Total Posts:103|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God

KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 12:56:03 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Ive noticed that atheists tend to love there so called science. So I am going to challenge the athiest to show how science disproves the existence of God.
I win ;D
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 8:37:48 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
We have 5 tools for examining the world.

Can you see God? No.
Can you taste God? No.
Can you touch God? No.
Can you smell God? No.
Can you hear God? No.

Sorry pal - lack of evidence is evidence of lack.

If you say "OH NOEZ IT'S NOT!" then you also have to accept that fairies, elves, unicorns, etc... exist.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 8:58:18 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 8:37:48 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
We have 5 tools for examining the world.

Can you see God? No.
Can you taste God? No.
Can you touch God? No.
Can you smell God? No.
Can you hear God? No.

Sorry pal - lack of evidence is evidence of lack.

If you say "OH NOEZ IT'S NOT!" then you also have to accept that fairies, elves, unicorns, etc... exist.

LOL.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 8:59:03 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 12:56:03 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
Ive noticed that atheists tend to love there so called science. So I am going to challenge the athiest to show how science disproves the existence of God.

Atheists also love decent S&G.
Republican95
Posts: 111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 9:02:47 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 8:37:48 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
We have 5 tools for examining the world.

Can you see God? No.
Can you taste God? No.
Can you touch God? No.
Can you smell God? No.
Can you hear God? No.

Sorry pal - lack of evidence is evidence of lack.

If you say "OH NOEZ IT'S NOT!" then you also have to accept that fairies, elves, unicorns, etc... exist.

So simply God doesn't exist because you've never experienced him. Well, I've never seen/touched/tasted/smelt/heard one million dollars, so it must not exist.
KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 9:04:26 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 8:59:03 AM, untitled_entity wrote:
At 7/31/2009 12:56:03 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
Ive noticed that atheists tend to love there so called science. So I am going to challenge the athiest to show how science disproves the existence of God.

Atheists also love decent S&G.

Great argument you take my breathe away. English has never been my good subject thanks for your unnecessary input.
I win ;D
sherlockmethod
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 9:55:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Science does not disprove God. God is not relevant to science. Scientists use natural phenomena to explain the natural world and science would be a poor tool to use if one wishes to disprove God. The idea of God is not falsifiable so science can do nothing in respect to it.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:06:01 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 9:55:50 AM, sherlockmethod wrote:
Science does not disprove God. God is not relevant to science. Scientists use natural phenomena to explain the natural world and science would be a poor tool to use if one wishes to disprove God. The idea of God is not falsifiable so science can do nothing in respect to it.

There you have it. Science does NOT disprove God.
You can believe in God and in science. As far as I can see the only thing that science points to is God.
I win ;D
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:21:36 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
@ Republican95 : Poor argument. Wall Street is proof a Million Dollars exists. The difference is that you can't prove that your God exists. Not everyone experiences everything. If everything was restricted to what we only saw, then only Ireland, Florida, Chicago, Majorca, Paris, Italy and the England would exist Of course, there is a whole world.

There is ultimatley no definitive proof that a God exists. As we discover more, we assume that God is either less powerful or non existent.

Science doesn't prove God, nor does it disprove him yet.

It does however disprove the belief the world was created 6,000 years ago.

Describe your God and his characteristics. Christians often claim that Atheists have the total burden of proof. But, just describe your Gods qualities, please, OP.

(OP = Original Poster)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:35:14 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
One thing that bugs me is when people assert that something exists yet don't even know what it is. Can you describe who and what God is and what he looks like? If so, maybe then it'll be worth trying to figure out if he exists. If not, what's the point and why even try. (I'm not an atheist btw, I just think that if you are going to believe in God, you should know what God is.)

Also, science and God are compatible because science is the study of the nature of the Universe, and if God is part of that, science can explain it.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:43:42 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:21:36 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Describe your God and his characteristics. Christians often claim that Atheists have the total burden of proof. But, just describe your Gods qualities, please, OP.

Yes please. Asking for a disproof of God without telling us what God's attributes are is a nonsense statement.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:45:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:21:36 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
@ Republican95 : Poor argument. Wall Street is proof a Million Dollars exists. The difference is that you can't prove that your God exists. Not everyone experiences everything. If everything was restricted to what we only saw, then only Ireland, Florida, Chicago, Majorca, Paris, Italy and the England would exist Of course, there is a whole world.

There is ultimatley no definitive proof that a God exists. As we discover more, we assume that God is either less powerful or non existent.

Science doesn't prove God, nor does it disprove him yet.

It does however disprove the belief the world was created 6,000 years ago.

Describe your God and his characteristics. Christians often claim that Atheists have the total burden of proof. But, just describe your Gods qualities, please, OP.

