Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Questions for Atheist!

ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

I think it is only fair that I myself answer these questions with my point of view.

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?
I think the Bible was conspired to be uniformed but not by man. They exsperienced what God intended for future and then. I think each prophecy was inspired for that generation living but also future generations.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?
I think our ancestors were very smart.

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?
I think they knew quite well which animals were which.

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?
This was thier legacy and life. I think they would make it honorable.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?
I think it happens very much like it did then. It is also handled by people who want power and money. Because of this they control people. This was acients leaders did. They use demons to control. Think out symbols are not the same as all acients symbols. Our structures are not the same as those. Star aligned.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?
I know science can be wrong. The truths and facts science has uncovered is limitless. But science can be wrong and can be wrong about certain things for long periods of time.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?
It can to me.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?
Because they are consumed and inflicted by the flesh. Sometimes they are mentally not in control of thier on mind and bodies.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?
I think it real. I have seen such things. It is truely unbelieveable. Scary.

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?
What took evidence for me was when I was 8. I felt overwhelmed to go down to the alter and get saved. I got baptised. I have felt the Lord with me ever since. I have that feeling in my daily life. I have not been no saint. I have been much trouble through my teens. I was locked up alot. I have been held down by my mistakes and the lack for income in my family in a whole. It is easy to look down. But I do not. Ever place I have been and situation Ive been through, God was there. I know it was me. People like to blame. I did things I should be still locked for. I always got a break even when I was still defiant. Not until I was in my mid twenties did I really see my life and the rejection of the influence of God. I put more effort in God. Being as God wants me. I still to this day have those past anger and stupidity. Though God comforts me and talks to me. Its not a physical talk. I mentally am asked questions and told things to be and do. I refuse it. I accept it. Thats my choice. God is there to guide you by your own will to do his will. When you reject that, That will lessens. The more you accept it the more it strengthens. As it has for me. And I know it will continue.
TheAsylum
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 6:02:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

Okay, but I have noticed you don't seem to be very respectful. I hope you will live up to your promise, and in return, I promise you that after you view my responses, you will realize that you know far less about atheists than atheists do about theists :)

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?

The Bible was put together by the Catholic Church. They decided which books would go in and which books would not. If the books were divinely inspired, I would think that all the books should be included. Not just some. I suggest that more than 40 authors wrote these books, and that the Catholic Church (men) is what made it uniform.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

No. We just explain it better, and use that explanation to do wonderful things.

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

No. They just didn't know what exactly made them different. They only looked at their outward appearance and actions, then made groupings based on that. Today, we can make more accurate groupings, and the knowledge we get from that allows us to do wonderful things.

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

I think many make-believe stories are honorable and beautiful. I think stories that stretch the truth are one of the best ways to pass on morals and culture. If the Bible were completely true, and not a collection of stories with stretched truth, it would be far less beautiful and valuable.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?

No. I will say that what people experienced then is very different from what is happening today, and that there should be no reason why there is this difference.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?

Science can be wrong, and it has been wrong many times. However, I like science because part of science is to always, always check for mistakes. It is very sad when a belief system is built on the notion that something is infallible, or always correct. I find science to be honest.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

Of course it can! Why would you assume it cannot?

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?

The same reason why they have illnesses or genetic disorders. Something goes wrong in their normal functioning and they need medication in order to operate normally.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?

I have seen many cases of multiple personalities, and I have also seen cases where people have thought they were possessed by demons. In both cases, the patient gets better when we put them on medication.

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?

If God were to touch my life and give unto me a personal message, then I will devote myself wholeheartedly to his cause. My heart is not fully open to God, but neither was Saul's heart open to Christ when he appeared to him.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 6:23:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Okay, but I have noticed you don't seem to be very respectful. I hope you will live up to your promise, and in return, I promise you that after you view my responses, you will realize that you know far less about atheists than atheists do about theists :)

I doubt you truely know Christians. But I am very respectful. A smart-azz sometimes. But I also at times help to bite back. I apoligize =]

The Bible was put together by the Catholic Church. They decided which books would go in and which books would not. If the books were divinely inspired, I would think that all the books should be included. Not just some. I suggest that more than 40 authors wrote these books, and that the Catholic Church (men) is what made it uniform.

I do not doubt this, I know this. I agree. But I also believe that God ultimately controls His word because He took the effort to inspire it. I read more than just the Bible myself. I know texts have been took out. I disagree with the roman catholics alot.

