Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Worst Argument From The Other Side

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 12:00:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just post the absolute worst serious argument you've heard from a theist, if you're an atheist; or an atheist, if you're a theist.

Try not to get into senseless squabbles about Muhammad's awkward sexual exploits... This is just for fun.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 12:17:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have several.

"I used to be an atheist"

"Microevolution is true but macroevolution is impossible because we cant observe macroevolution and therefore its not science"

"Trees/life/universe is proof of God".
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 12:25:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
lol @ the last one, this Hispanic lady made me stare at her baby to prove to me that god existed.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 12:29:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 12:25:33 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
lol @ the last one, this Hispanic lady made me stare at her baby to prove to me that god existed.

Its the equivalent of saying "Lightning is proof of Zues".
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 1:27:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 12:00:47 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Just post the absolute worst serious argument you've heard from a theist, if you're an atheist; or an atheist, if you're a theist.

Try not to get into senseless squabbles about Muhammad's awkward sexual exploits... This is just for fun.

Get a lot of stupid arguments every day in online communities.

The most stupid arguments are ones that refer to the Bible to disprove God.

I really can't think of a specific example, will have to sift through verything in my head to remember the most stupid reference I have ever had.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 1:55:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 1:27:34 AM, cbrhawk1 wrote:

Get a lot of stupid arguments every day in online communities.

The most stupid arguments are ones that refer to the Bible to disprove God.

I really can't think of a specific example, will have to sift through verything in my head to remember the most stupid reference I have ever had.

Thanks for the laconic and noteworthy contribution.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 2:04:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 1:55:32 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/12/2012 1:27:34 AM, cbrhawk1 wrote:

Get a lot of stupid arguments every day in online communities.

The most stupid arguments are ones that refer to the Bible to disprove God.

I really can't think of a specific example, will have to sift through verything in my head to remember the most stupid reference I have ever had.

Thanks for the laconic and noteworthy contribution.

Anytime, bud :).
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
boss1592
Posts: 80
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 8:46:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"There's a God... can't you see there's a God? Look at all the trees and clouds, look around, how can you say there isn't a God?"

Pretty much that
Jon1
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 1:53:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 12:17:50 AM, tkubok wrote:
I have several.

"I used to be an atheist"

"Microevolution is true but macroevolution is impossible because we cant observe macroevolution and therefore its not science"

"Trees/life/universe is proof of God".

That one seems quite attention-grabbing since a lot of atheist been theists but not so many theists have been atheists.
Jon1
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 1:56:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"What if you believe in the wrong faith?" Don't get me started with this one

"But, Jesus was unique!" He wasn't, not totally (I don't buy the whole "He never existed" concept)
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 2:14:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Tides go in tides go out , never a miscommunication."

"All this couldn't have arose from chance."

"The universe must have had a cause, and that cause is God."
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 2:51:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 1:53:58 PM, Jon1 wrote:
At 5/12/2012 12:17:50 AM, tkubok wrote:
I have several.

"I used to be an atheist"

"Microevolution is true but macroevolution is impossible because we cant observe macroevolution and therefore its not science"

"Trees/life/universe is proof of God".

That one seems quite attention-grabbing since a lot of atheist been theists but not so many theists have been atheists.

It doesnt have to be true, since its just an appeal to emotions or authority. Kirk Cameron uses it, Lee strobel uses it. Its fairly common.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 3:02:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 2:58:44 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
God isnt real cause my uncle has cancer (the one who smoked for 50 years?? yeah,thats the one. Hmmmmmm).

God is real because my uncles cancer dissapeared(The one who smoked for 50 years)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 5:34:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Religious people are stupid, irrational, anti-science, immoral, and willfully ignorant - yurhurr, didn't yoo hear that atheists have higher IQs? - therefore God doesn't exist."
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 5:40:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 2:14:34 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

"Tides go in tides go out , never a miscommunication."

Yeah, I love that one! Neil deGrasse Tyson intellectually eviscerates it.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 6:32:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"I'd rather believe in Jesus and find out I'm wrong than not believe in Jesus and find out I'm wrong." (Pascal's wager)

"Some things can not be explained by science. Take for example, rainbows. Rainbows are a mystery and you can not touch them, just like god. Despite this fact, they are still there even though there is no scientific explanation for them. So next time you find yourself doubting your faith, think of god as a rainbow. I know that this can be a difficult concept for some of you to grasp. It is just like air you can't see it but you know its there."

"You believe that an explosion caused this beautiful universe! You must be a fool to believe such an idiotic statement without proof!"

(note: if you don't know what's wrong with that, read this http://www.talkorigins.org... )

"It takes more faith to be an atheist than a Theist! You can't prove God doesn't exist; therefore, you have blind faith!"

(Note: the BoP is not on me, it is on the Theist. This is called the null hypothesis).
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 7:07:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"(Note: the BoP is not on me, it is on the Theist. This is called the null hypothesis)."
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 8:11:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 5:40:35 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/12/2012 2:14:34 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

"Tides go in tides go out , never a miscommunication."

Yeah, I love that one! Neil deGrasse Tyson intellectually eviscerates it.


Do you konw what Bill Oreilys response to this was? he said "Yeah, we know how the tides come in and out, but we dont know why its like that. Why the universe is the way it is".

What a goddamn stupid lying copout answer.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 10:58:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Can god make a rock so big he cant move it?, this paradox means he cant exist"

an athiest I.Q drops 20 points in my view if they seriously turn to the rock argument.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 11:15:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"If there's no God, how do you explain this voice in my head, huh? Did you ever think of that, you wacko atheists?"

I love this one.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 11:15:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 7:07:48 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
"I struggle to believe you are actually Apollo" - them right before I shoot them full of arrows

That's about when I took an arrow to the knee.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 12:03:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 11:15:27 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2012 7:07:48 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
"I struggle to believe you are actually Apollo" - them right before I shoot them full of arrows

That's about when I took an arrow to the knee.


This video is the only thing I have to say regarding your joke.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 1:29:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/12/2012 5:34:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
"Religious people are stupid, irrational, anti-science, immoral, and willfully ignorant - yurhurr, didn't yoo hear that atheists have higher IQs? - therefore God doesn't exist."

I don't know about the anti-science part or the immoral part, but as a sweeping generalisation "religious people are stupid, irrational and wilfully ignorant" isn't so bad... I wouldn't use it as an argument against God though.

I don't find any arguments for a particular God remotely persuasive (some for a general God are OK I suppose) but the more fallacious the worse.

Having said that, I probably use fallacy all the time. I'm just a hypocrite I suppose.

Still don't buy Christianity. :/
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 3:06:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"No, I can't prove that the world rests on four world-elephants supported by a cosmic turtle, but you can't disprove it either. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 3:16:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 3:06:12 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
"No, I can't prove that the world rests on four world-elephants supported by a cosmic turtle, but you can't disprove it either. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Discworld?

"YOU CANT DISPROVE GOD SO HE MUST EXIST BLARGBLARGBLARG!!!111!!1!!"
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush