Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

athiest to christian. does it happen and how?

Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:19:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have recently discovered I am actually kinda cynical deep down. I debate on this site from time to time largely to have fun just being argumenative about the things I like to talk about that other people do not like religion and politics.

as a christian I get into appologetics sometimes and while I think it sharpens my saw to argue those things and I learn some about the thought tracks of those who are starting from another paradigm....I dont really believe I'm doing any good. my arguments do they ever really help even a little lead somebody to believe in God even if its just in a small way?

but there have been a few people in the past on this site that I have seen stop professing to be athiest and start claiming to be christians. the facts are uncomfortably challenging my cynicism. but to put my cynicism to death tottally I need to get to the bottem of this....of when all this supposedly happens.

if you are a christian now and was ever an athiest before WHILE on this site before you converted please tell me what caused it and if your discussions on this site had any remote influence on your change?

if you converted from an athiest though before ever having something to do with this site please tell details to your conversion too.

I herd all sorts or conversion stories on this site from thiest TOO athiest. things like...
"well I just thought about all the religions out there, theres so many"
"I'm gay and I just cant believe in a god that would send me to hell he's evil if he did exist"
"theres just no proof faith is a stupid concept"
"I got to thinking about the problem of evil
"I got to thinking about how could he make a stone so big..."
and so much other stuff I just quit bothering with this buzzkill of a site for a time.

but I've never heard what issue made people change the other way, what thing they were thinking about. if you have converted from athiest to christian, please speak about why.

is there really a right thing a person can ever argue against anthers non-belief? am I really doing good for the kingdom hear, is it true my post might not be a total waist of time but actually play a part in your souls journey to belief? because I'm starting to realize some of you have belief now when before you didn't and I've just got to know why. I've basically always had it and my relationship to God personally grew to much too early for me to ever lose my belief enough to experince not having it and then getting it back.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 6:34:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Thank you for creating this thread and addressing your concerns. I hope that another perspective from another fellow love of God will help out.

as a christian I get into appologetics sometimes and while I think it sharpens my saw to argue those things and I learn some about the thought tracks of those who are starting from another paradigm....I dont really believe I'm doing any good. my arguments do they ever really help even a little lead somebody to believe in God even if its just in a small way?

I don't believe it's our job to convince anybody that God is real. I think it's our job to let those that don't know know. My position is that, when atheists contradict themselves about what they believe and state lies in order to convince people that they are correct, we should make sure people knowhow rotten atheists and their views are when they do that.

You're not going to convince anyone that God exists. Remember at the moment when your holy spirit lit up when you called upon God for the first time, it wasn't anyone that convinced you that God exists, they just convinced you to open up, and you had to take God in for yourself.

That's all we can hope for for the ignorant.

is there really a right thing a person can ever argue against anthers non-belief? am I really doing good for the kingdom hear, is it true my post might not be a total waist of time but actually play a part in your souls journey to belief? because I'm starting to realize some of you have belief now when before you didn't and I've just got to know why. I've basically always had it and my relationship to God personally grew to much too early for me to ever lose my belief enough to experince not having it and then getting it back.

There is no right argument to convince an atheist because evidence is interpreted differently by all parties involved, making an objective proof of anything, even theories of science, impossible. Any evidence you come up with will simply be said to not be evidence by them, no matter what it is.

Jesus can knock on their door and perform miracles before their very eyes, and they would still try to debunk it. They simply do not want to believe.

But, don't let an atheist convince you that just because they have no faith in God that their lives aren't based on faith (i.e. trust in things outside of their control).

Atheists are very deceptive about their opinion on faith. All humans, including atheists, have faith. This is even stated in the Bible, but you can easily see this when you think about everyday life.

When you give someone $20, and they say they'll pay you back, you are giving that money on the faith that it will be returned . When you pack your lunch and go to work, you do so in faith that you will be paid for your sacrificed time and effort. When you pray to God, you are doing so out of faith that God will provide you with a pecific answer or resolution.

It's not about atheists not having faith, it's about what faith in God means, and what it implies. The truth is that there are some people who are simply too fearful or arrogant to accept God because it means they are beneath someone. Every atheist you will ever talk to will admit to being beneath no one or nothing.

It's also due to fear of lost freedoms because of experiences with churches and taking the Bible far too literally. Any atheist you will talk to uses the Bible as a weapon, which shows this in a way.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 9:54:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think people very rarely make on the spot changes regarding something as meaningful as religion (or atheism). I also think that if people do make such a snap change in positions that it is probably not the most rational change. I say this because of something that Michael Martin once wrote which I will now proceed to butcher and mutilate.

