Rev. Wright Pinhead or Patriot?

Freeland
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2009 9:33:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Comments welcome...

"GOD DAMN AMERICA!" Is Wright's comment REALLY un-American? Read on...

Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. [Genesis 18:20]

Son of man, set your face against Jerusalem and preach against the sanctuary. Prophesy against the land of Israel" [Ezekiel 21:2]

This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Cut down the trees and build siege ramps against Jerusalem. This city must be punished;it is filled with oppression. [Jeremiah 6:6]

Sound Familiar?

Here's a similar quote from Rev. Jeremiah Wright (yes, I bolded his first name on purpose to make a point):

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing ‘God Bless America.' No, no,no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

I've been hearing so much back and forth about this, I wanted to bring in a fresh perspective...

Let's take a quick look at the above statement... Isn't it fair, for a Christian pastor, to ask God to avenge the blood of an oppressed people? Isn't it fair for someone who prays, to ask God to repay those who have put themselves in the place of God? Yep.... it's totally fair... AND Biblical... (the Bible verses above are just a tiny sampling of how the Bible addresses these issues).

Wright is a pastor, and he thinks in terms of Biblical Law... in fact, he would be sold on the idea that the United States is a "christian" nation, and as such, is "supposed" to be "godly."

If the United States, claiming to be a "christian" nation, instead becomes an "ungodly" nation, it is totally normal for a Christian leader to ask God to repay their infidelity to God... (it's everywhere they look in the Bible).

Wright isn't saying: "go out and take over the country," which is what the Declaration of Independence says is the prescription when "any government becomes destructive of these ends," (speaking of the right to life, liberty and the persuit of happiness), Wright is saying "God damn America." Wright is calling on God to NOT bless the country "as long as" she is guilty of the things outlined in red above... he's not declaring a holy war, nor advocating one... he's not saying he "hates America." He, like his namesake, Jeremiah of the Bible, is asking God to judge and chastise America for her wanderings from the Godly ways... Like his namesake Jeremiah, he's asking God to remember the sins of a so-called "christian" nation and hold her accountable for her hypocrasy... He's a man of God, calling on God to repay America for the three things mentioned above (highlighted in red). Jeremiah was an Israelite... he was a prophet of Israel... he LOVED Israel SO MUCH, that he prayed for God to chastise her... and so did Isaiah, and so did Ezekiel... and MANY of the Israelite prophets... in times of hypocrasy and backsliding, the men of God of the Bible, called on God to chastise... to "repay." This would be something TOTALLY natural for Wright to say, as a christian pastor... especially one who tells the truth from the Bible... here's the list again:

1. Killing innocent people (which the US government has done. It's called "collateral damage.")
2. For treating our citizens as less than human (which still occurs in many forms)
3. As long as she (America) acts like she is God and she is supreme.
What we have to ask is: "What does 'God damn America' mean?"

What is Wright asking God for here? The evidence is in the term "as long as." Wright is saying, "as long as" America continues to act in the listed ways, I'm asking God to "not bless America." Why? Because America doesn't deserve a blessing from God "as long as" she continues to behave in the manner listed above... not under those circumstances... and the opposite of "God bless America" is, "God damn America." Of course, Wright COULD have said: "God don't bless America as long as she behaves this way," but he chose the more dramatic form of the statement.

Wright is basically saying: "God, teach America a lesson... teach her NOT to do the things she's doing... He's not saying: "I HATE America".. "He's saying: "I LOVE America so much... and what America is supposed to be, that I am asking God to NOT bless her... to force her to wake up from her hypocracy and repent... this is the job of the Pastor... to call his people to REPENT... and to ask God to bring that repentence about, for the good of America... this is a pastor's love for a country, enough that he would call upon God to "damn" her "as long as" her behavior deviates from her "godly" calling...

Now ask yourself: "Should I ask God to bless a country that does the three things listed above?" Should I ask God to bless the leaders of Darfur, or Damn them?" "Should I ask God to bless those who engage in ethnic cleansing, or should I ask God to Damn them?" As a man of God, who follows the Bible, and the laws of God...

When I read Wright's words, with the understanding of the Israelite prophets that I have, I don't see a man who "hates" America... I see a man who loves "the idea" of "the true" America so much, that he would ask God to punish her "as long as" she commits her backsliding atrocities against his creatures...

Finally, the converse of what Wright is saying is: "When America DOES finally awaken, and live our her creed, then and ONLY then, will 'God bless America.'"

Remember if he hated America so much why did he serve 7 years in the armed services. If he hated white people so much why did he serve 10 years in a white church. He spoke of rich white people, not poor or middle class white people. Also note that his church "Trinity" was created by UCC a white majority church. UCC created churches for Germans, Irish, African Americans, Native Americans and Hispanics/Latinos.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2009 9:56:50 PM
"Rev. Wright Pinhead or Patriot?"

Patriots are pinheads.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeland
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2009 10:02:02 PM
At 8/16/2009 9:56:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Patriots are pinheads.

I borrowed the saying from those who hated him and called him a pinhead, rather then say he was a patriot, me myself i say he spoke a lot truth in his sermons.
Freeland
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2009 4:21:43 PM
At 8/16/2009 10:02:02 PM, Freeland wrote:
At 8/16/2009 9:56:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Patriots are pinheads.

I borrowed the saying from those who hated him and called him a pinhead, rather then say he was a patriot, me myself i say he spoke a lot truth in his sermons.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2009 1:44:13 AM
At 8/16/2009 9:33:12 PM, Freeland wrote:
Pinhead or Patriot?

And the difference is? Oh, I guess you can be a pinhead without being a patriot...

Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. [Genesis 18:20]

No need to read longer than that. He is clearly a pinhead, and so is anybody who listens to him.
So prove me wrong, then.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2009 9:53:46 PM
Wright is a pinhead. He is a racist. He says ridiculous things like "the government gives them drugs." He implicitly allies himself with terrorists on the grounds that they are punishing America. He could universally condemn violence and be credible, but he doesn't do that. He favors anti-US violence.
drewMurrdotCom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 8:10:49 AM
Definitely Pinhead, no question. Yes the United States, as well as every other country on the planet, has a terrible history of oppression. But we have put most of that behind us and are now leading the way in human rights. And do we really have to blame the forbes top 10 for getting rich? It is a free society people. The only reason why whites are currently ahead is because blacks haven't had as much time (generationally) to acclimate to freedom and capitalism. There are more and more black entrepreneurs who get richer and richer every year and will soon be in the top 10.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2009 2:10:08 PM
At 10/13/2009 8:10:49 AM, drewMurrdotCom wrote:
Definitely Pinhead, no question. Yes the United States, as well as every other country on the planet, has a terrible history of oppression. But we have put most of that behind us and are now leading the way in human rights.

Which is why you kick out homosexuals if they're in your military.

Want to try that again?