Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

What is morality? What determines morality?

ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:09:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
We will define this topic here and this is the example we will use:
Morality- normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons.
By these terms we will all determine what is true morality.

The Golden Rule- treat those how you would want to be treated.

How can we define all of morality? It seems impossible. Were do we turn to find moral? Law, maybe? Does the law of the land contain full morality? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Can religion supply morality? It provides as much as law can. Does the Bible give full morality? I think it does. Can other acient texts offer morality? I think many do. I myself am a Christian and by being Christian my faith is in the Bible, so I am biased in this case. So please give your input!
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:35:49 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:22:08 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
There is no such thing as morality.

Well there is, but only as a concept.

Give a example of what you feel is moral.
TheAsylum
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:50:00 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:35:49 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

That's my point. I don't believe in actions being immoral or moral. Actions are actions and are only good or bad based on what we as humans decided they were
#BlackLivesMatter
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:08:39 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:50:00 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:

That's my point. I don't believe in actions being immoral or moral. Actions are actions and are only good or bad based on what we as humans decided they were

All law aside. There is no law. Would you kill? steal? rape? kidnap?
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:09:24 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:53:10 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Morality can be determined before the action is undertaken.

Yes. It is woven into us.
TheAsylum
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:25:57 AM
At 5/24/2012 1:09:13 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
Morality- normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons.

What if i want people to be brutally honest with me? Doesnt mean that other people want to be treated that way.

The Golden rule fails in this respect.

How can we define all of morality? It seems impossible. Were do we turn to find moral? Law, maybe? Does the law of the land contain full morality? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Can religion supply morality? It provides as much as law can. Does the Bible give full morality? I think it does. Can other acient texts offer morality? I think many do. I myself am a Christian and by being Christian my faith is in the Bible, so I am biased in this case. So please give your input!

What is "Full" morality?

Furthermore, the bible supports slavery, the bible supports rape, the bible supports genocide. Is this the "Full" morality you speak of?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:28:10 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:08:39 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Depending on the situation? Yes. I would.

If your family was starving, would you steal food to feed them? If your daughter was about to be murdered, and the only way you could stop the murderer is if you killed him, would you kill him?

There is always situations where Murder, theft is acceptable. And simply blanketing it as "Murder is wrong" is childish. Not everything is black and white.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:33:07 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:25:57 AM, tkubok wrote:

What if i want people to be brutally honest with me? Doesnt mean that other people want to be treated that way.

What is "Full" morality?

Furthermore, the bible supports slavery, the bible supports rape, the bible supports genocide. Is this the "Full" morality you speak of?

Not part of the topic. But anyway support your wild claims!!!
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:38:02 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:28:10 AM, tkubok wrote:

If your family was starving, would you steal food to feed them? If your daughter was about to be murdered, and the only way you could stop the murderer is if you killed him, would you kill him?

There is always situations where Murder, theft is acceptable. And simply blanketing it as "Murder is wrong" is childish. Not everything is black and white.

If your family was starving, would you steal food to feed them?
If there is law, then how much are you helping going to jail? It is another topic if you steal to feed yourself. You are not just going to die from hunger to not steal. Everybody has a right to eat, so theft for hunger is not theft in my book!

If your daughter was about to be murdered, and the only way you could stop the murderer is if you killed him, would you kill him?

That is not murder.
TheAsylum
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:48:11 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:38:02 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

If there is law, then how much are you helping going to jail? It is another topic if you steal to feed yourself. You are not just going to die from hunger to not steal. Everybody has a right to eat, so theft for hunger is not theft in my book!

Everybody has the right to play too. So theft of Video Games is not theft in your book, either?

If your daughter was about to be murdered, and the only way you could stop the murderer is if you killed him, would you kill him?

That is not murder.

You said "Would you kill". Not "Would you murder".
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:50:42 AM

This.
#BlackLivesMatter
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:52:25 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:09:24 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/24/2012 1:53:10 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Morality can be determined before the action is undertaken.

Yes. It is woven into us.

By what?
#BlackLivesMatter
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:53:22 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:33:07 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

What is "Full" morality?

Yes, it is part of the topic. You brought up the fact that you believe the bible to contain "Full" morality.

Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, [shall be] of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that [are] with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit [them for] a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour. Leviticus 25:44-46

When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her. Deuteronomy 21:10-14
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 3:07:13 AM
At 5/24/2012 2:48:11 AM, tkubok wrote:

Everybody has the right to play too. So theft of Video Games is not theft in your book, either?

That is not murder.

Self pretection and family pretection is not murder or un-needed killing. This is no arguement at all. And No one has the right to steal to play a game.
TheAsylum
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 6:11:24 AM
At 5/24/2012 3:07:13 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/24/2012 2:48:11 AM, tkubok wrote:

That is not murder.

Self pretection and family pretection is not murder or un-needed killing. This is no arguement at all. And No one has the right to steal to play a game.

