Jump to topic:

Why are Christians so opposed?

Wick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:14:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yay, first post! I won't bother with a self-introduction. If you want to know anything, click my profile.
On to the topic.
I'm most unfortunately living in a rural area, as I have been for the past couple years of my life. Being in the midst of the Bible-belt, I've noticed something.
Most Christians I meet are dead-against anything related to the 'occult' or, heaven forbid, the word 'magic'. They won't read any fantasy books; students would throw fits if one was a reading requirement for a class. Nobody celebrates Halloween. The school play, which had been a rendition of Blithe Spirit, was cancelled due to controversy among parents.

All this opposition to a concept that hasn't even been proven to exist, and yet, if you ask any of them, they will say without a doubt that it doesn't exist, whatsoever, which even goes against the biblical beliefs that witches, enchanters and what-have-you were real and should be put to death.

The ultimate question is...why be so deathly hateful towards something that doesn't exist? If there's nothing to worry about, why worry?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:52:21 AM
At 6/1/2012 10:14:38 AM, Wick wrote:
Yay, first post! I won't bother with a self-introduction. If you want to know anything, click my profile.
On to the topic.
I'm most unfortunately living in a rural area, as I have been for the past couple years of my life. Being in the midst of the Bible-belt, I've noticed something.
Most Christians I meet are dead-against anything related to the 'occult' or, heaven forbid, the word 'magic'. They won't read any fantasy books; students would throw fits if one was a reading requirement for a class. Nobody celebrates Halloween. The school play, which had been a rendition of Blithe Spirit, was cancelled due to controversy among parents.

All this opposition to a concept that hasn't even been proven to exist, and yet, if you ask any of them, they will say without a doubt that it doesn't exist, whatsoever, which even goes against the biblical beliefs that witches, enchanters and what-have-you were real and should be put to death.

The ultimate question is...why be so deathly hateful towards something that doesn't exist? If there's nothing to worry about, why worry?

http://www.chick.com...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 11:57:00 AM
I loved reading that comic so much! The greatest thing about religious books and comics is that, when they are made by people who only know how to proselytise and no little about actual literary techniques, they can easily have accidental irony, such as in that comic. Basically, the woman is leaving one "mind bondage" to join another... :D
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:10:55 PM
On to the topic.

I live in a bible belt rual area and I have not problem getting into halloween, reading every single harry potter book and the "Sword of Truth" books, I play yugioh, pokemon, I've got know problem with this kind of stuff.

there is real 'occult' type stuff out there though that people should stay out of but do to ignorance more gets gets roped into being looked at like its occultist stuff largely out of paranoid fear. I shake my head and sigh every-time I see someone buy an extra piece of gum just because there change as going to come up 666 and they didn't like that.

Its the same reason Eve said "God said were not supposed to touch the tree" to the serpent. God did not tell her that. he said don't eat its fruit. but she created a wider barrier of what she considered God said is bad just to steer far and clear of it, and in the end it did not help.

Thing is I know you want to try roping this off to just a "christian bible belt" way of behaving but its just a human way of behaving, whether your theist or atheist. fears are rarely based on reasonable grounds with anyone. and it usually takes a friend with cool head to talk reason to you in a patient way to get you to let go of the fear, because when we are afraid or angry, or even some positive emotions to be roped in with that like in twitterpated love, or ability to make logical judgments is hindered without our even noticing it.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:21:26 PM
On to the topic.

There are several facets of thought within Christianity.

Harry Potter, Halloween etc are not believed to be real, but believed to give a 'love' or predisposition for children to like that sort of thing. This love of magic and such will lead to a pursuit of real magic.

Same reason the church avidly combats sexual lust practices. A gateway concept.

We do believe in real magic sources, like Wicca and the occult and that real beings give real power to such practices within magical sects and the occult. We believe these things are VERY real.

It does not make Harry Potter wrong, same as 'liking girls/boys' is not wrong. The key in youth development is proper lines and distinctions being able to be drawn prior to exposure.

As for the Bible belt, I have lived everywhere up and down the east coast. From Boston MA to Philly to Amish Lancaster County to Raleigh NC, to Greenville SC, to North GA.
Very little is different in these concepts, on that the educational level of places like North GA is much higher than mainstream cities.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:28:44 PM
On to the topic.

I trip out when i hear things like this about Christians..

I have no idea why those people freak out.. I watch and read all kinda fantasy stuff.

Halloween is awesome.. i love scary movies (especially demonic or satan centered; only thing that freaks me out lol..)

