Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Jefferson Bible

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:02:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://pattonhq.com...

Thomas "T.J. Jenks Makes Bank" Jefferson altered the bible to exclude cruelty, stupidity, supernaturalism. Logically it's a small book.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:32:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Goodness your rhetoric gets old. You're like a more tolerable izbo. EVERY one of your posts seems to be some attempt at mimicking a line from the God Delusion.

"The alternative: reasonableness and skepticism. Whoa!"

"Imagine the progress we could make in human well-being if people of sanity and reason didn't have to waste countless hours arguing with egregious medieval stupidity, and could instead devote precious time to productive purposes."

"Agreed, the state and religion are the main evils of humanity, but the state is far more efficient at systematically slaughtering human beings."

I get it. You're the pinnacle of reason.
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:43:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:32:11 AM, Rusty wrote:
Goodness your rhetoric gets old. You're like a more tolerable izbo. EVERY one of your posts seems to be some attempt at mimicking a line from the God Delusion.

"The alternative: reasonableness and skepticism. Whoa!"

"Imagine the progress we could make in human well-being if people of sanity and reason didn't have to waste countless hours arguing with egregious medieval stupidity, and could instead devote precious time to productive purposes."

"Agreed, the state and religion are the main evils of humanity, but the state is far more efficient at systematically slaughtering human beings."

I get it. You're the pinnacle of reason.

Haha, he's the pinnacle of something! I'll tell you what: I've periodically read numerous discussion sites over the last few years, and this post on the so-called "Jefferson Bible" absolutely takes the cake for sheer logic, amazing analytical skills, breath-taking deductive thought, and the like. I wonder if an academic "chair" is available in the philosophy department at, like, a major university. This gift does not need to be hidden from the public - or pubic, whichever. I'd say more of #2.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:44:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:02:27 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
http://pattonhq.com...

Thomas "T.J. Jenks Makes Bank" Jefferson altered the bible to exclude cruelty, stupidity, supernaturalism. Logically it's a small book.

Well if that floats your boat gone ahead. I find the whole lack of belief outstanding. You critize believers because they believe. Though you believe nothing and in that you are nothing because you believe nothing. Nothing created you and guides you so you are alone. Withering on the inside. Lost inside your own thought processes. You say believers are caught in their minds, believing in God. Though my mind goes beyond this life. And you are still caught here, you dwell here, this is all you will ever know. How sad is it for belief to reach out to you but you ignore it as if it pains you. Ill pray for you.
TheAsylum
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 3:24:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:44:46 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:02:27 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
http://pattonhq.com...

Thomas "T.J. Jenks Makes Bank" Jefferson altered the bible to exclude cruelty, stupidity, supernaturalism. Logically it's a small book.

Well if that floats your boat gone ahead.

I altered your post to exclude cruelty, stupidity, and supernaturalism. Logically, it's a small post.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 5:03:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 3:24:05 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:44:46 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:02:27 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
http://pattonhq.com...

Thomas "T.J. Jenks Makes Bank" Jefferson altered the bible to exclude cruelty, stupidity, supernaturalism. Logically it's a small book.

Well if that floats your boat gone ahead.

I altered your post to exclude cruelty, stupidity, and supernaturalism. Logically, it's a small post.

Sigged
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:09:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:32:11 AM, Rusty wrote:
Goodness your rhetoric gets old. You're like a more tolerable izbo. EVERY one of your posts seems to be some attempt at mimicking a line from the God Delusion.

"The alternative: reasonableness and skepticism. Whoa!"

"Imagine the progress we could make in human well-being if people of sanity and reason didn't have to waste countless hours arguing with egregious medieval stupidity, and could instead devote precious time to productive purposes."

"Agreed, the state and religion are the main evils of humanity, but the state is far more efficient at systematically slaughtering human beings."

I get it. You're the pinnacle of reason.

TTHHHIISSS!!!!!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:03:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 3:24:05 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:44:46 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:02:27 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
http://pattonhq.com...

Thomas "T.J. Jenks Makes Bank" Jefferson altered the bible to exclude cruelty, stupidity, supernaturalism. Logically it's a small book.

Well if that floats your boat gone ahead.

I altered your post to exclude cruelty, stupidity, and supernaturalism. Logically, it's a small post.

+1
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:38:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh! Let me try.

Thomas Jefferson cut out Genesis 1:1 because he did not believe that the universe was created! After all, why else would he cut it out?

Oh wait, maybe it was not relevant to the intent of the particular purpose of the compilation.....

Nice.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:25:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:32:11 AM, Rusty wrote:
Goodness your rhetoric gets old. You're like a more tolerable izbo. EVERY one of your posts seems to be some attempt at mimicking a line from the God Delusion.

It's not my rhetoric lol, I heard it in this Hitchens speech --->
I've never read the God Delusion, but I have read God is not Great. They are somewhat similar. Hitchens goes after mainly historical and moral issues of religion. Dawkins is more about science, Harris is more on the philosophy of religion and objective morality.

I get it. You're the pinnacle of reason.
Why, thank you :D
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:26:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:43:06 AM, annanicole wrote:

Haha, he's the pinnacle of something!
<3
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:26:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 3:24:05 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:44:46 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:02:27 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
http://pattonhq.com...

Thomas "T.J. Jenks Makes Bank" Jefferson altered the bible to exclude cruelty, stupidity, supernaturalism. Logically it's a small book.

Well if that floats your boat gone ahead.

