Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Was God Made In Man's Image?

jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 2:10:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
When asked "Are you never afraid of God's judgment in denying him?", Bertrand Russell responded:

"Most certainly not. I also deny Zeus and Jupiter and Odin and Brahma, but this causes me no qualms. I observe that a very large portion of the human race does not believe in God and suffers no visible punishment in consequence. And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence."

I saw this quote posted on facebook and someone commented "divinity looks a lot like human ego.. lol, what a mysterious coincidence!"

This got me thinking about certain traditional attributes of God that seem to me a bit too coincidentally similar to a human ego to be attributed to a perfect being. God states in the Bible that "the Lord thy God is a jealous God." But if you are omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, eternal, and the creator of all that exists, of whom or what could you possibly be jealous? Would a God who has all those attributes really be jealous of anything in any way at all?

God also makes it quite clear that he is emotionally dependent on his chosen people. His "nostrils flare" when they sin, which usually results in some kind of mass plague through which God vents his anger -as in Numbers 11:1, where God consumes a bunch of Israelites with fire for complaining too much. Surely this sort of "emotional dependence" upon the Israelities keeping God's word as law – and the creation of those Israelites in the first place to satisfy God's apparent need for a chosen people - shows that God has needs and wants for certain things, which would seem to contradict his omnipotence and total perfection.

Would a totally perfect being really be so petty as to be interested at all in the lives of specific human beings, so much that he (why is God always described as a human male "he", when God should truly be an "it"? ) cares about what we think, eat, who we sleep with, etc? It seems a little odd to me that the totally perfect creator of all that exists in the universe would take such a strong interest in the lives of certain members of a specific species inhabiting what Carl Sagan described as "a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

I'll take my "argument from perfection" - the argument that perfection means by definition a lack of need or wants, but God clearly has needs and wants - a step further. If this deity is as wholly perfect as theists claim, and containing of the aforementioned "omnis", it is ridiculous and contradictory to suggest that such a deity also created the world. A perfect being by definition must have no need or wants for anything, or else such a being is lacking in something and thus imperfect. Creation of the universe and mankind – and certainly having a "chosen people" and commanding them to obey your every word and bring you presents in the form of animal sacrifices – entails an effort to fulfill a need or want. Thus the theistic God by definition cannot be a perfect being; he must be somehow flawed.

My underlying point in all of this is that the way religion describes God is simply too human for a being described as omnipotent, omniscient, the creator of all that exists, etc. And if such a being did exist, it would certainly not be the obviously man-made character of God as depicted in any holy book, who is jealous, emotionally dependent, and cares enough about humans who reject his existence to send them all to burn in hell for eternity. These things are all incompatible with a totally perfect being.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2012 8:14:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can Jealousy be good? Can you not be jealous over a child and woman? Is it wrong?

The problems with your entire logic is that you do not use it.

If God created man, wouldn't He love them? Be concerned about them? Have a purpose for them? And be jealous when they are tempted the opposite way?

Would God inspire a Bible only to let it be defiled by men?
If God inspired the Bible would he allow men to not properly translate it?
I think we are putting man above God.

We are the attributes you claim that are man's that have been given to God?

Why does man strive to be better than he naturally is if not for a cause that is higher than himself?
TheAsylum
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:15:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/15/2012 8:14:03 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
Can Jealousy be good? Can you not be jealous over a child and woman? Is it wrong?

The problems with your entire logic is that you do not use it.

The Fool: What logic are you referring too. I am completly baffled. Are you just using the 'word' logic. what is your critiera for logic here?


If God created man, wouldn't He love them?

The Fool: They would be perfect if he created them.

Be concerned about them?

The Fool: you mean feel quilty for being the creator...

Have a purpose for them?

And be jealous when they are tempted the opposite way?

The Fool: Why would he create opposite 'ways' to his again?

Would God inspire a Bible only to let it be defiled by men?

The Fool: Circular. no?

If God inspired the Bible would he allow men to not properly translate it?

The Fool: Circus aside. No he would want to get his message across as CLEAR AS POSSIBLE. or maybe make it impossible for them..

I think we are putting man above God.

The Fool: I think we are still in a circle here.. fair?

We are the attributes you claim that are man's that have been given to God?

