Jump to topic:

Rash of Superstitious Atheists

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:10:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have had a rash of atheists claim that Religious people are superstitious and I giggle everytime I cite them this study and article.

Atheists are MORE superstitious than religious people.

http://online.wsj.com...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:16:18 PM
And this doesn't surprise me. No human is any more or less superstitious than another. We are only superstitious in different ways.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:19:16 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:16:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
And this doesn't surprise me. No human is any more or less superstitious than another. We are only superstitious in different ways.

Interesting statement.
WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:21:16 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:10:47 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I have had a rash of atheists claim that Religious people are superstitious and I giggle everytime I cite them this study and article.

Actually, that study compares evangelical, born-again Christians to everyone else, including liberal Christians. And yeah, it makes sense that evangelical Christians would not believe in Bigfoot, UFOs, etc. -- their heads are already filled to capacity with bullsh!t. There's just no room left.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:25:01 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:21:16 PM, WriterDave wrote:

Actually, that study compares evangelical, born-again Christians to everyone else, including liberal Christians. And yeah, it makes sense that evangelical Christians would not believe in Bigfoot, UFOs, etc. -- their heads are already filled to capacity with bullsh!t. There's just no room left.

This is why we need to bring them back into the fold! Come back to Christs One True Church: the Catholic Church!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:28:51 PM

I think the difference is that religious people practically by definition believe in scientifically impossible/supernatural things, and the history of any of the monotheistic religions is full of what we would now call superstitions (demons and devils and djinns infesting the earth, things we now understand being part of nature as miraculous)

Whereas atheism does not by definition believe in supernatural things, and history of atheism/agnosticism/reason/secularism - whatever you want to call it - is not full of what we would now call superstitions.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:33:02 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:28:51 PM, jat93 wrote:

I think the difference is that religious people practically by definition believe in scientifically impossible/supernatural things, and the history of any of the monotheistic religions is full of what we would now call superstitions (demons and devils and djinns infesting the earth, things we now understand being part of nature as miraculous)

Whereas atheism does not by definition believe in supernatural things, and history of atheism/agnosticism/reason/secularism - whatever you want to call it - is not full of what we would now call superstitions.

Correlation does not equal causation. There's nothing inherent in believing that no religion is divinely inspired by a perfect invisible deity that will lead to being superstitious. However, if someone believes in the supernatural and miracles and the scientifically impossible and heaven/hell, I would not be at all surprised if such a person were superstitious, because they already believe in so many things that defy reason and science and naturalism.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:33:16 PM

Wow not a vitriolic or biased post....at all...
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:36:27 PM

Supernatural is not impossible. Conflating.
Demons are not only scientifically possible but are highly plausible given two sets of evidences.

Again is that merely trying to misrepresent the beliefs of others via equivocating (hiding behind the ambiguity of the term superstition)?

Religious people do not define themselves as superstitious.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:41:14 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:33:02 PM, jat93 wrote:

Correlation does not equal causation. There's nothing inherent in believing that no religion is divinely inspired by a perfect invisible deity that will lead to being superstitious. However, if someone believes in the supernatural and miracles and the scientifically impossible and heaven/hell, I would not be at all surprised if such a person were superstitious, because they already believe in so many things that defy reason and science and naturalism.

Nothing about religion inherently defies reason and science.
Theology is the pinnacle of enlightened thought. It works to understand all fields of academia rather than relegating themselves to merely science or the natural. They work to understand philosophy, metaphysics, abstractions and yet even science. It is a worldview that does not preclude ones self to presuppositionalism.

As to correlation vs. causation.... the point was that there was undeniable empirical evidence that atheism correlates to superstitious. The question being explored if atheism increases will superstition? Thus it is asking is it causation.
WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 4:57:45 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:33:16 PM, Gileandos wrote:

I came to DDO not to bring peace, but a sword.
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 5:03:28 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:57:45 PM, WriterDave wrote:

I do not mind a rhetorical war in its truest sense, but coming with vitriol and bias is to come to war without the armament of logic and reason. Not exactly wise....

It is like asking the Navy Seals to defeat some baby rats...
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 5:07:56 PM
At 6/20/2012 4:25:01 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

This is why we need to bring them back into the fold! Come back to Christs One True Church: the Catholic Church!

HA!
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 5:10:47 PM

Ha! Swing it brother. I myself have a shield called Christ swing away!
TheAsylum
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 5:35:22 PM
This coming from the same person who defended the calls for harry potter to be banned because of its potential for inducing a magical epidemic.