Are there other Christians on here that are offended or feel opposed to any of those things?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:14:45 PM
KJV-R (Webster) Deuteronomy 18:10 There shall not be found among you any onethat maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, orthat useth divination, oran observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things arean abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

This is why the fear it. I is wrong. I am not saying all things are magic ot witches. But these things do exist and if it is practiced or reconized then evil will come forth from it.
TheAsylum
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:46:25 PM
I actually have a friend who explained witchcraft from a quantum mechanics perspective. How pentagrams work. It's all 100% over my head. Anyway, he explains it all here:

But anyway, my Grandpa was a warlock. Crazy guy. He got diabetes so they had to amputate his leg so he gave the leg bone to a witch so she could make it into a wand. My mom has some strange stories about growing up with him. Like stuff she saw/experienced when she went to some of his meetings/gatherings. So I believe in witchcraft. I don't think it's a good idea to mess with it (opening up other dimensions and all that). But I do believe in it.

I played Pokemon as a kid. Albeit, without my parents knowing (they didn't like pokemon). It supports evolution a lot more then witchcraft so I don't see any problem with it. (Well, I am a creationist, but anyone who starts believing in evolution just because of Pokemon is an idiot).

My Dad was also into witchcraft. So, with that sort of background they really didn't want us getting into it at all.

But finally, like, a few months ago I watched the first three Harry Potter movies. To me, it was too cheesy and kiddish. Just not something I could get into. Also, I didn't like it for the same reason I didn't like twilight. Falling in love with a vampire is absolutely moronic. Getting into *real* witchcraft is moronic. Fake witchcraft is just cheesy.

I don't think dark stuff is all that cool. I never liked dark poetry, dark music, dark movies (well, The Crow was sick, but that's about it) mainly because it's way too serious.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 2:20:52 PM
At 6/1/2012 1:46:25 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
I actually have a friend who explained witchcraft from a quantum mechanics perspective. How pentagrams work. It's all 100% over my head. Anyway, he explains it all here:

But anyway, my Grandpa was a warlock. Crazy guy. He got diabetes so they had to amputate his leg so he gave the leg bone to a witch so she could make it into a wand. My mom has some strange stories about growing up with him. Like stuff she saw/experienced when she went to some of his meetings/gatherings. So I believe in witchcraft. I don't think it's a good idea to mess with it (opening up other dimensions and all that). But I do believe in it.

I played Pokemon as a kid. Albeit, without my parents knowing (they didn't like pokemon). It supports evolution a lot more then witchcraft so I don't see any problem with it. (Well, I am a creationist, but anyone who starts believing in evolution just because of Pokemon is an idiot).

My Dad was also into witchcraft. So, with that sort of background they really didn't want us getting into it at all.

But finally, like, a few months ago I watched the first three Harry Potter movies. To me, it was too cheesy and kiddish. Just not something I could get into. Also, I didn't like it for the same reason I didn't like twilight. Falling in love with a vampire is absolutely moronic. Getting into *real* witchcraft is moronic. Fake witchcraft is just cheesy.

I don't think dark stuff is all that cool. I never liked dark poetry, dark music, dark movies (well, The Crow was sick, but that's about it) mainly because it's way too serious.

Donnie Darko is where i draw the line usually.. lol It's not and evil movie, per se, but it's just f*ckn wierd!!.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:42:09 PM
At 6/1/2012 2:20:52 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/1/2012 1:46:25 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:

Donnie Darko is where i draw the line usually.. lol It's not and evil movie, per se, but it's just f*ckn wierd!!.

Hahaha, yeah, I have a hard time stomaching the weird stuff too ;P
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:27:25 PM
What's evil about Rock music?
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 5:26:53 AM
On to the topic.

Satan does exist, and has power; he is 'the god of this world' which is why disease, sorrow and death reign supreme..

The Occult is very real and very dangerous.

Some Christians go too far with the Harry potter stuff, if you can discern between fantasy and reality it's harmless enough..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Tnkissfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 1:55:23 PM
On to the topic.

I don't know what sect of Christianity is out where you live but....on the contrary most Christians believe they do indeed exist,hence the need to stay away from them. Maybe your area has some little known sub-sect of conventional denominations.
At any rate, yes I believe they exist and yes,I believe you should stay away from them. It's a very fine line. I don't think fantasy books are a big deal. As a teenager I read about about occult,tarot....even the satanic bible. None of those things in and of itself affected me in a negative way,at the time, but it's something you have to be very careful about. I got away from God for a long time and now I'm just trying to master "the basics" again. I wasted alot of time and I wish I had not spent so much time on subjects of little substance ( in my opinion ).