Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I went to church today...

UsafRevenged
Posts: 144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?
IM A 7!!!! HA! Take that society!

Unlike ccstateisback who happens to be a 1.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 8:47:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Well first you need to actually bring yourself to believe that there is a magic sky daddy that impregnated a beautiful young thing with a metaphysical penis and she gave birth to the one and only human to ever die and come back to life, only to get lost in the clouds.

Then you have to begin eating nasty crackers and wine while professing that doing so is somehow relevant to magic sky daddy and that he really cares what you put in your mouth.

If you don't do this, you won't become a benevolent zombie like Jesus, and you will burn in a lake of fire while a seven-headed dragon rampages NYC.... someday, but we don't know the day or hour.

Oh - and if called upon by magic sky daddy, you need to be ready to invade your neighbor's house, kill all the men, rape the women, and proclaim to the neighborhood that they need to convert or suffer like these god-hating fools.

Get back to me once you get that done.

kthxbai.
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2009 8:49:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Have fun dealing with all of the varying posts you'll receive with this one.

As for advice, your faith is no one else's business. If you love God and you do your best to show Him, and prove to yourself that its genuine, then you should feel fulfilled.

I won't speak for God, but I'd think He'd like that.

Before this thread gets too wacky, I wish you good luck.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2009 6:02:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
You don't need church to take god back into your life. Anyway, if you want to keep going to church, then just do it. What else would you have to do besides that and pray, etc? It's a personal choice. If you wanted to make it more "official," I suppose all you would have to do is contact someone from your diocese (dunno if that's the right word... I'm a former Catholic) and let them know. Maybe you should start with your parents and let them handle it. You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.
President of DDO
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 9:14:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
USA-
Asking people what to do about your personal religion is sort of ridiculous; everyone's personal religion is different. You're going to get a whole spectrum of different answers from people who are fundamentalists all the way over to people who just believe God exists but don't believe too much in the Bible. Of course, they all think they are right...
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2009 10:16:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 8:47:11 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Well first you need to actually bring yourself to believe that there is a magic sky daddy that impregnated a beautiful young thing with a metaphysical penis and she gave birth to the one and only human to ever die and come back to life, only to get lost in the clouds.

Then you have to begin eating nasty crackers and wine while professing that doing so is somehow relevant to magic sky daddy and that he really cares what you put in your mouth.

If you don't do this, you won't become a benevolent zombie like Jesus, and you will burn in a lake of fire while a seven-headed dragon rampages NYC.... someday, but we don't know the day or hour.

Oh - and if called upon by magic sky daddy, you need to be ready to invade your neighbor's house, kill all the men, rape the women, and proclaim to the neighborhood that they need to convert or suffer like these god-hating fools.

Get back to me once you get that done.

Does have problems. This reminds me of a CS Lewis quote, along the lines of: "In my twenties, I didn't believe God existed, but I was paradoxically angry at him for such."
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
KeithKroeger91
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2009 9:25:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM, UsafRevenged wrote:
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?

Are you a convert to christianity? If so all you need to do is pray to God and let him know that Jesus is your savior. It is that simple.
I win ;D
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 6:45:14 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM, UsafRevenged wrote:
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?

Yeah. Read some books:

http://www.amazon.com...
http://www.amazon.com...
So prove me wrong, then.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 7:23:55 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM, UsafRevenged wrote:
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?

Give Him EVERYTHING.. because anything you hold back for yourself will be comsumed.. anything that is not in Christ goes on the fire.

Practically: Stop TV, magazines, newspapers etc etc.. Start Bible, prayer, Christian fellowship etc.
The Cross.. the Cross.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 7:38:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 7:23:55 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM, UsafRevenged wrote:
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?

Give Him EVERYTHING.. because anything you hold back for yourself will be comsumed.. anything that is not in Christ goes on the fire.

Practically: Stop TV, magazines, newspapers etc etc.. Start Bible, prayer, Christian fellowship etc.

Ah, so your recommendation is to completely close your mind to anything that contradicts what you want to believe.

No wonder you are always incorrect.
So prove me wrong, then.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 7:45:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 7:38:25 AM, regebro wrote:
At 8/21/2009 7:23:55 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM, UsafRevenged wrote:
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?

Give Him EVERYTHING.. because anything you hold back for yourself will be comsumed.. anything that is not in Christ goes on the fire.