He said something to the effect that when we come across a really good argument, what we should do as rational people is to take some time to analyze it. That is to say we shouldn't just throw up our hands and say 'whelp, they're right, we might as well be theists now'. We should take some time to think about the argument, to read what others have said about it, and then come to a decision. If it turns out that the argument is compelling to you, then by all means, become a theist (or atheist or whatever). You've done your due diligence with regard to the matter.

As to your other questions - I used to be a Christian and I became an atheist as a result of stumbling across a site on Christian origins. I investigated the site and it turned out to be largely wrong, but what it did was make me take a good hard look at my faith. So I poured over philosophical arguments and the origins of Christianity and after a month I could no longer call myself a Christian. For several months (maybe a year?) after that I would pray every night for God to help me believe (or reveal himself to me, or help my reasoning, there were a variety of prayers I said). After a while I was confident in my atheism I suppose. I still find the subject fascinating though.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 10:05:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 6:34:54 AM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
My position is that, when atheists contradict themselves about what they believe and state lies in order to convince people that they are correct, we should make sure people knowhow rotten atheists and their views are when they do that.


WTF? So are you of the position that the atheist could not genuinely come to a different conclusion than you after they consider the arguments/evidence??

There is no right argument to convince an atheist because evidence is interpreted differently by all parties involved, making an objective proof of anything, even theories of science, impossible. Any evidence you come up with will simply be said to not be evidence by them, no matter what it is.


You state that atheist lie about thing and then state this - I don't see how you can believe both.

Jesus can knock on their door and perform miracles before their very eyes, and they would still try to debunk it. They simply do not want to believe.


I don't think this is true at all.

But, don't let an atheist convince you that just because they have no faith in God that their lives aren't based on faith (i.e. trust in things outside of their control).


? Why would an atheist try to convince you of this?

When you give someone $20, and they say they'll pay you back, you are giving that money on the faith that it will be returned . When you pack your lunch and go to work, you do so in faith that you will be paid for your sacrificed time and effort. When you pray to God, you are doing so out of faith that God will provide you with a pecific answer or resolution.


I'd say this has more to do with trust - which is how some Christians view 'faith'... When atheists speak of faith, it's generally blind faith.

It's not about atheists not having faith, it's about what faith in God means, and what it implies. The truth is that there are some people who are simply too fearful or arrogant to accept God because it means they are beneath someone. Every atheist you will ever talk to will admit to being beneath no one or nothing.


This is nonsense. I'll be the first to admit that there are others who are more powerful than me. The police can lock me up, the government could execute me, and shoot, I'm accountable to my wife and friends.

It's also due to fear of lost freedoms because of experiences with churches and taking the Bible far too literally. Any atheist you will talk to uses the Bible as a weapon, which shows this in a way.

Loss of freedom? You make it out to be a moral issue, which it is not, at least not for me.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:20:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Atheists convert to Christianity all the time. It is my experience that it is usually done in an act of emotional desperation. Plenty of atheists are just as superstitious as their Christian brethren as well. It isn't uncommon for people to fill in the blanks with what they are thinking rather than admit ignorance.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:31:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I converted to to theism whilst on this site, though not because of it. Whilst I didn't found any of the arguments for God's existence convincing, I also don't find any of the arguments which try to claim he can not exist convincing. I was a weak atheist. Then I had a bit of a spiritual awakening or some jazz like that. I wasn't really emotional desperation per se, though I understand where Cosmic is coming from; it was likely more rooted in the frustration of apathy.
I'm not very sure God exists, but I believe in him, not because I have good reason to, other than some quite possibly illogical part of me telling me he does, but because I want to.
I identify as a Christian because I like the whole love shtick and Jesus was a pretty funky dude.
I also enjoy theology as an area to learn about, and because my convictions aren't particularly strong, I find it quite to argue one side or another, and emphasise with both sides.
I may not have explained myself particularly
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:31:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 12:31:16 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I converted to to theism whilst on this site, though not because of it. Whilst I didn't found any of the arguments for God's existence convincing, I also don't find any of the arguments which try to claim he can not exist convincing. I was a weak atheist. Then I had a bit of a spiritual awakening or some jazz like that. I wasn't really emotional desperation per se, though I understand where Cosmic is coming from; it was likely more rooted in the frustration of apathy.
I'm not very sure God exists, but I believe in him, not because I have good reason to, other than some quite possibly illogical part of me telling me he does, but because I want to.
I identify as a Christian because I like the whole love shtick and Jesus was a pretty funky dude.
I also enjoy theology as an area to learn about, and because my convictions aren't particularly strong, I find it quite to argue one side or another, and emphasise with both sides.
I may not have explained myself particularly well, so I'm happy to answer questions
fix'd
unitedandy
Posts: 1,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:48:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 12:31:16 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I converted to to theism whilst on this site, though not because of it. Whilst I didn't found any of the arguments for God's existence convincing, I also don't find any of the arguments which try to claim he can not exist convincing. I was a weak atheist. Then I had a bit of a spiritual awakening or some jazz like that. I wasn't really emotional desperation per se, though I understand where Cosmic is coming from; it was likely more rooted in the frustration of apathy.
I'm not very sure God exists, but I believe in him, not because I have good reason to, other than some quite possibly illogical part of me telling me he does, but because I want to.
I identify as a Christian because I like the whole love shtick and Jesus was a pretty funky dude.
I also enjoy theology as an area to learn about, and because my convictions aren't particularly strong, I find it quite to argue one side or another, and emphasise with both sides.
I may not have explained myself particularly

