Jump to topic:

The bible is nonsense

Invalid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 2:54:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is beyond me why people would want to believe that life lessons come from a book full of contradictions, incest, rape, killing and other immoral or just flat out ridiculous claims.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 2:57:00 PM
At 6/17/2012 2:54:43 PM, Invalid wrote:
It is beyond me why people would want to believe that life lessons come from a book full of contradictions, incest, rape, killing and other immoral or just flat out ridiculous claims.

Well, if you understand that many parts of this book were controlled by, essentially, military leaders for hundreds and hundreds of years, then there is some expectation of there having been changes.

Besides, if there are good lessons to be found in it, what's wrong with learning from them?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 3:01:41 PM

Try focusing less on the old testament.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Invalid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 3:03:01 PM
At 6/17/2012 2:57:00 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Well, if you understand that many parts of this book were controlled by, essentially, military leaders for hundreds and hundreds of years, then there is some expectation of there having been changes.

Besides, if there are good lessons to be found in it, what's wrong with learning from them?

Good lessons? The same book that gives the ten commandments which many claim are the essence of our morality, tells you to kill homosexuals and disobedient children, that it's ok to sell your daughter, or that slavery is acceptable. My favourite is that it is a shame for a man to have long hair, and yet Jesus is depicted with long hair.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 3:16:24 PM
At 6/17/2012 3:03:01 PM, Invalid wrote:

Good lessons? The same book that gives the ten commandments which many claim are the essence of our morality, tells you to kill homosexuals and disobedient children, that it's ok to sell your daughter, or that slavery is acceptable. My favourite is that it is a shame for a man to have long hair, and yet Jesus is depicted with long hair.

No, the Old Testament doesn't teach us to do those things, unless that is what you refer to as The Bible.
Invalid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 3:56:59 PM
At 6/17/2012 3:16:24 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

No, the Old Testament doesn't teach us to do those things, unless that is what you refer to as The Bible.

The entire bible, not just the old testament. It does say those things, look it up.
- Christopher Hitchens
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 4:01:41 PM
I couldn't agree more! What's even more troubling is that the majority of Christians haven't even read enough of the Bible to know what immoral ideas it promotes.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 4:05:59 PM
At 6/17/2012 3:56:59 PM, Invalid wrote:

The entire bible, not just the old testament. It does say those things, look it up.

There are two different types of information in the Bible. Historical-type information on God's dealings with his children, and the actual 'do this don't do this' stuff.

Nothing in the Old Testament, if you are referring to the Christian Bible, really applies as the latter.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 4:14:33 PM

I'm not sure how there being bad stuff in the bible precludes there also being good stuff. In fact, i'm not even sure why one couldn't learn good lessons from critically interacting with the bad stuff.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 5:11:03 PM
At 6/17/2012 3:56:59 PM, Invalid wrote:

Don't have us do the research to prove YOUR point
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 5:31:33 PM

You seem to really know everything there is to know about biblical criticism... What genius displayed!
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 5:49:53 PM
At 6/17/2012 5:31:33 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

You seem to really know everything there is to know about biblical criticism... What genius displayed!

What amuses me is someone with the namesake 'Invalid' would make such obvious invalid statements.

Given that hundreds of millions of Theological scholars do indeed assert life lessons are derived from the book, such an statement of minority/non scholastic opinion is immediately invalid.

It is like me complaining that homework in high school was not efficacious. My opinion, which was clearly selfish and inappropriately distorted/biased view of homework, did not in fact make homework invalid. This is especially made obvious in light of academia holding it homework efficacious.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 5:54:04 PM
At 6/17/2012 5:49:53 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/17/2012 5:31:33 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

What amuses me is someone with the namesake 'Invalid' would make such obvious invalid statements.

Given that hundreds of millions of Theological scholars do indeed assert life lessons are derived from the book, such an statement of minority/non scholastic opinion is immediately invalid.

It is like me complaining that homework in high school was not efficacious. My opinion, which was clearly selfish and inappropriately distorted/biased view of homework, did not in fact make homework invalid. This is especially made obvious in light of academia holding it homework efficacious.

Meh... there's village theism & there's village atheism.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 6:00:32 PM

Ever want a real lesson on the Bible and whats within it. Then talk to someone who actually knows about it.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 6:00:53 PM

Ever want a real lesson on the Bible and whats within it. Then talk to someone who actually knows about it.
TheAsylum
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:15:39 PM
1 Atheist, 5 Christians in this thread. that hardly seems fair
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:24:45 PM

What's immoral about that stuff? Atheists are all too guilty of employing an unjustified ethical scheme in their attempted pointing out of the Bible as immoral. They simply draw on common sense morality which ,while an intuitive appeal that we're usually bound to act on, is far from rationally justified. Focus on the moral aspect of your claim bro. We all know the Bible supports that stuff and it's not news to anyone.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:25:06 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:15:39 PM, 000ike wrote:

If it's "unfair" than pitch in to the conversation.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:26:34 PM

What? This isn't a after-school fist fight. It's reasoning.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:31:38 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:24:45 PM, socialpinko wrote:

What's immoral about that stuff? Atheists are all too guilty of employing an unjustified ethical scheme in their attempted pointing out of the Bible as immoral. They simply draw on common sense morality which ,while an intuitive appeal that we're usually bound to act on, is far from rationally justified. Focus on the moral aspect of your claim bro. We all know the Bible supports that stuff and it's not news to anyone.