The Fool: Aint that a coingkidint.!

Why does man strive to be better than he naturally is if not for a cause that is higher than himself?

The Fool: So we should be striving to be Super-natural?? ITs all making sense now....I feel it. . I see him,. I see the light!!!! ahh so bright!!. like a . a lightbright, or a pair of bright green spandex on a male bikers azz. Like my computer moniter when I turn the light of. . like a light light. It is soo bright I am BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 6:07:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/15/2012 8:14:03 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
Can Jealousy be good? Can you not be jealous over a child and woman? Is it wrong?

Seeing as jealousy is synonymous to envious, which is a mortal sin, yes. By Christian morality, it is an absolute moral wrong. And jealous over a child and woman is misusing the term for your own ends and changing the definitions. Would you be protective? Yes. But protective is not synonymous with jealous.

The problems with your entire logic is that you do not use it.

These kind of comments are what I love about fundamentalism: not only is it the minority (and disliked view among philosophers) that claims to have certain, absolute truth, but it is the one that is not satisfied with it, and must go further to claim everyone else is certainly wrong and an idiot for it.

If God created man, wouldn't He love them? Be concerned about them? Have a purpose for them? And be jealous when they are tempted the opposite way?

Again, love =/= jealous.

Would God inspire a Bible only to let it be defiled by men?

Yes, assuming eschatological distance.

If God inspired the Bible would he allow men to not properly translate it?

Yes, assuming eschatological distance.

I think we are putting man above God.

Cool beans. This is devoid of logic, but I am not going to start going on a semi-flaming rant because of it. Apart from just then. And then. And so on.

We are the attributes you claim that are man's that have been given to God?

I believe you have now completely gone on a tangent, and are trying to somehow get it back on topic.

Why does man strive to be better than he naturally is if not for a cause that is higher than himself?

Because he himself wants to be better? That's what basically everyone else does. It's called desire. Try it.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 8:06:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/15/2012 2:10:39 PM, jat93 wrote:
When asked "Are you never afraid of God's judgment in denying him?", Bertrand Russell responded:

"Most certainly not. I also deny Zeus and Jupiter and Odin and Brahma, but this causes me no qualms. I observe that a very large portion of the human race does not believe in God and suffers no visible punishment in consequence. And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence."

I saw this quote posted on facebook and someone commented "divinity looks a lot like human ego.. lol, what a mysterious coincidence!"

This got me thinking about certain traditional attributes of God that seem to me a bit too coincidentally similar to a human ego to be attributed to a perfect being. God states in the Bible that "the Lord thy God is a jealous God." But if you are omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, eternal, and the creator of all that exists, of whom or what could you possibly be jealous? Would a God who has all those attributes really be jealous of anything in any way at all?

This is what reportedly tripped Oprah up, you are confusing Jealousy with Envy; A man is jealous for his wife because she is his.. a Lawyer is jealous for his client for the same reason.. God is jealous for the Jews (you are quoting the O.T) because they are His..

So, we are (rightly) jealous of what we have and (wrongly) envious of that which belongs to another, his wife, his car etc -this is what the Bible referrrs to as 'coveting' and is a sin.

God also makes it quite clear that he is emotionally dependent on his chosen people. His "nostrils flare" when they sin, which usually results in some kind of mass plague through which God vents his anger -as in Numbers 11:1, where God consumes a bunch of Israelites with fire for complaining too much. Surely this sort of "emotional dependence" upon the Israelities keeping God's word as law – and the creation of those Israelites in the first place to satisfy God's apparent need for a chosen people - shows that God has needs and wants for certain things, which would seem to contradict his omnipotence and total perfection.

I think my above answer covers this; The Jews are Gods chosen people, His bride, and He is rightfully jealous and angry when she is adulterous..

Would a totally perfect being really be so petty as to be interested at all in the lives of specific human beings, so much that he (why is God always described as a human male "he", when God should truly be an "it"? ) cares about what we think, eat, who we sleep with, etc? It seems a little odd to me that the totally perfect creator of all that exists in the universe would take such a strong interest in the lives of certain members of a specific species inhabiting what Carl Sagan described as "a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

Is a parent petty to care about their childrens needs and welfare? and God knows infinitely more what His creation needs and what is best for them..

