Jump to topic:

Requested by Drafterman. TO ALL CHRISTIANS

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:42:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I suggest you all reread Mark 12:30-31...

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:46:17 PM
At 6/1/2012 9:42:23 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle, That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." Brennan Manning

Not saying he is right about Christians being the main reason, but nonetheless it applies to the thread.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 11:12:40 PM
At 6/1/2012 10:46:17 PM, stubs wrote:

"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle, That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." Brennan Manning

Not saying he is right about Christians being the main reason, but nonetheless it applies to the thread.

Romans, Chapter 2:

23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: "God's name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you."[b]
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 11:19:46 PM
At 6/1/2012 11:12:40 PM, Ren wrote:

Romans, Chapter 2:

23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: "God's name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you."[b]

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying haha
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 11:47:00 PM
God is love! - Rev Run
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 4:47:47 AM

As long as you are not turning 'God is love' into 'Love is god' ~a subtle and therefore easy deception to fall into..

If I love then I share the Gospel..

if I love then I give them the dignity of expecting them to obey DDO rules and regs..

if I love then I am salt (character, myself which brings out the true flavour of DDO) and light. (I show others how to respond, NOT to be intimidated etc)
The Cross.. the Cross.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 5:56:33 AM
At 6/2/2012 4:47:47 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

As long as you are not turning 'God is love' into 'Love is god' ~a subtle and therefore easy deception to fall into..

If I love then I share the Gospel..

if I love then I give them the dignity of expecting them to obey DDO rules and regs..

if I love then I am salt (character, myself which brings out the true flavour of DDO) and light. (I show others how to respond, NOT to be intimidated etc)

No, I'm saying to those Christians who ridicule atheists, etc. That god literally COMMANDED you ot love them regardless. You can share the gospel without ridicule.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:02:43 AM
"I always wondered if those WWJD bracelets worked, so I bought one the other day. Does everybody have their WWJD bracelets on? 'Cause I was wearing my bracelet recently, and I was in the movie theater, and this guys cell phone went off -- don't you just hate that? Then he picked it up, "Hey, how's it going? I'm in a movie." And so I say....and I'm not going to censor myself here "Hey buddy, Get off the phone please!" And he's like, "Mind your own business azzhole." Oh, now there is trouble in River City. I'm a man, not much of one, but a man, and I will choke you if you are smaller, younger, and preferably white. So I reach over the seat, and at that moment I see my bracelet: What Would Jesus Do? So I lit him on fire and sent him to Hell." - Danielle Tosh
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:03:45 AM
At 6/2/2012 6:02:43 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
"I always wondered if those WWJD bracelets worked, so I bought one the other day. Does everybody have their WWJD bracelets on? 'Cause I was wearing my bracelet recently, and I was in the movie theater, and this guys cell phone went off -- don't you just hate that? Then he picked it up, "Hey, how's it going? I'm in a movie." And so I say....and I'm not going to censor myself here "Hey buddy, Get off the phone please!" And he's like, "Mind your own business azzhole." Oh, now there is trouble in River City. I'm a man, not much of one, but a man, and I will choke you if you are smaller, younger, and preferably white. So I reach over the seat, and at that moment I see my bracelet: What Would Jesus Do? So I lit him on fire and sent him to Hell." - Danielle Tosh

Really....was this needed? I mean that's exactly what I'm talking about.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:05:59 AM

Yeah, well this shows how the message of "love" can easily be misenterpreted, right? Is it not relevant?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 9:37:50 PM
At 6/1/2012 11:19:46 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/1/2012 11:12:40 PM, Ren wrote:

Romans, Chapter 2:

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying haha

It is literally a restatement of the quote you posted as it's written in the Bible.

Those who claim God and behave unwholesomely spur criticism among nonbelievers.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 9:55:56 PM
At 6/1/2012 11:47:00 PM, tyler90az wrote:
God is love! - Rev Run

"God is love, but get it in writing." -Gypsy Rose Lee
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Tnkissfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 2:54:24 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:03:45 AM, THEBOMB wrote:

It's really difficult sometimes to love those that attack the Christian faith,especially when a good bit of them don't know what they are even attacking or why--just that they saw someone else do it!
Yes,we are supposed to LOVE them but we can defend our faith if confronted. Just attacking someone,I agree,is wrong. We're all human,though and it's hard to remember what's right when you're emotionally charged.
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:04:57 PM

That's true. Unfortunately atheists don't have a similar standard that they hold themselves to. Unfortunately when someone gets snarky, I have a tendency to respond in kind. It's something I definitely need to work on.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:06:45 PM
At 6/4/2012 3:04:57 PM, KeytarHero wrote:

That's true. Unfortunately atheists don't have a similar standard that they hold themselves to. Unfortunately when someone gets snarky, I have a tendency to respond in kind. It's something I definitely need to work on.

