Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Who is more tolerant--atheists or Christians?

Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 10:00:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
When it comes to tolerance are atheists more tolerant than theists or are theists more tolerant of atheists? Is our society more accepting of secularist ideals or is government just "poisened by religion"? Should we be working towards a totally secular society with no religion whatsoever?**Please,no namecalling or disrespect. I recently had a thread shut down because a couple of people let their temper get the best of them and ruined a great exchange of ideas,so please keep it a clean and fair exchange.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 10:17:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think we have to define tolerant. According to dictionary reference it is a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own. Tolerance is not accepting someones beliefs even if they are false. I think that no matter what opinions we differ on, we need to exchange ideas in a respectful manner, but if we point out things people say that are wrong, that does not make us intolerant. I think there is going to be both theist and atheist that are not respectful. That is my opinion.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 11:24:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 10:17:08 AM, stubs wrote:
I think we have to define tolerant. According to dictionary reference it is a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own. Tolerance is not accepting someones beliefs even if they are false. I think that no matter what opinions we differ on, we need to exchange ideas in a respectful manner, but if we point out things people say that are wrong, that does not make us intolerant. I think there is going to be both theist and atheist that are not respectful. That is my opinion.

Yes,that definition is good. I'm sure both atheist and theist alike will feel the need to be disrespectful but I hope for the sake of seeing both points of view that both will "keep a lid on it".
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 11:35:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Both....?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 11:59:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
ones personality traits are not dependent upon their religious beliefs. overall, neither one are more or less tolerant. individuals of both groups can be tolerant and/or intolerant.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 1:04:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 10:00:51 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
When it comes to tolerance are atheists more tolerant than theists or are theists more tolerant of atheists?

You live in Tennessee. Prove it to yourself. Tell all your friends, coworkers and relatives that you are an atheist. Let them believe it for a week. Enjoy.

Is our society more accepting of secularist ideals or is government just "poisened by religion"?

The US government is constraint by the first amendment of the constitution. There are theocratic problems in US government though these will always be challenged.

Should we be working towards a totally secular society with no religion whatsoever?

Yes, the ideal society would be where everyone accepted scientific accounts of reality and not the accounts offered by ancient tribes (in the case of the monotheisms) and the accounts of modern mountebanks such as Scientologist.

**Please,no namecalling or disrespect. I recently had a thread shut down because a couple of people let their temper get the best of them and ruined a great exchange of ideas,so please keep it a clean and fair exchange.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 1:06:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ah, Vbaculum, disproving his own point while he's trying to prove it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 1:15:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You can get ahead anywhere by being loud as an atheist. People don't take Christian scientists as seriously as non-christian scientists.

That's my viewpoint, anyhow

But, then again, it's hard to be a self professed atheist and get into US politics.

Really depends on in what school of thought you are talking about.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 1:56:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 10:00:51 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
When it comes to tolerance are atheists more tolerant than theists or are theists more tolerant of atheists? Is our society more accepting of secularist ideals or is government just "poisened by religion"? Should we be working towards a totally secular society with no religion whatsoever?**Please,no namecalling or disrespect. I recently had a thread shut down because a couple of people let their temper get the best of them and ruined a great exchange of ideas,so please keep it a clean and fair exchange.

"Christians" is a pretty broad range of people. There are around 2 billion Christians on earth (unless I'm mistaken), and so clumping them all together isn't very fair, in my opinion. Overall, I've seen tolerant Atheists and Christians, it all depends on the person really. Some Christians don't really care what you believe, while others will call you a heathen and tell you you're going to hell if you don't believe in their religion (I've experienced this, lol). Atheists can be very open minded, but others will call you stupid for believing in "fairy tales".

Overall, I've been around far more Christians than Atheists, and overall, they'll leave you alone, I think it really depends on the denomination of Christianity they believe in. The few Atheists I have met, have been, for the most part, very tolerant.

"Should we be working towards a totally secular society with no religion whatsoever?"

No, we should not. This country was founded on freedom, especially freedom of religion, and so it would go against our constitutional separation of church and state to ban religion. The Church (as in any religion) cannot dictate laws, and the Government cannot inhibit individuals from practicing their religion, as long as it isn't illegal (can't stone people, for example). And I would also like to point out that the vast majority of America is religious, so it would be next to immpossible to do, and again, it would go against religious freedom.
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 2:26:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 1:06:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Ah, Vbaculum, disproving his own point while he's trying to prove it.

