Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Where Was God When We Landed On The Moon?

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 5:47:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f*ckin turn up and say well done." - Eddie Izzard

I don't think this is a legitimate argument against the existence of God but I do think it is interesting food for thought nonetheless.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 6:33:47 PM
Wait 10 or so years, and when we get to the red one we'll meet him...I hope...eventually..he better bloody be there.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 6:39:48 PM
Bet he'll be there with a troll face.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 6:49:15 PM
At 5/6/2012 6:39:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Bet he'll be there with a troll face.

Problem?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 7:32:54 PM
At 5/6/2012 6:33:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Wait 10 or so years, and when we get to the red one we'll meet him...I hope...eventually..he better bloody be there.

lol, u mad bro?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 7:37:45 PM
At 5/6/2012 5:47:14 PM, jat93 wrote:
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f*ckin turn up and say well done." - Eddie Izzard

I don't think this is a legitimate argument against the existence of God but I do think it is interesting food for thought nonetheless.

Did I miss the claim where God was living on the moon? or that we were invited guests to the moon?

Funny, I always thought God was in Heaven. Go figure. Maybe anti-theists do know more! *sarcasm.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 8:00:19 PM
At 5/6/2012 7:37:45 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Did I miss the claim where God was living on the moon? or that we were invited guests to the moon?

Funny, I always thought God was in Heaven. Go figure. Maybe anti-theists do know more! *sarcasm.

The funny thing is, good sir, that the majority of adherents to your religion throughout the majority of its history have thought that heaven was literally "up there somewhere" in the skies. Why else do you think the heavens are associated with being literally upwards. Before it was proven that there are planets and space and universes and whatnot (and maybe even then), it was the traditional theistic assumption that God resided really high up in the world, far over our heads. Heaven become a non-physical, "spiritual" realm only when science made the alternative impossible - like so many other religious beliefs that were forced to be adapted after science backed them into corners.

But forgetting about that, you ignore his point. I agree it's not conclusive evidence that God existed, but he literally created us on one place, and then for the first time ever in our multi-thousand year history we broke free from it and got to another place, the place that had always been known as "god's realm" beforehand. That's a pretty epic/landmark achievement, if not the most. If such an event is not a good enough justification for him breaking the silence and appearing, what in the world would be? It just seems to me that a God who wouldn't say or do anything in response to such an event is quite detached from mankind and probably not a "personal" god in the traditional theistic sense.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 8:18:14 PM
At 5/6/2012 8:00:19 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 5/6/2012 7:37:45 PM, Gileandos wrote:

The funny thing is, good sir, that the majority of adherents to your religion throughout the majority of its history have thought that heaven was literally "up there somewhere" in the skies. Why else do you think the heavens are associated with being literally upwards. Before it was proven that there are planets and space and universes and whatnot (and maybe even then), it was the traditional theistic assumption that God resided really high up in the world, far over our heads. Heaven become a non-physical, "spiritual" realm only when science made the alternative impossible - like so many other religious beliefs that were forced to be adapted after science backed them into corners.

You would be inaccurate about the theological beliefs of ancient Judaism and Christianity.
There are three heavens. Sky, Stars/planets and God's transcendent dwelling. Google three heavens in the Bible and feel free to study away.
http://www.cupofwrath.com...

But forgetting about that, you ignore his point. I agree it's not conclusive evidence that God existed, but he literally created us on one place, and then for the first time ever in our multi-thousand year history we broke free from it and got to another place, the place that had always been known as "god's realm" beforehand. That's a pretty epic/landmark achievement, if not the most. If such an event is not a good enough justification for him breaking the silence and appearing, what in the world would be? It just seems to me that a God who wouldn't say or do anything in response to such an event is quite detached from mankind and probably not a "personal" god in the traditional theistic sense.

1:That presupposes God is/has been silent. I assure you He has not.
2:God expressly stated after the watchers fall at the Tower of Babel, that God had to restrict humans until they had more knowledge otherwise they could accomplish anything they wanted.
3:The accomplishments of humanity should move God why? The ant makes it to the other side of the lake and states! "What an impossible feat!" Perspective man.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2012 8:40:27 PM
At 5/6/2012 6:33:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

The Fool: And then when we pass saturn we can Grab that "Tea Cup" as well.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 1:17:42 AM

Well, aside from bringing back a few hundred pounds of building materials, I don't see what this has done to make life any different than the 99.9999999999999999% of people who have lived or will ever live on Earth.

Scientists will be the first to brag about things that mean next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's funny to see that someone to throw criticism at God because it doesn't wave the dogmatic flag of science.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 1:54:22 AM
At 5/7/2012 1:17:42 AM, cbrhawk1 wrote:

Well, aside from bringing back a few hundred pounds of building materials, I don't see what this has done to make life any different than the 99.9999999999999999% of people who have lived or will ever live on Earth.

Scientists will be the first to brag about things that mean next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's funny to see that someone to throw criticism at God because it doesn't wave the dogmatic flag of science.

The Fool: I can remember can you remind me what dogmatic means again? And why this principle is asserted to "scientists"?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 4:20:49 AM
The Fool: I can remember can you remind me what dogmatic means again? And why this principle is asserted to "scientists"?

No problem
dogma
3. prescribed doctrine proclaimed as unquestionably true by a particular group: the difficulty of resisting political dogma. (dictionary.com)

This is exactly how many people, even non-atheists, talk about science. They talk about the process as perfect and unquestionably true in that everyone should go by its processes of eliminating subjectivity. This is what makes science actually more dogmatic than God since there is not one way to have faith in God, and there is no specific and unified doctorine. It's all up to the individual.

Now, try to replace God with science in those sentences. What would the average person think if I said science was open to the interpretation of the individual? I guarantee you will get a lot more harsh critics from those who wave the dogmatic flag of science than of any religion or person who loves God.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
j_lowe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 8:46:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago

What if our scientific achievements (including making it to the moon) are immaterial to God? Perhaps he places his priorities differently than we do? Perhaps the advancement of our technological culture does not impress nearly as much as the moral decay of the world disgusts?

It comes down to how you measure value, which is a question for philosophy not science. And also assuming the existence of God, it is a question of how he measures value.

It really all depends on perspective. I place the moon landing well behind the Emancipation Proclamation, the Civil Rights Movement, Indian self rule, the discovery of zero and so on.... just not that important in the grand scheme. It was really more symbolic than anything. Which begs the question symbolic of what?

One last thought on the subject and I will leave it alone. Those things that I placed as being of more importance than the moon landing (the abolition of slavery, the civil rights movement, Indian self rule, and the discovery of zero) all have a religious significance. They were all done by men who believed in God and saw meaning for their actions in light of this.

These men all experienced God while doing things that changed the course of human history for the better. These men all wrote about their experiences and conception of God. Perhaps if we want to see where God interacts with man and reveals himself to us we should look at these types of things. I put forward that in realizing our own nothingness (the reason zero was invented) and in working to elevate the positions of those less fortunate than ourselves it is possible for a man to interact with God.

I tend to agree with one previous commenter who said the symbolism of the moon landing is actually very similar to the Tower of Babel. Perhaps our self pride in our scientific rational discoveries preclude it being an area where God reveals himself to man.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 9:06:12 AM
Wise first post. Gentleman, we must provide a proper welcome for this DDO sage!
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:31:26 PM
God has set out far greater challenges for mankind than planet-hopping. For instance, if someone could figure out how to make my beloved Cubbies win a World Series, then I think that will impress Him.
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:40:59 PM

I'm just curious how, besides in scope, making it to the Moon is any different than making it across the ocean.