Jump to topic:

The Literal Interpretation of Hell

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 9:17:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I had to drive around a lot yesterday for work and as I normally do, I got to thinking.

By "a literal interpretation of Hell", I'm talking about the eternal fire and brimstone, demons and pitchforks... that sort of thing; if that's what you think happens to some people when they die, this set of questions is for you...

Pain is defined as "physical suffering or discomfort caused by illness or injury."
PHYSICAL. A quality of the organic, not the non-physical.
Which makes me wonder... How does a soul feel pain? What is the purpose of a soul being able to feel pain? The purpose of a body feeling pain is to make it aware of injury and sickness and hopefully prevent/minimise/reduce said injury/illness...
If a soul can feel pain, that is mechanism created by God solely for the purpose of torture, right?

And how effective is torturing a soul? Torturing a human is ineffective because we tend to do anything to stop the pain, including telling any lie we think our captors want to hear. Torture also is known for driving people quite insane.
But a soul is eternal... So either the torture is going to be ineffective because the lack of a physical body being damaged (ala, torturing a body) seems to remove the relevancy of pain. Alternatively, the torture is effective (same how...) and the soul does feel some sort of pain. Well, it won't take long for the soul to go completely insane and forget why it's being punished in the first place.

I dunno. The whole concept seems retarded.

Anyway, the point isn't to get into some stupidly complex level of detail regarding the mechanics of souls and Hell. It's to point out that the Bible doesn't go into specifics... So I find it laughable that anyone would actually try to tell me that I'm going to go to Hell... Because they don't even know what Hell actually is.

Matthew 13:50 "furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth"
Mark 9:48 "where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched"
Revelation 14:10 "he will be tormented with fire and brimstone"

Wat?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 9:25:17 PM
You spelled wut wrong at the end.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 9:29:19 PM
At 6/21/2012 9:25:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
You spelled wut wrong at the end.

Wot?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 2:56:45 AM
Heaven and hell are the same place. When we die, we watch Boxxy videos for all eternity. If you love Boxxy, it is heaven, if you hate Boxxy, it is hell.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 3:12:57 AM
At 6/22/2012 2:56:45 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Heaven and hell are the same place. When we die, we watch Boxxy videos for all eternity. If you love Boxxy, it is heaven, if you hate Boxxy, it is hell.

NOOOOOO
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 3:18:19 AM
I don't really see a problem with maintaining that God, as an omnipotent being, could arrange things such that one's soul feels pain. Isn't the idea that one's soul consists of all the mental experiences one has? Pain is a mental phenomena. It would be more contradictory to the Christian view to maintain that merely one's body could be tortured, since it would be emptied of mental content.