Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Islam vs. Christianity

lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 12:27:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You know both of these groups bitterly hate eachother but what I don't get is that when they're worshiping the same guy. I mean if I'm Roman Catholic and the ginger bread man and I can figure this out then how come all these other idots can't figure this Sh*t out.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 12:29:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 12:27:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:
You know both of these groups bitterly hate eachother but what I don't get is that when they're worshiping the same guy. I mean if I'm Roman Catholic and the ginger bread man and I can figure this out then how come all these other idots can't figure this Sh*t out.

Christianity and Islam are not the same religion worshiping the same god.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 12:31:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
They are from the same family of Abraham and they worship one God (Alah) and we worship Yahwey. People can have several nicknames.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 1:18:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 12:31:50 PM, lannan13 wrote:
They are from the same family of Abraham and they worship one God (Alah) and we worship Yahwey. People can have several nicknames.

Just because you worship one God doesn't mean you worship the same God as someone else.

Christians: Jesus is God. And so is Yahweh and the Holy Spirit.
Muslims: Jesus is not God. Allah is the only God. Muhammed is their prophet.

How is that the same.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 1:20:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 1:18:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/14/2012 12:31:50 PM, lannan13 wrote:
They are from the same family of Abraham and they worship one God (Alah) and we worship Yahwey. People can have several nicknames.

Just because you worship one God doesn't mean you worship the same God as someone else.

Christians: Jesus is God. And so is Yahweh and the Holy Spirit.
Muslims: Jesus is not God. Allah is the only God. Muhammed is their prophet.

How is that the same.

I think this is nothing more than the lines of "Abrahamic" God. The God is essentially the Jewish God, but I get your point.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 1:30:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 1:20:07 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 5/14/2012 1:18:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just because you worship one God doesn't mean you worship the same God as someone else.

Christians: Jesus is God. And so is Yahweh and the Holy Spirit.
Muslims: Jesus is not God. Allah is the only God. Muhammed is their prophet.

How is that the same.

I think this is nothing more than the lines of "Abrahamic" God.

The what? How does that explain away the distinctions I just made.

The God is essentially the Jewish God

I think Muslims and Christians would disagree.

.
.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 1:44:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 1:18:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just because you worship one God doesn't mean you worship the same God as someone else.

Christians: Jesus is God. And so is Yahweh and the Holy Spirit.
Muslims: Jesus is not God. Allah is the only God. Muhammed is their prophet.

How is that the same.
Uh, by that logic the trinity is entirely impossible. Jesus isn't regarded as an external being by the Christians, hence the concept of God has nothing to do with Jesus whatsoever. Muslims and Christians have almost no different views on the concept of God. They only differ in certain regards, but that has more to do with interpretation of scriptures rather than having various concepts of God.

Consider this: I and Person X believe in the same philosophical God (omnipotent, etc.). However, I think God would be willing to create aliens sometime in the future, who would visit our planet (hypothetically). Person X totally disagrees, and believes that God would never create a life-form better than humankind.

Does this mean I and Person X have a different concept of God? Absolutely not. It's an issue of understanding the functions of God, not much else.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 1:53:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 1:44:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/14/2012 1:18:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just because you worship one God doesn't mean you worship the same God as someone else.

Christians: Jesus is God. And so is Yahweh and the Holy Spirit.
Muslims: Jesus is not God. Allah is the only God. Muhammed is their prophet.

How is that the same.
Uh, by that logic the trinity is entirely impossible. Jesus isn't regarded as an external being by the Christians, hence the concept of God has nothing to do with Jesus whatsoever.

I have no idea what youre trying to say but the fact remains: Christians believe that Jesus, Yahweh, Holy Spirit = God.

Muslims and Christians have almost no different views on the concept of God.

I don't remember the last time I seen a Muslim pray to Jesus or the Holy Spirit.

They only differ in certain regards, but that has more to do with interpretation of scriptures rather than having various concepts of God.

Consider this: I and Person X believe in the same philosophical God (omnipotent, etc.). However, I think God would be willing to create aliens sometime in the future, who would visit our planet (hypothetically). Person X totally disagrees, and believes that God would never create a life-form better than humankind.

Does this mean I and Person X have a different concept of God? Absolutely not. It's an issue of understanding the functions of God, not much else.

Here's where youre confused. Same concept of God =/= same God.

Yes, we know the what, Christians and Muslims agree on the what, but they disagree on the who.

We have the same concept of human, but that doesn't mean they're all the same. Basically I'm saying "Ghandi and Stalin are two different people" and youre saying "no theyre not, they both have two arms, two legs, and a brain. Same concept, they are the same."

.
.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 1:55:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 1:30:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/14/2012 1:20:07 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 5/14/2012 1:18:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just because you worship one God doesn't mean you worship the same God as someone else.

Christians: Jesus is God. And so is Yahweh and the Holy Spirit.
Muslims: Jesus is not God. Allah is the only God. Muhammed is their prophet.

How is that the same.

I think this is nothing more than the lines of "Abrahamic" God.

The what? How does that explain away the distinctions I just made.

The God is essentially the Jewish God

I think Muslims and Christians would disagree.


I said I got your point Geo. :P



.
.
.
.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 2:08:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 1:53:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I have no idea what youre trying to say but the fact remains: Christians believe that Jesus, Yahweh, Holy Spirit = God.
Jesus isn't regarded as a wholly separate entity by the Christians. He is deemed as God incarnate. This changes nothing about the concept of God, NOR the belief in the exact same God.