I think many make-believe stories are honorable and beautiful. I think stories that stretch the truth are one of the best ways to pass on morals and culture. If the Bible were completely true, and not a collection of stories with stretched truth, it would be far less beautiful and valuable.

What is even better is they are true and literal.

Science can be wrong, and it has been wrong many times. However, I like science because part of science is to always, always check for mistakes. It is very sad when a belief system is built on the notion that something is infallible, or always correct. I find science to be honest.

Science in a whole is honest. What I have problems is where fore-shadowing becomes science. It isnt.

I have seen many cases of multiple personalities, and I have also seen cases where people have thought they were possessed by demons. In both cases, the patient gets better when we put them on medication.

Well that solves nothing. medication just makes you pass out or relax. Sometimes meds do not work. That is covering the problem not fixing it.

If God were to touch my life and give unto me a personal message, then I will devote myself wholeheartedly to his cause. My heart is not fully open to God, but neither was Saul's heart open to Christ when he appeared to him.

I pray He does.
TheAsylum
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 6:50:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 6:23:11 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I doubt you truely know Christians. But I am very respectful. A smart-azz sometimes. But I also at times help to bite back. I apoligize =]

Why would you say that you doubt I truly know Christians? Is it in your nature to judge me when this is our first interaction? That doesn't seem very Christian.

I do not doubt this, I know this. I agree. But I also believe that God ultimately controls His word because He took the effort to inspire it. I read more than just the Bible myself. I know texts have been took out. I disagree with the roman catholics alot.

As do I. You see? We actually agree on something. I feel that if God exists, then Christianity is very much a private relationship between you and God, and should have little to no interference from other people. Do you agree?

What is even better is they are true and literal.

Do you believe that the word of man is perfect?

Science in a whole is honest. What I have problems is where fore-shadowing becomes science. It isnt.

Science always spans two time periods: The past and the future. The present is made up of taking information from the past to foreshadow the future. Only when the future comes, will we realize whether or not science is right. When science is wrong, it fixes itself so that later on, there is a less chance of it being wrong.

Science is like a pipe that delivers water, with a small grate. If a rat passes through the grate, we put in a grate with smaller squares. If a mouse passes through that grate, we put an even smaller one. If a roach passes through that grate, we make it even smaller. As time goes by, science improves because it checks itself.

Well that solves nothing. medication just makes you pass out or relax. Sometimes meds do not work. That is covering the problem not fixing it.

This is not true. Neurologists can put someone suffering from a mental condition and take small pictures of their brains. If they see that something is different, they can fix it. Alternatively, many people have mental conditions as a result of producing too little or too much of chemicals in the brain, not because of demons or monsters. By giving them medication that re-balance those chemicals, they can be perfectly normal. Are they absolutely cured? No, because their body is not working correctly anymore. But they can live normal lives.

If God were to touch my life and give unto me a personal message, then I will devote myself wholeheartedly to his cause. My heart is not fully open to God, but neither was Saul's heart open to Christ when he appeared to him.

I pray He does.

I have been waiting for many, many years. I find that if God truly exists, then he is likely not the God who appears in the Christian Bible. I don't think Christians understand God. I don't think anyone really does, until God touches them personally.

I have many Christian friends who have all said that God touched their lives in some way. I ask all of them the same question: Did God tell you to read the Bible? Did God tell you to worship Jesus? Did God tell you to go to Church? Did God tell you that Islam is wrong, or that Judaism is wrong, or any other faith is wrong? Did God tell you to do anything?

None of them said that God told them to do any of those things. One friend said that God touched her by giving her a feeling of love when she was about to kill herself. Another friend had his life touched by God when his mother died of cancer. Another friend said that he became filled with fear for no reason and stayed home from work. He worked in the World Trade Towers and it was the day they fell.

None of these people who had their lives touched by God were told to read the Bible. I think God just wants us to love. Not read. Not try to tell atheists that they are wrong. Not contradict science. I don't think God wants people to protect the Bible. I think God wants us to protect each other.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,760
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 7:29:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. I have no idea how the Bible was written. I object to its contents mainly. I think what is described in the Bible was immoral.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

Of course they knew! WTF, how is this relevant?

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

Yes, they knew. Giant/dragons ect don't exist. I don't understand?

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

There over 2000 some odd religions. They can't all be true. At most, only 1 out of 2000 cultures told true stories, the rest made stuff up. So most people are inclined to lie.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?
Don't understand?