Seriously though, from what I've read, the study doesn't seem to be comparing the typical atheist to the typical believer. It stretches credulity that a metaphysical naturalist for example (on average) would be more superstitious than a theist. Without being able to look at the data, this is of course speculation on my part, but the way the link collates the results, it certainly looks fishy. It just stands to reason though, given Christians will almost certainly will believe in superstitious things (God, souls, heaven/hell), while atheists (provided they understand the label) will almost certainly reject all of these things.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 5:48:16 PM
What is the difference between a religion and superstition? I always though that a religion was a version of s superstitoin. I don't see how religion and superstion are different.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 6:29:11 PM
UFOs and Atlantis =/= superstitious
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 6:30:31 PM
At least bigfoot, palm reading, and astrology aren't self-contradictory and fear-based.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 6:59:31 PM
A precise (or even working) definition of "superstition" would be nice. The wikipedia definition seems to be insufficient to me:

"Superstition is a belief in supernatural causality: that one event leads to the cause of another without any physical process linking the two events[citation needed]; a false conception of causality, such as astrology, omens, witchcraft, etc, that contradicts natural science"

I can think of about a thousand counterexamples and worries to this right off the bat.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 7:08:43 PM
At 6/20/2012 5:03:28 PM, Gileandos wrote:

I do not mind a rhetorical war in its truest sense, but coming with vitriol and bias is to come to war without the armament of logic and reason. Not exactly wise....

Bias is unavoidable. Vitriol is often an appropriate response to Christianity, in cases where logic and reason would be wasted. If you want a logical and reasonable argument about Christianity, you know where the challenge button is.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 7:35:01 PM
At 6/20/2012 5:35:22 PM, unitedandy wrote:
This coming from the same person who defended the calls for harry potter to be banned because of its potential for inducing a magical epidemic.

Your ability to misstate history is very.... par for the course with your abilities.

The entire statement above is bringing in an irrelevant topic, a red herring, to have readers to 'question motivation' of my person while the nature of the topic is an equally dishonest attempt to use 'cult of personality', to detract from my likability by citing a subject that brings condescension.

The funniest part is I merely corrected you on misstating their argument and rationale. I clearly stated I did not concur with them.

Seriously though, from what I've read, the study doesn't seem to be comparing the typical atheist to the typical believer. It stretches credulity that a metaphysical naturalist for example (on average) would be more superstitious than a theist. Without being able to look at the data, this is of course speculation on my part, but the way the link collates the results, it certainly looks fishy. It just stands to reason though, given Christians will almost certainly will believe in superstitious things (God, souls, heaven/hell), while atheists (provided they understand the label) will almost certainly reject all of these things.

The poll, was exactly that, a poll. It literally polled people on what they actually believe. It was not an assessment of 'typical' definitions.

It first shows that self proclaimed atheists do not understand the label.
Second, your response is merely your opinion on what atheists should not or should believe in.

For example, they can believe in an afterlife, much like Star Trek's afterlife whereby the dead have their neural activity become part of the radiation of Saturn's rings.
(For the record I aspire to be a .003 variant within the radioactive field when I die).
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 7:43:57 PM
At 6/20/2012 7:08:43 PM, WriterDave wrote:

Bias is unavoidable. Vitriol is often an appropriate response to Christianity, in cases where logic and reason would be wasted. If you want a logical and reasonable argument about Christianity, you know where the challenge button is.

Thank you for admitting your viewpoint is biased. The very fact should be unsettling for you as bias dis-conforms to accuracy of viewpoint.

Compounding this you are affirming emotional bitterness toward Christianity which also detracts from one's accuracy.

Both counts you are confessing you are highly likely inaccurate in your viewpoints.

I love a good debate, but my endeavors are schoolwork currently.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 8:14:07 PM
At 6/20/2012 7:35:01 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/20/2012 5:35:22 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Your ability to misstate history is very.... par for the course with your abilities.

The entire statement above is bringing in an irrelevant topic, a red herring, to have readers to 'question motivation' of my person while the nature of the topic is an equally dishonest attempt to use 'cult of personality', to detract from my likability by citing a subject that brings condescension.

The funniest part is I merely corrected you on misstating their argument and rationale. I clearly stated I did not concur with them.

You said something like you understood why people would potentially want to ban the books, even though you disagreed with it, because of the dangers of promoting magic. So allow me to giggle at your belief that atheists are more superstitious than believers. Even if it were true, and was some sort of valid criticism, the fact is that you yourself hold similarly silly beliefs, while I'm pretty sure most of atheists you will address won't believe in bigfoot, Nessie, palm reading or alternative (junk) science.

The poll, was exactly that, a poll. It literally polled people on what they actually believe. It was not an assessment of 'typical' definitions.

It first shows that self proclaimed atheists do not understand the label.

I agree, and that was one of my points. Any "atheist" who believes in a personal God (your link indicates this group) are a confused lot indeed.

Second, your response is merely your opinion on what atheists should not or should believe in.

