Jump to topic:

Love

asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 12:26:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I recently just came back from a church camp which was centered around this verse:

"This is real love-not that we loved God but that He loved us and sent His only son to be sacrificed for our sins. Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other. No one has seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us and His love is brought to full expression is us."
-1 John 10-12

I really like this verse, because it tells you how you can pass on God's amazing love by loving others.(:
I'm asian.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 12:35:02 PM
At 8/2/2009 12:26:36 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:
I recently just came back from a church camp which was centered around this verse:

"This is real love-not that we loved God but that He loved us and sent His only son to be sacrificed for our sins. Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other. No one has seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us and His love is brought to full expression is us."
-1 John 10-12

I really like this verse, because it tells you how you can pass on God's amazing love by loving others.(:

...Assuming God exists. hang on until I get the Atheists gang to finish off whatever minuscule hope of "salvation "you have
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 1:00:35 PM
...Assuming God exists. hang on until I get the Atheists gang to finish off whatever minuscule hope of "salvation "you have

Try and prove me wrong.
I'm asian.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 1:02:14 PM
At 8/2/2009 1:00:35 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:

Try and prove me wrong.

Okay. Describe your belief on:

A) The qualities of your god.
B) The way your god created the universe.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 1:02:15 PM
At 8/2/2009 1:00:35 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:

Try and prove me wrong.

I could, if you told me the characteristics and attributes of God.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 1:52:10 PM
The purpose of this thread is not to debate the existence of God. OP has decided to post a topic about a particular Bible thread about love. For what reason has this thread been derailed into yet another atheist-theist spat? Just because a bible quote is in the opening post?

We need to differentiate between useless garbage and actual contributions. Not all religious posts are spam. We're just accustomed to it from a certain troll.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 2:06:15 PM
Was that really called for, john >.>?
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:08:48 PM
At 8/2/2009 2:29:53 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Absorutery

Romeone john, that was rearry, rearry rad of ru. Ru should rearry apolorise.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:09:16 PM

-1 John 10-12

The idea that you should love everyone, ought to, simply because they exist is a disgusting notion, bereft of any worth - when it comes to you as a person saying I love you, what possible value can a person obtain form it when there is no requirement other than existence. If you say this to a particular someone who you hold dear, what value is there when they are no more special than over 6 billion others?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:13:33 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:09:16 PM, Puck wrote:

-1 John 10-12

The idea that you should love everyone, ought to, simply because they exist is a disgusting notion, bereft of any worth - when it comes to you as a person saying I love you, what possible value can a person obtain form it when there is no requirement other than existence. If you say this to a particular someone who you hold dear, what value is there when they are no more special than over 6 billion others?

Now this discussion is getting somewhere >:D

I didn't think of that at first, but reading Puck's post, I completely agree. The very reason why we value love is that it true love is very difficult to find. Loving everyone is the same as loving no one. Besides, what is really meant by the commandment to love all man? How would you go about following that rule in a practical manner?

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:14:43 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:08:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Absorutery

Said Scooby Doo to the Otaku :P

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:16:20 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:14:43 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Absorutery

Where'd scooby doo come from?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:20:34 PM
Ignoring the "respectable" members above, this is an interesting point that I believe a lot of Christians never take to. They believe that they must show off their own prowess in praying or charity or theology - they never think that by loving others, they're really passing on God's love, and furthering their cause. I would like to see more Christians be like that, instead of constantly attacking, belittling and overall being douches.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:22:04 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:20:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
Ignoring the "respectable" members above

When I said this, I was referring to Panda and John's Asian linguistics lesson. I didn't realize this went into a second page - sorry!
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:23:51 PM
Ignoring the "respectable" members above, this is an interesting point that I believe a lot of Christians never take to. They believe that they must show off their own prowess in praying or charity or theology - they never think that by loving others, they're really passing on God's love, and furthering their cause. I would like to see more Christians be like that, instead of constantly attacking, belittling and overall being douches.

They're supposed to kill nonbelievers.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:25:40 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:23:51 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

No no, that was the old scary God, before Jesus. Now they're all loving and friendly, "He died for you," etc. They want to make friends, then kill you for not believing.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:27:09 PM

As seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:29:36 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:27:09 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

As seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Or here:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:32:08 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:25:40 PM, Volkov wrote:

No no, that was the old scary God, before Jesus. Now they're all loving and friendly, "He died for you," etc. They want to make friends, then kill you for not believing.

Oh right, I forgot about that. Must keep my guard up.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:39:43 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:16:20 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Absorutery

The traditional racist gag would be to switch "L" and "R". You just switched whatever you could with "R", just like Scooby Doo does.

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:41:08 PM
"So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. And most fortunate of all are those who were never born."
-Ecclesiastes 4:2-3a
God's amazing love.

Read Ecclesiastes. Best book ever.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 4:46:20 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:41:08 PM, wjmelements wrote:
"So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. And most fortunate of all are those who were never born."
God's amazing love.

Why don't you kill yourself then?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 6:14:40 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:46:20 PM, Nags wrote:
God's amazing love.

Fear of death, I suppose.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 7:05:12 PM
At 8/2/2009 6:14:40 PM, wjmelements wrote:
God's amazing love.

"People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. Yeah, I guess it is a friend..."
- Jim Morrison.
asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 9:49:20 PM
Hahaha John, very funny..>.>
You should totally check out engrish.com

And I think that when God says that he wants us to love one another, I think that doesnt nesscarily mean LOVINGG everyone, but rather just showing acts of kindness and grace towards that person. Even if they are your enemy. So if I think that it is saying that you should pass on God's love by loving others and giving them acts of kindness. Because what Puck said is true; if we loved everyone with our whole heart, then having a dearly loved one would be useless.
I'm asian.
asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 9:51:14 PM
At 8/2/2009 4:39:43 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 8/2/2009 4:16:20 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Absorutery

The traditional racist gag would be to switch "L" and "R". You just switched whatever you could with "R", just like Scooby Doo does.

www.engrish.com

They're hilarious.
I'm asian.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2009 1:44:36 AM
At 8/2/2009 9:49:20 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:

And I think that when God says that he wants us to love one another, I think that doesnt nesscarily mean LOVINGG everyone, but rather just showing acts of kindness and grace towards that person. Even if they are your enemy. So if I think that it is saying that you should pass on God's love by loving others and giving them acts of kindness. Because what Puck said is true; if we loved everyone with our whole heart, then having a dearly loved one would be useless.

Which has as much value as the prior interpretation - if one is your enemy, it stands they are that for the system of values you adhere to - exchanging becomes immoral, seeking to love the person intent on your destruction is a worthless virtue that has the precise outcome of lowering your life, your standards, your happiness for no purpose. As worse the typical pressured guilt exhibited by those of faith when you dare not to, speaks volumes of the intent behind the message that you must be slave to everyone but your own worth, need and end.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2009 3:46:32 AM
At 8/2/2009 6:14:40 PM, wjmelements wrote:
God's amazing love.

That's what I find with Christians. They fear death, so they turn to the belief that an afterlife exists, so they don't die. of course, nothing is free, so they must be uber good to get into it. I don't really fear death.