What point did I make which I disproved?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:10:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Depends on the person. Some Christians are tolerant, some are not. Some Atheists are tolerant, some are not. It also depends on if they are extremist. The extremists tend to be less tolerant.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:24:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with 1dustpelt. There are different branches of Christianity, and a lot of christians beleive that they should try to convert others and not accept anyone who doesnt love the "Almighty Jesus". Although, I am roman catholic. Our teachings are that we should love, accept, and tolerate everyone, no matter what. Although, if we are given the chance to convert someone without causing major discomfert of their part, we should do so.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:44:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 3:24:29 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
I agree with 1dustpelt. There are different branches of Christianity, and a lot of christians beleive that they should try to convert others and not accept anyone who doesnt love the "Almighty Jesus". Although, I am roman catholic. Our teachings are that we should love, accept, and tolerate everyone, no matter what. Although, if we are given the chance to convert someone without causing major discomfert of their part, we should do so.

So if it causes them too much discomfort then they can roast as far as Catholics are concerned?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:38:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 1:06:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Ah, Vbaculum, disproving his own point while he's trying to prove it.

At no point in his response was he ostensibly intolerant; in fact, he proved that Christians in this country are intolerant of atheists, especially in the most-religious part of the country: the bible belt. This attempt at a belittling, arrogant remark has failed.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:42:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 3:10:38 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Depends on the person. Some Christians are tolerant, some are not. Some Atheists are tolerant, some are not. It also depends on if they are extremist. The extremists tend to be less tolerant.

Extremism is not the problem. The underlying beliefs are the problem.

Jainism is a religion of peace. In fact, the core principle in Jainism is non-violence. Gandhi got his non-violence from the Jains. The crazier you get as a Jain, the less we have to worry about you. Jain extremists are paralyzed by their pacifism. They can't take their eyes off the ground when they walk lest they step on an ant.They drink every sip of water through cloth lest they swallow and there by kill a bug. And needless to say they are vegetarian.

So the problem is not really fundamentalism. I often hear Muslims say that it's all because of extremism. If your core beliefs are peaceful, it doesn't matter how extremist you get about them. But if your core beliefs are violent, the more you embrace them, the more violent you get.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:46:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It doesn't matter. Why should we be tolerant? I see no reason to place this stupid taboo on Christianity. Why should I be tolerant of hatred, discrimination, sexism, and bigotry? Because it's in the name of religion?

Christians have pushed their radical agenda and made it legislation across the country, stripping people of civil rights. Why should anyone be "tolerant" of that?
Sapere Aude!
Reason_Alliance
Posts: 1,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:47:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That depends on which definition of tolerance you're using. If you mean the self-refuting post-modern tolerance, than neither side really conforms to this. But if you mean tolerance in the sense that "though I disagree with your view, I'll defend to the death your right to that view," than I think it ought to be Christians who would most likely conform to this. Since they have Christ, their model for living, constantly preach love and tolerance. Whereas atheism has no such mantra. But that's not to say atheists don't affirm at least some things that Christ taught.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 4:56:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 4:46:06 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
It doesn't matter. Why should we be tolerant? I see no reason to place this stupid taboo on Christianity. Why should I be tolerant of hatred, discrimination, sexism, and bigotry? Because it's in the name of religion?

Christians have pushed their radical agenda and made it legislation across the country, stripping people of civil rights. Why should anyone be "tolerant" of that?

^ Example of extremist ^
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 12:55:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 4:56:06 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
At 5/26/2012 4:46:06 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
It doesn't matter. Why should we be tolerant? I see no reason to place this stupid taboo on Christianity. Why should I be tolerant of hatred, discrimination, sexism, and bigotry? Because it's in the name of religion?

Christians have pushed their radical agenda and made it legislation across the country, stripping people of civil rights. Why should anyone be "tolerant" of that?

^ Example of extremist ^

Both the "Christians" he was talking about and himself are both extremists. The Christian extremists that do that is the result of misinterpretation, being too literal, and corruption in the Church. The Atheist extremist is the result of watching the "Christian" misinterpreters and extremists.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 1:53:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 4:46:06 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
It doesn't matter. Why should we be tolerant? I see no reason to place this stupid taboo on Christianity. Why should I be tolerant of hatred, discrimination, sexism, and bigotry? Because it's in the name of religion?

Christians have pushed their radical agenda and made it legislation across the country, stripping people of civil rights. Why should anyone be "tolerant" of that?

^Proof both atheists and Christians can be extremists.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 2:09:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

Extremism is not the problem. The underlying beliefs are the problem.

Jainism is a religion of peace. In fact, the core principle in Jainism is non-violence. Gandhi got his non-violence from the Jains. The crazier you get as a Jain, the less we have to worry about you. Jain extremists are paralyzed by their pacifism. They can't take their eyes off the ground when they walk lest they step on an ant.They drink every sip of water through cloth lest they swallow and there by kill a bug. And needless to say they are vegetarian.

So the problem is not really fundamentalism. I often hear Muslims say that it's all because of extremism. If your core beliefs are peaceful, it doesn't matter how extremist you get about them. But if your core beliefs are violent, the more you embrace them, the more violent you get.