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?
Yes, science can be wrong, but it always gives the best answers.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

There is the same evidence for Christianity as there are for Islam Judaism ect. They can't all be right, and they all have books/documentation. So, books/documentation is not enough evidence.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?
Idk, stress, disillusionment, trying to find away to mentally feel pleasure or avoid pain.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?
Demons=Not real Mental disorder=real

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?
God should come down and do something in the age of science and cameras.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 7:49:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 7:29:30 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
1. I have no idea how the Bible was written. I object to its contents mainly. I think what is described in the Bible was immoral.
What do you describe as immoral? What is moral? How can you object to its contents? What authority of matters of content are you? The Bible was written over aobut 1500 years by various hebrew prophets, Jew scribes, And Jewish kings. The new testament is the life and revelation of Jesus and the apostles. Jesus fulfillng by Word the life of the foretold Messiah. The reasons for it: Through sin you owe blood, your life, a offering, but instead you give a pure animal. You must obey commands and rituals to walk with God. Through Jesus this was eliminated. No more blood sacrifice for sins, Jesus-God manifest gave his which is worthy of all sins and sinners. The law has not changed from the old testament by blood is no longer required.


2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

Of course they knew! WTF, how is this relevant?

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

Yes, they knew. Giant/dragons ect don't exist. I don't understand?

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

There over 2000 some odd religions. They can't all be true. At most, only 1 out of 2000 cultures told true stories, the rest made stuff up. So most people are inclined to lie.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?
Don't understand?

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?
Yes, science can be wrong, but it always gives the best answers.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

There is the same evidence for Christianity as there are for Islam Judaism ect. They can't all be right, and they all have books/documentation. So, books/documentation is not enough evidence.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?
Idk, stress, disillusionment, trying to find away to mentally feel pleasure or avoid pain.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?
Demons=Not real Mental disorder=real

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?
God should come down and do something in the age of science and cameras.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 7:57:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Of course they knew! WTF, how is this relevant?

Seems thier words and knowledge is ignored.

Yes, they knew. Giant/dragons ect don't exist. I don't understand?
Cause you do not see them right not cause you can prove that!

There over 2000 some odd religions. They can't all be true. At most, only 1 out of 2000 cultures told true stories, the rest made stuff up. So most people are inclined to lie.

So they are Liars? The roman catholic church is a lie. But I doubt all the stories that are uniform from the suthores themselves not because some people mande them so.

Yes, science can be wrong, but it always gives the best answers.
physically, YES.

There is the same evidence for Christianity as there are for Islam Judaism ect. They can't all be right, and they all have books/documentation. So, books/documentation is not enough evidence.
They all can have experiences. Yes they can. Not the same deity but experience.

Idk, stress, disillusionment, trying to find away to mentally feel pleasure or avoid pain.
you IDK.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?
Demons=Not real Mental disorder=real
You IDK

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?
God should come down and do something in the age of science and cameras.
That will happen in you life time IDK. It will not to be on camera or for science.
TheAsylum
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:06:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

I think that hope flew ou the window when you relished the eternal suffering of others.

I think it is only fair that I myself answer these questions with my point of view.

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?

I don't think they all conspired together. But the first writers could very well have.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

I'm sure he grasped the concept that what goes up must come down--but probably not the precise mechanics.

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

What do you mean by this?

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

I'm pretty sure they did make up make believe stories, yes.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?

I think that there are many possible explanations for supposed miracles, or communions with "God." These include subconscious influence from others, as well as, in some cases, sheer mental illness.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?

Oh no. Science can most definitely be wrong. If it never proved itself wrong, it wouldn't be science. It'd be faith.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

Further explain this. But my initial answer is that there could be many problems with translation and passing down meanings through the generations--as well as downright vague writing. That, or just manipulation.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?

Because of chemical imbalances, as well as societal conditions as an influence.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?

I think it can be explained by mental illnes, as well as subconscious influencing from others.

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?

Well, I believed in God devoutly for a very long time--and was the most devout right at the end, when my faith eroded. I don't know what it would take for me to believe again. But what got me to seriously doubt, and eventually become a weak atheist, was problem of evil and suffering, even though that has been refuted any times over. I couldn't imagine a loving being who would allow children to die slow deaths in burn centers, to cause the faithful to suffer so, to allow all the sheer cruelty in the world. It would be nice to believe, and I tried in the transition to weak atheism. But by the end I saw little point.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:07:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why would you say that you doubt I truly know Christians? Is it in your nature to judge me when this is our first interaction? That doesn't seem very Christian.

