Jump to topic:

It's Sad...

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 12:57:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Someone around my age (only 18) recently died in my area. A lot of my friends knew him but I never did.

I checked his Facebook to see what was up with his family and stuff and was saddened to see that he was an atheist...

To me, whether you believe it or not, this is very sad because I know now that he has no chance of an afterlife according to my beliefs.

It troubled me.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 1:09:12 AM
At 5/30/2012 12:57:11 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Someone around my age (only 18) recently died in my area. A lot of my friends knew him but I never did.

I checked his Facebook to see what was up with his family and stuff and was saddened to see that he was an atheist...

To me, whether you believe it or not, this is very sad because I know now that he has no chance of an afterlife according to my beliefs.

It troubled me.

That is a very tragic situation. It's also very tragic and troubling to me that you "know" that he now has no chance in the afterlife.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 1:48:56 AM

It troubled me.

One of my friends told me he was sad when he heard Steve Jobs died because he was Buddhist.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 2:11:00 AM
At 5/30/2012 1:09:12 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

It troubled me.

That is a very tragic situation. It's also very tragic and troubling to me that you "know" that he now has no chance in the afterlife.

I'm sort of derailing this, but as a direct question to you, if there is no hell, what was the "lake of fire" referring to in the Bible to you?
"[Society] has no vested interest in continuing to exist." -RP
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 2:41:49 AM
"There shall be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first, and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for every one who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality."

Romans 2:9-11.

"What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience the vessels of the wrath made for destruction in order to make known the ruches of his glory for the vessels of mercy, which he has prepared before for glory, even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles? As indeed he says in Hose'a:
Those who were not my people
I will call "my people"
and her who was not beloved
I will call my beloved"

Romans 9:22-25
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 2:42:07 AM
Maybe you should change that view. Then you would feel better and have less douchebaggery views.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 4:26:50 AM

It troubled me.

You are a Lutheran. How do you account for people in Africa or Tibet who may have never even heard of your religion?

I would much rather be an atheist than believe that everyone who didn't subscribe to my particular faith would go to hell for all time. Would it make sense after a billion years? Or a Google years? What about a Googleplex (a one with a Google zeros after it)?

I quote Wikipedia: "If the entire volume of the observable universe (taken to be 3 × 1080 m3) were packed solid with fine dust particles about 1.5 micrometres in size, then the number of different ways of ordering these particles (that is, assigning the number 1 to one particle, then the number 2 to another particle, and so on until all particles are numbered) would be approximately one googolplex."

So let's translate that amount into years, right? Let's go even further. Grahma's number. Again: "Graham's number is unimaginably larger than other well-known large numbers such as a googol, googolplex, and even larger than Skewes' number and Moser's number. Indeed, the observable universe is far too small to contain an ordinary digital representation of Graham's number, assuming that each digit occupies at least one Planck volume. Even power towers of the form are useless for this purpose."

So imagine that many years, a number so vast literally only a God could even come close to comprehending it, and after all that time the people burning in hell come to God and say, "Don't you think we've been in here long enough?" And, according to you, God would respond "No! Remember that lifetime you had an eternity ago? When you didn't believe that I existed? You deserve to keep suffering!"

Such a fate would be unimaginable. God would be the only being who would ever exist who would actually deserve to burn in "hell."
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:33:17 AM

It troubled me.

Maybe you shouldn't have such unfounded sadistic beliefs then.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:35:19 AM

It troubled me.

Also, don't you believe he is going to be tortured forever now? You loving Christians lol
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:41:35 AM

It troubled me.

Your god being a petty and sadistic prick should trouble you.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:45:20 AM
At 5/30/2012 5:41:35 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

It troubled me.

If and when it doesn't.. then you are truly lost :(

Having given yourself up to that imaginary monster in the sky.. To be Assimilated into him.. and Add substance to his monstrous body.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:55:32 AM
At 5/30/2012 5:45:20 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

It troubled me.

Having given yourself up to that imaginary monster in the sky.. To be Assimilated into him.. and Add substance to his monstrous body.

And this somehow makes you oblivious to this. I think not.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:57:30 AM
At 5/30/2012 5:35:19 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It troubled me.

Also, don't you believe he is going to be tortured forever now? You loving Christians lol

To call yourself rational thinker. You sure aint rational. And you do not even study or know what you are talking about, so how are you a thinker? Read your Bibele properly or have someone esle read it for you if that task is to much for you.
TheAsylum
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 6:02:48 AM
At 5/30/2012 5:55:32 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

It troubled me.

