sincere.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:48:57 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:37:42 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The definition of Atheism: "the absence of belief that any deities exist"

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Nice taking the one sentence which agrees with you:

"Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4][5] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[6][7] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[7][8]"

atheists have BOP, you are trying to evade it.
Tlhedglin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:49:38 PM

Actually, atheism is simply not believing in any deities. Antitheism is actively opposing theism, so unless you actually have belief in a deity, you ARE an atheist.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:49:57 PM

LOL

How is this nonsense? The greatest reward in the universe is Islam.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 2:55:01 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:49:57 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:

LOL

How is this nonsense? The greatest reward in the universe is Islam.

According to you, yea it is. According to Christians, Christianity is....most religions believe their religious beliefs are superior...
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:02:10 PM

LOL

BTW I have taken a look at your reasons for Christianity on your website. I would say you need much more proof to show Christianity is the true religion but anyways your reasons for rejecting Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) are very weak and as such you should embrace Islam.

Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) was a prophet not God. In your own debate, you seem to believe this.

Why would Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) all of a sudden be preaching one god and coincide with the previous religions?

Why did the way Prophet Muhammad (pabbuh) pray coincide with the way all the old testament prophets prayed?

==Gospel of Matthew Chapter 26 Verse 39==
"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

==Book of 2 Chronicles Chapter 7 Verse 3==
"And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever."

==Book of 1 Chronicles Chapter 29 Verse 20==
"And David said to all the congregation, Now bless the LORD your God. And all the congregation blessed the LORD God of their fathers, and bowed down their heads, and worshipped the LORD, and the king."

==Book of Joshua Chapter 5 Verse 14==
"And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?"

==Book of Daniel Chapter 9 Verse 3==
"And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:"

==Book of Genesis Chapter 24 Verse 48==
"And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the LORD, and blessed the LORD God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter unto his son."

==Book of Isaiah Chapter 45 Verse 23==
"I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear."

All the verses from the King James Bible can be found here: http://kingjamesbible.com...

Where did Prophet Muhammad (pabbuh) get all this religious knowledge from without any arabic translation of the bible until 1600's?

The questions all seem to point to the truth that prophet Muhammad (pabbuh) is the last and final messenger that Christians and Jews should all follow today.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:02:23 PM

Of course that's correct, but Theists always try to make it seem like there is only one definition of Atheism. It's intellectual dishonesty at it's finest if I may say so.
Tlhedglin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:22:53 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:36:54 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/28/2012 2:32:08 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Actually no, that just leaves you with agnosticism. You simply don't have a strong belief in God. As TUF said:

"Atheists, are religious though, because they actively believe and push for the existence of no god, thus creating a religion opposing religions."

Atheism means: "God does not exist and believing in that"
Agnosticism means: "I don't know, I don't have strong belief that god exists or that he doesn't exist"

Nope, theists sure do like to tell everybody else what they believe, though. One would think, however, that after all the problems Islam has faced with mischaracterizations and people redefining their religion to suit their own agenda, Muslims would try not to do it to others.

One day people might just learn from mistakes, oh well, one can dream of a better world...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:24:17 PM
At 4/28/2012 2:48:57 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:

Nice taking the one sentence which agrees with you:

"Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4][5] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[6][7] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[7][8]"

atheists have BOP, you are trying to evade it.

The most general definition is the most fair one.
Tlhedglin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:25:23 PM
At 4/28/2012 3:02:23 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Of course that's correct, but Theists always try to make it seem like there is only one definition of Atheism. It's intellectual dishonesty at it's finest if I may say so.

I think we can drop the "intellectual", after all, there is nothing intelligent about it.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:26:37 PM
At 4/28/2012 3:02:10 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:

LOL

BTW I have taken a look at your reasons for Christianity on your website. I would say you need much more proof to show Christianity is the true religion but anyways your reasons for rejecting Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) are very weak and as such you should embrace Islam.

Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) was a prophet not God. In your own debate, you seem to believe this.

Why would Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) all of a sudden be preaching one god and coincide with the previous religions?

Why did the way Prophet Muhammad (pabbuh) pray coincide with the way all the old testament prophets prayed?

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

"And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever."

"And David said to all the congregation, Now bless the LORD your God. And all the congregation blessed the LORD God of their fathers, and bowed down their heads, and worshipped the LORD, and the king."

"And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?"

"And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:"

"And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the LORD, and blessed the LORD God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter unto his son."

"I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear."

All the verses from the King James Bible can be found here: http://kingjamesbible.com...

Where did Prophet Muhammad (pabbuh) get all this religious knowledge from without any arabic translation of the bible until 1600's?

The questions all seem to point to the truth that prophet Muhammad (pabbuh) is the last and final messenger that Christians and Jews should all follow today.

If your proof is that Muslims pray the same way Jews do, why is Judaism not true religion?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:26:53 PM
At 4/28/2012 3:26:37 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

LOL

If your proof is that Muslims pray the same way Jews do, why is Judaism not the true religion?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:32:00 PM
Jesus preached about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek and being kind to those who hate you.

Muhammad preached about putting pagans and infidels to the sword and stoning those who do not obey the law.

