Jump to topic:

Coexist

Xris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 12:32:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Coexist is a organization based in London, England. They want to promote that Jews, Christians, and Muslims look past their differences. Their stated mission purpose, and I quote, is to : "promote, encourage and support engagement between Jews, Christians and Muslims both individually and through their respective communities through dialogue, education and research." Some websites even claim that they want the Jews, Christians and Muslims to join together and create some kind of "super religion". Is it even possible for Jews, Muslims and Christians to promote each others beliefs in education, or even to make it into some "super religion".
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 12:46:14 PM
The Fool: you mean to Murder all Athiest in cold blood.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 12:47:52 PM
Promote each other's beliefs: I'm sure it can be explained, but I doubt it'll be promoted. After all, every advocate of one religion will believe that the others are false, so they won't put much stock in them.

Make a Superreligion: If they were weak enough in their beliefs to abandon them in order to make a new religion based on all three, there wouldn't be religious conflict in the first place.
My legend begins in the 12th century
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 12:52:11 PM
At 6/19/2012 12:46:14 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: you mean to Murder all Athiest in cold blood.
Well, one good turn deserves another!

At 6/19/2012 12:47:52 PM, TheOrator wrote:
Make a Superreligion: If they were weak enough in their beliefs to abandon them in order to make a new religion based on all three, there wouldn't be religious conflict in the first place.
There will ALWAYS be religious conflict...unless there is no religion, of course! Then there will just be conflict!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 12:52:33 PM
At 6/19/2012 12:32:11 PM, Xris wrote:
Coexist is a organization based in London, England. They want to promote that Jews, Christians, and Muslims look past their differences. Their stated mission purpose, and I quote, is to : "promote, encourage and support engagement between Jews, Christians and Muslims both individually and through their respective communities through dialogue, education and research." Some websites even claim that they want the Jews, Christians and Muslims to join together and create some kind of "super religion". Is it even possible for Jews, Muslims and Christians to promote each others beliefs in education, or even to make it into some "super religion".

Only someone with very little respect for their religion would be willing to promote the beliefs of other religions. I would say a "super religion" is highly unlikely.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 1:23:29 PM
At 6/19/2012 12:47:52 PM, TheOrator wrote:
There will ALWAYS be religious conflict...unless there is no religion, of course! Then there will just be conflict!

My point exactly. I don't mean religious violence, just something like "Jesus is the son of God" "No he isn't the song of God hasn't come yet" "You don't know what you're talking about" "Yes I do, you don't".
My legend begins in the 12th century
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 1:28:58 PM
At 6/19/2012 1:23:29 PM, TheOrator wrote:
My point exactly. I don't mean religious violence, just something like "Jesus is the son of God" "No he isn't the song of God hasn't come yet" "You don't know what you're talking about" "Yes I do, you don't".
Yes, I see. And as you noted, the point works either way: There will ALWAYS be religious differences...unless there is no religion, of course! Then there will just be differences!
WOS
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 2:09:47 PM
The idea is internally incoherent. The whole point of the major religions is that they believe that there religion ALONE is correct. Why would they promote religions which contradict their view? It makes about as much sense as scientists and creationists teaming up to promote their views together. Besides that, most Christians and Muslims believe in eternal punishment for disbelieve so their rational purpose is to dissuade as many people as possible from other religions. Simply being hippie dippy and lovey dovey can't make a Christian or a Muslim forget about the actual tenets of their religion.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 2:40:39 PM
At 6/19/2012 2:34:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Unitarian Universalism

Good luck with that.
WOS