(OP = Original Poster)

Two things. Please show me where in the Bible does it says that the earth is 6,000 years old.
Second thing what have we discovered thats shows that God is either less powerfull or non existent? My God is the christian God, but my challenge is for the athiests to disprove the existence of God in general using science.
I win ;D
KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:48:19 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:43:42 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:21:36 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Describe your God and his characteristics. Christians often claim that Atheists have the total burden of proof. But, just describe your Gods qualities, please, OP.

Yes please. Asking for a disproof of God without telling us what God's attributes are is a nonsense statement.

Ok, how does science disprove the Christian God?
I win ;D
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:57:39 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:45:02 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:

Two things. Please show me where in the Bible does it says that the earth is 6,000 years old.

A man counted up the age of everyone in the bible and concluded the Earth was 6000 years old. Some fundamentalist hold this false belief to be true.

Second thing what have we discovered thats shows that God is either less powerfull or non existent?

Before God was considered to be responsible for everything. People thought the Black Death was caused by God. We now know it was a disease carried by Fleas on Rats. As we discover the fundamental cause behind things, Gods assumed power shrinks. I'm sure you're familiar with the theory of God-of-the-Gaps.

My God is the christian God, but my challenge is for the athiests to disprove the existence of God in general using science.

As I said, Science neither fully proves nor disproves God. We can however use applied logic.

You're God is the Christian God, who has the following properties: He it Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent and Omnipresent. In order, they mean that God is all powerful, all knowing, all loving and always present.

If that is the case, then suffering cannot exist. God has the knowledge of all the suffering. He also has the compassion to get rid of it. He also has the power and ability to do so. Clear contradiction.

Also, assuming your God exerts his power and guides all lives, meaning we have no free will, then he wouldn't have made the Ten Commandments. If he is all powerful, he doesn't need us to make sure we follow rules, as our obeying and disobeying of them is inevitable.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
s0m31john
Posts: 1,879
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:58:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:53:20 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:52:08 AM, s0m31john wrote:
This whole thread:

hurr durrrrrrrrrrrrp

huh?

derp
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 10:58:34 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:53:20 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:52:08 AM, s0m31john wrote:
This whole thread:

hurr durrrrrrrrrrrrp

huh?

John believes in the benevolence of his Noodly Appendage.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 11:00:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:57:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Before God was considered to be responsible for everything. People thought the Black Death was caused by God. We now know it was a disease carried by Fleas on Rats. As we discover the fundamental cause behind things, Gods assumed power shrinks. I'm sure you're familiar with the theory of God-of-the-Gaps.

There's still the theory that God caused the disease to be carried by fleas on rats. Just because it happened in a seemingly natural way, doesn't mean that God wasn't behind it.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 11:03:46 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 11:00:57 AM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:57:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Before God was considered to be responsible for everything. People thought the Black Death was caused by God. We now know it was a disease carried by Fleas on Rats. As we discover the fundamental cause behind things, Gods assumed power shrinks. I'm sure you're familiar with the theory of God-of-the-Gaps.

There's still the theory that God caused the disease to be carried by fleas on rats. Just because it happened in a seemingly natural way, doesn't mean that God wasn't behind it.

God didn't engineer it (See previous post) and we scientifically don't know if a God didn't create the Universe.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
MTGandP
Posts: 702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 11:15:21 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 8:46:03 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
Okay, that doesn't disprove God. Good try though. Please show the science that disproves God.

The default position is that God does not exist, just as the default position is that unicorns do not exist. Unless YOU prove that God exists, it is assumed that God does not exist.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 11:19:34 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:48:19 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:43:42 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:21:36 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Describe your God and his characteristics. Christians often claim that Atheists have the total burden of proof. But, just describe your Gods qualities, please, OP.

Yes please. Asking for a disproof of God without telling us what God's attributes are is a nonsense statement.

Ok, how does science disprove the Christian God?

That does not tell me any attributes about God. There are over 9000 Christian religions, and I am not going to bother looking up what your particular sect says God is. If you want a disproof of your God, you will have to tell us what your God's attributes are.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 11:29:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 10:57:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:45:02 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:

Two things. Please show me where in the Bible does it says that the earth is 6,000 years old.

A man counted up the age of everyone in the bible and concluded the Earth was 6000 years old. Some fundamentalist hold this false belief to be true.

The Bible also talks about a day to God is like a thousand years.
SO clearly the creation of six days could mean 6,000 years to us. Also the Bible implies that the earth existed before God created life on earth. Genesis 1:2"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
So the earth could very well be billions of years old. Christians do not know when God created the earth.

Second thing what have we discovered thats shows that God is either less powerfull or non existent?

