Total Posts:53|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Question I've Been Thinking of

asiansarentnerdy
Posts: 124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 7:58:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If no one has ever seen God, as stated in the Bible in 1 John, why do we refer to God as a He? I'm not trying to be funny at all, its just a question I've had in mind for awhile now.
I'm asian.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 8:00:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Because men were dominant over women when the Bible was written. Thus, it is impossible that an all-powerful being could be a woman.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 8:12:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/12/2009 7:58:24 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:
If no one has ever seen God, as stated in the Bible in 1 John, why do we refer to God as a He? I'm not trying to be funny at all, its just a question I've had in mind for awhile now.

Well, throughout the Bible there are plenty of references to Jeus Christ. Obviously, Jesus Christ was a man. Since Jesus Christ is our Savior, He was given the respected title of "He." And since many Christians believe in the Triune God (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit), there are already references to a male with "God the Father" and "God the Son." The main logic is that Jesus was a He, and it would not make the sentences within the Bible flow very well if the writers had to keep saying God, God, God, God. Although God is not supposed to be male or female, many signs point God to being more of a patriarch.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lexicaholic
Posts: 526
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 9:10:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/12/2009 7:58:24 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:
If no one has ever seen God, as stated in the Bible in 1 John, why do we refer to God as a He? I'm not trying to be funny at all, its just a question I've had in mind for awhile now.

The actual answer for that is complex. For one, the God of the Bible is likely one of the Levantine pantheon's gods, http://en.wikipedia.org...(deity), either El or Yam. Both of these deities were male. Additionally, male genetic material was believed to be the sole substance necessary to generate life (women were seen as mere incubators -- now you know where the 'bun in the oven' analogy comes from). Anyway, believing that men alone were needed for life would lead one to assume that the creator being had to be male. Since most religions have animist roots, it wouldn't be going to far to say that the ancients believed in nascent spirits being in the male gametes and, therefore, that God merely used the world to incubate his.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.
MTGandP
Posts: 702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 12:01:53 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

How dare you call the great Ragnar_Rahl "dishonorable"!!
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 12:03:40 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 12:01:53 AM, MTGandP wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

How dare you call the great Ragnar_Rahl "dishonorable"!!

I was just saying the statement was, not him.
MTGandP
Posts: 702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 12:05:05 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 12:03:40 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:01:53 AM, MTGandP wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

How dare you call the great Ragnar_Rahl "dishonorable"!!

I was just saying the statement was, not him.

"This is both dishonorable and ignorant of YOU"

Anyway, I was joking. I was deifying RR. It was funny.

No one gets my jokes. /cry
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 12:14:37 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 12:05:05 AM, MTGandP wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:03:40 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:01:53 AM, MTGandP wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

How dare you call the great Ragnar_Rahl "dishonorable"!!

I was just saying the statement was, not him.

"This is both dishonorable and ignorant of YOU"

Anyway, I was joking. I was deifying RR. It was funny.

No one gets my jokes. /cry

I understood it, but my faith is not a joke. Sorry
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 12:14:46 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

The idea that Mary was a "virgin" was decided hundreds of years after Jesus was dead and gone. Someone just made it up one day because they felt like it. Read your history.
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 12:23:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 12:14:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

The idea that Mary was a "virgin" was decided hundreds of years after Jesus was dead and gone. Someone just made it up one day because they felt like it. Read your history.

I have been. Mother Mary is the most powerful woman ever on this earth. So you like your new place?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 4:59:16 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 12:23:02 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:14:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

The idea that Mary was a "virgin" was decided hundreds of years after Jesus was dead and gone. Someone just made it up one day because they felt like it. Read your history.

I have been. Mother Mary is the most powerful woman ever on this earth. So you like your new place?

If you really read your history, you would have known Mary was pregnant when she was betrothed to Joseph, not when they were married. Because sex before marriage would have been frowned upon, it is possible she lied about the child's origins.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 8:26:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 4:59:16 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:23:02 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:14:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

The idea that Mary was a "virgin" was decided hundreds of years after Jesus was dead and gone. Someone just made it up one day because they felt like it. Read your history.

I have been. Mother Mary is the most powerful woman ever on this earth. So you like your new place?

If you really read your history, you would have known Mary was pregnant when she was betrothed to Joseph, not when they were married. Because sex before marriage would have been frowned upon, it is possible she lied about the child's origins.

How dare you accuse the Virgin Mary of lieing! I don't even need to bring aything up now.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 10:02:55 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Virgin Mary was a mistranslation. It was supposed to be Young Maiden Mary.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 10:20:27 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 12:14:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

Or it just symbolized a lack of reason.

I have been. Mother Mary is the most powerful woman ever on this earth.
What kind of powers?

How dare you accuse the Virgin Mary of lieing!
That's an easy question to answer
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Achidnagar
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 1:34:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 12:14:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

The idea that Mary was a "virgin" was decided hundreds of years after Jesus was dead and gone. Someone just made it up one day because they felt like it. Read your history.