This is a HUGE turn around from the teachings of Jesus and therefore I am not convinced that we went from progressing towards a more loving an accepting God and Savior to one of violence and hatred.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:36:12 PM

Whether you care or not does not profess your religious ideology. Ask yourself, does god exist? Yes, no, not sure. Whether you think about it often or whether you care doesn't say anything about the subject, because one of those three beliefs apply to you. Either you believe in a theistic being, you do not, or you are unsure.

But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:41:14 PM
At 4/28/2012 3:26:53 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/28/2012 3:26:37 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

LOL

If your proof is that Muslims pray the same way Jews do, why is Judaism not the true religion?

My proof is not that muslims simply pray the same as jews do. My proof was that from where did the Prophet Muhammad (pabbuh) get all this specific knowledge from a time and place where no such knowledge is available? He is praying the same as all the Prophets of God prayed without any of them interacting.

Also the Prophets in the Quran are correctly represented than in the Old Testament. Prophet Nuh (Noah) (peace be upon him) is depicted as a drunk, Lut (Lot) (peace be upon him) commits incest etc etc.

The Quran shows how the best of all mankind (the Prophets) were and they submitted to Allah. The old testament accuses them of lies and fabrication which they could never have done for they were the best of the best, the cream of the crop.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 3:56:58 PM
At 4/28/2012 3:32:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Jesus (peace be upon him) preached about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek and being kind to those who hate you.

Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) preached about putting pagans and infidels to the sword and stoning those who do not obey the law.

This is a HUGE turn around from the teachings of Jesus and therefore I am not convinced that we went from progressing towards a more loving an accepting God and Savior to one of violence and hatred.

stoning those who don't obey the law? Stoning is for adultery. Muhammad (pabbuh) never said to stone for other than adultery. Muhammad (pabbuh) was merciful and just, you're too biased about Muhammad (pabbuh). He laid down the first laws for humane warfare, he let people who tried to assasinate go free. Most of what you believe about Muhammad (pabbuh) are half truths which have been distorted.

Jesus (peace be upon him) truly was an amazing prophet but he was not God but was the same teaching the same as the prophets before him, One God. Jesus prayed like the muslims do today and we recognize him as the messiah. We have the true conception of Jesus which is Islam. You should embrace that.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:14:48 PM
At 4/28/2012 3:56:58 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/28/2012 3:32:00 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Jesus (peace be upon him) preached about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek and being kind to those who hate you.

Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) preached about putting pagans and infidels to the sword and stoning those who do not obey the law.

stoning those who don't obey the law? Stoning is for adultery. Muhammad (pabbuh) never said to stone for other than adultery. Muhammad (pabbuh) was merciful and just, you're too biased about Muhammad (pabbuh). He laid down the first laws for humane warfare, he let people who tried to assasinate go free. Most of what you believe about Muhammad (pabbuh) are half truths which have been distorted.

Jesus (peace be upon him) truly was an amazing prophet but he was not God but was the same teaching the same as the prophets before him, One God. Jesus prayed like the muslims do today and we recognize him as the messiah. We have the true conception of Jesus which is Islam. You should embrace that.

How can a prophet of God declare himself to be God's Son and still hold favor with God and garner your respect?

In that case he was either a liar or he was crazy if you believe that he wasn't God. Do you respect liars and psychos?
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:25:39 PM
At 4/28/2012 4:14:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

How can a prophet of God declare himself to be God's Son and still hold favor with God and garner your respect?

In that case he was either a liar or he was crazy if you believe that he wasn't God. Do you respect liars and psychos?

Jesus never claimed divinity. Show me one unambiguous in the Bible where jesus simply says "I am God" or "I am the Son of God" or where he says "Worship me, the Son of God" etc etc etc. You never find Jesus saying these things because he never claimed them in the first place!

However he did in very simple and unambiguous words say he was a prophet.

==Book of Acts Chapter 17 Verse 31==
"because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead."

==Book of Acts Chapter 3 Verse 13==
The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him.

Jesus (peace be upon him) was a prophet of God nothing less nothing more. I have conclusive proof from the bible where jesus is a prophet but is there any conclusive proof where he says he is the son of God or God? No there is not.
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:28:37 PM
At 4/28/2012 4:22:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Yeah, you're an Apathetic. Clear difference from Agnostic.

Apatheism doesn't really exist because the existence of God and religion is bound to be questioned and affects ones life at one point or another in a person's life.

If someone said that America should be based upon the bible, a true apatheist must say that he doesn't care but he does and will begin to argue.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 4:33:19 PM
At 4/28/2012 4:25:39 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
At 4/28/2012 4:14:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Jesus never claimed divinity. Show me one unambiguous in the Bible where jesus simply says "I am God" or "I am the Son of God" or where he says "Worship me, the Son of God" etc etc etc. You never find Jesus saying these things because he never claimed them in the first place!

However he did in very simple and unambiguous words say he was a prophet.

==Book of Acts Chapter 17 Verse 31==
"because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead."

==Book of Acts Chapter 3 Verse 13==
The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him.

Jesus (peace be upon him) was a prophet of God nothing less nothing more. I have conclusive proof from the bible where jesus is a prophet but is there any conclusive proof where he says he is the son of God or God? No there is not.

John 10:30

"I and the Father are one."

1 Timothy 3:16

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

"When many were about to stone Jesus for blasphemy (John 10:30-39), He said to them that said he blasphemed "because I said, I am the Son of God?" (John 10:36)."

John 14:9

"he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?"