Jump to topic:

Stories

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:49:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Stories are the blood of religion and the soul of mankind. We live by stories, we die by stories, we sometimes even need a good story more than food"

I think I got that quote right.

The point is, everybody has a story (whether they know it or not), everybody wants to hear a story (whether they know it or not.) One person's story may seem illogical and plain wrong to another person, while to that person it is completely correct and the truth. Everyone has a path they will travel, they will encounter choices, and they will make decisions. So, I have a message:

To atheists: Many of you started out believing the same stories as the theists, then you gradually converted. But, here's the thing, that does not give you the right to ridicule and insult someone else's personal story. No matter how much you disbelieve that Jesus was divine, was what he taught really that bad? "Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these." No matter what you believe about the religion is there really anything wrong with this teaching which is GREATER than anything other commandment in the bible? Also, on a side note, to many people religion is a comfort, the belief in a higher divine being is a comfort, is this necessarily a bad thing to believe in something which, according to YOU, is incorrect? Is it bad to believe in something no matter how illogical it seems? People are not completely rational and logical.

To theists: See the overall message to the atheists. Honestly, you are the ones who do believe that Jesus, Mohammed, etc. are divine and/or carry the word of God. aka. LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF. Even Muslims believe that the Bible (they just believe it is corrupted I do not believe Muslims would object to the passage). Where does it say in your holy scripture, "thou shall ridicule and insult those who are atheist/agnostic/not my religion?" *cough* comparing atheists to bricks *cough*

While I recognize these people are in the minority (at least from what I can see) many of them are rather outspoken and belligerent. Why? What is your motive?
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:59:57 PM
At 6/1/2012 8:49:51 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
"Stories are the blood of religion and the soul of mankind. We live by stories, we die by stories, we sometimes even need a good story more than food"

The point is, everybody has a story (whether they know it or not), everybody wants to hear a story (whether they know it or not.) One person's story may seem illogical and plain wrong to another person, while to that person it is completely correct and the truth. Everyone has a path they will travel, they will encounter choices, and they will make decisions. So, I have a message:

To atheists: Many of you started out believing the same stories as the theists, then you gradually converted. But, here's the thing, that does not give you the right to ridicule and insult someone else's personal story. No matter how much you disbelieve that Jesus was divine, was what he taught really that bad? "Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these." No matter what you believe about the religion is there really anything wrong with this teaching which is GREATER than anything other commandment in the bible? Also, on a side note, to many people religion is a comfort, the belief in a higher divine being is a comfort, is this necessarily a bad thing to believe in something which, according to YOU, is incorrect? Is it bad to believe in something no matter how illogical it seems? People are not completely rational and logical.

To theists: See the overall message to the atheists. Honestly, you are the ones who do believe that Jesus, Mohammed, etc. are divine and/or carry the word of God. aka. LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOU LOVE YOURSELF. Even Muslims believe that the Bible (they just believe it is corrupted I do not believe Muslims would object to the passage). Where does it say in your holy scripture, "thou shall ridicule and insult those who are atheist/agnostic/not my religion?" *cough* comparing atheists to bricks *cough*

While I recognize these people are in the minority (at least from what I can see) many of them are rather outspoken and belligerent. Why? What is your motive?

oh man.. you just opened up a can of worms..

I've posted similar threads, of course, a bit more antagonistic; but they were pretty brutal.

Expect to here a bunch about how theists are who to blame and blah blah blah...
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:06:18 PM

1. I'm going to ridicule any belief and believer that condemns me to hell based upon the myths of ignorant Neolithic goat herders.
2. If there wasn't the very real threat of people trying to get religion in our schools and laws, then I honestly wouldn't care what you believe.

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:06:45 PM
At 6/1/2012 8:59:57 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

oh man.. you just opened up a can of worms..

I've posted similar threads, of course, a bit more antagonistic; but they were pretty brutal.

Expect to here a bunch about how theists are who to blame and blah blah blah...

That's the point. Both parties are to blame.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:07:50 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:06:18 PM, drafterman wrote:

1. I'm going to ridicule any belief and believer that condemns me to hell based upon the myths of ignorant Neolithic goat herders.

Why? What is your reasoning? Does your logic carry anymore weight?

2. If there wasn't the very real threat of people trying to get religion in our schools and laws, then I honestly wouldn't care what you believe.

So ridiculing people makes your logic seem better?

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:09:34 PM
Also, drafterman, you what is wrong with this portion of the bible? "Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:12:11 PM
I don't, or try my best not to.

I'm just as annoyed when theists act like ten-year-olds as when atheists do it, probably more so with theists.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:13:17 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:12:11 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I'm just as annoyed when theists act like ten-year-olds as when atheists do it, probably more so with theists.

And this is how the flame wars begin....was that last part really needed?
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:14:04 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:13:17 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 6/1/2012 9:12:11 PM, OberHerr wrote:

And this is how the flame wars begin....was that last part really needed?

