Jump to topic:

More Christianese

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 3:25:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A couple of days ago, I came across another example of christianese—for anyone who doesn't know, "christianese" is the very strange "language" christians use to make their ridiculous "teachings" even more obscure and incomprehensible than they would otherwise be). The term I'm talking about is "the word rightly divided" (why, oh why, can't they follow the normal rules of English grammar and put the qualifying adverb rightly and adjective divided before the noun word that they limit?).

I have just one very simple question: what is the "right" way to divide the word "WORD"? Is it

(1)   W – ORD, or

(2)   WO – RD, or

(3)   WOR – D?

Also, WHO SAYS that whichever of the three you choose IS the "right" one?

This absurd expression actually has its origin in chapter 2, verse 15 of Sha'ul the Apostate's SSL ("Second Silly Letter") to Τιμόθεος (Timotheos), where, for some very strange reason, the King James's PerVersion "translators" decided to use it to represent the Koinē Greek verb ὀρθοτομέω orthotomeō, a very odd compound that seems to be a combination of ὀρθός orthos ("upright" or "straight") and an obscure verb τέμνω temno that is apparently connected with τομός tomos ("sharp[er]").

Words fail me (however you "divide" them)!!!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler