Jump to topic:

What do you think about when you pray?

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 9:04:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
To all those who have some sort of religion and pray, I would like to ask you what you think about when you pray. Whether you be Christian, Hindu, Jew, or even an atheist that has experienced praying before, I would like your advice.

Lately, I've been wondering what to think about when I pray. Do you clear your mind and think of nothing? Do you attempt to think of the meaning of the words that are being spoken? Do you try to communicate with your God(s)? If so, then how do you do that?

I realize that this may be a personal question for some people, but I don't think I'm getting what I should from praying. I feel like I'm just uttering meaningless words out of my mouth. Oh, I understand them, but I don't understand what I should be feeling or thinking about when I'm saying these prayers.

So, does anyone have any advice?
SeanMichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 9:32:23 AM
Praying to me is not like a nursery rhyme you learn. You just do not go over the words but you try and mean what you say. When you are happy be thankful, when you are in need ask. You can have mental prayer were you can pray all day, like now I am asking God to help me so I communicate to you what is that will be helpful to you.
I talk regulary to God, I seek his guidance in my posts and ask that he help me to get his message across, I also ask him to help me to be humble and realise when I am wrong. Which I am sure is pretty regular.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 6:58:48 PM
At 4/29/2012 9:32:23 AM, SeanMichael wrote:
Praying to me is not like a nursery rhyme you learn. You just do not go over the words but you try and mean what you say. When you are happy be thankful, when you are in need ask. You can have mental prayer were you can pray all day, like now I am asking God to help me so I communicate to you what is that will be helpful to you.
I talk regulary to God, I seek his guidance in my posts and ask that he help me to get his message across, I also ask him to help me to be humble and realise when I am wrong. Which I am sure is pretty regular.

Thank you for your advice. I see what you mean.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 7:55:19 PM
I would also point out for Christianity there is a process of prayer that is most effective and their are types of prayer.

A prayer should flow in this order:
1: Thanksgiving
2: Intercede for others.
3: Needs/direction
4: Wants

It is efficacious to always give thanks and recognize from God the things you know came from Him, which by default is everything but what is relevant in your daily events.
Then God desires you put people before yourself.
Then to deal with your needs and guidance should be paramount.

The second prayer type is a prayer of worship.

Third is a contemplative prayer waiting for God to speak to you. Your level of holiness will directly affect God's willingness to speak to you.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:46:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2012 9:04:37 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
To all those who have some sort of religion and pray, I would like to ask you what you think about when you pray. Whether you be Christian, Hindu, Jew, or even an atheist that has experienced praying before, I would like your advice.

Lately, I've been wondering what to think about when I pray. Do you clear your mind and think of nothing? Do you attempt to think of the meaning of the words that are being spoken? Do you try to communicate with your God(s)? If so, then how do you do that?

I realize that this may be a personal question for some people, but I don't think I'm getting what I should from praying. I feel like I'm just uttering meaningless words out of my mouth. Oh, I understand them, but I don't understand what I should be feeling or thinking about when I'm saying these prayers.

When I pray, I close myself from everything and focus on the power of Jesus and my words. Most of the time, I don't pay attention to the words I say and alot of times, I see God's power at work. People are moved by the power of Jesus, I remember praying for someone and as soon as I poured myself out in prayer, he broke down crying, got on his knees and knelt down to pray
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 9:54:40 AM
At 7/24/2014 9:46:51 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

When I pray, I close myself from everything and focus on the power of Jesus and my words. Most of the time, I don't pay attention to the words I say and alot of times, I see God's power at work. People are moved by the power of Jesus, I remember praying for someone and as soon as I poured myself out in prayer, he broke down crying, got on his knees and knelt down to pray

Even though this was a long time ago, thanks for your input. I've heard many stories such as the one you just presented. Prayer does indeed have a power ...

Interestingly enough, I've taken an opposite approach. I focus as much as possible on the words, trying to glean meaning from them, whilst at the same time attempting to think of others as I recite the words.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 10:04:49 AM
At 7/25/2014 9:54:40 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 7/24/2014 9:46:51 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Even though this was a long time ago, thanks for your input. I've heard many stories such as the one you just presented. Prayer does indeed have a power ...

Interestingly enough, I've taken an opposite approach. I focus as much as possible on the words, trying to glean meaning from them, whilst at the same time attempting to think of others as I recite the words.

Yes, don't think. Just have faith and let God's spirit take control of you and do his work.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:27:24 PM

A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 9:32:11 PM
I think to myself "How much longer am I supposed to bow my head down and pretend I am talking to some magic man in the sky for?" [open one eye, look around at everyone else and see if they are done yet. If not, close eyes and wait 10 seconds, repeat till it's over].