I'll take my "argument from perfection" - the argument that perfection means by definition a lack of need or wants, but God clearly has needs and wants - a step further. If this deity is as wholly perfect as theists claim, and containing of the aforementioned "omnis", it is ridiculous and contradictory to suggest that such a deity also created the world. A perfect being by definition must have no need or wants for anything, or else such a being is lacking in something and thus imperfect. Creation of the universe and mankind – and certainly having a "chosen people" and commanding them to obey your every word and bring you presents in the form of animal sacrifices – entails an effort to fulfill a need or want. Thus the theistic God by definition cannot be a perfect being; he must be somehow flawed.

God has one 'need' (if we must put it that way) that His creation knows Him; Sin is to doubt His goodness (love, mercy, forgiveness etc) we fallen and imperfect creatures may know Him thru His Son, who became like us that He might live in us..

My underlying point in all of this is that the way religion describes God is simply too human for a being described as omnipotent, omniscient, the creator of all that exists, etc. And if such a being did exist, it would certainly not be the obviously man-made character of God as depicted in any holy book, who is jealous, emotionally dependent, and cares enough about humans who reject his existence to send them all to burn in hell for eternity. These things are all incompatible with a totally perfect being.

Please provide a scenario where a perfect God can create a perfect creation that is NOT a puppet show of robots doing His will or a hall of mirrors where every son and daugher is begotten, an exact replication of Himself..

Gods perfect plan is The Redeemed; the buying back, by the blood of His only begotten Son, of those lost to darkness and deception.
The Cross.. the Cross.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 3:08:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: They would be perfect if he created them.

They were.

The Fool: Why would he create opposite 'ways' to his again?

He did not create a opposite way. The crwations went thier way which is opposite to his.

The Fool: Circular. no?

no

The Fool: Circus aside. No he would want to get his message across as CLEAR AS POSSIBLE. or maybe make it impossible for them..

It it clear if you the capacity to understand.


The Fool: I think we are still in a circle here.. fair?

It is fair to say you are running in circles.yes.

The Fool: So we should be striving to be Super-natural?? ITs all making sense now....I feel it. . I see him,. I see the light!!!! ahh so bright!!. like a . a lightbright, or a pair of bright green spandex on a male bikers azz. Like my computer moniter when I turn the light of. . like a light light. It is soo bright I am BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See your quite ignorant to the whole subject.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 3:14:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seeing as jealousy is synonymous to envious, which is a mortal sin, yes. By Christian morality, it is an absolute moral wrong. And jealous over a child and woman is misusing the term for your own ends and changing the definitions. Would you be protective? Yes. But protective is not synonymous with jealous.

Would you not be jeaolus over what is yours?

These kind of comments are what I love about fundamentalism: not only is it the minority (and disliked view among philosophers) that claims to have certain, absolute truth, but it is the one that is not satisfied with it, and must go further to claim everyone else is certainly wrong and an idiot for it.

You could not have said it better.

Again, love =/= jealous.

Again jealousy is a positive and negative. You interpret which ever way you like.

Yes, assuming eschatological distance.

He would not allow it.

Yes, assuming eschatological distance.

Yes! no other info needed.

Cool beans. This is devoid of logic, but I am not going to start going on a semi-flaming rant because of it. Apart from just then. And then. And so on.

Though it seems you are.

I believe you have now completely gone on a tangent, and are trying to somehow get it back on topic.

No you obv. didnt read the topic at hand and it was that men give God attributes from themselves when it is the other way around.

Because he himself wants to be better? That's what basically everyone else does. It's called desire. Try it.

I do. You do not. You use your human logic and it fails.
TheAsylum
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 4:43:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 8:06:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/15/2012 2:10:39 PM, jat93 wrote:
When asked "Are you never afraid of God's judgment in denying him?", Bertrand Russell responded:

"Most certainly not. I also deny Zeus and Jupiter and Odin and Brahma, but this causes me no qualms. I observe that a very large portion of the human race does not believe in God and suffers no visible punishment in consequence. And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence."

I saw this quote posted on facebook and someone commented "divinity looks a lot like human ego.. lol, what a mysterious coincidence!"