And if its to protect your religion? Is that murder or not?

Also, no one has the right to steal food either.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 6:16:36 AM
I do. I determine what's moral; I just haven't told anyone yet.

It's amusing to see what you mortals come up with on your own.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 7:21:21 AM
Morality comes from empathy, reasoning and human decency. There is no such thing as an absolute morality. The best absolute law is "treat others how you would like to be treated". However, even this cannot be used all the time.

The "commandments" in the Bible include things as obvious as "not to murder" and as arbitrary as "don't work on Sunday". These "Bible rules" have been around for 1000s of years, yet only recently has society freed slaves, gave rights to women and established democracies. If the Bible should be used as a basis for morality, should it not have included these basic moral truths? Human decency, empathy and reasoning is what defines morality and drives society forward. The Bible should not be used as a basis for morality.
HmblySkTrth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:34:09 AM
My morality can be summed up as: how do my actions affect the world? This requires reasoning, empathy, and personal reflection. It cannot be found in a book.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:54:31 PM
At 5/24/2012 2:53:22 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 5/24/2012 2:33:07 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

What is "Full" morality?

Yes, it is part of the topic. You brought up the fact that you believe the bible to contain "Full" morality.

Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, [shall be] of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that [are] with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit [them for] a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour. Leviticus 25:44-46

When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her. Deuteronomy 21:10-14

What is your point here?
TheAsylum
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 3:42:49 PM

Mr. Scotty I think the most important question is whether morality is contingent (dependent on the actions of something to be true) or necessary or always true timelessly without cause. Which would you say and why?
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:09:19 PM
At 5/24/2012 3:42:49 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

Mr. Scotty I think the most important question is whether morality is contingent (dependent on the actions of something to be true) or necessary or always true timelessly without cause. Which would you say and why?

I should labeled the title more proper. With Virtue instead of morality. But I do think Virtue and morality are constants. They do not change though time does.
TheAsylum
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:32:35 PM
At 5/24/2012 11:09:19 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/24/2012 3:42:49 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

I should labeled the title more proper. With Virtue instead of morality. But I do think Virtue and morality are constants. They do not change though time does.

If morality is constant and exists without cause, then morality is not dependant on God's existence or what he thinks.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:42:48 PM

How can we define all of morality? It seems impossible.

Depends on what theories of morality you hold.

Were do we turn to find moral? Law, maybe? Does the law of the land contain full morality?

What are we talking about, objective morality? If so, law based objective morality is completely in itself contradictory.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Can religion supply morality? It provides as much as law can.

I'd just say God rather than religion.

Does the Bible give full morality? I think it does.

A few problems there. Firstly you could point out the contradicting moral statements from the various authors. Secondly the opinion of man is not divine thus why would their moral opinions be. Lastly the moral statements in the Bible are claims based off of men with limited or flawed knowledge. Thus the premises built to deduce their theroem me be flawed and the whole foundation of the moral statement fails.

Can other acient texts offer morality? I think many do.

I assume you do not mean full morality like in the previous quoted section, but some of course offer some good moral guidlines.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 12:13:51 AM
At 5/24/2012 11:42:48 PM, phantom wrote:

How can we define all of morality? It seems impossible.

Depends on what theories of morality you hold.

Were do we turn to find moral? Law, maybe? Does the law of the land contain full morality?

What are we talking about, objective morality? If so, law based objective morality is completely in itself contradictory.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Can religion supply morality? It provides as much as law can.

I'd just say God rather than religion.

Does the Bible give full morality? I think it does.

A few problems there. Firstly you could point out the contradicting moral statements from the various authors. Secondly the opinion of man is not divine thus why would their moral opinions be. Lastly the moral statements in the Bible are claims based off of men with limited or flawed knowledge. Thus the premises built to deduce their theroem me be flawed and the whole foundation of the moral statement fails.

Can other acient texts offer morality? I think many do.

I assume you do not mean full morality like in the previous quoted section, but some of course offer some good moral guidlines.

Though we agree many in the Bible displays immoral acts the Bible itself supplies moral fiber. This moral fiber is strong and maybe stronger than any book ever written. Though it is unknown if we know all morals but if we do then the Bible displays that knowledge.
TheAsylum
Susej12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 5:20:21 PM

Though we agree many in the Bible displays immoral acts the Bible itself supplies moral fiber. This moral fiber is :strong and maybe stronger than any book ever written. Though it is unknown if we know all morals but if we do then :the Bible displays that knowledge.

Morality is subjective. This argument is proof of that; we have different views on it. It is, actually, impossible to derive any sort of morality from Christianity but this man proves it much better than I ever could. Now, to bed with the morality threads.

Please actually watch that before replying, he will invalidate anything you can say. (and if he doesn't be sure to let me know)
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 5:45:11 PM
Morality is a pretty moot point in my opinion, and a terrible value to argue on in a debate. It's just an abstract concept
turn down for h'what