I recognize that there's no reason to believe in this god... and am comfortable enough with being How I Am, that Even If I were to believe in such a Sadistic, and infantile, god... I wouldn't be tempted in the least to "give myself up" to him.

Rather, I'd go on seeking what I would have...
Granted, I wouldn't want to have the monster attack me :/ but I'd never play the part of a devotee.

Same even with a less-monstrous god.. I care for what I do.. and That determines what I would have done.

Metaphysics:
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 6:06:28 AM
At 5/30/2012 6:02:48 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 5/30/2012 5:55:32 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

It troubled me.

I recognize that there's no reason to believe in this god... and am comfortable enough with being How I Am, that Even If I were to believe in such a Sadistic, and infantile, god... I wouldn't be tempted in the least to "give myself up" to him.

Rather, I'd go on seeking what I would have...
Granted, I wouldn't want to have the monster attack me :/ but I'd never play the part of a devotee.

Same even with a less-monstrous god.. I care for what I do.. and That determines what I would have done.

Flatout nonsense. Not to mention untrue. The biblical God is a monster-sadistic, prove that statement or be quiet on the topic.
TheAsylum
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 6:14:31 AM
At 5/30/2012 6:06:28 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
Flatout nonsense. Not to mention untrue. The biblical God is a monster-sadistic, prove that statement or be quiet on the topic.

I was talking of Conservito's god... that one who Tortures people endlessly instead of just wiping them out cleanly.

The only thing that accomplishes is that it causes suffering.

When Suffering pleases someone that means that the person's a Sadist.
When Suffering pleases God.. that means God's a sadist.

When I say god is monstrous.. I mean he's a horrible prick.. his being sadistic qualifies him for this.

Also.. There are other Biblical evidences of god's petty, vindictive, childishness.. like initially telling moses he was going to kill ALL the jews when they worshipped the calf.. only to be convinced to abandon that "evil" when moses talked sense into him, playing upon god's vanity to convince him not to wipe out ALL his people..
Also, when one of his prophets cursed some mocking children God sent she-bears to tear 42 of them to pieces...

That god is a childish, sadistic, prick.

Metaphysics:
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 6:52:56 AM
At 5/30/2012 5:33:17 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It troubled me.

Maybe you shouldn't have such unfounded sadistic beliefs then.

" deriving pleasure or sexual gratification from extreme cruelty"
http://dictionary.reference.com...

What is wrong with you?
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 6:59:04 AM

It troubled me.

Well, you can re-examine this belief, can't you? If you still believe so, then there's nothing that you can do..... :(
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 7:08:57 AM
I've already said I would consider debating Hell being compatible with the Christian God and scripture. Not sure if this would be the resolution but I agree with it, "Hell—the logical outcome of a life/mindset away from God" (I am Pro).
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 7:38:11 AM
At 5/30/2012 2:11:00 AM, LibertyCampbell wrote:

It troubled me.

That is a very tragic situation. It's also very tragic and troubling to me that you "know" that he now has no chance in the afterlife

I'm sort of derailing this, but as a direct question to you, if there is no hell, what was the "lake of fire" referring to in the Bible to you?

? I've never said there is no hell....
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 8:16:23 AM
At 5/30/2012 5:57:30 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

To call yourself rational thinker. You sure aint rational. And you do not even study or know what you are talking about, so how are you a thinker? Read your Bibele properly or have someone esle read it for you if that task is to much for you.

Why do you have to be such a dbag to him? He's a nice guy, I'm friends with him. You can address his arguments without being an arrogant prick right?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 8:33:41 AM

It troubled me.

How sad for the poor chap's family. Only 18.

I'm not sure what the point of the second part of your post is...
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 8:38:27 AM

It troubled me.

Wouldn't a theist also have no chance of an afterlife according to your beliefs?
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 8:53:17 AM
At 5/30/2012 1:48:56 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

It troubled me.

One of my friends told me he was sad when he heard Steve Jobs died because he was Buddhist.
Me
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 9:31:53 AM
At 5/30/2012 7:38:11 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

It troubled me.

That is a very tragic situation. It's also very tragic and troubling to me that you "know" that he now has no chance in the afterlife

But, you believe there is no hell.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 9:37:29 AM
At 5/30/2012 9:31:53 AM, Jon1 wrote:

It troubled me.

I don't think that's correct.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 10:12:16 AM
At 5/30/2012 9:31:53 AM, Jon1 wrote:

It troubled me.

Do I? This is news to me....
BLACK LIVES MATTER!