This is so elementary, the bible is largely descriptive in those mentioned above, not prescriptive, & when it is prescriptive, like the "driving out of the Canaanittes," the bible uses language that was common in the ANE in that day to illustrate a seizure of military encampments. See Paul Copan, he deals with this stuff better than I can.

But such a simple understanding on a text is too hasty without any real critical engagement.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:33:18 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:26:34 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

Reasoning takes a second seat when majority rule is involved. One can't argue with 5 people affirming each other's correctness, like one can't win in a fistfight with those odds.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:36:45 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:33:18 PM, 000ike wrote:

Reasoning takes a second seat when majority rule is involved. One can't argue with 5 people affirming each other's correctness, like one can't win in a fistfight with those odds.

You're thinking politics bud. Majority rule has nothing to do with truth. Unless of course you're a post-modernist... which I don't think anyone is really a post-modernist" it's a myth at best.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:38:24 PM

Help out with the conversation then.
:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:40:20 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:31:38 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

This is so elementary, the bible is largely descriptive in those mentioned above, not prescriptive, & when it is prescriptive, like the "driving out of the Canaanittes," the bible uses language that was common in the ANE in that day to illustrate a seizure of military encampments. See Paul Copan, he deals with this stuff better than I can.

But such a simple understanding on a text is too hasty without any real critical engagement.

If you couldn't tell that point was actually directed against the OP. In any case, yes the Bible is somewhat descriptive. However books like Deuteronomy and Leviticus are mostly precriptive. They prescribe rules. These rules are what atheists generally dismiss as immoral. Whether they are immoral is a different matter but at least recognize that the Bible isn't just a history book, it's also a holy book which prescribes how to live the good life.
:
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:45:31 PM

If you're feeling froggy then jump. * Otherwise...

* http://www.chacha.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:51:20 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:40:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:

If you couldn't tell that point was actually directed against the OP. In any case, yes the Bible is somewhat descriptive. However books like Deuteronomy and Leviticus are mostly precriptive. They prescribe rules. These rules are what atheists generally dismiss as immoral. Whether they are immoral is a different matter but at least recognize that the Bible isn't just a history book, it's also a holy book which prescribes how to live the good life.

First, the "Driving outs" aren't normative like the ten commandments are. Rather the conquests were consequential for a brief moment in history in order to establish Israels identity & also to stop the depravity among the Canaanite people (they weren't angels, in fact God made the hebrew people wait 400 years until their enemies were 100% corrupted... doesn't seem capricious to me).

Second, the bible isn't just about "how to live a good life" that stuffs for cabbage patch bible stories. It's a library of man's apprehension of God, if God so revealed himself to man.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:51:57 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:45:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

If you're feeling froggy then jump. * Otherwise...

* http://www.chacha.com...

I prefer Mr. Blonde's perspective on the matter. Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?
:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 8:53:39 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:51:20 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

First, the "Driving outs" aren't normative like the ten commandments are. Rather the conquests were consequential for a brief moment in history in order to establish Israels identity & also to stop the depravity among the Canaanite people (they weren't angels, in fact God made the hebrew people wait 400 years until their enemies were 100% corrupted... doesn't seem capricious to me).

Second, the bible isn't just about "how to live a good life" that stuffs for cabbage patch bible stories. It's a library of man's apprehension of God, if God so revealed himself to man.

Read what I'm saying. The Bible is not purely historical. While it does cover a lot of the alleged history of the world and the plight of various prophets, at least admit that it does make SOME prescriptive claims which may be analyzed.
:
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 9:03:46 PM
At 6/17/2012 8:53:39 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 6/17/2012 8:51:20 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

Read what I'm saying.

I have, perhaps a better articulation of what you actually mean will suffice.

The Bible is not purely historical. While it does cover a lot of the alleged history of the world and the plight of various prophets, at least admit that it does make SOME prescriptive claims which may be analyzed.

Now read what I'm saying (see we can both do it this way, easy peasy): My admittance that the Bible makes prescriptions is inherent in my mention of the 10 commandments. And of course such prescriptions can be, and should be, and were written to be analyzed. That's just obvious.

What we're arguing about is what commands atheists say are immoral. I want to put such commands, first in their proper & unbiased context, and second question what those commands actually are (hey! that's analyzing.. isn't it?).
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 9:06:29 PM
At 6/17/2012 9:03:46 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:
At 6/17/2012 8:53:39 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Read what I'm saying.

I have, perhaps a better articulation of what you actually mean will suffice.

The Bible is not purely historical. While it does cover a lot of the alleged history of the world and the plight of various prophets, at least admit that it does make SOME prescriptive claims which may be analyzed.

Now read what I'm saying (see we can both do it this way, easy peasy): My admittance that the Bible makes prescriptions is inherent in my mention of the 10 commandments. And of course such prescriptions can be, and should be, and were written to be analyzed. That's just obvious.

What we're arguing about is what commands atheists say are immoral. I want to put such commands, first in their proper & unbiased context, and second question what those commands actually are (hey! that's analyzing.. isn't it?).

The spiel about context in moral prescriptions from the Bible gets old. Obviously Christianity offers an eternal conception of morality. Prescribing something one day is in the same moral context as any other according to this conception.
: