Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

What is the evolutionary value of morality?

cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 7:57:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
First of all, my arguments on this, for the moment, are just going to be observational and relational arguments. It's difficult to approach the question in a true scientific sense but I'm open to studies in this area that anyone has read or posted.

Now,the direct response to the "moral argument" of God is because it is good for the species to have moral laws. But, is that the way we truly behave?

From what I see, the higher you go up the social and government chain, the less morality. People become concerned with their assets and power to a degree that a far greater proportion of them resort to immoral things such as murder and theft... a greater proportion than regular folks making less than six figures.

What about in mating? I talk to a lot of people online, and the situation of the "nice guy" being put aside over the "accomplished guy" is always one that plagues young people emotionally, especially when people are new to relationships in their teens. I think this bias goes away when we are older and able to select partners in a more mature fashion (as we ourselves mature).

But, here is the fact as I see it: When you are young, you have no past experience to go by, so all u can go by is your feelings, and your feelings, of course, lead you to find the strongest partners. But, at the same time, we're told by our parents (the mature ones) to look for the clean and nice person. So, then comes the saying "I really like you, you're a nice guy, but I just don't like you in that way. Let's remain friends."

So, what are you guys' thoughts on this? What value does morality have in evolution and natural behaviors? Can nature explain morals? Are the roles that I explain just built into the human system?
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2012 12:23:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Logic
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)