Me too. Keytar, we are only human.
Tsar of DDO
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:20:02 PM

LMFAO.. I watched that last night!

But, on a serious note, those WWJD bracelets are soooo dumb..

It should be WDJD - What DID Jesus DO.

Answer: Died for the remission of sins.

Message to other Christians:

Stop putting yourself in the picture. If you believe it, Christ died for you. Be good for goodness sake. Stop trying to earn your way to heaven, and stop trying to make Christs work seem like a joint effort (Christ + a little bit of you = Salvation)
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:22:08 PM
At 6/4/2012 2:54:24 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:

It's really difficult sometimes to love those that attack the Christian faith,especially when a good bit of them don't know what they are even attacking or why--just that they saw someone else do it!
Yes,we are supposed to LOVE them but we can defend our faith if confronted. Just attacking someone,I agree,is wrong. We're all human,though and it's hard to remember what's right when you're emotionally charged.

I can understand this more in person, but, when you are sending messages through a computer it's much easier to sit back and ask yourself, "is what I'm saying right?"
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:25:28 PM
At 6/1/2012 10:46:17 PM, stubs wrote:
Lol! I don't believe because SOMEONE ELSE is "bad." ROFL!

Right.

When exactly did you talk about "this"? You seem to be against Christians ridiculing atheists but the Tosh.0 quote was an atheist ridicule of Christianity!

Can you blame them though? Christianity is constantly under attack by atheists!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:40:21 PM

He never said it'd be easy... but I invite you to try both commands with us.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:46:13 PM
At 6/4/2012 3:40:21 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

He never said it'd be easy... but I invite you to try both commands with us.

I think we can agree, someone who complies with these commands, whole heartedly, is "righteous".

But we are not righteous...

And God never said "try".. he said do it, perfectly.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:39:29 PM

If these were the only two sentences in the Bible, it would be a good book.

It is important to distinguish between an attacking and questioning. Attack is a harsh word. Questioning/critisizing is a more gentle appropriate word. "Christians are retarded" is an attack. However, "No intelligent person would believe the earth is 6000 years old, because science shows otherwise" is a just claim. Criticisms and of beliefs should be welcomed and appreciated, not condemned as an attack.

That's true. Unfortunately atheists don't have a similar standard that they hold

Though, a neat benefit of atheism is that atheists do not believe that "non-believers" deserve eternal brutal torture. Loving people is easier when you do not believe they deserve torture. It seems that loving someone and believing they deserve torture are irreconcilable beliefs. This must cause confusion/cognitive dissonance.

the Tosh.0 quote was an atheist ridicule of Christianity!

Tosh was funny and pointed out just critisisim of Christianity. Ridicule is a negative word. One should be able to laugh at their own beliefs without feeling "ridiculed". People should be grateful their beliefs are questioned (espeacially their deepest ones), to make sure they believe the right thing.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:47:34 PM
At 6/4/2012 4:39:29 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

If these were the only two sentences in the Bible, it would be a good book.
If these were the only 2 things people did, then people would be good.

Though, a neat benefit of atheism is that atheists do not believe that "non-believers" deserve eternal brutal torture. Loving people is easier when you do not believe they deserve torture. It seems that loving someone and believing they deserve torture are irreconcilable beliefs. This must cause confusion/cognitive dissonance.
You do realize that not all people are the same: some are deserving of love and others torture. I think most people can tell who deserves what...but it isn't always the case.

the Tosh.0 quote was an atheist ridicule of Christianity!
Tosh was funny and pointed out just critisisim of Christianity.
How do you spell semantics?

Ridicule is a negative word. One should be able to laugh at their own beliefs without feeling "ridiculed".
But isn't one man's criticism another man's ridicule?

People should be grateful their beliefs are questioned (espeacially their deepest ones), to make sure they believe the right thing.
To prefer to label Tosh's "joke" as "criticism" instead of "ridicule" is itself a joke! The humor in the joke is its ridiculousness!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 5:27:22 PM
Its actually meant to only be referring to Jews.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL