Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Pagan

yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.
Me
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:14:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not sure there are a lot of new pagans. You might be referring to the upsurge of occultism, often labelled as 'neo-paganism,' 'mystics,' 'new age.' I think the rise is stemming from a newfound understanding of religion and how it effects and is effected by psychology. All religions work, and occultism is just one of the more enjoyable and more practical as it relates directly to the self, and doesn't attribute worldly phenomena to non-worldy beings. The world of occultism is filled with gratifying attributions and practices that bring the idea of spirituality much closer to the individual, and in my opinion is similar to Buddhism - which is also seeing a rise in its participants.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:40:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 11:14:21 AM, CrazyPerson wrote:
I'm not sure there are a lot of new pagans. You might be referring to the upsurge of occultism, often labelled as 'neo-paganism,' 'mystics,' 'new age.' I think the rise is stemming from a newfound understanding of religion and how it effects and is effected by psychology. All religions work, and occultism is just one of the more enjoyable and more practical as it relates directly to the self, and doesn't attribute worldly phenomena to non-worldy beings. The world of occultism is filled with gratifying attributions and practices that bring the idea of spirituality much closer to the individual, and in my opinion is similar to Buddhism - which is also seeing a rise in its participants.

Maybe, I was just reading about a person that said he was pagan and it stuck my interest.
Yes i agree it is a lot like Buddhism, when I was reading about their meditation and their inner spirit it reminded me of Buddhism.
Me
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:04:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I met a guy with a detached retina. He said that he really believed it is a mark of Odin. He, in effect, perhaps metaphorically, thinks he gave up sight for wisdom.

Or something. I didn't delve.
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:12:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM, yoda878 wrote:
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.

The only ones who say the Pagan religions are becoming more popular are the pagans themselves.

There's a reason these religions lost their major support hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:35:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM, yoda878 wrote:
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.

None are active. http://www.debate.org...
Best use google.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:41:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Paganism is "popular" right now because you make of it whatever you want. If you don't like the rules of Christianity, fine throw them out, want to worship the Earth? Sure. Want to practice magic? Go right ahead.

You can do whatever you want in Paganism. That's why it's silly. If you want a "religion" but don't want to really adhere to anything real why don't you just drop the whole idea?

Pagans (in my experience) range from anything from Earth-loving hippies to hardcore magic users who believe in chakara and spells. It basically covers any religion not inside the main religious beliefs.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 9:12:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 6:12:18 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
At 5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM, yoda878 wrote:
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.

The only ones who say the Pagan religions are becoming more popular are the pagans themselves.

There's a reason these religions lost their major support hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.

Because certain religions (Abrahamic religions, cough cough) violent oppressed and threatened pagans.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:35:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 9:12:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/2/2012 6:12:18 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
At 5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM, yoda878 wrote:
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.

The only ones who say the Pagan religions are becoming more popular are the pagans themselves.

There's a reason these religions lost their major support hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.

Because certain religions (Abrahamic religions, cough cough) violent oppressed and threatened pagans.

Your point?

And in places like China, N. Korea and Cuba Christianity and other monotheistic religions were violently oppressed and threatened and still are today in some places.

Christians were persecuted by the Romans up until the 4th century AD. It survived.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:43:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 10:35:06 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/2/2012 9:12:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/2/2012 6:12:18 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
At 5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM, yoda878 wrote:
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.

The only ones who say the Pagan religions are becoming more popular are the pagans themselves.

There's a reason these religions lost their major support hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.

Because certain religions (Abrahamic religions, cough cough) violent oppressed and threatened pagans.

Your point?

And in places like China, N. Korea and Cuba Christianity and other monotheistic religions were violently oppressed and threatened and still are today in some places.

What does this have to do with anything? I was just explaining why paganism is not as prominent.
Christians were persecuted by the Romans up until the 4th century AD. It survived.

Yes, because Christianity was originally egalitarian and thus was popular among Roman women and Roman slaves. Christians were also intelligent enough to usurp the pagan holidays and religious beliefs.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:52:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/2/2012 10:43:18 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/2/2012 10:35:06 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/2/2012 9:12:31 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 5/2/2012 6:12:18 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
At 5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM, yoda878 wrote:
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.

The only ones who say the Pagan religions are becoming more popular are the pagans themselves.

There's a reason these religions lost their major support hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.

Because certain religions (Abrahamic religions, cough cough) violent oppressed and threatened pagans.

Your point?

And in places like China, N. Korea and Cuba Christianity and other monotheistic religions were violently oppressed and threatened and still are today in some places.

What does this have to do with anything? I was just explaining why paganism is not as prominent.
Christians were persecuted by the Romans up until the 4th century AD. It survived.

Yes, because Christianity was originally egalitarian and thus was popular among Roman women and Roman slaves. Christians were also intelligent enough to usurp the pagan holidays and religious beliefs.

Yes. It worked marvelously as you well know. Brilliance!
citizenofearth
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 4:01:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 5/2/2012 9:31:51 AM, yoda878 wrote:
Ok I don't know much about this and am wondering if we have any in here. If you are of this religion seems it is coming more and more popular, tell us what you believe? Yes, I do have Google on my computer, but that's not going to tell me what people get out of it.

I've super late to this party :) I'm Pagan, and while I can not speak to the beliefs of all Pagan, because Pagan is such a broad term , that means many different things to different people, I wouldn't mind telling you about my own personal beliefs if you are still interested.