Are you Christian? And you have not experienced God. I'd say you do not know what it is to be actually a christian and believe in God, thats a fair statement. It is because you do not know what it is to have God present in your life. And thats very christian because you need to know you do not.

should have little to no interference from other people. Do you agree?

I agree with that^. Christianity is a true faith and is pure. People make impure.

Do you believe that the word of man is perfect?
God is perfect. If God inspried a man it would be perfect.

Science always spans two time periods: The past and the future. The present is made up of taking information from the past to foreshadow the future. Only when the future comes, will we realize whether or not science is right. When science is wrong, it fixes itself so that later on, there is a less chance of it being wrong.

I agree. That means they fore-shadow. No way around that.

Well that solves nothing. medication just makes you pass out or relax. Sometimes meds do not work. That is covering the problem not fixing it.

Are they absolutely cured? No, because their body is not working correctly anymore. But they can live normal lives.
Like I said^

It is just flatout nonsense to suggest God inspired a Bible and then does not want you to cherish it. Nonsense. It is nonsense to say that God can not control the path of the word He inspired. We are putting man before God. That is the problem. You put God first you will realize HIM. It is not God's point or need to prove it to you. It is yours to realize. You again outting you beofre God. If God is God why is He going to prove it to you. He has and you havent accepted it.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:14:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 8:06:20 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

I think that hope flew ou the window when you relished the eternal suffering of others.

I think it is only fair that I myself answer these questions with my point of view.

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?

I don't think they all conspired together. But the first writers could very well have.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

I'm sure he grasped the concept that what goes up must come down--but probably not the precise mechanics.

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

What do you mean by this?

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

I'm pretty sure they did make up make believe stories, yes.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?

I think that there are many possible explanations for supposed miracles, or communions with "God." These include subconscious influence from others, as well as, in some cases, sheer mental illness.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?

Oh no. Science can most definitely be wrong. If it never proved itself wrong, it wouldn't be science. It'd be faith.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

Further explain this. But my initial answer is that there could be many problems with translation and passing down meanings through the generations--as well as downright vague writing. That, or just manipulation.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?

Because of chemical imbalances, as well as societal conditions as an influence.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?

I think it can be explained by mental illnes, as well as subconscious influencing from others.

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?

Well, I believed in God devoutly for a very long time--and was the most devout right at the end, when my faith eroded. I don't know what it would take for me to believe again. But what got me to seriously doubt, and eventually become a weak atheist, was problem of evil and suffering, even though that has been refuted any times over. I couldn't imagine a loving being who would allow children to die slow deaths in burn centers, to cause the faithful to suffer so, to allow all the sheer cruelty in the world. It would be nice to believe, and I tried in the transition to weak atheism. But by the end I saw little point.

Yes you was devout with eroded faith? Very conflicting indeed.
TheAsylum
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:17:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 8:14:54 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/31/2012 8:06:20 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

I think that hope flew ou the window when you relished the eternal suffering of others.

I think it is only fair that I myself answer these questions with my point of view.

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?

I don't think they all conspired together. But the first writers could very well have.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

I'm sure he grasped the concept that what goes up must come down--but probably not the precise mechanics.

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

What do you mean by this?

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

I'm pretty sure they did make up make believe stories, yes.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?

I think that there are many possible explanations for supposed miracles, or communions with "God." These include subconscious influence from others, as well as, in some cases, sheer mental illness.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?

Oh no. Science can most definitely be wrong. If it never proved itself wrong, it wouldn't be science. It'd be faith.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

Further explain this. But my initial answer is that there could be many problems with translation and passing down meanings through the generations--as well as downright vague writing. That, or just manipulation.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?

Because of chemical imbalances, as well as societal conditions as an influence.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?

I think it can be explained by mental illnes, as well as subconscious influencing from others.

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?

Well, I believed in God devoutly for a very long time--and was the most devout right at the end, when my faith eroded. I don't know what it would take for me to believe again. But what got me to seriously doubt, and eventually become a weak atheist, was problem of evil and suffering, even though that has been refuted any times over. I couldn't imagine a loving being who would allow children to die slow deaths in burn centers, to cause the faithful to suffer so, to allow all the sheer cruelty in the world. It would be nice to believe, and I tried in the transition to weak atheism. But by the end I saw little point.