Ha. I'm kind of the opposite. I think there are a few good arguments on both sides of the God debate, I just choose atheism because these reasons seem to me to the more compelling.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:52:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There is no rational argument to convert someone to being a worshipper of Yahweh, as has been stated. You have to wait until they are emotionally unstable - like after someone they love dies or, they are near death themselves. Then the light of Jesus will pore into our hearts (or however you put it). Unless that happens, you will just have to accept that Lord Yahwey is going to send us to Hell to be tortured for eternity despite your efforts.

By the way, most people in the world aren't atheists but rather non-Christians of a different religion. Why aren't you concerned about the souls of the Muslims, pagans, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. on this site. Instead of another "God Exists" debate, how about a debate with the resolution "Yahwey Exists; not Bhrahma", for example.

Maybe you target atheist because you don't like the idea that some people can see through religion so effortlessly.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 1:05:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 12:31:16 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I converted to to theism whilst on this site, though not because of it. Whilst I didn't found any of the arguments for God's existence convincing, I also don't find any of the arguments which try to claim he can not exist convincing. I was a weak atheist. Then I had a bit of a spiritual awakening or some jazz like that. I wasn't really emotional desperation per se, though I understand where Cosmic is coming from; it was likely more rooted in the frustration of apathy.
I'm not very sure God exists, but I believe in him, not because I have good reason to, other than some quite possibly illogical part of me telling me he does, but because I want to.
I identify as a Christian because I like the whole love shtick and Jesus was a pretty funky dude.
I also enjoy theology as an area to learn about, and because my convictions aren't particularly strong, I find it quite to argue one side or another, and emphasise with both sides.
I may not have explained myself particularly

You find apathy frustrating? Interesting. I find it to be liberating.

Anyway, I still get to care about things I want to care about... and there are probably still too many things I care about.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 1:39:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 12:48:14 PM, unitedandy wrote:
At 5/4/2012 12:31:16 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I converted to to theism whilst on this site, though not because of it. Whilst I didn't found any of the arguments for God's existence convincing, I also don't find any of the arguments which try to claim he can not exist convincing. I was a weak atheist. Then I had a bit of a spiritual awakening or some jazz like that. I wasn't really emotional desperation per se, though I understand where Cosmic is coming from; it was likely more rooted in the frustration of apathy.
I'm not very sure God exists, but I believe in him, not because I have good reason to, other than some quite possibly illogical part of me telling me he does, but because I want to.
I identify as a Christian because I like the whole love shtick and Jesus was a pretty funky dude.
I also enjoy theology as an area to learn about, and because my convictions aren't particularly strong, I find it quite to argue one side or another, and emphasise with both sides.
I may not have explained myself particularly

Ha. I'm kind of the opposite. I think there are a few good arguments on both sides of the God debate, I just choose atheism because these reasons seem to me to the more compelling.

I concede that the whole "absence of evidence" shizzle should be the most convincing argument there is, however, as already explained, that isn't a problem for me.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 1:42:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 1:05:50 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 5/4/2012 12:31:16 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I converted to to theism whilst on this site, though not because of it. Whilst I didn't found any of the arguments for God's existence convincing, I also don't find any of the arguments which try to claim he can not exist convincing. I was a weak atheist. Then I had a bit of a spiritual awakening or some jazz like that. I wasn't really emotional desperation per se, though I understand where Cosmic is coming from; it was likely more rooted in the frustration of apathy.
I'm not very sure God exists, but I believe in him, not because I have good reason to, other than some quite possibly illogical part of me telling me he does, but because I want to.
I identify as a Christian because I like the whole love shtick and Jesus was a pretty funky dude.
I also enjoy theology as an area to learn about, and because my convictions aren't particularly strong, I find it quite to argue one side or another, and emphasise with both sides.
I may not have explained myself particularly

You find apathy frustrating? Interesting. I find it to be liberating.

