Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

God, Atheists & Evil

Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 10:59:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
While some atheists use evil, suffering, children having their limbs ripped of by lions, justin bieber etc to argue against the existence of God and some theists arguing these things don't disprove God as they cite moral sufficient reason, Gods ways are mysterious etc there is a certain irony here...

The atheist gives God the greatest exoneration for God for allowing various things to happen or not doing certain things, and that's that God does not exist, and what could make God more blameless than not existing, who could ever convict a God of wrong doing who doesn't exist ? And I just find that hilarious.

Embrace the absurdity.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 11:17:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it's safe to say that God does with his own Uiverse what he wants to do, quite literally. Moral laws are not for God, they are for us. Saying that it is unfair that God takes people from the Earth is to take a position despite lack of understanding, which is what gets us into trouble with religions in the first place.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 11:22:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/20/2012 11:17:29 AM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
I think it's safe to say that God does with his own Uiverse what he wants to do, quite literally. Moral laws are not for God, they are for us. Saying that it is unfair that God takes people from the Earth is to take a position despite lack of understanding, which is what gets us into trouble with religions in the first place.

Yeah but that doesn't hold much value, you can't put God up on a pedestal then have that same God as like, hey I made you, I can break you, shut up, I do what I want, when I want, how I want, I am the Lord.......B*tch, oh by the way, arn't I great ? tell me I am great..............or else.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 11:23:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/20/2012 10:59:54 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
While some atheists use evil, suffering, children having their limbs ripped of by lions, justin bieber etc to argue against the existence of God and some theists arguing these things don't disprove God as they cite moral sufficient reason, Gods ways are mysterious etc there is a certain irony here...

The atheist gives God the greatest exoneration for God for allowing various things to happen or not doing certain things, and that's that God does not exist, and what could make God more blameless than not existing, who could ever convict a God of wrong doing who doesn't exist ? And I just find that hilarious.

Embrace the absurdity.

I'm pretty sure that any sentence along the lines of "Why did God create hurricanes?" for example, has an implied "if God exists" that goes along with it.

Also, according to your logic, if I said "Darth Maul's dual light saber is awesome" I would also have to be implying that Darth Maul exists and his light saber is real. Of course that would be an outrageous conclusion to jump just based off the fact that I talked about a fictional character, thus the implications of your comment is the only absurdity that we can embrace in this thread so far.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 11:27:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
According to Illegalcombatant's logic if utter the words "Blanka shocks people", you must be implying that a green mutant named Blanka exists somewhere on this planet and actually shocks people. In reality, people shouldn't have to put "fictional character" behind the name of one if they are clearly talking about something they believe is fictional.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 11:30:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/20/2012 11:23:29 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/20/2012 10:59:54 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
While some atheists use evil, suffering, children having their limbs ripped of by lions, justin bieber etc to argue against the existence of God and some theists arguing these things don't disprove God as they cite moral sufficient reason, Gods ways are mysterious etc there is a certain irony here...

The atheist gives God the greatest exoneration for God for allowing various things to happen or not doing certain things, and that's that God does not exist, and what could make God more blameless than not existing, who could ever convict a God of wrong doing who doesn't exist ? And I just find that hilarious.

Embrace the absurdity.

I'm pretty sure that any sentence along the lines of "Why did God create hurricanes?" for example, has an implied "if God exists" that goes along with it.

Also, according to your logic, if I said "Darth Maul's dual light saber is awesome" I would also have to be implying that Darth Maul exists and his light saber is real. Of course that would be an outrageous conclusion to jump just based off the fact that I talked about a fictional character, thus the implications of your comment is the only absurdity that we can embrace in this thread so far.

I think you mis-understand me, I understand when an atheist says something like God created hurricanes huh, they are really performing a kind reductio, they aren't literally pre-supposing God exists.

Never the less I think my point stands, the greatest pass God can be given for allowing what ever is its non existence.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 2:03:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/20/2012 11:30:03 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 5/20/2012 11:23:29 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/20/2012 10:59:54 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
While some atheists use evil, suffering, children having their limbs ripped of by lions, justin bieber etc to argue against the existence of God and some theists arguing these things don't disprove God as they cite moral sufficient reason, Gods ways are mysterious etc there is a certain irony here...

The atheist gives God the greatest exoneration for God for allowing various things to happen or not doing certain things, and that's that God does not exist, and what could make God more blameless than not existing, who could ever convict a God of wrong doing who doesn't exist ? And I just find that hilarious.

Embrace the absurdity.

I'm pretty sure that any sentence along the lines of "Why did God create hurricanes?" for example, has an implied "if God exists" that goes along with it.

Also, according to your logic, if I said "Darth Maul's dual light saber is awesome" I would also have to be implying that Darth Maul exists and his light saber is real. Of course that would be an outrageous conclusion to jump just based off the fact that I talked about a fictional character, thus the implications of your comment is the only absurdity that we can embrace in this thread so far.

I think you mis-understand me, I understand when an atheist says something like God created hurricanes huh, they are really performing a kind reductio, they aren't literally pre-supposing God exists.

Never the less I think my point stands, the greatest pass God can be given for allowing what ever is its non existence.

How does your point still stand? If your intention was to point out some sort of irony, then you clearly failed.
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 2:17:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yeah but that doesn't hold much value, you can't put God up on a pedestal then have that same God as like, hey I made you, I can break you, shut up, I do what I want, when I want, how I want, I am the Lord.......B*tch, oh by the way, arn't I great ? tell me I am great..............or else.

I wouldn't say that's God's attitude, but he has that right. We were fortunately also made with the power of choice to be subservient to him or go on our own path. But, even saying that, free will is a privilege, and not a right. God doesn't have to justify himself using our own personal interpretation of moral law.

We're all warned of this since we know much of anything. We were born, and we will die. How God takes us, when, and why isn't our concern, and interpreting what defines good and evil and to put the blame on God for suffering is missing a lot of information that we do not know, nor can we ever know.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 4:47:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/20/2012 11:17:29 AM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
I think it's safe to say that God does with his own Uiverse what he wants to do, quite literally. Moral laws are not for God, they are for us. Saying that it is unfair that God takes people from the Earth is to take a position despite lack of understanding, which is what gets us into trouble with religions in the first place.

Then upon what grounds do you praise him? Upon what grounds does your god demand people to praise him?
Sapere Aude!