Yes you was devout with eroded faith? Very conflicting indeed.

Clarification: I was devout as far as believing goes. I didn't go to church or anything, but I very strongly believe in the christian God.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:17:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 8:17:25 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 5/31/2012 8:14:54 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 5/31/2012 8:06:20 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

I think that hope flew ou the window when you relished the eternal suffering of others.

I think it is only fair that I myself answer these questions with my point of view.

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?

I don't think they all conspired together. But the first writers could very well have.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

I'm sure he grasped the concept that what goes up must come down--but probably not the precise mechanics.

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

What do you mean by this?

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

I'm pretty sure they did make up make believe stories, yes.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?

I think that there are many possible explanations for supposed miracles, or communions with "God." These include subconscious influence from others, as well as, in some cases, sheer mental illness.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?

Oh no. Science can most definitely be wrong. If it never proved itself wrong, it wouldn't be science. It'd be faith.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

Further explain this. But my initial answer is that there could be many problems with translation and passing down meanings through the generations--as well as downright vague writing. That, or just manipulation.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?

Because of chemical imbalances, as well as societal conditions as an influence.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?

I think it can be explained by mental illnes, as well as subconscious influencing from others.

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?

Well, I believed in God devoutly for a very long time--and was the most devout right at the end, when my faith eroded. I don't know what it would take for me to believe again. But what got me to seriously doubt, and eventually become a weak atheist, was problem of evil and suffering, even though that has been refuted any times over. I couldn't imagine a loving being who would allow children to die slow deaths in burn centers, to cause the faithful to suffer so, to allow all the sheer cruelty in the world. It would be nice to believe, and I tried in the transition to weak atheism. But by the end I saw little point.

Yes you was devout with eroded faith? Very conflicting indeed.

Clarification: I was devout as far as believing goes. I didn't go to church or anything, but I very strongly believed in the christian God.

Fix'd.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:31:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?

In some cases, an author from one period based his work upon works from a previous period -- for instance, X did Y in accordance with previous writing Z, and I know you guys have a lot of respect for Z, so you should pay attention to X as well. You might call that a one-way conspiracy.


2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?

That's two separate questions. To answer the first, a man in 500BC knew that rock-go-up, rock-come-down. To answer the second, he did not know that rock-attract-earth-with-force-proportional-to-mass-and-inversely-proportional-to-distance.

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?

I suggest that there are people TODAY who don't know the difference.

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?

Upon seeing this question, my girlfriend remarked that the first work of fiction ever created was probably, "Ugh. Ugh caught fish THIS BIG."

Yes, of course they did. Consider the Homeric epics. Consider the Greek tragedies.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?

The experiences themselves are still happening, to the extent that the objects of those experiences having been disproven will allow.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?

Science isn't a series of facts or propositions; it's a method. Methods either work or they don't. Ones that don't work tend to be discarded. Ones that do work are used again. Ones that work really, really well might still be in use thousands of years later.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?

For the same reason thousand of years of documentation and endless personal accounts don't record as evidence of the Buddha to you.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?

Because their brains are malfunctioning.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?

See above.

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?

I have had a file on my various computers since 1998. It's an encrypted file, the encryption of which I update every couple years or so. This file contains a sentence that only I know. If someone tells me what that sentence is, and vouches for the fact that they received that information from a deity, I will accept that as strong evidence for that deity.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 9:22:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Clarification: I was devout as far as believing goes. I didn't go to church or anything, but I very strongly believe in the christian God.

I can not tell you are atheist.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 9:30:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In some cases, an author from one period based his work upon works from a previous period -- for instance, X did Y in accordance with previous writing Z, and I know you guys have a lot of respect for Z, so you should pay attention to X as well. You might call that a one-way conspiracy.

I disagree. That is a assumption you can not prove. You can not prove of writings, many, from hundreds of years before history we know happened.

That's two separate questions. To answer the first, a man in 500BC knew that rock-go-up, rock-come-down. To answer the second, he did not know that rock-attract-earth-with-force-proportional-to-mass-and-inversely-proportional-to-distance.

Why does he need to know that if he grasps the general concept?

Upon seeing this question, my girlfriend remarked that the first work of fiction ever created was probably, "Ugh. Ugh caught fish THIS BIG."

Yes, of course they did. Consider the Homeric epics. Consider the Greek tragedies.