+1
Awesome-Sauce
Posts: 208
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 2:21:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well living in the Bible Belt and being exposed to many southern Baptists, I've discovered the vast majority to be intolerant of anything besides other southern Baptists. Even if you're a fellow Christian, and just belong to a different denomination, a lot of southern Baptists around here will believe you're doing it wrong, and they'll hold it against you.

But like everybody else has said it depends on the person.
Cogito ergo sum - Rene Descartes

: At 6/23/2012 1:15:48 AM, bossyburrito wrote: (to Jimtimmy)
:
: You are the equivelent of a fly buzzing around a cow. I can just swat you with my tail without it taking my attention away from grazing the sweet grass that is DDO.

DDOians for a better DDO! (DDOfabDDO)
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 4:34:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
None are tolerant. Firgiveness and Love is tolerant. No matter what you believe and think that is where tolerance should start!
TheAsylum
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 6:34:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/27/2012 4:34:03 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
None are tolerant.

None is tolerant.* (Not one is tolerant)

Firgiveness and Love is tolerant.

Forgiveness and love are tolerant.*

No matter what you believe and think that is where tolerance should start!

Regardless of your beliefs or thoughts, that is the starting point of tolerance.*
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 9:00:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 4:46:06 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
It doesn't matter. Why should we be tolerant? I see no reason to place this stupid taboo on Christianity. Why should I be tolerant of hatred, discrimination, sexism, and bigotry? Because it's in the name of religion?

Christians have pushed their radical agenda and made it legislation across the country, stripping people of civil rights. Why should anyone be "tolerant" of that?
What are you refering to? What "radical" agenda? At some point you have to move beyond the "well,HE started it" mentality or we will never progress as a peaceful society.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 9:14:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/27/2012 2:09:41 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Extremism is not the problem. The underlying beliefs are the problem.

Jainism is a religion of peace. In fact, the core principle in Jainism is non-violence. Gandhi got his non-violence from the Jains. The crazier you get as a Jain, the less we have to worry about you. Jain extremists are paralyzed by their pacifism. They can't take their eyes off the ground when they walk lest they step on an ant.They drink every sip of water through cloth lest they swallow and there by kill a bug. And needless to say they are vegetarian.

So the problem is not really fundamentalism. I often hear Muslims say that it's all because of extremism. If your core beliefs are peaceful, it doesn't matter how extremist you get about them. But if your core beliefs are violent, the more you embrace them, the more violent you get.

+1

Again that's Christianity. The foundation for it is Jesus and he taught love and kindness to everybody. Then many people misinterpret it.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 9:21:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 4:38:06 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/26/2012 1:06:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Ah, Vbaculum, disproving his own point while he's trying to prove it.

At no point in his response was he ostensibly intolerant; in fact, he proved that Christians in this country are intolerant of atheists, especially in the most-religious part of the country: the bible belt. This attempt at a belittling, arrogant remark has failed.

Where did he prove that?
"he proved Christians in this country are intolerant of atheists, especially in the most-religious part of the country: the bible belt." was your statement.
What was said that "proved" Christians are intolerant especially in the bible belt??
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 9:50:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 10:00:51 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
When it comes to tolerance are atheists more tolerant than theists or are theists more tolerant of atheists? Is our society more accepting of secularist ideals or is government just "poisened by religion"? Should we be working towards a totally secular society with no religion whatsoever?**Please,no namecalling or disrespect. I recently had a thread shut down because a couple of people let their temper get the best of them and ruined a great exchange of ideas,so please keep it a clean and fair exchange.

Look no further than this forum; We Christians are constantly mocked, scoffed at, abused, ignored etc etc..

John 15:18
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first."


Matthew 5:11
"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."


2 Peter 3:3
Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.


So, everything the world does, glorifies God and his word.
The Cross.. the Cross.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 10:49:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/29/2012 9:50:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 5/26/2012 10:00:51 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
When it comes to tolerance are atheists more tolerant than theists or are theists more tolerant of atheists? Is our society more accepting of secularist ideals or is government just "poisened by religion"? Should we be working towards a totally secular society with no religion whatsoever?**Please,no namecalling or disrespect. I recently had a thread shut down because a couple of people let their temper get the best of them and ruined a great exchange of ideas,so please keep it a clean and fair exchange.

Look no further than this forum; We Christians are constantly mocked, scoffed at, abused, ignored etc etc..

Criticizing, deriding, expressing incredulity and politely ignoring someone's beliefs isn't the same as being intolerant of them. And anybody who defends non-mainstream or dubious claims about anything can expect to be abused on the Internet. Intolerance is something that happens to people which has real consequences, like being fired from a job, harrased, socially ostrizised, etc. In other words, intolerance is an expression of someones inability to tolerate someone else. The fact that Christians constitutes many active member at this site proves that they are tolerated here.

John 15:18
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first."


Matthew 5:11
"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."


2 Peter 3:3
Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.


So, everything the world does, glorifies God and his word.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it