I think I misread that as saying"probably [happens] more so with theists" whoops...
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:14:57 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:09:34 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
Also, drafterman, you what is wrong with this portion of the bible? "Love your neighbor as you love yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

Why does there have to be something wrong with it?
There are "good" parts and "bad" parts in the bible, as with any religious text.
But does one really need god for that to be true?
Sapere Aude!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:15:24 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:07:50 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 6/1/2012 9:06:18 PM, drafterman wrote:

Logic. There's nothing to do with logic here. Some backwards tribesmen 2000 years ago set down some rules that condemns me to hell and people today follow them. There is no logic in it, and I ridicule it. It is deserving of ridicule.

What logic are you going on about?

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:16:54 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:14:57 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:

There doesn't. Many people just hate the bible because...they hate the bible.

There are "good" parts and "bad" parts in the bible, as with any religious text.

Considering love is greater than anything else proclaimed....

I never said this.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:17:50 PM
@DM

It's not as if we want you to go to hell.

And, irregardless, that does not give you the right to act like an A-hole.

Just, take the high road.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:19:27 PM

Nothing. You want to know the best part? You don't need the Bible to follow it.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:19:54 PM

Logic. There's nothing to do with logic here. Some backwards tribesmen 2000 years ago set down some rules that condemns me to hell and people today follow them. There is no logic in it, and I ridicule it. It is deserving of ridicule.

Really? It has everything to do with logic. Are you not using logic to derive your conclusion? Are you deserving of ridicule for your beliefs? Some theists think what you believe is illogical and deserving of ridicule. Would/do you like that? What exactly is wrong with loving people even if you do not like their belief system?

You are opposed to religion being in schools why exactly? Because you believe the beliefs are wrong or illogical. You must use logic to proclaim your beliefs.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:20:34 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:19:27 PM, drafterman wrote:

When did I say you did? How are you loving someone by ridiculing them?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:20:40 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:17:50 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@DM

Uhm... What's the high road, exactly? Sitting idly by while people gleefully condemn me to hell, ridicule me for not believing in fairy tales, and let them push their religion into schools and government?

No.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:21:02 PM
@DM

Bingo.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:21:40 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:20:40 PM, drafterman wrote:
@DM

Uhm... What's the high road, exactly? Sitting idly by while people gleefully condemn me to hell, ridicule me for not believing in fairy tales, and let them push their religion into schools and government?

No.

Whose gleefully condemning you to hell? And why does this give you the right to ridicule them even if they ridicule you?
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:22:20 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:21:40 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
@DM

No.

Whose gleefully condemning you to hell? And why does this give you the right to ridicule them even if they ridicule you?

You don't believe in it, so why does it matter so much?
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:22:54 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:16:54 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

They don't hate on the bible for saying love thy neighbor. They hate on it for saying that non-Christians are condemned to an eternity in hell and gays/people who talk back to their parents would be slaughtered.

Perhaps that is your opinion, but the bible teaches hate as well. It teaches intolerance and bigotry. Christians just ignore those parts and atheists pounce on them.

I never said this.
Then what is the point of the bible?
Sapere Aude!
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:23:50 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:15:24 PM, drafterman wrote:

How you figure that?

You didn't strike me as an outright, career misanthropist.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:26:03 PM
DM, even if some radicals are doing that, why does that give you the right to ridicule ALL of them, for a couple radicals acts?

You realize I often get made fun of at school for my personal beliefs, merely because their "not cool", and "unscientific", even though I bet you almost all of the kids there couldn't tell me crap about why thats the case if I actually got into an argument with them?

Do you see me going around, getting mad at atheists, JUST because their atheists?

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:26:37 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:19:54 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Really? It has everything to do with logic. Are you not using logic to derive your conclusion? Are you deserving of ridicule for your beliefs? Some theists think what you believe is illogical and deserving of ridicule. Would/do you like that? What exactly is wrong with loving people even if you do not like their belief system?

What logic and conclusion are you talking about?
And I don't care what theists think about my believes. Maybe I do deserve ridicule, I welcome the criticism.

You are opposed to religion being in schools why exactly? Because you believe the beliefs are wrong or illogical. You must use logic to proclaim your beliefs.

No, it doesn't belong in schools because they are baseless.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:27:32 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:20:34 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Ask your fellow Christians when you see the ridiculing me.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:28:31 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:22:54 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 6/1/2012 9:16:54 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

They don't hate on the bible for saying love thy neighbor. They hate on it for saying that non-Christians are condemned to an eternity in hell and gays/people who talk back to their parents would be slaughtered.

Love is greater than anything else it specifically says that....

Perhaps that is your opinion, but the bible teaches hate as well. It teaches intolerance and bigotry. Christians just ignore those parts and atheists pounce on them.

It specifically says love is greater than anything else...

I never said this.
Then what is the point of the bible?

To provide dogmatic truth for believers. You can still follow the bible without believing it.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:29:05 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:27:32 PM, drafterman wrote:

I'm not Christian.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:29:35 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:27:32 PM, drafterman wrote:

Thing is, I don't.

And that doesn't give you the right to ridicule any theist, merely because their a theist.

Thats like me ridiculing every German because of what Hitler did.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:29:45 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:21:40 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
@DM

No.

Plenty of Christians. Specifics? Scotty for one. And how doesn't that give me the right to fight back?