You say it like you have proof they are fiction.

For the same reason thousand of years of documentation and endless personal accounts don't record as evidence of the Buddha to you.

It does for me.


I have had a file on my various computers since 1998. It's an encrypted file, the encryption of which I update every couple years or so. This file contains a sentence that only I know. If someone tells me what that sentence is, and vouches for the fact that they received that information from a deity, I will accept that as strong evidence for that deity.

Wont happen and sadly you will die without knowing.
TheAsylum
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 10:16:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 8:07:12 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
Are you Christian? And you have not experienced God. I'd say you do not know what it is to be actually a christian and believe in God, thats a fair statement. It is because you do not know what it is to have God present in your life. And thats very christian because you need to know you do not.

No, I'd say you're pretty much wrong, and that you come off a bit patronizing. If you take this approach in spreading the good news, you'd be doing your religion a disservice. The question wasn't whether or not I know God, or Christ. The question was whether I knew Christians. I know Christians.

God is perfect. If God inspried a man it would be perfect.

How do you fit an endless ocean into a cup the size of your hand?

I agree. That means they fore-shadow. No way around that.

The strength of science is in the foreshadowing. When they take the past to learn what will happen in the future. The fact that you are typing on a computer is due to the fact that science can foreshadow.

Are they absolutely cured? No, because their body is not working correctly anymore. But they can live normal lives.
Like I said^

When God isn't repairing humans, science will. That's all. If he had made us a little more resilient, we wouldn't be having these problems.

It is just flatout nonsense to suggest God inspired a Bible and then does not want you to cherish it. Nonsense. It is nonsense to say that God can not control the path of the word He inspired. We are putting man before God. That is the problem. You put God first you will realize HIM. It is not God's point or need to prove it to you. It is yours to realize. You again outting you beofre God. If God is God why is He going to prove it to you. He has and you havent accepted it.

Why are you sharing the news in anger? Why do you yell when you should be praising? Why are you using force instead of love? If Christ saw you spreading the word the way you are, would he be pleased? Perhaps you should exhibit more patience in your posts. You realize that people are not reacting positively to what you post. It is not because their hearts are not open. It is because you are trying to shake our hands with a clenched fist.

God created an entire planet and an entire population, and his only son has commanded us to love and respect one another, above all else, did he not? Would God have you cherish the Bible over your fellow man? Would God have you cherish the words of men in robes and hats over your neighbors?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 10:28:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No, I'd say you're pretty much wrong, and that you come off a bit patronizing. If you take this approach in spreading the good news, you'd be doing your religion a disservice. The question wasn't whether or not I know God, or Christ. The question was whether I knew Christians. I know Christians.

So you know Christians. What is most important to Christians? What are we promised? What do we believe?
How do you fit an endless ocean into a cup the size of your hand?
I have no idea what you mean?

It is just flatout nonsense to suggest God inspired a Bible and then does not want you to cherish it. Nonsense. It is nonsense to say that God can not control the path of the word He inspired. We are putting man before God. That is the problem. You put God first you will realize HIM. It is not God's point or need to prove it to you. It is yours to realize. You again outting you beofre God. If God is God why is He going to prove it to you. He has and you havent accepted it.

Why are you sharing the news in anger? Why do you yell when you should be praising? Why are you using force instead of love? If Christ saw you spreading the word the way you are, would he be pleased? Perhaps you should exhibit more patience in your posts. You realize that people are not reacting positively to what you post. It is not because their hearts are not open. It is because you are trying to shake our hands with a clenched fist.

It is not in anger. It is firm truth. I will not side track or twist the actual words to justify anyones stance. I say again:
We are putting man before God. That is the problem. You put God first you will realize HIM. It is not God's point or need to prove it to you. It is yours to realize. You again outting you beofre God. If God is God why is He going to prove it to you. He has and you havent accepted it.

God created an entire planet and an entire population, and his only son has commanded us to love and respect one another, above all else, did he not? Would God have you cherish the Bible over your fellow man? Would God have you cherish the words of men in robes and hats over your neighbors?

He flooded all of man kind for those exzact things and said it will again be that way, IDK, you tell me?
TheAsylum
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:15:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 9:30:32 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
In some cases, an author from one period based his work upon works from a previous period -- for instance, X did Y in accordance with previous writing Z, and I know you guys have a lot of respect for Z, so you should pay attention to X as well. You might call that a one-way conspiracy.

