Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Religious Debate

Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 10:12:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am doing a series of on air Theism and religious discussions (not formal debates) on a Radio Program. I could not think of a better and more articulate group of people to pull from than those here.

Would anyone like to participate on a theistic side or non theistic side of certain key resolution topics?

I am doing 1 v 1 discussions and looking to have 2v2, two to rep theistic points of view and then 2-non theistic persons to represent the opposing view.

Couple of keys while on air are: be professional, be kind and aware of how to have a conversation.
Skills for having a conversation would be not long winded, staying on point, yielding to the other people etc etc....

Let me know if you are interested.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 10:56:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd love to participate, problem is, I don't really think I have the resources to do so.

My post is a waste of space.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 3:37:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
There are ways to exchange and examine ideas with the purpose of getting at the truth, no matter where it lies or how unpleasant it may be.

Debating on DDO is one of them, although it is far from ideal.

Debating in realtime on a radio show is not one of them.

And, although this is more of a contingent fact, debating in realtime on a Christian-moderated radio show is even less so.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 12:44:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/1/2012 10:52:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Radio program? which program?

Is it your station? How did you get this connection? What kind of resolutions will there be?

I am the Radio Show Host but the station is not 'mine'. It is a Christian broadcast station within the southeast.

The program has a webpage www.conversionpoints.org.

The resolutions will be of this kind:
Is God real or not?
Can God be known through Philosophy?
Is their evidence for God?
Is their evidence for the Supernatural?

The debate would be pre-recorded and posted on the website. Mind if I send some information to you directly if you are up for it?
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 12:52:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 3:37:05 AM, WriterDave wrote:
There are ways to exchange and examine ideas with the purpose of getting at the truth, no matter where it lies or how unpleasant it may be.

Debating on DDO is one of them, although it is far from ideal.

Debating in realtime on a radio show is not one of them.

And, although this is more of a contingent fact, debating in realtime on a Christian-moderated radio show is even less so.

You seem to be attempting to dissuade by projecting :)

It is very useful for many things. It is a great way to develop public speaking skills as well as debate discussion format. Most are here to learn and develop just these types of skills from a ground work scenario.

Most of lifes great debates, will only ever be a discussion format. Not many of these opportunities come along in a training type format that also allow for public speaking.

The format for DDO is a great place to link up and develop the full range of skills for all of us, hence why most of us are here.

Here is an example debate I was on in this type of discussion format.
http://www.faithandskepticism.com...

Podcast 6: Does Life Have Meaning or Value Without God?

It was a great discussion piece and quite informative.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 1:19:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 12:44:24 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 5/1/2012 10:52:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Radio program? which program?

Is it your station? How did you get this connection? What kind of resolutions will there be?

I am the Radio Show Host but the station is not 'mine'. It is a Christian broadcast station within the southeast.

The program has a webpage www.conversionpoints.org.

The resolutions will be of this kind:
Is God real or not?
Can God be known through Philosophy?
Is their evidence for God?
Is their evidence for the Supernatural?


The debate would be pre-recorded and posted on the website. Mind if I send some information to you directly if you are up for it?

Southeast? I live in the SE.

What station?
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 2:06:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 1:19:12 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/2/2012 12:44:24 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 5/1/2012 10:52:52 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Radio program? which program?

Is it your station? How did you get this connection? What kind of resolutions will there be?

I am the Radio Show Host but the station is not 'mine'. It is a Christian broadcast station within the southeast.

The program has a webpage www.conversionpoints.org.

The resolutions will be of this kind:
Is God real or not?
Can God be known through Philosophy?
Is their evidence for God?
Is their evidence for the Supernatural?


The debate would be pre-recorded and posted on the website. Mind if I send some information to you directly if you are up for it?

Southeast? I live in the SE.

What station?

NE GA Glory 1330 Radio. There is a direct link to the radio station on conversionpoints.org
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 3:15:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 12:52:32 PM, Gileandos wrote:

It is very useful for many things. It is a great way to develop public speaking skills as well as debate discussion format. Most are here to learn and develop just these types of skills from a ground work scenario.

Most of lifes great debates, will only ever be a discussion format. Not many of these opportunities come along in a training type format that also allow for public speaking.

The format for DDO is a great place to link up and develop the full range of skills for all of us, hence why most of us are here.


If you want to help people develop speaking skills, then terrific -- hold a lecture series.

If you want to help people develop speaking skills for the purposes of debate, then scroll to about 2:15 in this video, watch and learn.

I like my philosophy in a format that I can read, re-read, check sources, mull over in my head for a few days or weeks, and arrive at the best answer I am capable of giving, rather than the best answer I am capable of giving off the top of my head. If for no other reason than that I'm less likely to be wrong.

I also like to distribute my answers in a trustworthy venue, where the value of hard-thought and intricately-formed arguments don't reduce to popularity contests.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 5:36:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 3:15:20 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 5/2/2012 12:52:32 PM, Gileandos wrote:

It is very useful for many things. It is a great way to develop public speaking skills as well as debate discussion format. Most are here to learn and develop just these types of skills from a ground work scenario.

