Jump to topic:

What are your views on morality?

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 10:24:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have some questions about everyone's view of morality.

Where does morality come from? This is my biggest question. Do you have logic and evidence-based reasons for your answer?

Why should we be moral? It is sometimes the best choice to break your moral system?

Is morality the same universally or does it depend on the general characteristics of humans, or depend on the characteristics of each individual, or the situation your are in, or the culture your live in?

You don't have to answer all these questions but I would prefer that you do. You also don't have to go into a lot of detail at first, I just want to see your opinion.

I will try to answer these questions myself.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 11:22:30 AM
At 5/1/2012 10:24:10 AM, Dan4reason wrote:

Where does morality come from? This is my biggest question. Do you have logic and evidence-based reasons for your answer?

Morality flows from commands of God. Allah defines what is good and what is bad.

There is an interesting point, which needs to be pointed out. Allah has commanded morality in two ways. One is through our own nature and inclinations (or fitrah). The other is through explicit instructions through The Holy Books. Morality in the commandments is identical to morality in human nature. In any case, morality comes from God only.

Why should we be moral? It is sometimes the best choice to break your moral system?

Because that is the natural and correct way for human beings. When we spend our lives in correct way, we are at peace with ourselves and at peace with world.

If this does not look like sufficient motivation, there is heaven and hell.

Is morality the same universally or does it depend on the general characteristics of humans, or depend on the characteristics of each individual, or the situation your are in, or the culture your live in?

It can vary slightly from time to time, from society to society and from individual to individual. However, the difference is not much and core of the morality remains identical.

You don't have to answer all these questions but I would prefer that you do. You also don't have to go into a lot of detail at first, I just want to see your opinion.

The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 11:37:35 AM
because we are intelligent apathetic creatures, plus morals are kinda based on what you are taught as well.
Slimy yet satisfying"
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 11:39:29 AM

Morality in my view comes from the way human nature is set, and is also a logical choice for most people if they want to be prosperous and happy in the societies they are in.

We should be good to other people because if not they probably won't help you out very much. Plus, we are happiest when they are good to others and we know that we are good, fair and decent people. Also there may be repercussions from the rest of society when we do something wrong.

There are exceptions. Sometimes the gain from doing something wrong may be greater than the guilt faced from it. Also sometimes there are fewer repercussions if we do things members outside our societies that cannot stop us. For example if you were to get away with a bank robbery, that would certainly benefit your a lot. Plus many people can get away with things with minimum social repercussions especially if these things are considered ok by society.

I would feel horrible about myself if I did something horrible for financial gain and would never do something like that, however I can't speak for others.

Morality very much depends on the environment you are in. I don't think that morality should be based on culture, rather it should depend on general human nature, the environment we are in, and a little on each of our individual natures, so it is very relative.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 11:40:23 AM
At 5/1/2012 11:37:35 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
because we are intelligent apathetic creatures, plus morals are kinda based on what you are taught as well.

You perception of morality is based on what you are taught. What about morality as it should be?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 11:42:05 AM
This is neato, I can construct a rebuttal without writing a word:

Where does morality come from?

Logic and evidence-based reasons answers.

Why should we be moral?

It is the best choice.

Is morality the same universally?

It depends on the situation your are in.
TheDiabolicDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 12:12:51 PM

Morality stems from the fact that we are rational beings and are capable of making rational decisions. (well, maybe not all of us but still)

I like to look at the Prisoner's Dilemma as an example for this. I suggest you look it up and read about it, it's fairly short. The point of the Prisoner's Dilemma is this: Human beings can achieve more by working cooperatively than they can by being selfish.

It would seem that morality is relative, yes.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 12:22:00 PM

Morality comes from human reasoning and deduction. This, of course, assumes that morality is subjective, which I believe to be true and can back up if challenged. But we ultimately decide what we consider to be a moral or immoral action. Through our own reasoning is where morality comes from. Without humanity, there would be no morality.

There really isn't a reason to be moral. There's also an equally non-existent reason to be immoral, though. It's all based upon what you view to be the best course of action in a given situation.

If the base question you're trying to ask is if morality is objective, universally true, or subjective, differentiating amongst different groups of people, then the answer is it is not universal. Too much typing on my iPod to explain my reasoning now, but I can back it up later if challenged.

Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 3:19:50 PM
Morals clearly come from the fact that we are a social species, and morals are needed for survival (we cannot survive if everyone is raping each other and killing them now can we?). Sure there will be some disagreements, but the basic outline will always be there, because morals are necessary for human flourishing.

I'm not sure why people think there is some big mystery surrounding morality...There isn't, it's really obvious.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 3:21:19 PM

Where does morality come from?

I believe it comes from God and that He also gave us a moral intuition to guide us, though that has differed away from being trustworthy hence the many moral disagreements.

This is my biggest question. Do you have logic and evidence-based reasons for your answer?

I believe we have a moral intuition that is not flawed enough to be naturally formed. Thus I believe we possess it from a supernatural metaphysical source.

Why should we be moral?

Because it contradicts my nature not to be and because I follow God.

It is sometimes the best choice to break your moral system?

I don't know; probably.

I believe in objective morality, though I would completely discard those beliefs if it weren't for my theistic views, as in, it is dependent on God.

"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 9:36:31 PM

Chances are it comes from us, humans. At the core of humans is a desire to live and not just live but live well. Cause we possess some intelligence we recognize that not all states are equal in this regard.

Living in an environment where your other humans kill and rape ? hurtful

Living in an environment where your other humans don't kill and rape ? helpful

Living in an environment where you act on false information ? hurtful

Living in an environment where you act on correct information ? helpful

1) Cause you internalize the morality, and you want to be consistent
2) Consequences

"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 10:12:29 PM
At 5/1/2012 3:07:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I'm a moral nihilist. However, I do concede argumentation ethics as providing a very rational system of ethics.

A moral nihilist? You actually exist? XD I understand being a relativist (as myself) but a nihilist? Isn't that self-contradictory?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...