Practically: Stop TV, magazines, newspapers etc etc.. Start Bible, prayer, Christian fellowship etc.

Ah, so your recommendation is to completely close your mind to anything that contradicts what you want to believe.

No wonder you are always incorrect.

Anything that contradicts the Bible, the Word of God.
The Cross.. the Cross.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 8:24:45 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 7:45:57 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 8/21/2009 7:38:25 AM, regebro wrote:
At 8/21/2009 7:23:55 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM, UsafRevenged wrote:
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?

Give Him EVERYTHING.. because anything you hold back for yourself will be comsumed.. anything that is not in Christ goes on the fire.

Practically: Stop TV, magazines, newspapers etc etc.. Start Bible, prayer, Christian fellowship etc.

Ah, so your recommendation is to completely close your mind to anything that contradicts what you want to believe.

No wonder you are always incorrect.

Anything that contradicts the Bible, the Word of God.

QED.
So prove me wrong, then.
Lifeisgood
Posts: 295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 7:09:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 8:42:21 PM, UsafRevenged wrote:
There is a church here in my hometown that has services on fridays and i decided to go today. I felt enlightened afterwards and want to make the switch. are there anythings i need to do in order to take god back in my life?

I have a bit of experience in Christianity. Let's see if I can help...

First of all, you need to confess Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Ask forgiveness of your sins. You can get baptised if you'd like, but I believe that is little more than a symbolic practice. After that, you just live life as best you can, using Jesus as an example. If you screw up, pray and ask forgiveness.

Tips:
1) Read the Bible frequently.
2) Be careful about fellowship with other Christians. If your like me, you will be driven away by people who talk 'Christiany' but don't act like Christians.
3) Form a 'relationship' with God. I hear this a lot, so it's probably pretty important.

If you really want to be a Christian, then don't let the atheists in this site discourage you. Christianity is a perfectly fine religion, with lots of good values.

Just trying to be of assistance.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 7:49:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
JCMT- Just because you are misconstrued so badly does not mean you need to share the same practice with others.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 7:51:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/14/2009 8:45:23 PM, giantrobot11 wrote:
What in particular made you feel so "enlightened"?

And for you, i really hope your asking that for the purpose of the possibility that you may be enlightened as well, and not hoping the challenge whatever he says. If its the latter, i really suggest you leave the page.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
giantrobot11
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 8:07:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 7:51:16 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:45:23 PM, giantrobot11 wrote:
What in particular made you feel so "enlightened"?

And for you, i really hope your asking that for the purpose of the possibility that you may be enlightened as well, and not hoping the challenge whatever he says. If its the latter, i really suggest you leave the page.

Obviously the latter, and why should I leave?
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 8:25:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 7:49:32 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
JCMT- Just because you are misconstrued so badly does not mean you need to share the same practice with others.

Apparently you've never read this : http://clipmarks.com...

I was parroting.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 10:12:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 7:51:16 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:45:23 PM, giantrobot11 wrote:
What in particular made you feel so "enlightened"?

And for you, i really hope your asking that for the purpose of the possibility that you may be enlightened as well, and not hoping the challenge whatever he says. If its the latter, i really suggest you leave the page.

Why are you so adamant that people who have different opinions and experiences to you leave? Are you afraid of learning? Does it scare you that you might be wrong?
So prove me wrong, then.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 11:28:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 10:12:31 PM, regebro wrote:
At 8/21/2009 7:51:16 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:45:23 PM, giantrobot11 wrote:
What in particular made you feel so "enlightened"?

And for you, i really hope your asking that for the purpose of the possibility that you may be enlightened as well, and not hoping the challenge whatever he says. If its the latter, i really suggest you leave the page.

Why are you so adamant that people who have different opinions and experiences to you leave? Are you afraid of learning? Does it scare you that you might be wrong?

This thread is not here to be challenged it's here to ask christian advice.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Osiris
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2009 11:52:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If you're beliefs can be swayed soo easily by one church sermon, then I don't see how you make any rational,realistic, and important decisions in your life.

Open your eyes sheeple.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 12:19:42 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 11:52:33 PM, Osiris wrote:
If you're beliefs can be swayed soo easily by one church sermon, then I don't see how you make any rational,realistic, and important decisions in your life.


Open your eyes sheeple.