This got me thinking about certain traditional attributes of God that seem to me a bit too coincidentally similar to a human ego to be attributed to a perfect being. God states in the Bible that "the Lord thy God is a jealous God." But if you are omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, eternal, and the creator of all that exists, of whom or what could you possibly be jealous? Would a God who has all those attributes really be jealous of anything in any way at all?

This is what reportedly tripped Oprah up, you are confusing Jealousy with Envy; A man is jealous for his wife because she is his.. a Lawyer is jealous for his client for the same reason.. God is jealous for the Jews (you are quoting the O.T) because they are His..

So, we are (rightly) jealous of what we have and (wrongly) envious of that which belongs to another, his wife, his car etc -this is what the Bible referrrs to as 'coveting' and is a sin.

God also makes it quite clear that he is emotionally dependent on his chosen people. His "nostrils flare" when they sin, which usually results in some kind of mass plague through which God vents his anger -as in Numbers 11:1, where God consumes a bunch of Israelites with fire for complaining too much. Surely this sort of "emotional dependence" upon the Israelities keeping God's word as law – and the creation of those Israelites in the first place to satisfy God's apparent need for a chosen people - shows that God has needs and wants for certain things, which would seem to contradict his omnipotence and total perfection.

I think my above answer covers this; The Jews are Gods chosen people, His bride, and He is rightfully jealous and angry when she is adulterous..

Would a totally perfect being really be so petty as to be interested at all in the lives of specific human beings, so much that he (why is God always described as a human male "he", when God should truly be an "it"? ) cares about what we think, eat, who we sleep with, etc? It seems a little odd to me that the totally perfect creator of all that exists in the universe would take such a strong interest in the lives of certain members of a specific species inhabiting what Carl Sagan described as "a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

Is a parent petty to care about their childrens needs and welfare? and God knows infinitely more what His creation needs and what is best for them..

I'll take my "argument from perfection" - the argument that perfection means by definition a lack of need or wants, but God clearly has needs and wants - a step further. If this deity is as wholly perfect as theists claim, and containing of the aforementioned "omnis", it is ridiculous and contradictory to suggest that such a deity also created the world. A perfect being by definition must have no need or wants for anything, or else such a being is lacking in something and thus imperfect. Creation of the universe and mankind – and certainly having a "chosen people" and commanding them to obey your every word and bring you presents in the form of animal sacrifices – entails an effort to fulfill a need or want. Thus the theistic God by definition cannot be a perfect being; he must be somehow flawed.

God has one 'need' (if we must put it that way) that His creation knows Him; Sin is to doubt His goodness (love, mercy, forgiveness etc) we fallen and imperfect creatures may know Him thru His Son, who became like us that He might live in us..

My underlying point in all of this is that the way religion describes God is simply too human for a being described as omnipotent, omniscient, the creator of all that exists, etc. And if such a being did exist, it would certainly not be the obviously man-made character of God as depicted in any holy book, who is jealous, emotionally dependent, and cares enough about humans who reject his existence to send them all to burn in hell for eternity. These things are all incompatible with a totally perfect being.

Please provide a scenario where a perfect God can create a perfect creation that is NOT a puppet show of robots doing His will or a hall of mirrors where every son and daugher is begotten, an exact replication of Himself..

Gods perfect plan is The Redeemed; the buying back, by the blood of His only begotten Son, of those lost to darkness and deception.
The Cross.. the Cross.
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 4:00:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/19/2012 4:43:30 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Please provide a scenario where a perfect God can create a perfect creation that is NOT a puppet show of robots doing His will or a hall of mirrors where every son and daugher is begotten, an exact replication of Himself..


Heaven.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 4:04:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/19/2012 4:00:39 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 6/19/2012 4:43:30 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Please provide a scenario where a perfect God can create a perfect creation that is NOT a puppet show of robots doing His will or a hall of mirrors where every son and daugher is begotten, an exact replication of Himself..


Heaven.

The kind of robust freedom on earth is a requirement for choosing one's own final destiny—by freely responding affirmatively to God's loving influence or by resisting it so that our earthly desire to be with God or away from Him is "sealed." Thus God couldn't have created a heaven-like state on earth in which the redeemed can't sin.
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 4:14:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/19/2012 4:04:05 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/19/2012 4:00:39 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 6/19/2012 4:43:30 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Please provide a scenario where a perfect God can create a perfect creation that is NOT a puppet show of robots doing His will or a hall of mirrors where every son and daugher is begotten, an exact replication of Himself..