For example, they can believe in an afterlife, much like Star Trek's afterlife whereby the dead have their neural activity become part of the radiation of Saturn's rings.
(For the record I aspire to be a .003 variant within the radioactive field when I die).

I don't really know if this is comparing non-Christian schools of thought (ie lumping in atheists, New Agers and so on) with Christian thought. If it is, I wouldn't take it remotely seriously, for obvious reasons. If not, I would be immensely surprised. The idea that atheists (and particularly so called Skeptics, like Shermer or Randi) would be more gullible to belief in the paranormal would be deeply counter-intuitive, and I'd want to see the whole study.

But even then, so what? I take alternative medicine as seriously as I take alternative science (creationism). I think astrology, palm-reading, fortune telling and so on are so obviously false, so trivially untrue that I barely give them a second glance. I myself am certainly not convinced by these things, and I don't really see why i should care that my group may be slightly more open to believing this claptrap, although I'd be amazed if it were the case.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 8:48:10 PM
From what I can glean from reviews, the baylor numbers refer to grouping together non-christian thought, which in my mind, makes it (as a commentary on atheism) pretty much worthless. In fact, even a favourable review notes:

"Bigfoot, fortune-telling, and UFOs are mostly the predilections of unbelievers who can't quite bring themselves to admit to being atheists. "

http://chalcedon.edu...
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 10:15:00 PM
At 6/20/2012 8:48:10 PM, unitedandy wrote:
From what I can glean from reviews, the baylor numbers refer to grouping together non-christian thought, which in my mind, makes it (as a commentary on atheism) pretty much worthless. In fact, even a favourable review notes:

"Bigfoot, fortune-telling, and UFOs are mostly the predilections of unbelievers who can't quite bring themselves to admit to being atheists. "

http://chalcedon.edu...

The Baylor study would have been stupid to 'lump' all non christians together.

The study asked for a self proclamation. Then followed to ask about individual beliefs. So basically the people polled are confused, not the study. (As I have stated in the past, the average street atheist is typically not an actual atheist. Heck, even atheists here argue about the definition.)

As to your link I cite:
Baylor also asked respondents if they believed that people would go to heaven when they died. Liberal theologians predicted that most people would not say they believed in heaven, but as usual, they turned out to be wrong (p. 69). Baylor found in 2005 67% of respondents "absolutely sure" that people went to heaven and another 17% saying "probably"—a total of 84%. Researchers asked again in 2007 and got exactly the same results (pp. 69–70).
"The primary finding here is that few Americans think heaven is very exclusive … few now expect heaven to be restricted to Christians," say the authors (p. 72). Perhaps these Christians never read John 14:6, "[N]o man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

This shows the websites bias (or lack of knowledge about Christian thought) as the vast vast majority of Christians do not hold Heaven as 'exclusive' to Christians. This is merely a couple of denominations and some vocal T.V. teachers who hold heaven as exclusive.
WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 12:10:50 AM
At 6/20/2012 7:43:57 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Thank you for admitting your viewpoint is biased. The very fact should be unsettling for you as bias dis-conforms to accuracy of viewpoint.

If that were true, then nobody could be certain of anything. Everyone has bias. It's a human thing. The trick is to know when your bias might be interfering with your critical thought processes.

Compounding this you are affirming emotional bitterness toward Christianity which also detracts from one's accuracy.

I mock Christianity on purpose because, quite frankly, it's the best way to get through to people.

Both counts you are confessing you are highly likely inaccurate in your viewpoints.

Hardly.

And yet you posted a controversial link with loaded language in a forum designed for and promoting discussion.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 12:13:42 AM
At 6/21/2012 12:10:50 AM, WriterDave wrote:

If that were true, then nobody could be certain of anything. Everyone has bias. It's a human thing. The trick is to know when your bias might be interfering with your critical thought processes.

I mock Christianity on purpose because, quite frankly, it's the best way to get through to people.

Hardly.

And yet you posted a controversial link with loaded language in a forum designed for and promoting discussion.

Not exactly time consuming as an actual debate.
WriterDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 12:23:09 AM
At 6/21/2012 12:13:42 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Hardly.

I'm glad you take formal debates seriously. When you have the time to seriously engage the issue, then, you know where the challenge button is.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 12:32:00 AM
At 6/21/2012 12:23:09 AM, WriterDave wrote:
At 6/21/2012 12:13:42 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Hardly.

I'm glad you take formal debates seriously. When you have the time to seriously engage the issue, then, you know where the challenge button is.

What issue? That bias that manifests in the extreme form of vitriol increases the likelihood of inaccuracy?

Also, to saying that vitriol against Christianity is 'a way to reach people' seems to be backing out and making it seem as though now you are saying it is not 'real' emotion, but a vehicle for communication.