I'm not talking about apathy about religion or certain things. I mean pretty much everything. I still feel apathetic about most things. I find being spiritual helps. I don't deny religion is a crutch for me. I fully admit that if there were a book which said "Here is why God doesn't exist" and I knew it would prove it beyond any doubt, I wouldn't read it - atleast until I was in a psychological state in which it would be harmful.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 3:49:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It wouldn't take much to convert me to any deity-based religion. A personal, instructional visit from any supernatural entity would do. Given the powers boasted by many of these beings, it shouldn't take too much of their time or ability, really.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 4:19:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 3:49:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:
It wouldn't take much to convert me to any deity-based religion. A personal, instructional visit from any supernatural entity would do. Given the powers boasted by many of these beings, it shouldn't take too much of their time or ability, really.

If God knows your genuine longing for knowledge of him, he will make a vist to you..

just not in a way that you would expect..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 10:14:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 4:19:36 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 5/4/2012 3:49:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:
It wouldn't take much to convert me to any deity-based religion. A personal, instructional visit from any supernatural entity would do. Given the powers boasted by many of these beings, it shouldn't take too much of their time or ability, really.

If God knows your genuine longing for knowledge of him, he will make a vist to you..

just not in a way that you would expect..

dude. i suppose he is right in the way that it isn't wat you expect. but it didn't ,make me sure, but left me full of doubt, but in a sort of spiritiual way. it kind of sucks, but i guess thats where i am now.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 9:44:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 4:19:36 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 5/4/2012 3:49:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:
It wouldn't take much to convert me to any deity-based religion. A personal, instructional visit from any supernatural entity would do. Given the powers boasted by many of these beings, it shouldn't take too much of their time or ability, really.

If God knows your genuine longing for knowledge of him, he will make a vist to you..

just not in a way that you would expect..

I'm open to the idea, but "longing for knowledge" increases the chances of false positives. Contact would be a lot more effective and believable if made during an emotionally neutral state.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 9:57:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 10:14:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/4/2012 4:19:36 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 5/4/2012 3:49:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:
It wouldn't take much to convert me to any deity-based religion. A personal, instructional visit from any supernatural entity would do. Given the powers boasted by many of these beings, it shouldn't take too much of their time or ability, really.

If God knows your genuine longing for knowledge of him, he will make a vist to you..

just not in a way that you would expect..

dude. i suppose he is right in the way that it isn't wat you expect. but it didn't ,make me sure, but left me full of doubt, but in a sort of spiritiual way. it kind of sucks, but i guess thats where i am now.

I would point out that life is NOT just learning about God, but learning about ourselves. God is teaching us who we are as much as He is teaching us about who He is. (Hence, the whole Abraham/Isaac sacrifice thing)

God's interaction with people will certainly vary. From a Christian standpoint, God will speak more openly to the more humble person (Numbers chapter 12-13). God also states some people He will never visit, due to their own choices and personal humility.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 10:12:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/3/2012 11:19:58 PM, Marauder wrote:
I have recently discovered I am actually kinda cynical deep down. I debate on this site from time to time largely to have fun just being argumenative about the things I like to talk about that other people do not like religion and politics.

as a christian I get into appologetics sometimes and while I think it sharpens my saw to argue those things and I learn some about the thought tracks of those who are starting from another paradigm....I dont really believe I'm doing any good. my arguments do they ever really help even a little lead somebody to believe in God even if its just in a small way?

but there have been a few people in the past on this site that I have seen stop professing to be athiest and start claiming to be christians. the facts are uncomfortably challenging my cynicism. but to put my cynicism to death tottally I need to get to the bottem of this....of when all this supposedly happens.

if you are a christian now and was ever an athiest before WHILE on this site before you converted please tell me what caused it and if your discussions on this site had any remote influence on your change?

if you converted from an athiest though before ever having something to do with this site please tell details to your conversion too.

I herd all sorts or conversion stories on this site from thiest TOO athiest. things like...
"well I just thought about all the religions out there, theres so many"
"I'm gay and I just cant believe in a god that would send me to hell he's evil if he did exist"
"theres just no proof faith is a stupid concept"
"I got to thinking about the problem of evil
"I got to thinking about how could he make a stone so big..."
and so much other stuff I just quit bothering with this buzzkill of a site for a time.

but I've never heard what issue made people change the other way, what thing they were thinking about. if you have converted from athiest to christian, please speak about why.

is there really a right thing a person can ever argue against anthers non-belief? am I really doing good for the kingdom hear, is it true my post might not be a total waist of time but actually play a part in your souls journey to belief? because I'm starting to realize some of you have belief now when before you didn't and I've just got to know why. I've basically always had it and my relationship to God personally grew to much too early for me to ever lose my belief enough to experince not having it and then getting it back.

I would point out that I converted from a largely practical agnosticism to Christianity. I agree with Meatros it took many years and a vast number of steps.

Of key relevance to your post, many websites and forum debates have indeed guided my learning and walk and conversion to Christianity. Several people here on DDO have affected my growth and understanding.

Having said that I want to address what I believe to be your spiritual need. We all recognize the need to till the soil, plant the seeds, irrigate the field, but some of us simply need to Harvest. At a point in my life, I too needed this. Funny enough, God told me "If you want to harvest, why are you not going to the fields where harvest is ripe? You are choosing to spend time in the fields needing sowing!"

God stunned me. Hospitals, Prisons and the inner city Salvation Army.

He moved me to a Chaplaincy at a Hospital where I was virtually the only Chaplain at a 150 room Hospital (Occasional pastors visited and Priests). I assure you many were ripe for the harvest. After that experience he has now moved me to a ministry of faith building from those who are already harvested. My motivation now is to ensure the faith harvest has strong fertile soil to continue their growth. To work to affect a strong foundation of faith to those who are harvested.

A key person of note in my life would be an individual I evangelized from the Salvation Army, who has turned his life around out from Prison, drug usage and schizophrenia to a great job and getting married. I will be his 'best man' in October.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 10:20:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/4/2012 12:20:55 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Atheists convert to Christianity all the time. It is my experience that it is usually done in an act of emotional desperation. Plenty of atheists are just as superstitious as their Christian brethren as well. It isn't uncommon for people to fill in the blanks with what they are thinking rather than admit ignorance.

This. Though at the risk of "no true scotsman fallacy", I don't believe the people I personally know who became Christian were ever truly atheists. In my experience, those people rejected Christianity simply because they wanted to go out and party and live life all about themselves, and latched on to a belief in God out of desperation after hitting bottom. In other words, their nonbelief didn't stem from logical deductions, but from egotistical reasoning. Obviously this is not true of everyone, but I'm specifically thinking of people I know.
yang.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 10:25:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/3/2012 11:19:58 PM, Marauder wrote:
I have recently discovered I am actually kinda cynical deep down. I debate on this site from time to time largely to have fun just being argumenative about the things I like to talk about that other people do not like religion and politics.

as a christian I get into appologetics sometimes and while I think it sharpens my saw to argue those things and I learn some about the thought tracks of those who are starting from another paradigm....I dont really believe I'm doing any good. my arguments do they ever really help even a little lead somebody to believe in God even if its just in a small way?

but there have been a few people in the past on this site that I have seen stop professing to be athiest and start claiming to be christians. the facts are uncomfortably challenging my cynicism. but to put my cynicism to death tottally I need to get to the bottem of this....of when all this supposedly happens.

if you are a christian now and was ever an athiest before WHILE on this site before you converted please tell me what caused it and if your discussions on this site had any remote influence on your change?

if you converted from an athiest though before ever having something to do with this site please tell details to your conversion too.

I herd all sorts or conversion stories on this site from thiest TOO athiest. things like...
"well I just thought about all the religions out there, theres so many"
"I'm gay and I just cant believe in a god that would send me to hell he's evil if he did exist"
"theres just no proof faith is a stupid concept"
"I got to thinking about the problem of evil
"I got to thinking about how could he make a stone so big..."
and so much other stuff I just quit bothering with this buzzkill of a site for a time.

but I've never heard what issue made people change the other way, what thing they were thinking about. if you have converted from athiest to christian, please speak about why.

is there really a right thing a person can ever argue against anthers non-belief? am I really doing good for the kingdom hear, is it true my post might not be a total waist of time but actually play a part in your souls journey to belief? because I'm starting to realize some of you have belief now when before you didn't and I've just got to know why. I've basically always had it and my relationship to God personally grew to much too early for me to ever lose my belief enough to experince not having it and then getting it back.

Of course it happens. C.S. Lewis is a famous example. He converted from atheist to Christian because he was convinced by the intellectual arguments for Christianity. Lee Strobel is another example. He was a journalist who set out to disprove Christianity but wound up converting because he was convinced by the claims Christianity made.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 10:59:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"athiest to christian. does it happen...?"

Obviously it happens. More Christians turn to Atheism, but to claim that you could not name examples of Atheists turning to Christianity would be false.