I don't remember the last time I seen a Muslim pray to Jesus or the Holy Spirit.
Again, Christians regard them as part of God - not external beings with no connection to God.

Here's where youre confused. Same concept of God =/= same God.

Yes, we know the what, Christians and Muslims agree on the what, but they disagree on the who.

We have the same concept of human, but that doesn't mean they're all the same. Basically I'm saying "Ghandi and Stalin are two different people" and youre saying "no theyre not, they both have two arms, two legs, and a brain. Same concept, they are the same."
There's a major flaw in your argument. Human beings are differentiated by their minds, not just bodies. Also, the kind of God Muslims and Christians believe in cannot be different by nature, so it's impossible to believe in two kinds of the same concept of God. You can't have two maximally great beings.

Again, your argument is simply that Muslims don't worship Jesus, hence Christians have belief in a different God. This is false.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 2:49:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A lot of people in the world worship the same God. If they disagree vehemently about the nature of God, however, it can lead to great divisions.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 3:08:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We Muslims (and Jews) believe that the concept of God is erroneous in Christianity and we are concepts of God are worlds apart.
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 3:15:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
People are blinded because in life we must have an enemy. In the 1000's the Pope picked the Muslums and that's how we have the problem that we do today.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 3:35:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 3:15:54 PM, lannan13 wrote:
People are blinded because in life we must have an enemy. In the 1000's the Pope
picked the Muslums and that's how we have the problem that we do today.

Possibly. However the Middle East (home to 20% of the world's Muslims) could have ended up becoming a very critical area regardless, and that could have caused tensions anyway.

I don't really feel a lot of the division between Muslims and Christians is due to the Crusades. That might just be me, though.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 3:41:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
'You know both of these groups bitterly hate eachother'

Who have said that Muslims and Christians bitterly hate each other? Sure, there are some Muslims and Christians which hate each other, but not all of them do. In fact, there are many Muslims and Christians which love each other. Islam and Christianity are not so different from each other and share a lot of belief, like the belief of the same abrahamic God. The differences should just be accepted and respected.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 4:10:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 3:15:54 PM, lannan13 wrote:
People are blinded because in life we must have an enemy. In the 1000's the Pope picked the Muslums and that's how we have the problem that we do today.

Lol! Check your history: the Muslims invaded first.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2012 4:15:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
First, we do not bitterly hate eachother. I know several Muslims, and while we disagreed, I don't want to kill them.

Like in most groups/beliefs/societies, there are always some annoying @$$holes that are the loudest, most annoying, and make the most headlines, that give the overall group a bad impression.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 7:07:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
it is actually in the Iranian constitution that it must destroy the big satan the U.S. and the little satan in Israel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 7:19:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 7:07:48 AM, lannan13 wrote:
it is actually in the Iranian constitution that it must destroy the big satan the U.S. and the little satan in Israel

Really? I don't see that anywhere...
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:23:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://ffcoalition.com...
Keep in mind this is an Iranian comander stating this
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
inferno
Posts: 10,660
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:33:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 12:27:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:
You know both of these groups bitterly hate eachother but what I don't get is that when they're worshiping the same guy. I mean if I'm Roman Catholic and the ginger bread man and I can figure this out then how come all these other idots can't figure this Sh*t out.

Religions are man made insitutions created for the purpose of societal organization, domination, and power. I think you are not serious about your awe inspiring ignorance here.
Are you.
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 10:51:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/14/2012 12:27:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:
You know both of these groups bitterly hate eachother...

No I don't know that. The largst Christian population lives in South America - and they are all close to Islamic countries. Christians and Muslims enjoy excellent relations over Asia and Africa (with few exceptions).

If a Muslim hates Christians around him, or if a Christian hates Muslims, either their is some problem with their own faith or they are badly misinformed.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 11:03:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:33:23 AM, inferno wrote:
At 5/14/2012 12:27:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:
You know both of these groups bitterly hate eachother but what I don't get is that when they're worshiping the same guy. I mean if I'm Roman Catholic and the ginger bread man and I can figure this out then how come all these other idots can't figure this Sh*t out.

Religions are man made insitutions created for the purpose of societal organization, domination, and power. I think you are not serious about your awe inspiring ignorance here.
Are you.

Was this an inferno post? Wow, it was actually insightful :)
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 12:07:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Check the facts B*tch
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 12:37:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 10:33:23 AM, inferno wrote:
Religions are man made insitutions created for the purpose of societal organization, domination, and power.

____________ are man made institutions created for the purpose of societal organization, domination, and power.
A) Governments
B) Religions
C) Philosophies
D) Economies
E) All of the Above.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 12:42:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 12:37:15 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
____________ are man made institutions created for the purpose of societal organization, domination, and power.
A) Governments
B) Religions
C) Philosophies
D) Economies

E) All of the Above.

No.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 5:35:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 12:42:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/15/2012 12:37:15 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
____________ are man made institutions created for the purpose of societal organization, domination, and power.
A) Governments
B) Religions
C) Philosophies
D) Economies

E) All of the Above.

No.

Economies/Philosophies: Socialism/Communism
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 12:10:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/16/2012 4:25:23 PM, anit-Royal wrote:
socialism is more better than capitolism
Yes, at spreading misery.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.