By hundreds of years after Jesus' death, one must mean at least AD 230 or so. The manuscript E 2746, a fragment from Matthew dates from the early 3rd century, contains verse 1:20, which states, "...'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.'" So that means the virgin birth was accepted as part of the gospels before or right around when you claim the concept was first made up. Quite unlikely.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 1:37:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 8:26:57 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/13/2009 4:59:16 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:23:02 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/13/2009 12:14:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

The idea that Mary was a "virgin" was decided hundreds of years after Jesus was dead and gone. Someone just made it up one day because they felt like it. Read your history.

I have been. Mother Mary is the most powerful woman ever on this earth. So you like your new place?

If you really read your history, you would have known Mary was pregnant when she was betrothed to Joseph, not when they were married. Because sex before marriage would have been frowned upon, it is possible she lied about the child's origins.

How dare you accuse the Virgin Mary of lieing! I don't even need to bring aything up now.

She may be born without sin, but it doesn't mean she won't! http://gaysocialites.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Nik
Posts: 552
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2009 2:14:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Damn Mary is hot!

Immaculate conception my arse, more like the village bicycle
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
shakti
Posts: 40
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 8:33:34 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Mary was a retelling of the story of Isis from Egyptian religion. Who knows where the Ancient Egyptians got it from. Rezz is right the translation is Maiden
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 9:57:06 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/13/2009 1:34:35 PM, Achidnagar wrote:

By hundreds of years after Jesus' death, one must mean at least AD 230 or so. The manuscript E 2746, a fragment from Matthew dates from the early 3rd century, contains verse 1:20, which states, "...'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.'" So that means the virgin birth was accepted as part of the gospels before or right around when you claim the concept was first made up. Quite unlikely.

Translation:

One night Joseph was thinking before he went to bed about what kind of story he can tell that will absolve him of guilt for having premarital sex with Mary AND let him marry her and keep having sex with her...
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 10:56:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/12/2009 11:57:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/12/2009 8:42:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Because otherwise he couldn't impregnate Mary duh.

That is both dishonorable and ignorant of you to say that. The Immaculate Conception symbolized the holiness of not only God the Father and God the Son, but also the righteousness of the Virgin Mary.

Well, it is true, unless the Bible justifies lesbian relationships. God would HAVE to be male. If he/she/it were gender neutral, that'd be kinda creepy.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 11:10:13 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 9:57:06 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 8/13/2009 1:34:35 PM, Achidnagar wrote:

By hundreds of years after Jesus' death, one must mean at least AD 230 or so. The manuscript E 2746, a fragment from Matthew dates from the early 3rd century, contains verse 1:20, which states, "...'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.'" So that means the virgin birth was accepted as part of the gospels before or right around when you claim the concept was first made up. Quite unlikely.

Translation:

One night Joseph was thinking before he went to bed about what kind of story he can tell that will absolve him of guilt for having premarital sex with Mary AND let him marry her and keep having sex with her...

This man just won the internets.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
crayon
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 11:41:52 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 9:57:06 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 8/13/2009 1:34:35 PM, Achidnagar wrote:

By hundreds of years after Jesus' death, one must mean at least AD 230 or so. The manuscript E 2746, a fragment from Matthew dates from the early 3rd century, contains verse 1:20, which states, "...'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.'" So that means the virgin birth was accepted as part of the gospels before or right around when you claim the concept was first made up. Quite unlikely.

Translation:

One night Joseph was thinking before he went to bed about what kind of story he can tell that will absolve him of guilt for having premarital sex with Mary AND let him marry her and keep having sex with her...

My translation was always that Mary went, "OH F- I'm pregnant and not with my boyfriend either! Ok, how do I cover this up. ... ...ANGELS! THAT'S IT! ANGELS! That's totally convincing and foolproof!"
Chuckles
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 12:52:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 8:33:34 AM, shakti wrote:
Mary was a retelling of the story of Isis from Egyptian religion. Who knows where the Ancient Egyptians got it from. Rezz is right the translation is Maiden

The whole virgin birth isn't exactly original. There are several deities that were supposed to have been born to a virgin, celebrated on December 25, etc
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 4:06:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Guys, God is said to be a He because he created Adam in His own image, and so it is not unreasonable to conclude that He is a male in that sense, though it doesn't really matter.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 4:34:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 4:06:22 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Guys, God is said to be a He because he created Adam in His own image, and so it is not unreasonable to conclude that He is a male in that sense, though it doesn't really matter.

This is all well and good except for the fact that nobody was exactly watching the creation and transcribing a play-by-play.

So like 1000 years later, when people actually learned to write, and a man made up the story.... why on earth would he make god a woman when men hold all the power?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2009 2:45:28 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
If God made us in his image, then why do we have different coloured skins, different faces, hair colours, etc. If there were only 2 humans in the start, it would be impossible.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2009 7:23:06 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
KNOWING THIS FIRST:
THAT in the last days SCOFFERS shall come, walking according to their own lusts.. AND that for EVERY idle word men may speak they WILL be held to account on the day of judgment..

Ticktockticktockticktock...
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2009 7:25:39 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/15/2009 7:23:06 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
KNOWING THIS FIRST:
THAT in the last days SCOFFERS shall come, walking according to their own lusts.. AND that for EVERY idle word men may speak they WILL be held to account on the day of judgment..

Ticktockticktockticktock...

You lose, so then you attempt to scare.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.