Most of lifes great debates, will only ever be a discussion format. Not many of these opportunities come along in a training type format that also allow for public speaking.

The format for DDO is a great place to link up and develop the full range of skills for all of us, hence why most of us are here.


If you want to help people develop speaking skills, then terrific -- hold a lecture series.

If you want to help people develop speaking skills for the purposes of debate, then scroll to about 2:15 in this video, watch and learn.

I like my philosophy in a format that I can read, re-read, check sources, mull over in my head for a few days or weeks, and arrive at the best answer I am capable of giving, rather than the best answer I am capable of giving off the top of my head. If for no other reason than that I'm less likely to be wrong.

I also like to distribute my answers in a trustworthy venue, where the value of hard-thought and intricately-formed arguments don't reduce to popularity contests.

"No, thank you." would have been sufficient. :)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:36:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 5:36:18 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 5/2/2012 3:15:20 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 5/2/2012 12:52:32 PM, Gileandos wrote:

It is very useful for many things. It is a great way to develop public speaking skills as well as debate discussion format. Most are here to learn and develop just these types of skills from a ground work scenario.

Most of lifes great debates, will only ever be a discussion format. Not many of these opportunities come along in a training type format that also allow for public speaking.

The format for DDO is a great place to link up and develop the full range of skills for all of us, hence why most of us are here.


If you want to help people develop speaking skills, then terrific -- hold a lecture series.

If you want to help people develop speaking skills for the purposes of debate, then scroll to about 2:15 in this video, watch and learn.

I like my philosophy in a format that I can read, re-read, check sources, mull over in my head for a few days or weeks, and arrive at the best answer I am capable of giving, rather than the best answer I am capable of giving off the top of my head. If for no other reason than that I'm less likely to be wrong.

I also like to distribute my answers in a trustworthy venue, where the value of hard-thought and intricately-formed arguments don't reduce to popularity contests.

"No, thank you." would have been sufficient. :)

+1

That guy is a clown...
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 8:58:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 7:36:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/2/2012 5:36:18 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 5/2/2012 3:15:20 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 5/2/2012 12:52:32 PM, Gileandos wrote:

It is very useful for many things. It is a great way to develop public speaking skills as well as debate discussion format. Most are here to learn and develop just these types of skills from a ground work scenario.

Most of lifes great debates, will only ever be a discussion format. Not many of these opportunities come along in a training type format that also allow for public speaking.

The format for DDO is a great place to link up and develop the full range of skills for all of us, hence why most of us are here.


If you want to help people develop speaking skills, then terrific -- hold a lecture series.

If you want to help people develop speaking skills for the purposes of debate, then scroll to about 2:15 in this video, watch and learn.

I like my philosophy in a format that I can read, re-read, check sources, mull over in my head for a few days or weeks, and arrive at the best answer I am capable of giving, rather than the best answer I am capable of giving off the top of my head. If for no other reason than that I'm less likely to be wrong.

I also like to distribute my answers in a trustworthy venue, where the value of hard-thought and intricately-formed arguments don't reduce to popularity contests.

"No, thank you." would have been sufficient. :)

+1

That guy is a clown...

So . . . you guys don't agree about the whole "less likely to be wrong" thing?

Hm. Guess it's just me.

Oh my, will you look at the time . . .
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:12:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I also wanted to clarify for everyone after some questions. This is done via skype which is free software and over the computer. You will just need a mic, headphones and a very quiet room during the debate.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:18:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I might know a few people who would be interested. They've done this sort of thing before, so they might be up for it again. They are good guys, I'm going to link them here (they aren't members of DDO). Is that cool?
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:33:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/3/2012 10:18:22 AM, Meatros wrote:
I might know a few people who would be interested. They've done this sort of thing before, so they might be up for it again. They are good guys, I'm going to link them here (they aren't members of DDO). Is that cool?

Yeah that is not a problem at all.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:36:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/3/2012 10:33:11 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 5/3/2012 10:18:22 AM, Meatros wrote:
I might know a few people who would be interested. They've done this sort of thing before, so they might be up for it again. They are good guys, I'm going to link them here (they aren't members of DDO). Is that cool?

Yeah that is not a problem at all.

Cool, I've told them.
tyler90az
Posts: 971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 1:55:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/3/2012 10:53:28 AM, Meatros wrote:
Okay, so they aren't members, so how do they get in contact with you?

I would like to do a Mormons are Christian debate...... I think that would draw many listeners to the station.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 8:19:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/3/2012 1:55:03 PM, tyler90az wrote:
At 5/3/2012 10:53:28 AM, Meatros wrote:
Okay, so they aren't members, so how do they get in contact with you?

I would like to do a Mormons are Christian debate...... I think that would draw many listeners to the station.

I would love to discuss that topic. I will send you an IM.
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 6:24:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm def. interested. I may start my own podcast on blogtalkradio on evolution/creation/science.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler