Jump to topic:

Satisfaction

animpossiblepossibility
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 9:36:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have a simple question. Is it possible to find true satisfaction in life? I don't think you can, but I don't consider myself very knowledgeable in this area, so I want to see what you guys think.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 9:39:14 PM
Yur gonna havta define "satisfaction".
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 9:41:27 PM
At 8/6/2009 9:36:55 PM, animpossiblepossibility wrote:
I have a simple question. Is it possible to find true satisfaction in life? I don't think you can, but I don't consider myself very knowledgeable in this area, so I want to see what you guys think.

Yeah, it is.

But I think it is much harder to achieve true satisfaction if you think about it.

People who are truly satisfied don't worry about philosophical questions like this. They are care-free and worry-free.

I'd rather be knowledgable than the saying: "ignorance is bliss".
animpossiblepossibility
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 11:07:27 PM
satisfaction- fulfillment or gratification of a desire, need, or appetite

Well, I look at it this way: Say true satisfaction for me was to earn a million dollars. Over time I earn it. Am I then truly satisfied in life? Not really. I mean, if I have the possibility of earning more money, I will take it. It becomes circular because I will never satisfy my want for more and more money.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 11:11:28 PM
SURE: Jesus Christ.

THE Way..
THE Truth..
THE Life..

That means..

EVERYTHING else is the WRONG way, a LIE and DEATH. EVERYTHING.
The Cross.. the Cross.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 11:14:45 PM
At 8/6/2009 11:07:27 PM, animpossiblepossibility wrote:

Well, I look at it this way: Say true satisfaction for me was to earn a million dollars. Over time I earn it. Am I then truly satisfied in life? Not really. I mean, if I have the possibility of earning more money, I will take it. It becomes circular because I will never satisfy my want for more and more money.

There's your problem right there. You don't even know what will bring you true gratification to begin with. This always happens. You can have all the riches, all the houses, the best job, the hottest girl, and have made it to the big time, yet you will still feel empty and unfulfilled at the end of it all. That's because you won't find true fulfillment from gaining material items. You will get an instant, yet short lived satisfaction, sure, but you won't have any true lasting fulfillment.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2009 11:22:39 PM
At 8/6/2009 11:14:45 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/6/2009 11:07:27 PM, animpossiblepossibility wrote:

There's your problem right there. You don't even know what will bring you true gratification to begin with. This always happens. You can have all the riches, all the houses, the best job, the hottest girl, and have made it to the big time, yet you will still feel empty and unfulfilled at the end of it all. That's because you won't find true fulfillment from gaining material items. You will get an instant, yet short lived satisfaction, sure, but you won't have any true lasting fulfillment.

true satisfaction - true fulfillment or true gratification of a desire, need, or appetite

Well first of all, "more money" is not something you can satisfy by definition. Just look at it. "I desire more money" is an infinite goal, you'll always want more volume at a quicker rate, and that's simply not possible (if we assume PPP stays constant) . For desires like these, yes, there's no such thing as satisfaction.

But yes, there are desires that can be "truly satisfied".
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 3:07:48 AM
Money, success, sex, love, fame, food etc etc..

ALL trying to fix a supernatural deficit via natural means..
The Cross.. the Cross.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 4:16:21 AM

Wouldn't true satisfaction be boring? Why would you want to be satisfied?
So prove me wrong, then.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 5:50:10 AM
I echoes the sentiments expressed above.

They say "people who know nothing are the happiest".

This is true. Some people are quite content sit around all day watching soap operas and Jerry Springer on TV - provided they have a can of beer, a packet of ciggies and a bucket of fried chicken next to them, they are perfectly satisfied.

They wouldn't be any happier sunbathing on the fore-deck of a luxury yacht whilst being served vintage champagne and a selection of exotic canapés.

How lucky they are!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
animpossiblepossibility
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 7:36:21 AM
At 8/7/2009 4:16:21 AM, regebro wrote:

Wouldn't true satisfaction be boring? Why would you want to be satisfied?

I just think its important to set goals in life and to go about achieving them. I'll turn the question around to you, why would you want to be discontent?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 8:59:00 AM
At 8/7/2009 5:50:10 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I echoes the sentiments expressed above.

They say "people who know nothing are the happiest".

This is true. Some people are quite content sit around all day watching soap operas and Jerry Springer on TV - provided they have a can of beer, a packet of ciggies and a bucket of fried chicken next to them, they are perfectly satisfied.

They wouldn't be any happier sunbathing on the fore-deck of a luxury yacht whilst being served vintage champagne and a selection of exotic canapés.

How lucky they are!

Except who's paying for it all?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 9:49:10 AM
If you take satisfaction from religion, then DAT is right for once - the way the truth and the life and Jesus is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you take satisfaction from sex, drugs, and rock and roll, then Jesus isn't gonna do you any good at all.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 6:24:39 PM

I would think the real "satisfaction" in life would be that there is no real satisfaction, at least not in the way of "finding satisfaction for life."

Our goal in life is to satisfy ourselves, and well, it is impossible to be completely satisfied. You'll always have regrets and grievances, and you'll always want more.

And because of that drive to always try to attain satisfaction, at least temporary satisfaction, you'll always have fulfillment and you'll always want to go to new places, experience new things and build your life. Isn't that kind of satisfying?
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 8:33:02 PM
At 8/7/2009 3:07:48 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Money, success, sex, love, fame, food etc etc..

ALL trying to fix a supernatural deficit via natural means..

you mean all we had to do was listen to Santana?!
http://rockandrolltrain.files.wordpress.com...
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 2:37:56 PM
At 8/7/2009 9:49:10 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
If you take satisfaction from religion, then DAT is right for once - the way the truth and the life and Jesus is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you take satisfaction from sex, drugs, and rock and roll, then Jesus isn't gonna do you any good at all.

But they don't satisfy do they? That's why they either kill themselves or clean up..
like Mick Jagger said..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 4:22:06 PM
honestly, i think the majority of real satisfaction comes from the journey pursuing that satisfactoin, instead of the destination
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 4:28:10 PM

Since this is under religion.
Read Ecclesiastes:
What do people get for all their hard work? Generations come and go, but nothing really changes. The sun rises and sets and hurries around to rise again. The wind blows south and north, here and there, twisting back and forth, getting nowhere. The rivers run into the seas, but the sea is never full.Then the water returns agin to the rivers and flows again to the sea. Everything is so weary and tiresome! No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.
-Ecclesiastes 1:3-8

I usually add to the end: "No matter how much we do, we are never done."

Why, yes, there is philosophy in the bible.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2009 2:17:29 AM
At 8/8/2009 4:28:10 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Since this is under religion.
Read Ecclesiastes:
What do people get for all their hard work? Generations come and go, but nothing really changes. The sun rises and sets and hurries around to rise again. The wind blows south and north, here and there, twisting back and forth, getting nowhere. The rivers run into the seas, but the sea is never full.Then the water returns agin to the rivers and flows again to the sea. Everything is so weary and tiresome! No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.
-Ecclesiastes 1:3-8

I usually add to the end: "No matter how much we do, we are never done."

Why, yes, there is philosophy in the bible.

Nice work; Bravo!
The Cross.. the Cross.