I altered your post to exclude cruelty, stupidity, and supernaturalism. Logically, it's a small post.

Pro
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:27:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 3:42:35 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Aaaaah, but it does not include the hidden teachings.

We always face trade-offs. It's a difficult part of life :(
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:34:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:32:11 AM, Rusty wrote:
You're the pinnacle of reason.

Also, you don't have to be the pinnacle of reason to point out the stupidity of the Bible, Quran, Hadith, Torah, etc.. 5-year-olds can do it, and you can tell by the questions they ask. The numerous contradictions, discrepancies, woefully evil and flagrantly immoral acts, and stupid verses allow plenty of room for comedy and doubt when viewing the bible, or any other holy book designed by committee.

Examples of such lulz ---->
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:37:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 12:32:48 AM, Rusty wrote:
Admittedly I'm in a bad mood and might not have posted that otherwise, but I stand by it for the moment.

Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the bosom of fools.

Proverbs 19:11 Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

Psalms 37:8 Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 3:15:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 2:37:25 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:32:48 AM, Rusty wrote:
Admittedly I'm in a bad mood and might not have posted that otherwise, but I stand by it for the moment.


Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the bosom of fools.

Proverbs 19:11 Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

Psalms 37:8 Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.

I missed where he stated he was 'angry' in the biblical sense, much less any sense.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:43:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 3:41:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Did you just say that harris does philosophy of religion? Haha.

That's not an argument; that's a petty attempt at persuasion. Don't fall into the crowd with dogmatic, provincial cretins of the YouTube caliber! You can do better!

Sam Harris holds a philosophy degree from Stanford. Yes, the university whose philosophy department is most often cited in LD-style debates.
[http://www.ted.com...]
[http://plato.stanford.edu...]
[http://www.samharris.org...]

His books The End of Faith, Letter to a Christian Nation, and Free Will all deal heavily in the concepts of the philosophy of religion, belief, and morality. He has even written a book almost entirely devoted to philosophical morality entitled The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values.
[http://www.samharris.org...]

Furthermore, he was featured on a program called The Philosophy of Religion along with Andrew Sullivan and Jonathan Kirsch.
[http://richarddawkins.net...]
[http://www.kcrw.com...]

Yes, he is a giant in the philosophy of religion.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:44:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 3:15:07 PM, Gileandos wrote:

I missed where he stated he was 'angry' in the biblical sense, much less any sense.

I understand that it is difficult for some people to process words and phrases, let alone sentences! Those are hard!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:48:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 8:43:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yes, he is a giant in the philosophy of religion.

Rofl, bro. No he isn't. I'm *quite* familiar with the field of philosophy of religion.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:48:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Jefferson Bible is interesting. Though I don't see why the lessons of Jesus Christ are necessarily better than simply reading a book dedicated specifically to morality. Utilitarianism by Mill, Virtue of Selfishness by Rand, and the Ethics of Liberty by Rothbard would all be better since they include clear reasoning for their conclusions, rather than simple pronouncements and parables.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:49:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 8:48:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:43:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yes, he is a giant in the philosophy of religion.

Rofl, bro. No he isn't. I'm *quite* familiar with the field of philosophy of religion.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with some real PoR if you think he's a giant in the field, btw.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:56:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 8:48:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:43:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yes, he is a giant in the philosophy of religion.

Rofl, bro. No he isn't. I'm *quite* familiar with the field of philosophy of religion.

Once again, not an argument. You should familiarize yourself with composing cogent statements instead of appearing as a pompous buffoon.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:59:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 8:56:55 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:48:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:43:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yes, he is a giant in the philosophy of religion.

Rofl, bro. No he isn't. I'm *quite* familiar with the field of philosophy of religion.

Once again, not an argument. You should familiarize yourself with composing cogent statements instead of appearing as a pompous buffoon.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. You're just a slightly more sophisticated izbo. -.-
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:05:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 8:56:55 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:48:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:43:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yes, he is a giant in the philosophy of religion.

Rofl, bro. No he isn't. I'm *quite* familiar with the field of philosophy of religion.

Once again, not an argument. You should familiarize yourself with composing cogent statements instead of appearing as a pompous buffoon.

LOL, ok then. Let's try a different tack - can you tell me who are some of the leading contemporary atheistic/agnostic philosophers of religion and can you name some of their noteworthy work?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:07:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 9:05:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:56:55 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:48:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/24/2012 8:43:09 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yes, he is a giant in the philosophy of religion.

Rofl, bro. No he isn't. I'm *quite* familiar with the field of philosophy of religion.

Once again, not an argument. You should familiarize yourself with composing cogent statements instead of appearing as a pompous buffoon.

LOL, ok then. Let's try a different tack - can you tell me who are some of the leading contemporary atheistic/agnostic philosophers of religion and can you name some of their noteworthy work?

I mean, besides that beast of a philosopher of religion, Sam Harris, of course. :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:27:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 8:59:55 PM, Rusty wrote:

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. You're just a slightly more sophisticated izbo. -.-

How should I deal with non-arguments? It would probably be more tactful to just dismiss them as non-arguments and move on.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:29:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/24/2012 8:59:55 PM, Rusty wrote:
This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. You're just a slightly more sophisticated izbo. -.-

Also, I'll try to be more sensitive when posting around you, or people period. It's one thing to get a point across, and another to be a dick while doing it. Sorry for the callous tone. Can you suggest any more improvements?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.