Heaven.

The kind of robust freedom on earth is a requirement for choosing one's own final destiny—by freely responding affirmatively to God's loving influence or by resisting it so that our earthly desire to be with God or away from Him is "sealed." Thus God couldn't have created a heaven-like state on earth in which the redeemed can't sin.

I didn't say a heaven-like state on Earth. I said Heaven.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 5:36:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/19/2012 4:14:48 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 6/19/2012 4:04:05 PM, stubs wrote:
At 6/19/2012 4:00:39 PM, WriterDave wrote:
At 6/19/2012 4:43:30 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Please provide a scenario where a perfect God can create a perfect creation that is NOT a puppet show of robots doing His will or a hall of mirrors where every son and daugher is begotten, an exact replication of Himself..


Heaven.

The kind of robust freedom on earth is a requirement for choosing one's own final destiny—by freely responding affirmatively to God's loving influence or by resisting it so that our earthly desire to be with God or away from Him is "sealed." Thus God couldn't have created a heaven-like state on earth in which the redeemed can't sin.

I didn't say a heaven-like state on Earth. I said Heaven.

So you are saying that there is no free will in Heaven?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
palmkrawler
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 3:32:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
First of all, we are having this discussion because God is flawed. And since man is flawed and God is a construct of man, of course he is flawed as well.

There is no love as far as God is concerned. Most definitions of love include placing the others person's needs above your own. God's need to be worshiped trumps all other needs of any person. God loves only himself.

And what is all this talk about asking for forgiveness? God made us (according to the Bible) the way we are which means we are flawed and have sin. Why should anyone ask forgiveness for acting as designed? Talk about playing a sick game.

The Bible shows God has murdered people yet he tells us not to murder. Do as I say and not as I do?

God has flaws just as man does. That is why there are over 35000 different sects of Christianity because of all the flaws we cannot even agree how to worship him.

Why does an omnipotent being need to be worshiped. anyway? That one has always eluded me. Are we his science experiment? If you asked someone why they had a child and their answer was so they could worship them as their creator, you probably would want to get a straight jacket as that person is loony.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 4:12:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/15/2012 2:10:39 PM, jat93 wrote:

It's interesting that the Bible makes the claim that man is made in God's image. Since God isn't physical, and actual image seems doubtful. So theists often suggest it's an expression of the general character and properties of God. But if we have a look...

God is perfect <<>> Man is imperfect
God is without sin <<>> Man cannot avoid sin
God is omnipotent <<>> Man is of decidedly limited power
God is omnipresent <<>> Man is localized
God is omniscient <<>> Man has very limited knowledge
God is metaphysical <<>> Man is physical
God is just <<>> Man is unjust
God is loving, caring and compassionate (even when killing babies) <<>> Man is sinful, evil and wicked

And yet, God so loved what is "sinful evil and wicked", that he gave his only son in sacrifice to mankind. How can it be said that man is "sinful, evil and wicked", and that God so loves mankind, and yet not result in the conclusion that God loves what is "sinful, evil and wicked"?

No matter what you do, after reading that man is created in the image of God, the rest of the Bible seems to be devoted to showing how man and God have almost nothing in common.

And when pressed, it seems Christians are without any credible response for this obvious contradiction.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 4:21:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/18/2014 4:12:24 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 6/15/2012 2:10:39 PM, jat93 wrote:

It's interesting that the Bible makes the claim that man is made in God's image. Since God isn't physical, and actual image seems doubtful. So theists often suggest it's an expression of the general character and properties of God. But if we have a look...

"In God's image" simply refers to the existence in man of an eternal spirit, i. e. that there is a part of man beyond the mere physical, a part that survives physical death. This is THE major and constant difference between humans and beasts. It serves no purpose to point out all the differences between humans and God.

No matter what you do, after reading that man is created in the image of God, the rest of the Bible seems to be devoted to showing how man and God have almost nothing in common.

I have not found that to be true, for the statement "in our image" has but a very limited application. The differences, with or without the Bible, run into the thousands.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 4:47:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/18/2014 4:21:09 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/18/2014 4:12:24 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 6/15/2012 2:10:39 PM, jat93 wrote:

It's interesting that the Bible makes the claim that man is made in God's image. Since God isn't physical, and actual image seems doubtful. So theists often suggest it's an expression of the general character and properties of God. But if we have a look...

"In God's image" simply refers to the existence in man of an eternal spirit, i. e. that there is a part of man beyond the mere physical, a part that survives physical death. This is THE major and constant difference between humans and beasts. It serves no purpose to point out all the differences between humans and God.

No matter what you do, after reading that man is created in the image of God, the rest of the Bible seems to be devoted to showing how man and God have almost nothing in common.

I have not found that to be true, for the statement "in our image" has but a very limited application. The differences, with or without the Bible, run into the thousands.

Yes, Anna in your tiny little elitist mind, there is no point in reading any book unless you can rewrite every other phrase as you go. In no form, dialect or credible English usage does the phrase "in God's image" mean "the indwelling of an eternal spirit". I've listened to spring-fed Brooks which babbled less and said more.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 4:54:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/18/2014 4:47:47 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 7/18/2014 4:21:09 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/18/2014 4:12:24 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 6/15/2012 2:10:39 PM, jat93 wrote:

It's interesting that the Bible makes the claim that man is made in God's image. Since God isn't physical, and actual image seems doubtful. So theists often suggest it's an expression of the general character and properties of God. But if we have a look...

"In God's image" simply refers to the existence in man of an eternal spirit, i. e. that there is a part of man beyond the mere physical, a part that survives physical death. This is THE major and constant difference between humans and beasts. It serves no purpose to point out all the differences between humans and God.

No matter what you do, after reading that man is created in the image of God, the rest of the Bible seems to be devoted to showing how man and God have almost nothing in common.

I have not found that to be true, for the statement "in our image" has but a very limited application. The differences, with or without the Bible, run into the thousands.

Yes, Anna in your tiny little elitist mind, there is no point in reading any book unless you can rewrite every other phrase as you go. In no form, dialect or credible English usage does the phrase "in God's image" mean "the indwelling of an eternal spirit". I've listened to spring-fed Brooks which babbled less and said more.

"Know for certain, I've listened to spring-fed brooks which babbled less and said more." Therefore, I won't know it until I actually see you listening to a brook, will I?

Alright, I'll bite. Name for us ONE generally recognized Bible scholar who does not state that "in our image" refers to the uniting of the body with an eternal spirit. Well, forget that. You aren't gonna do that.

Anyway, "in God's image" refers to any and all attributes that man and God possess in common. The passage does not say which attributes are referenced.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
skinker
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 5:13:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
"Alright, I'll bite. Name for us ONE generally recognized Bible scholar who does not state that "in our image" refers to the uniting of the body with an eternal spirit. Well, forget that. You aren't gonna do that.:

Using "Bible scholars" for authorative references is bullshite as the Bible has been debunked by professional archeologists and historians as fabricated stories Bible "scholars" are still deceived into believing have historical foundation. Only historians going outside of Bible ideology can be trusted to tell us the truth about how, where, why, when bible verses were conceived and for what purposes and even then they can only use data in ground as positive proof of meaning of ancient religious texts. Words of ancients are no more reliable than today's pundits. Like ones pretending to Bible knowledge here in order to look authorative when the Bible itself is not authorative as is.
skinker
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 5:22:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Being guided spiritually God leads me to true spiritual meanings behind Biblical verses, meanings that even the writers themselves were unaware of because of not knowing God uses us religious visionaries and priesthoods as pack horses carrying the spiritual goods through the generations to reach the people who can use them.

There is now a gospel that explains how and why God put those words into Genesis I in order to teach humankind that it is directly of God, the connection is one to One. We were not told the identity of God in the Abrahamic religions until Jesus came along and showed us the Messianic Son of God Face of God the Father and what Father wants which is to reestablish the direct God to humanity connection in the minds of all human beings so they know who and what they are and where they came from and where they are going. It is all explained in religious terms in the Gospel of Humanity at: http://biomystic.org...