Really now, really. Wow.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 1:17:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 11:28:53 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/21/2009 10:12:31 PM, regebro wrote:
At 8/21/2009 7:51:16 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:45:23 PM, giantrobot11 wrote:
What in particular made you feel so "enlightened"?

And for you, i really hope your asking that for the purpose of the possibility that you may be enlightened as well, and not hoping the challenge whatever he says. If its the latter, i really suggest you leave the page.

Why are you so adamant that people who have different opinions and experiences to you leave? Are you afraid of learning? Does it scare you that you might be wrong?

This thread is not here to be challenged it's here to ask christian advice.

Yes. And you ask everybody who gives advice you do not agree with, to leave. Again I ask: Why are you so adamant that people who have different opinions and experiences to you leave? Are you afraid of learning? Does it scare you that you might be wrong?

I know that you don't know the answers to my questions. Neither do I, I'm only guessing. But think about them. And if you *do* figure out why, then tell us.
So prove me wrong, then.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 1:19:17 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 11:52:33 PM, Osiris wrote:
If you're beliefs can be swayed soo easily by one church sermon, then I don't see how you make any rational,realistic, and important decisions in your life.


Open your eyes sheeple.

Maybe it was a rational, realistic sermon? We don't know what his opinions was before nor after. My beliefs can be easily swayed. It doesn't take a sermon, it only takes a bit of logic to show me where I was wrong. That can easily be done many times in a sermon.
So prove me wrong, then.
Osiris
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 1:35:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/22/2009 1:19:17 AM, regebro wrote:
At 8/21/2009 11:52:33 PM, Osiris wrote:
If you're beliefs can be swayed soo easily by one church sermon, then I don't see how you make any rational,realistic, and important decisions in your life.


Open your eyes sheeple.

Maybe it was a rational, realistic sermon? We don't know what his opinions was before nor after. My beliefs can be easily swayed. It doesn't take a sermon, it only takes a bit of logic to show me where I was wrong. That can easily be done many times in a sermon.

They use logic in churches?! :O
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 5:37:00 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/22/2009 1:35:04 AM, Osiris wrote:
At 8/22/2009 1:19:17 AM, regebro wrote:
At 8/21/2009 11:52:33 PM, Osiris wrote:
If you're beliefs can be swayed soo easily by one church sermon, then I don't see how you make any rational,realistic, and important decisions in your life.


Open your eyes sheeple.

Maybe it was a rational, realistic sermon? We don't know what his opinions was before nor after. My beliefs can be easily swayed. It doesn't take a sermon, it only takes a bit of logic to show me where I was wrong. That can easily be done many times in a sermon.

They use logic in churches?! :O

They could! In theory! Some christian versions have definitely been more logical than others. Take for example Marcion of Sinope, who during the 2nd century noticed that the morality of the old testament is completely different from that in the new testament. And that although Jesus preaches love and understanding, Yahweh is an vengeful, petty, jealous God who has no love nor understanding of humanity. Marcions very logical conclusion of this was that it was in fact two different gods. The Old Testament was about a creator God, a demiurge (he himself created by God, in fact) and the new testament is created by the loving god that created Yahweh.

Logic.

Obviously, Marcion was condemned as a heretic, denounced as the first son of Satan and the anti-christ himself. Had he lived some hundreds year later he would probably have been tortured to death, but the church at this time thankfully was not very powerful, so the church had to be happy with just excommunicating him and then torturing his followers to death some hundreds of years later when they *had* the power to do that.
So prove me wrong, then.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 7:22:41 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Caution for when confessing:

There shouldn't be a hole in the confession box at waist height. If there is, nothing should come out of it .
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
giantrobot11
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2009 8:02:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/21/2009 11:28:53 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/21/2009 10:12:31 PM, regebro wrote:
At 8/21/2009 7:51:16 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/14/2009 8:45:23 PM, giantrobot11 wrote:
What in particular made you feel so "enlightened"?

And for you, i really hope your asking that for the purpose of the possibility that you may be enlightened as well, and not hoping the challenge whatever he says. If its the latter, i really suggest you leave the page.

Why are you so adamant that people who have different opinions and experiences to you leave? Are you afraid of learning? Does it scare you that you might be wrong?

This thread is not here to be challenged it's here to ask christian advice.

Have you noticed what website you are on?