Before God was considered to be responsible for everything. People thought the Black Death was caused by God. We now know it was a disease carried by Fleas on Rats. As we discover the fundamental cause behind things, Gods assumed power shrinks. I'm sure you're familiar with the theory of God-of-the-Gaps.

What created the fleas on the rats?

My God is the christian God, but my challenge is for the athiests to disprove the existence of God in general using science.

As I said, Science neither fully proves nor disproves God. We can however use applied logic.

You're God is the Christian God, who has the following properties: He it Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent and Omnipresent. In order, they mean that God is all powerful, all knowing, all loving and always present.

If that is the case, then suffering cannot exist. God has the knowledge of all the suffering. He also has the compassion to get rid of it. He also has the power and ability to do so. Clear contradiction.

Disease and death is the curse or punishment gave to us after the fall of man. There is no contradiction. God could lift the curse but why would he since we as a race continue to defy him? God does love all of us that is why he sent us Jesus.

Also, assuming your God exerts his power and guides all lives, meaning we have no free will, then he wouldn't have made the Ten Commandments. If he is all powerful, he doesn't need us to make sure we follow rules, as our obeying and disobeying of them is inevitable.

Your wrong again God gives us free will, God made the ten commandments to guide believer's to live a godly life not to force but to guide.

You still have not shown how scientifically God cannot exist. You say its impossible to prove neither, then why are you leaving posts? I want to hear scientific arguments.
I win ;D
KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 11:33:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 11:19:34 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:48:19 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:43:42 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:21:36 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Describe your God and his characteristics. Christians often claim that Atheists have the total burden of proof. But, just describe your Gods qualities, please, OP.

Yes please. Asking for a disproof of God without telling us what God's attributes are is a nonsense statement.

Ok, how does science disprove the Christian God?

That does not tell me any attributes about God. There are over 9000 Christian religions, and I am not going to bother looking up what your particular sect says God is. If you want a disproof of your God, you will have to tell us what your God's attributes are.

I am a panda's definition of my God is acceptable accept God does not love absolutely everything. God loves his people but he does not love everything.
I win ;D
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2009 11:45:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/31/2009 11:29:15 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:57:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 7/31/2009 10:45:02 AM, KeithKroeger91 wrote:

Two things. Please show me where in the Bible does it says that the earth is 6,000 years old.

A man counted up the age of everyone in the bible and concluded the Earth was 6000 years old. Some fundamentalist hold this false belief to be true.

The Bible also talks about a day to God is like a thousand years.
SO clearly the creation of six days could mean 6,000 years to us. Also the Bible implies that the earth existed before God created life on earth. Genesis 1:2"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."
So the earth could very well be billions of years old. Christians do not know when God created the earth.

I'm not contending all Christians believe the Earth is 6000 years old. Take it up with Godsands.


Second thing what have we discovered thats shows that God is either less powerfull or non existent?

Before God was considered to be responsible for everything. People thought the Black Death was caused by God. We now know it was a disease carried by Fleas on Rats. As we discover the fundamental cause behind things, Gods assumed power shrinks. I'm sure you're familiar with the theory of God-of-the-Gaps.

What created the fleas on the rats?

Like I have previously stated dozens of times, we cannot know until it is scientifically proven. More than likely, evolution.


My God is the christian God, but my challenge is for the athiests to disprove the existence of God in general using science.

As I said, Science neither fully proves nor disproves God. We can however use applied logic.

You're God is the Christian God, who has the following properties: He it Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent and Omnipresent. In order, they mean that God is all powerful, all knowing, all loving and always present.

If that is the case, then suffering cannot exist. God has the knowledge of all the suffering. He also has the compassion to get rid of it. He also has the power and ability to do so. Clear contradiction.

Disease and death is the curse or punishment gave to us after the fall of man. There is no contradiction. God could lift the curse but why would he since we as a race continue to defy him? God does love all of us that is why he sent us Jesus.

If God has all of the above characteristics, why wouldn't he send a clear sign no one could possibly disprove. He does after all have unlimited knowledge.

You however contend has compassion to do good and therefore get rid of bad. Why would god then create evil and badness?


Also, assuming your God exerts his power and guides all lives, meaning we have no free will, then he wouldn't have made the Ten Commandments. If he is all powerful, he doesn't need us to make sure we follow rules, as our obeying and disobeying of them is inevitable.

Your wrong again God gives us free will, God made the ten commandments to guide believer's to live a godly life not to force but to guide.

You still have not shown how scientifically God cannot exist. You say its impossible to prove neither, then why are you leaving posts? I want to hear scientific arguments.

I have specifically stated science neither proves or disproves God exists. It is however a race that science is winning.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.