I disagree. That is a assumption you can not prove. You can not prove of writings, many, from hundreds of years before history we know happened.

It's not an assumption. Matthew 26:56 flatly states, "all this has happened so that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled."

That's two separate questions. To answer the first, a man in 500BC knew that rock-go-up, rock-come-down. To answer the second, he did not know that rock-attract-earth-with-force-proportional-to-mass-and-inversely-proportional-to-distance.

Why does he need to know that if he grasps the general concept?

The general concept of what? Rock-go-up, rock-come-down? Anyone who didn't figure that one out would die of falling rocks before passing on their genes.

Upon seeing this question, my girlfriend remarked that the first work of fiction ever created was probably, "Ugh. Ugh caught fish THIS BIG."

Yes, of course they did. Consider the Homeric epics. Consider the Greek tragedies.

You say it like you have proof they are fiction.

The zombies walking the streets of Jerusalem are kind of a giveaway, don't you think?

For the same reason thousand of years of documentation and endless personal accounts don't record as evidence of the Buddha to you.

It does for me.

Really? You're a metaphysical Buddhist?

I have had a file on my various computers since 1998. It's an encrypted file, the encryption of which I update every couple years or so. This file contains a sentence that only I know. If someone tells me what that sentence is, and vouches for the fact that they received that information from a deity, I will accept that as strong evidence for that deity.

Wont happen and sadly you will die without knowing.

Interesting that, for your claims that small-scale miracles still happen today, you can still say right off the bat that that will not happen.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 12:13:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 10:28:31 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
So you know Christians. What is most important to Christians? What are we promised? What do we believe?

Off the top of my head? The most important things to Christians are to follow the commandments of Christ to love God with heart, mind, and soul, and to love their neighbors as they love themselves. They strive to live with the grace of Christ as Christ did before them. They strive to spread the Good News to all who will hear, making followers of all nations.

They are promised salvation and redemption not through works, but through faith and the grace of God, by accepting that Christ died on the cross to forgive their sins and rose on the third day. Only through Christ can one obtain salvation.

Christians believe in one Trinity composed of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are one and the same, one God.

How do you fit an endless ocean into a cup the size of your hand?
I have no idea what you mean?

The word of God is like an endless ocean, and man is like a small cup. No matter how perfect God may be, how can that perfection be even remotely expressed if man is the tool? Even if the Bible is divinely inspired, it doesn't mean that it is perfect and infallible just because God is perfect and infallible. Simply by being heard by man, the word of God becomes flawed.

It is not in anger. It is firm truth. I will not side track or twist the actual words to justify anyones stance. I say again:
We are putting man before God. That is the problem. You put God first you will realize HIM. It is not God's point or need to prove it to you. It is yours to realize. You again outting you beofre God. If God is God why is He going to prove it to you. He has and you havent accepted it.

Re-read the parable of the sower.

God created an entire planet and an entire population, and his only son has commanded us to love and respect one another, above all else, did he not? Would God have you cherish the Bible over your fellow man? Would God have you cherish the words of men in robes and hats over your neighbors?

He flooded all of man kind for those exzact things and said it will again be that way, IDK, you tell me?

God flooded man for doing evil unto one another and for sinning against him. God has never once reproached someone for refusing to follow the Bible. His intentions are clear.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 12:24:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Off the top of my head? The most important things to Christians are to follow the commandments of Christ to love God with heart, mind, and soul, and to love their neighbors as they love themselves. They strive to live with the grace of Christ as Christ did before them. They strive to spread the Good News to all who will hear, making followers of all nations.

They are promised salvation and redemption not through works, but through faith and the grace of God, by accepting that Christ died on the cross to forgive their sins and rose on the third day. Only through Christ can one obtain salvation.

Christians believe in one Trinity composed of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are one and the same, one God.

You know Christians. My apologises.

The word of God is like an endless ocean, and man is like a small cup. No matter how perfect God may be, how can that perfection be even remotely expressed if man is the tool? Even if the Bible is divinely inspired, it doesn't mean that it is perfect and infallible just because God is perfect and infallible. Simply by being heard by man, the word of God becomes flawed.

True!
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 12:25:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago

Interesting that, for your claims that small-scale miracles still happen today, you can still say right off the bat that that will not happen.

Challenge me Dave.
TheAsylum
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 1:53:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

I think it is only fair that I myself answer these questions with my point of view.

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?
I think the Bible was conspired to be uniformed but not by man. They exsperienced what God intended for future and then. I think each prophecy was inspired for that generation living but also future generations.

Yes.

2. Do you suggest that man in 500Bc did not know that if he threw a rock in the air, it would come down(gravity)?
I think our ancestors were very smart.

*facepalm*

3. Are you suggesting that people in acient times did not know the difference between dragons, giants, and various mythical creatures against animals of today?
I think they knew quite well which animals were which.

What kind of strawman questions are these?!

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?
This was thier legacy and life. I think they would make it honorable.

Yes. People lie, especially to make people do what they want.

5. Are you verifing that what people exsperienced then are not happening today (smaller scale)?
I think it happens very much like it did then. It is also handled by people who want power and money. Because of this they control people. This was acients leaders did. They use demons to control. Think out symbols are not the same as all acients symbols. Our structures are not the same as those. Star aligned.

Yes. People were mistaken then and they're mistaken now.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?
I know science can be wrong. The truths and facts science has uncovered is limitless. But science can be wrong and can be wrong about certain things for long periods of time.

No. Science can be wrong.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?
It can to me.

Thousands of years of documentation: Continued efforts to maintain religious power.
Endless personal accounts: I've been anal probed by an alien on a saucer shaped spaceship.

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?
Because they are consumed and inflicted by the flesh. Sometimes they are mentally not in control of thier on mind and bodies.

Because they love a God who doesn't really do a lot to help them. What kind of parent is God? A crap one.

9. What do think of demonic pocession and multiple personalities?
I think it real. I have seen such things. It is truely unbelieveable. Scary.

Multiple personality disorder is very, very rare...

10. What will take evidence for you that God exist?
A voice in my head tells me what to do.

I don't feel God. I don't hear God. I don't see any evidence of God.
I would need overt evidence.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Susej12
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 4:57:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'll answer some for you

At 5/31/2012 5:30:01 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I have a few questions for atheist. May the decussion remain respectful!

I think it is only fair that I myself answer these questions with my point of view.

1. Do you suggest that 40 authors from hundreds of years apart conspired to write the Bible (uniform)?
I think the Bible was conspired to be uniformed but not by man. They exsperienced what God intended for future and then. I think each prophecy was inspired for that generation living but also future generations.

Why is it so internally inconsisent then? (http://sciencebasedlife.files.wordpress.com... -- it is very inconsistent.....)

4. Are you suggesting that acient peoples are liars and/or created make believe stories of thier culture?
This was thier legacy and life. I think they would make it honorable.

Well that's nice.

6. Do you stand confirmed that science can not be wrong?
I know science can be wrong. The truths and facts science has uncovered is limitless. But science can be wrong and can be wrong about certain things for long periods of time.

Does not mean some things can't be proven.

7. Why can not thousands of years of documentation and endless personnel accounts not record as evidence to you?
It can to me.

So why aren't you worshipping Zeus?

8. Why do you think people have sever to minor mental disorders?
Because they are consumed and inflicted by the flesh. Sometimes they are mentally not in control of thier on mind and bodies.

This one is just lack of knowledge on your part.
Susej12
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 5:08:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 5:02:46 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
.

This one is just lack of knowledge on your part.

You lack of true knowledge is very observent.

Huh? I'm not even sure what that means.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2012 5:09:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 5:08:07 PM, Susej12 wrote:
At 6/7/2012 5:02:46 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
.

This one is just lack of knowledge on your part.

You lack of true knowledge is very observent.

Huh? I'm not even sure what that means.

That was the point!
TheAsylum
Susej12
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2012 8:07:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/7/2012 5:09:06 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 6/7/2012 5:08:07 PM, Susej12 wrote:
At 6/7/2012 5:02:46 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
.

This one is just lack of knowledge on your part.

You lack of true knowledge is very observent.

Huh? I'm not even sure what that means.

That was the point!

That you can't formulate sentences properly?
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2012 1:46:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/2/2012 12:25:41 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Interesting that, for your claims that small-scale miracles still happen today, you can still say right off the bat that that will not happen.

Challenge me Dave.

Challenge you on what?
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 6:09:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/9/2012 1:46:12 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 6/2/2012 12:25:41 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Interesting that, for your claims that small-scale miracles still happen today, you can still say right off the bat that that will not happen.

Challenge me Dave.

Challenge you on what?

IDK now!lol!Choose something interesting.
TheAsylum